Sleep Apnea

I've pulled mine onto the floor a few times...now I have the nightstand up against the bed so it falls onto the mattress and it's fall is cushioned.

It's odd how I've become it's become habit when I'm half asleep to list the tubing into the air when I flip over. One night I think I pulled too hard and realized the odd sound I was hearing was the air escaping from the CPAP, 'cause I pulled the tube out of the machine.

I have one of the memory foam mattress toppers on my bed. I few times I've found the tube happily nestled under me, in the foam.

I spent a few minutes last evening adjusting the mask and realized I just didn't have it tight enough. So, I tightened it and was able to sleep all night with it. The condensation is still bothersome though. I have to dry it out a couple of times during the night. I keep the moist setting at about 1/2 and if I turn it off, my throat dries out. I guess I will just have to deal with the occasional drips.
Been thinking about you and your condensation issues all day.

DH picked up his Cpap machine today and I went with him. The respiratory therapist made a big deal about the machine being lower than his head. She said that it must be lower than his head or water will run into his face. She also said some people like to run the tubing over the headboard and that this is a really bad idea for the same reason. So maybe you could try lowering the height of your machine if it's not already lower than your head.

Lowering it sounds like a good idea. It could sit on a small table or stool next to the bed. I don't use the heater, so I don't have the same water issues.

Did you guys have trouble with the plastic smell of the tubing?

Originally I washed it in regular Dawn as instructed and I still hated the smell. Then I started using Dawn PLUS Odor Eraser and that seemed to neutralize the plastic smell.

I am going to a sleep study Sunday and was wondering if someone can tell me what to expect.

Did you guys have trouble with the plastic smell of the tubing?

OMG! YES!!! I hated that smell!!! It finally went away after a number of washings with vinegar and water, Ivory soap and water, and just plain getting older!;)

Even now when I have certain medical tests that require heavy sedation, they use a small breathing tube and the plastic smell with that is hideous!

Overall, I believe I have become significantly more sensitive to smells now. I've also become a little more sensitive to airborne allergens (i.e. pollen).

I am going to a sleep study Sunday and was wondering if someone can tell me what to expect.

Hi ilovedisney1! :welcome: to the thread!!

Different places do different things...but when I went I had to be there by 9pm. They had me watch a short video about sleep apnea and basically get ready for bed. There was a tv in the room and they showed me where the bathroom was and all that.

Then the technician took me into another room to attach all the wires. I don't know how many there are...but it's ALOT!! They don't hurt at all but they can be bothersome. If any of them come un-attached while you are sleeping, they'll come in and re-attach them. The ones on your head are attached using some kind of thick "gunk" lol. The ones on your body are mostly attached using the same kind of "electrode" patches that are used for EKGs. You'll also most likely have a Oxygen monitor on your finger.

After they have you attached, you will sleep as best you can while they monitor all those electrodes.

Sometimes if the apnea is really evident they will let you try a CPAP machine and mask that night. If not, they'll wake you up in the morning, take all the electrodes off and send you on your merry way.

Think of it like sleeping in a hotel room...it's a bit weird but not something you should let yourself get too stressed about.

Let us know if you have any other questions...and definitely come back and let us know how it went!!

Last night was DH's night 2 with the machine and he made it all night long. He's using the nasal pillows. I think the machine is incredibly quiet and I can't even hear it running....UNLESS....he opens his mouth. Which he seems to do relatively often. Then the air is rushing out of his mouth and it's much noisier.

I don't really care about the noise part of it but I'm afraid he's not getting the benefit he should be getting from the machine if all the air is rushing out of his mouth instead of wherever it's supposed to be going. But then again, maybe he doesn't do it often enough to be a problem, what do I know? Apparently it wasn't an issue when they monitored him during the sleep study.

So, here's the question...do we ignore this for now until he goes for his first followup appt in a month or so. Or do we call the medical supply company and request a chin strap?

Does he open his mouth a lot while sleeping, or does it wake him and he closes his mouth and goes back to sleep?

When I open my mouth it makes a wind tunnel and as far as I know, wakes me up. Since the noise and feeling is annoying, I fine myself wanting to close my mouth. Ask you husband if he's aware he's opening his mouth.

The fact I can yawn, sneeze or just take a breath through my mouth keeps me from getting claustrophobic.

As for the sleep study, I presume they gave you instructions, not to drink caffeine or anything else that might keep you awake.

My sleep center is also the doctors office, so around 5 or 6am when I'd wake up, I would be allowed to go home.

The stuff they use to hold the electrodes to the top of you head feels like a waxy putty. You will need to take a shower to wash it out when you get home. The second time, I brought my old 'chemo bonnet' to wear going home and was able to just go to back to sleep with it on, and shower later in the morning.

OMG! YES!!! I hated that smell!!! It finally went away after a number of washings with vinegar and water, Ivory soap and water, and just plain getting older!;)

Even now when I have certain medical tests that require heavy sedation, they use a small breathing tube and the plastic smell with that is hideous!

Overall, I believe I have become significantly more sensitive to smells now. I've also become a little more sensitive to airborne allergens (i.e. pollen).

Hi ilovedisney1! :welcome: to the thread!!

Different places do different things...but when I went I had to be there by 9pm. They had me watch a short video about sleep apnea and basically get ready for bed. There was a tv in the room and they showed me where the bathroom was and all that.

Then the technician took me into another room to attach all the wires. I don't know how many there are...but it's ALOT!! They don't hurt at all but they can be bothersome. If any of them come un-attached while you are sleeping, they'll come in and re-attach them. The ones on your head are attached using some kind of thick "gunk" lol. The ones on your body are mostly attached using the same kind of "electrode" patches that are used for EKGs. You'll also most likely have a Oxygen monitor on your finger.

After they have you attached, you will sleep as best you can while they monitor all those electrodes.

Sometimes if the apnea is really evident they will let you try a CPAP machine and mask that night. If not, they'll wake you up in the morning, take all the electrodes off and send you on your merry way.

Think of it like sleeping in a hotel room...it's a bit weird but not something you should let yourself get too stressed about.

Let us know if you have any other questions...and definitely come back and let us know how it went!!

Thanks for all the info. I am going for the sleep study on Sunday.

Well I went to the Sleep Study and I never had to use the CPAP. So that is good news. I have to wait 2 weeks for them to go over all the info. But the lady did say that I snored mild to moderate but that was all she could tell me.

I just had my second sleep study done after 5 years. Big change in my air pressure. I went from a nine to 14! I knew I wasn't getting a good quality sleep, so I asked for another study. Today I got my my new and improved sleep machine, and a new mask. I can't wait to try it out.

What kills me is the price of all the equipment. I suppose it's worth it if I can get a good sleep and not have to worry about possibly dying from a stroke or heart attack. I'm diganosed with severe apnea.

I just had my second sleep study done after 5 years. Big change in my air pressure. I went from a nine to 14! I knew I wasn't getting a good quality sleep, so I asked for another study. Today I got my my new and improved sleep machine, and a new mask. I can't wait to try it out.

What kills me is the price of all the equipment. I suppose it's worth it if I can get a good sleep and not have to worry about possibly dying from a stroke or heart attack. I'm diganosed with severe apnea.
Does insurance cover a second study? My pressure setting is only a 5, but I think it needs to be higher. I've tried to figure out how to up the setting myself, but no luck. :guilty:

Does insurance cover a second study? My pressure setting is only a 5, but I think it needs to be higher. I've tried to figure out how to up the setting myself, but no luck. :guilty:
I've been thinking about these 2 posts as my DH just got his machine less than a month ago. Truly no criticism intended, but here's my question.....wouldn't your doctor pick up on the need for higher pressure or a new sleep study based on an annual visit where you bring your memory card in? I'm assuming they would be able to see if you were still having apnea episodes or if the mask was leaking too much and so on. I hope that this is how it goes as I don't want it to be a "do it yourself" kind of thing because I'm afraid DH/I would miss important things and he wouldn't be getting the full benefit of the mask so I'd like to place our faith in the hands of the doctor and that little memory card that records all the info.

Please set me straight and thanks for your help!

I've been thinking about these 2 posts as my DH just got his machine less than a month ago. Truly no criticism intended, but here's my question.....wouldn't your doctor pick up on the need for higher pressure or a new sleep study based on an annual visit where you bring your memory card in? I'm assuming they would be able to see if you were still having apnea episodes or if the mask was leaking too much and so on. I hope that this is how it goes as I don't want it to be a "do it yourself" kind of thing because I'm afraid DH/I would miss important things and he wouldn't be getting the full benefit of the mask so I'd like to place our faith in the hands of the doctor and that little memory card that records all the info.

Well, first off, the older cpap machine like I had didn't have a memory card. That is something new. Also, I never had an annual visit with the doctor. I have a followup 2 months after being on the new pressure.

I've had my machine for over two years now and have never been back to the sleep doc for a re-check or anything.

You will see your respiratory therapist/equipment provider regularly for replacement masks, hoses, filters, etc. They can also advise you on new machines. Typically, after about 5 years you may want to see about getting a new machine and/or seeing if there is any need for "maintenance" on the one you have.

As new technology develops, it's a good idea to see if there are any changes in the mask or machine that you have. For example, my equipment supplier has told me about some newer masks (at least they are new to our area) designed specifically for women. Most masks are designed for men and are just 'scaled down' to fit women. But there is supposedly a new nasal pillows mask just for women and I'm anxious to try it!

I believe that you may be your best advocate for new sleep studies. You may notice you are feeling tired more often, or not sleeping well. And if there are not any obvious other reasons for that, talk to your PCP about another sleep study. As far as I know, it's not something that you will regularly do...

My cpap is less than a year old, and I was told the memory card only shows how much I use it, it doesn't record other stats.

My machines has a ramp up feature. It starts at a 5 and within a half hour builds to a 12.

I would say if you feel the machine is not strong enough to make an appointment with your doctor. They will discuss the situation and recommend the appropriate action. If you want to know if your insurance covers a 2nd sleep study, call them. Mine covered my 2nd one, but it was a continuation of the 1st one really. I have had my machine for about a month, just had a follow up with the sleep dr. and he said to come see him in a year. So, if it has been longer than a year, I would think another visit would be needed.

Update~ Thought I would update you all regarding the accessories I recently ordered from cpap.com. I ordered the 10 foot hose, hose cover and silencing cap. I am very happy with my purchases. The longer hose makes it so much easier to move in bed and the hose cover is fleece and comfy. I highly recommend these. Just makes it more comfortable and I am sleeping better. The silence cap is fairly good. I think it reduces some of the breathing sound. Not sure if it is worth the $15, but anything helps right now. My dh is happier so that is worth it for me.

Update~ Thought I would update you all regarding the accessories I recently ordered from cpap.com. I ordered the 10 foot hose, hose cover and silencing cap. I am very happy with my purchases. The longer hose makes it so much easier to move in bed and the hose cover is fleece and comfy. I highly recommend these. Just makes it more comfortable and I am sleeping better. The silence cap is fairly good. I think it reduces some of the breathing sound. Not sure if it is worth the $15, but anything helps right now. My dh is happier so that is worth it for me.
What exactly is a silencing cap? What type of mask do you use? Our insurance will pay to replace the hose every few months or so. I wonder if your insurance would pay for your new hose? Are you the one that had all the condensation? If so, how's that going?

Well, first off, the older cpap machine like I had didn't have a memory card. That is something new. Also, I never had an annual visit with the doctor. I have a followup 2 months after being on the new pressure.

I've had my machine for over two years now and have never been back to the sleep doc for a re-check or anything.

My cpap is less than a year old, and I was told the memory card only shows how much I use it, it doesn't record other stats.
DH just went today for his first re-check with the Dr. It's been about 3 weeks since he got the machine. They want to see him again in 3 months. They want to see him regularly to see how he's doing and apparently the insurance company also wants him to be seen as proof he is still using the machine? Something like that. Anyway, the doc was able to tell him how many episodes he's still having (avg of 5.2 which is apparently great!) and whether the mask is leaking (it was leaking when he first started and then no leaks and now just lately leaking again) and all kinds of cool stuff. He was also able to have the doc adjust the ramp feature right there in the office on the memory card? He wanted the ramp shortened and supposedly it's done on the card. I'm not quite sure about that as DH did not bring the machine, just the card.

Anyway, it looks like DH will be seeing the doc regularly and I'm thrilled about that. They may back it down to annually after this next visit in 3 months.

What exactly is a silencing cap? What type of mask do you use? Our insurance will pay to replace the hose every few months or so. I wonder if your insurance would pay for your new hose? Are you the one that had all the condensation? If so, how's that going?

The silencing cap goes over the filter intake area and helps cut down on the breathing noise.

Yes, my insurance will also pay to replace hoses every 6 months, but I didn't want to wait that long. I wanted to "customize" my machine to make it more comfortable for me to use. The hose was only $15 or so so it wasn't a big deal for me. The mask I use is a Fisher and Paykel memory foam with neoprene head gear. very light weight and comfortable. I get the condensation when I use the heat and the tech said it was really my own breath that was condensing inside the mask. When I keep the heat off, it is much less of a problem.

I am actually getting addicted to using it. That totally surprises me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter