Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters

rteetz

DIS Veteran
Screamscape and WDWMagic are reporting Disney could roll out paid parking at its resorts in the coming weeks. No word on exact pricing possible yet.

Disney Contact Information

Disney Corporate Phone Number
(818) 560-1000

Robert Iger
robert.a.iger@disney.com

Bob Chapek
Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
Robert.Chapek@disney.com

George Kalogridis
President of Walt Disney World
407-828-2600
george.kalogridis@disney.com

Jim MacPhee
Senior Vice President of Next Generation Experiences and Walt Disney World Parks
407-560-2960
james.d.macphee@disney.com

Last edited:
We're BLT owners and stay there for our longer annual trips -- I'd assume it makes a difference there given MK proximity.

That's true - and they could have different rates for Deluxe / Mod / Value or Monorail / Gondola / Bus only hotels (so All Star Music is $15 but the Contemporary is $45 or whatever)

I don't think I've ever heard of parking spaces running out at the Values at all. Why should the Values have to pay for parking if parking isn't an issue. Why should any resort at any level have to pay when there isn't a space issue.

WDW has a ton of space available too so it's not like we're talking landlocked downtown prime location hotels here. Certain resorts however on Disney property are more confined with space and have issues with people parking there when in reality they really shouldn't but it's not all resorts.

I wouldn't want to pay a fee period but I do agree that a graduated fee makes much more sense as Disney still gets money either way but it makes a lot more sense to the guest having to pay the fee.

I don't think I've ever heard of parking spaces running out at the Values at all. Why should the Values have to pay for parking if parking isn't an issue. Why should any resort at any level have to pay when there isn't a space issue.

WDW has a ton of space available too so it's not like we're talking landlocked downtown prime location hotels here. Certain resorts however on Disney property are more confined with space and have issues with people parking there when in reality they really shouldn't but it's not all resorts.

I wouldn't want to pay a fee period but I do agree that a graduated fee makes much more sense as Disney still gets money either way but it makes a lot more sense to the guest having to pay the fee.
The only time I’ve run into scarce parking at the values was at Pop this past May. They had a huge section of the 50s parking area blocked off for staging for construction.

Here in Florida... we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland — the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine. ..... I mean, we aren't going to use all that space when we can charge people for parking, but we have it!!!!

I could see them adding something like this at the Deluxe resorts. The Deluxe resorts, with the exception of AKL and possibly WL are basically right next to a theme park. But I would hope that this fee would be for people that do not have a room reservation.

I know the Swan and Dolphin do charge for parking and they also have a resort fee. But they are not run by Disney.

Are they talking about making the guests of that resort pay, as well? Or just people parking there who aren't staying at a resort? If it's the latter, that makes sense, and will help keep plenty of parking available for actual guests. If it's the former, that's pretty bad, as Disney resorts are already overpriced & tacking on a daily parking fee would be unreasonable.

I know I've had trouble parking at the Yacht and Beach club with the construction of the Convention Center. The new convention center took a good amount of parking away.

Are they talking about making the guests of that resort pay, as well? Or just people parking there who aren't staying at a resort? If it's the latter, that makes sense, and will help keep plenty of parking available for actual guests. If it's the former, that's pretty bad, as Disney resorts are already overpriced & tacking on a daily parking fee would be unreasonable.
Agreed!! Would like to know this as well.

I believe this is paid parking for resort guests. It’s not completely specific though.

I could see them adding something like this at the Deluxe resorts. The Deluxe resorts, with the exception of AKL and possibly WL are basically right next to a theme park. But I would hope that this fee would be for people that do not have a room reservation.

I know the Swan and Dolphin do charge for parking and they also have a resort fee. But they are not run by Disney.

As I noted in the news and rumors notes about this, the problem then becomes that lots of people will want to do that. If I had the choice of paying a similar price to park in the main MK lot or CR lot, CR wins hands-down. Same thing if I'm going to Food and Wine, I will park at BW or BC and walk in through IG. These resorts already suffer from a shortage of parking, adding a charge then dropping the stay requirement will not fix any problems. Disney will have to maintain the stay requirement to park in these lots.

At least the way I saw/read it when the rumor first came out is that it would be a charge for everyone - including guests. A lot of the hotels in the area charge a resort fee which isn't included when you compare hotels on things like Priceline so Disney would want to manage it similarly so the comparison is more apples to apples/

I believe this is paid parking for resort guests.

Think you are correct.

I doubt they want a new revenue stream allowing locals to park at the resorts, although I'm sure there is business there.

Certain times there are lots of unused spaces, and dining tables/bars empty.

Could not offer during peak weeks etc.

Oh, and since discussion of this had moved here from news and rumors thread, I'll re-ask my question... Does anyone with knowledge of DVC ins-and-outs know what contractual obligations Disney has to provide parking to owners? Or can they do anything? Complimentary parking for "original" members, resale pays? Or everyone pays? Or free for everyone?

I could see them saying something like, $20 per night for resort guests and ADRs, and $40 per day for everyone else. That would make it more like the preferred parking rate, and would discourage most theme park goers from parking at the resorts. (My numbers are arbitrary)

I could see them saying something like, $20 per night for resort guests and ADRs, and $40 per day for everyone else. That would make it more like the preferred parking rate, and would discourage most theme park goers from parking at the resorts. (My numbers are arbitrary)

definitely could see that - I would also like to see something like $40 to park there but if you have a receipt from that hotel (be it from dining whatever) that would reduce or eliminate the cost

I will be *very* upset if they start charging a parking fee. That’s just ridiculous! :furious: We own DVC, so it will be interesting to see if we get charged as well (probably the 2nd class resale purchasers like myself). But really, they keep taking away/diluting the reasons TO stay on-site. I’m not a bitter person, but if I were, I would want them to start charging for DME, too. :rolleyes1

ETA - sorry @rteetz - I did not see the separate thread had been started before I posted my comment.
I would agree on DME. The only reason I don't seem them doing that, unless they are being so totallly overwhelmed because too many people using it, is because it encourages people to be captive onsite.

I think this might be what pushes me over the edge if it happens.

I already think the bus transportation to parks has gone incredibly downhill over the past couple years. I only take a bus to MK anymore. I don't like taking Disney transportation.

Disney is just making me mad lately.

As I'm sure posters will tell me, Disney won't lament my hotel reservation loss, but there you have it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter