Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I am by no means an economist -- absolutely! MBA and MS Finance, worked in an economic consulting firm, but not an economist for sure. My husband is a PhD Economist, though, and he disagrees. What is your comp for a hotel on Disney property? What are your "similar products"? I would argue that there aren't any that are close enough. DH makes these kinds of calls (comps) on valuation cases where hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake and agrees with me, but that doesn't mean he's "objectively right". As we know, Econ isn't exactly a field where all agree. :goodvibes

I am a PhD as well, but don't make calls on hundreds of millions of dollar purchases by any means :) But generally speaking I am sure both you and your DH are well familiar with the concept of selling above or below market rate. Ie: Canadian oil is sold into the American market at about 20% below market rate.

Edited to add, its a fair question about comps, in the sense you could argue that disney hotels are their own commodity ... therefore there is no market average outside of what disney hotels sell for. But I wouldn't buy that argument. :)

I am a PhD as well, but don't make calls on hundreds of millions of dollar purchases by any means :) But generally speaking I am sure both you and your DH are well familiar with the concept of selling above or below market rate. Ie: Canadian oil is sold into the American market at about 20% below market rate.
Absolutely! I think the devil is in the details of defining the market and comps, perhaps? Easier to define with a commodity than with products/services where price is defined a good deal by something like brand.

In any case, I do get what you’re saying, and I think we ALL agree that we would not pay Disney deluxe prices if you moved those hotels outside of “The Place Where Dreams Come True”. :) It’s actually CRAZY what they get away with... including with MY family!!

My point is it’s getting people to not drive to WDW rather use DME. Obviously APs are a different animal but for a regular guest I could see this swaying them from getting a car to using DME and Disney transportation only.
so basically wanting FLR out because all we will do is drive to WDW

Frommers put out an article saying how the charging for parking reduces the value of staying at a Disney resort - wonder if that has anyit bing to do with them taking the page down

https://www.frommers.com/blogs/pass...-for-parking-at-hotels-decreasing-their-value

Cold, but accurate.

Best take: "In a surprising money grab, Walt Disney World announced that starting March 21, it will begin charging all guests by the night for the privilege of parking at its hotels."

"As a reminder, Disney Parks made $1.3 billion in profit last quarter alone.

Bleeding faithful customers in ways like this is a big reason why."

Slayed it.

Frommers put out an article saying how the charging for parking reduces the value of staying at a Disney resort - wonder if that has anyit bing to do with them taking the page down

https://www.frommers.com/blogs/pass...-for-parking-at-hotels-decreasing-their-value
Does seem to encapsulate many feelings here! He could have said $168 for a week at deluxe instead of “nearly $200”, but he does seem to capture a segment here for sure.

Does Disney typically cave to bad publicity, though??

Please do! Let's not let up on them. Maybe it's working.

For me my trips are around rundisney. I like staying on property and going to Disney parks and all that because it’s convient while I’m there. However I can easily still do the races and take my lodging food and entertainment money elsewhere. I’d rather stay at Disney but there are other options.

Okay it's been 24 hours since I last came her and I can't go through the 30+ pages to catch up can I get a TLDR from someone please!!!

Okay it's been 24 hours since I last came her and I can't go through the 30+ pages to catch up can I get a TLDR from someone please!!!

Current TLDR is: ??????? The Parking fees have been removed from the main webpage, but are still up on some individual resort pages. We don't know what to think at this point. If you were planning on emailing them to complain, still do so.

(1) Disney added overnight parking fees for resort guests based on the level of resort.
(2) People are upset and many of them have emailed Disney expressing their dissatisfaction.
(3) Disney has responded to some of those people.
(4) For some people this is the last straw and they are considering staying offsite.
(5) Disney appears to have taken down the parking fees from part of their website, but it remains on other parts of the website.

Well they moved it to the resorts pages hidden under the "amenity" tab .............. couldn't even man up on it. :rolleyes:

And if you try to book a trip, and pull up rate details .......... it is not following "industry standard" to display extra fees on that page.

I imagine it will come back to that page after March 21. If it doesn't, that is really shady trying to hide it.

AND some folks have compared the before and after .......... the line that says Disney Hotel Guests park for free at the theme parks is GONE. This is going to be a real problem for some if true.

Well they moved it to the resorts pages hidden under the "amenity" tab .............. couldn't even man up on it. :rolleyes:

And if you try to book a trip, and pull up rate details .......... it is not following "industry standard" to display extra fees on that page.

I imagine it will come back to that page after March 21. If it doesn't, that is really shady trying to hide it.

AND some folks have compared the before and after .......... the line that says Disney Hotel Guests park for free at the theme parks is GONE. This is going to be a real problem for some if true.

Be up front so people know.

Current TLDR is: ??????? The Parking fees have been removed from the main webpage, but are still up on some individual resort pages. We don't know what to think at this point. If you were planning on emailing them to complain, still do so.

Don't know if it's been posted but could someone supply me with a email address where I could voice my thoughts?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter