SDV August 21-24 2008 WE'RE HOME!!!

I'm so glad you guys had a good time!! I'll have to start saving my pennies in a jar with hopes for next year!

Buffysays it is about $2 a day to save up- I don't know if that included airfare or just the cropping and room but with more people in a room it is less money per person.

Rebecca

way cool rebecca! looks like lots of fun!!!! so glad to hear that you had a good time.

$2.00 a day......$2.00 a day....... that's my saying. i really hope i can join you guys next year!

ok everyone tell all of us that stayed home all about it!!!!!
give us details please!!!!

2 dollars a day is just the hotel room and crop space. You'll need to add more for airfare but that is so hard to judge. It all depends on where you are coming from and all.

We have a few ideas for our group name for next year. I'll post a poll later.

I WANT TO SEE MORE DIS'ers THERE NEXT TIME!!!!!!!

Here is part of my SDV report.

My SDV started out on a slightly sour note- my DH’s car’s clutch went out the day before I was leaving. We ended up getting a parishioner to let m\him borrow a car for the weekend but he was a little upset when I left. We ended up talking on the way and it was all okay by the time I arrived. I didn’t run into much rain on my 2 hour drive. It really started raining about 5 miles from the Yacht Club. I arrived at and first pulled up to the main hotel. They unloaded my suitcase and then told me to go over to the convention center and unload my scrap stuff there.

I used a bellhop to help me bring my things in and found my table with Buffy, her mom, Lisa, her mom, and Pam (and a friend from CT Denise who isn’t on the boards) all there and working on things. I put down my stuff (which was the most of anyone at our table and I thought I had packed light. I had to move my car and check into the hotel.

I went over to the hotel but was sent back to the parking lot since I didn’t want valet parking. I couldn’t find a space and ended up parking along a curb (which was a hard spot to find also). I realized I left my money and ID on the scrap floor so I stopped there to retrieve it and then checked in. My room wasn’t ready but I didn’t really care.

I headed back to the swap floor and got acquainted with everyone as I set up my things. I got to work as we chatted. They announced a door prize over at a vendor and I headed over there and also watched a demonstration of a neat product (too expensive to buy for now but maybe as a Christmas present). A little after noon we started talking about lunch and a group of us (Lisa, her mom, Buffy, her mom, Denise, Diana, and her friend) headed over to Epcot for lunch. Denise, Diana, and her friend headed over to America and the rest of us stayed in England for fish and chips. We ate lunch under an umbrella table (thank goodness since it rained, at one point the wind was so hard it almost blew away are full trays of food. After lunch we were caught in a short but hard rain shower (Buffy’s mom and I were in the bathroom and managed to keep somewhat dry). I decided to head back over and check on my room since it was almost 3. I headed back to the resort and made it back before another drenching rain started.

I got my room and started hiking to it. I went to the third floor and 6 turns and hallways later finally found my room. It was right after the last turn in the hall so I kept walking past it when I was returning. I changed into grungy clothes for my class. We had a warning on the class that it would be messy. I went back to the scrap room and scraped for a little while until it was time for class.

I will tell about my class and add pictures of my awesome tags in my next installment.

rebecca

great report rebecca. keep it going. i'm so enjoying reading it!

It was so great to meet everyone this weekend! I had a great time, and I know Gail, Carol and Amy had a great time as well. We all can't wait for next year!!

I'll post some pics of the Minnie Dress Album, Glimmery Castle Album and ATC probably sometime tonight. I have SO much unpacking to do and I have to get my scraproom organized again because I have family coming down from NJ on Wednesday morning. :scared1:

Here is my next installment but pictures will have to wait as we seem to have a precarious internet connection.

Arriving back at the scrap room I remembered that I needed to take pictures for PO3. I walked in to look at the cutting room and was amazed by it (but didn’t take pictures at the time). I headed back over to my seat and stopped to see Marylee (pixiedustforever) and she showed me the potty books she was working on (her Dh’s idea at that). I went back to the table and got a few pages done before the crew from Epcot started showing up.

A friend of mine from another scraping group stopped by to see me and we talked for a bit and took pictures together and then shared what pages we had been working on.

I called my DH to check on the test drive he had done. Since his car had gone kurplunk and we needed to buy a truck for his job, he had looked online and found one for just under $300 that we thought might fit the bill. The internet sales guy had driven the car out this way and had him take a test drive. I had moved money over before I left so he could put down a down payment on the truck. He said he loved it and he set up for us to finish the paperwork Monday. The final price including tax, tag, title switch, and hauling off the old car is $3100. Since I had given him $500 to spend I thought that was good. All we need to do is by a hitching ball to add to it and it will be good to go.

The table chatted while we worked for a bit and then I headed to my class. I had chosen the 12 tags of Christmas which was a ranger technique class. I choose it specifically to learn more about there projects and techniques so I could use them in swaps. I use my swaps to embellish my pages so I don’t use a lot of fancy techniques on my pages generally.

I walked into my class and took a seat but only for a minute. Once we had arrived our instructor (Sally Lynn) who was a lot of fun had us get up and move around. I learned lots of ways to use ranger products. One thing I learned about the distress inks was that they are normally not made to be applied directly. Instead you use a nonporous surface (such as wax paper or the ranger craft mat) and then wipe the pad onto that surface. You use a sponge (I think a makeup sponge would work) and rub the ink onto your page in circles. When I take photos of the tags I will explain how each one was done one at a time (it will help me remember for when I am able to buy the products we used. After class I headed back into the scrap room in my grungy clothes with hands covered in ink. While I was gone it sounded like all hell broke loose in the scraproom. The firs marshal had come in and said table could not be separated. Some girls had brought shelving units that were towering beside them and pulled the tables apart 2 feet in the middle and then had stuff piled up at the end of the table. This made the aisles to narrow to walk through easily. I wasn’t there for the details someone else will have to fill in on that.

I finished a few more pages and was a couple of pages away from finishing Animal Kingdom at that point. We headed for dinner, which was the better night of dinner. I had chicken in wine sauce and a mahi-mahi filet, for dessert we had a lovely cheesecake.

After dinner we thought about heading to Illuminations but it was raining. I hiked back to my room to change back into normal clothes (although many people were wearing pajamas. Arriving back at the table we chatted a bit as we worked and I finished up the last of my AK pages and after talking with Buffy about what to do next decided on Flower and Garden festival pictures. We went in phases of chatting and working quietly throughout the evening with people slowly dropping off. One of the things we talked about was Lisa’s Cap Cod Crop. If you are up in the area it would be a great way to meet up with other disers. I don’t know that I will get up there this year but I will have to see, it would be fun. We also talked about Buffy’s DH’s and sons and how they were handling her little princess and my DH and his car problems and possibilities, excitement about the breakfast tomorrow and the projects we were working on. Buffy started working on pages and got I think 8 done before she headed to bed. Buffy’s mom was working on her Model T 100 Anniversary meet album which she finished before the weekend was over. Lisa was working on mini albums for gifts at Christmas, she finished 4 on Friday (I think), Lisa’s mom was making Christmas cards and I think she finished them early Saturday (she took more breaks than the rest of us (for Jacuzzi time). Pam was working on Christmas cards and then general cards. I think she finished her 50 Christmas cards on Friday. Denise was working on the cutest Halloween ABC albums for a swap on the cricut boards and she finished her 28 J pages and 14 of her r pages on Friday. I headed up to the room at 11:30 after finishing 14 of my Flower and Garden pages, which put my daily total at 44 pages. Overall it was a productive day for most of us.

Next installment will be breakfast.

Rebecca

awesome report Rebecca!!

The fire Marshall story was interesting to say the least. First off let me do a little background info. There were 653 people there as well as 653 peoples worth of stuff. I swear to you some people brought their entire rooms! I know I say this but you really have to see it in person to get an idea of the amount of stuff. Some ladies had 3 or 4 XXL bags.

I'm trying to upload pics but photobucket is acting weird right now.

Anyway, as you can imagine with that much stuff in 1 place it tends to spread. Well it got to the point that you could not even walk down some of the aisles. Of course the fire marshall was going to come in and take a peek. She was beyond not happy. She said that the totes and shelves and even the cup holders had to be under the edge of the tables. Nothing could protrude out into the aisle, they could turn the cup holders towards the chairs but nothing could stick out beyond your chair on that side.

This is when chaos ensued! I felt really bad for Nancy, the event coordinator, some of her "guests" made her feel like total crap! They were yelling that it was unfair, and if under their tables were filled how were they going to work, blah blah blah. FM lady was not taking any crap, she finally went from table to table and pinged anyone who was not following the rules. (she was pleased a punch with all of our girls!!! :cool1:

I am not kidding when we saw women come in with 1-2 bell carts completely filled with stuff. Do you really need that much???
I would say the FM was there at least 2 hours, as well as at least a half dozen Disney employees.

What concerned me the most was how rude everyone was about it, hello it's a safety issue. What would have happened if someone's Cricut caught on fire, the room is filled with paper, people!!!! I guarantee that the same people who complained about the fact that they shouldn't have to move their stuff would have had family members complain if they died in a fire because they couldn't get out. Maybe because it's Florida and most of the people were locals but the Rhode Island Night club fire came to mind, maybe they are just to far removed from that story for it to sink in. (Do y'all see now why I requested to sit next to the groovy chicks? They always get the seats up front! ) We had great seats!

so anyway, we finally got it squared away and the people with the most stuff were moved, they had to take the walls of the Die Cut Room down but they got about 8 or 12 tables with extra wide aisles for all their stuff.

and to smooth things over they brought out Mickey Mouse!!!!!! :cool1:

I'll add to the Fire Marshall part of the story. People were crazy over this. The ladies sitting across the aisle from me had all their bags plus a full size cooler right on the side of the table. It took up at least a foot of the aisle. Every time the lady next to me got up to walk away, she tripped over her stuff. I mean really, if you're tripping over your own stuff, you have too much stuff!!! AND--they were completely outraged about having to move it. They carried on all day Saturday about it.

People were crying over the fact they had to move their stuff, I mean real tears. For real!! And the gossip continued the entire weekend. I walked into the bathroom Sat evening to about 6 women standing in the aisle. They were going on and on about how it wasn't Disney that called in the fire marshall it was another scrapbooker who was in a wheelchair saying she was unable to get around the room. These women were like---can you believe that? The nerve of her!! We've been coming here for 8 years...we need our space, the nerve of some people complaining about them when they've been coming all these years, they don't care if someone came before them, they've been coming for 8 years....and on and on and on. Seriously, some of them were nuts.

I felt terrible for Nancy because the sense of entitlement by some women there was just insane. She was trying so hard to keep everyone happy, but I still saw several women walking up to her, I couldn't see what they were saying, but they were carrying on, waving their hands around. Give the poor lady a break!!

Oh and thanks again Buffy for pulling that bag under the table for us! :wizard: We had one bag in between our chairs and when they first announced everyone had to get everything even between the chairs out, we were in class. So Buffy came over and made sure we weren't in violation! :flower3:

It turned out that your bag was ok in between the chairs but better safe than sorry! And the first thing that happened to Diana's table was that the ladies next to her, pulled the tables apart! I didn't want Diana to get hit on that one so we made them move it back.

I plan on writing a nice long letter to Nancy to let her know just how much I appreciate her and the work SDV does for us.

I also want a copy of the tear jerker letter that one of the scrappers wrote. It puts everything into perspective.

It sounds like you ladies had a great time even with the fire stuff. I went to a 12hr crop on Saturday and I had that tripping over peoples stuff feeling. I was in the far room and it was a maze for me to get out whenever I needed too. I was constantly stepping over peoples stuff and trying to avoid cords and things.

I can't wait to see some pictures.

People are just insane!!! I've gone to our local SDV twice and am always amazed at how much stuff people bring with them. Do they seriously need all of that? If they don't have the right color brad, it can't wait until they get home? If you preplan your pages, you don't need all of that crap!!! If I can't physically carry all of my stuff in within 2 trips to the car, it's not coming! I don't want to be tripping over my stuff all weekend and no one else should have to. Don't even get me started on the people who switch around the assigned seats before their neighbors get there. Gee, did you think that maybe those 2 people wanted to sit together?! I feel bad that everyone was giving Nancy such a hard time. She's a really sweet lady who's been through enough on her own, she doesn't need to have to listen to those people who can't pack right. That, and the fire marshal was only doing her job. Like Buffy said, if anything had happened, I'm sure they would have been all over the FM for not doing anything. My DH used to be fire marshal in a nearby town and would be horrified by people giving him a hard time about enforcing the fire codes, including the high school principal!!

It sounds like you all had a really great time, despite the craziness. Some of you seem to have gotten a lot of pages/projects accomplished, despite taking some side trips to the parks. :thumbsup2

Some pics of the finished products from the three classes I took.

ATC Holder. We made 10 cards plus 5 dividers, one for each park, plus a "cover". This was WAY too cute!
DSC04844.jpg

DSC04845.jpg

DSC04846.jpg

DSC04847.jpg

DSC04848.jpg

DSC04849.jpg

Minnie Dress Album--I think this was my favorite. There are 10 pages to put photos on.
DSC04850.jpg

DSC04851.jpg

DSC04852.jpg

Glimmer Mist Castle Album--Glimmer Mist is my new favorite product!!

DSC04853.jpg

DSC04855.jpg

DSC04854.jpg

DianaLyn,

I just love the mini-dress album... would you be willing to share the directions?? That is the cutest thing.... omg!!

I like the others too but that one is my favorite!!! :)

DianaLyn- I went by the store in Sarasota this morning- they have a good wensite and a nice store. Everything in accessible and they have a lot of choices. They also have Wednesdays as free crop days and many classes that are quite cute. Lots of travel, some Disney, tons of school and sports, lots of military and food things. I was looking for Ranger Distress inks and they didn't have the inks but they had the refills and the sheets to make your own stamps. They had a tower of individual embellishements (choose out 3 red brads in a size, 4 greens, whatever you want. They had lots of stickers- flat and jolees, plenty of ribbon, some embossing things. That was about all I noticed this morning as I am still very much under the weather from my cold.

Rebecca

Our table (mine and Buffy's seats are in the foreground:
IMG_6276.jpg

Punch and cut room photos:
Punches (all diferent areas)
IMG_6284.jpg

IMG_6286.jpg

IMG_6288.jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

IMG_6295.jpg

IMG_6296.jpg

IMG_6298.jpg

Boards showing avaiable punches:
IMG_6289.jpg

IMG_6290.jpg

IMG_6291.jpg

IMG_6292.jpg

IMG_6285.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

Computer workstation:
IMG_6297.jpg

Now doesn't that just make you want to put aside your money to go?

Rebecca

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter