Sleep Apnea

I will consider surgery if cpap does not work. But only as a last resort.

FYI-I found the perfect mask for me! Its the respronics gel "Comfort Gel" medium. It was amazing. My nose even stayed painfree! WOO HOOO

I see my ENT tomorrow to get my test results. Are there any specific questions that I should ask? :confused3

Aimee...congrats on finding a good mask!!! I hope you get a good nights sleep!;)

Blu...good luck with your visit tomorrow. I can't really think of too many questions. I guess if your doc prescribes the CPAP machine, you can ask how long it will take to get yours and get it set up for you. And ask how they process things. You might also ask your doc to give you the written prescriptions for both the machine and the "mask of nasal comfort" (rather than a specific mask brand/model). Some insurance companies "rent" the machines for a short period to ensure you are actually using it. Once your compliance is established, then they'll buy the machine for you. You might actually have more questions for your insurance carrier. You might ask them what they cover, how often you can replace a mask, how often you get new equipment (hoses, etc.).

Let us know what happens!

I was really surprised at the report from my ENT. He said that I stopped breathing for 55 seconds and my oxygen level dropped to 84%! :scared1:

I had 22 episodes per hour.

But, the thing that surprised him was how easily it was corrected with the machine. My setting will be a 5. He said that was very low. I pick it up today!!!! :goodvibes

Hope things with the machine are going well TruBlu. I know how hard those first few nights are! 5 is low, mine is the highest on my machine, a 20! I would love someday to even be at a 10! My poor ears are killing me, I have defective tubes so I do not handle the pressure well when flying or swimming, the pressure on my cpap is like being under water 20 feet, ouch!

Hang in there

I was really surprised at the report from my ENT. He said that I stopped breathing for 55 seconds and my oxygen level dropped to 84%! :scared1:

I had 22 episodes per hour.

But, the thing that surprised him was how easily it was corrected with the machine. My setting will be a 5. He said that was very low. I pick it up today!!!! :goodvibes

Hope things with the machine are going well TruBlu. I know how hard those first few nights are! 5 is low, mine is the highest on my machine, a 20! I would love someday to even be at a 10! My poor ears are killing me, I have defective tubes so I do not handle the pressure well when flying or swimming, the pressure on my cpap is like being under water 20 feet, ouch!

Hang in there
Thanks! So far so good. :goodvibes I guess I've slept with it 3 nights now. It is wonderful!!!! I feel so rested when I get up. AND - so far no more headaches. (I used to have at least a mild one every few days.)

The first night the nasal pillows mask really made my nose hurt. They had the one with the largest nose holes on my mask. I think it was really pulling on my nose. I changed it to the medium one and haven't had any more soreness. I love it so far! :thumbsup2

Blu...I'm glad you are seeing a difference!

I too had the headaches and they went away with the machine

My setting is a happy medium between you and Aimee...it's an 11.

I think my kid tried to drown me last night! :rotfl:
Somehow my humidity dial was turned up to the max. I didn't notice until around 5 am when I started dreaming that I was drowning. I sort-of woke up but just thought I was dreaming it because we saw Pirates of the Caribbean last night. I turned over in the bed and cold water ran down my face. I pulled the mask off, heard gurgling in the tube, lifted the tube up, and about a half cup of water poured out on me. I was SOAKED! I had to change the sheets and my clothes.
Guess I'll check that dial every night now!:upsidedow

Thanks to the OP for letting me know about this thread. I don't have time to read it all right now, but I'll back! :cool1:

Can't seem to get on to the sleep apnea site boards, although I registerd. would someone who belongs there please post that a batch of the

Respironics REMStar Pro M - has been recalled because it "beeps" at random intervals. Apparently they started manufacturing their own chip and didn't discover until later that it wasn't talking to the card - was the explaination I got. I don't know if my dme would have called me or not, but they replaced it right away when I called them.

Hi all..had no idea that sleep apnea had it's own board. I sleep very well now, at night..since hubby got his machine. I was surprised to see how many of you use the water part. Hubby was told about it, but said it wasn't necessary..up to him. So far he hasn't. Did all of your doc's suggest that?
I can't believe the things that the machine seems to have fixed. No more leg cramps, no more headaches. Who would have thought I didn't have to hear that snoring for 40 years?
On his last appointment, the doc did say if hubby dropped 20 pounds, he'd prob see his sleep apnea go away (not what the sleep center said at all..they said he was lucky he hadn't already had a heart attact), so he is trying to watch his calories and do more exercise.
I also didn't know (nor did he) that there were more than 2 types of masks. Luky for him, he hasn't had any trouble with the masks.
He has traveled overseas with his machine, and although it was plugged into the correct outlet, he blew the persons circuit breaker!

Hi DMRick! Welcome to the thread!

My doc didn't really ask about the water part. I'm pretty sure that's just the model he sold to everyone. You don't have to put water in it, but it's nice to have some extra humidity especially in the winter months.

And yes, my sleep doc also told me that if I lost weight I would most likely be able to get off the machine. But that's not a guarantee, I'm sure the weight issue isn't necessarily true for everyone. And I wonder if I would get so used to the machine that sleeping without it would be really odd, you know?

I know what you mean about how many aches and pains it has helped! I also don't seem to have as many headaches or general aches and pains. And I've noticed I have a little more energy.

I think to some extent the masks become a habit...once you get used to a certain one it's hard to switch. But it can take awhile to get used to one.

Hi guys! I still haven't read all the posts in this thread, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed..... :)

Have any of you heard of any type of aromathreapy for the CPAP? My sister thought she read something but couldn't remember where. The smell of the tube isn't bad but it would be nice if it was better. :confused3

Hi guys! I still haven't read all the posts in this thread, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed..... :)

Have any of you heard of any type of aromathreapy for the CPAP? My sister thought she read something but couldn't remember where. The smell of the tube isn't bad but it would be nice if it was better. :confused3

Yes, I have heard of them...saw one on-line too.

I feel your pain about the smell! It took awhile for mine to go away!

One thing you can do is put a small drop of vanilla extract in the water of your humidifier unit. This helps a lot and is cheaper than the aromatherapy stuff.

You have to be really really careful with smells in the machines. They get HIGHLY concentrated and you can really irritate your nasal passages if it's too much.

Hope that helps!

Hi! I'm new to this thread also. So glad that I came across it. My DH just got diagnosed with having sleep apnea (we have been suspicious for many years - he never pursued it) so this is all new to us. He just went for his 2nd sleep study and I'll be back as soon as we find out what the next step will be. I'm sure that we'll have lots of questions. Thanks for the info!

Hi! I'm new to this thread also. So glad that I came across it. My DH just got diagnosed with having sleep apnea (we have been suspicious for many years - he never pursued it) so this is all new to us. He just went for his 2nd sleep study and I'll be back as soon as we find out what the next step will be. I'm sure that we'll have lots of questions. Thanks for the info!

Hey!!

When will you have some updates on how the study went?

He has a follow-up appt. with the pulmonologist on Nov 5th. We were under the impression that he would be receiving a phone call prior to his appt. in reference to someone coming by the house to set him up with the machine and fit him with a mask. Sorry for my ignorance on what it's called.

He has a follow-up appt. with the pulmonologist on Nov 5th. We were under the impression that he would be receiving a phone call prior to his appt. in reference to someone coming by the house to set him up with the machine and fit him with a mask. Sorry for my ignorance on what it's called.

It's okay, you'll learn the lingo!;)

It sounds like someone from the medical equipment company will set him up with everything and give him all the "instructions". It also sounds like they want him to get started on it and see if there are any problems or anything when he sees them on 11-5.

Keep us posted!!

It's okay, you'll learn the lingo!;)

It sounds like someone from the medical equipment company will set him up with everything and give him all the "instructions". It also sounds like they want him to get started on it and see if there are any problems or anything when he sees them on 11-5.

Keep us posted!!

Thanks! I think that you're right. It would make sense to get him started and see how he's doing with everything before his next appt. I hope that we see a difference in how he feels. I'll definitely keep you posted! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter