Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
Exactly.

Definitely - I think the other posters point is that the hotels themselves are not really at market rates because if they weren't on Disney property they wouldn't be able to charge what they are charging - so for what you get from the hotel itself isn't really worth the market rate

It is the location and being in the Disney bubble - and the additional perks (which seem to be lessening) that make it "worth" what people are willing to pay, not the room/lobby/etc itself

OK.. And they get their revenue stream in a different form. They're building more hotels, so presumably they believe there's demand to justify.
They’re building more DVC resorts. Your argument is that WDW hotel prices are not overpriced & you point at vacancy levels to prove it, but the levels are high because they’ve converted some to DVC. It’s like pointing to how well DCL sells out without taking into account how many CMs & TAs are onboard with discounted rates.

I absolutely get what you're saying -- but that's not the definition of market rate. :) It's what people are willing to pay -- and as with any product/service they're willing to pay because of what they believe it to be worth on net.

Off WDW those hotels would NOT go for the same rates. We all agree. But they are ON Disney property, are NOT sitting vacant, so they are not priced "well above market rate" as pp said. That's my only point on this.

So....you decided to argue about semantics just to make a point even though you clearly knew what everyone meant?

I absolutely get what you're saying -- but that's not the definition of market rate. :) It's what people are willing to pay -- and as with any product/service they're willing to pay because of what they believe it to be worth on net.

Off WDW those hotels would NOT go for the same rates. We all agree. But they are ON Disney property, are NOT sitting vacant, so they are not priced "well above market rate" as pp said. That's my only point on this.

Oh, I agree with you - but at the same time I also agree that what they charge for those rooms is nuts considering what you get from the actual room/hotel/etc. But the market with bear what the market with bear

Its great you get to do a 6 night trip. We did 10 days a couple years ago and we had a great time but thought it was a bit too long. 6 to 7 is perfect for us.
Thanks .. I am a bit worried as it will involve a 2 year old. When my son was 2 (and it was just him) .. we did 4 nights and only 2 parks days so not to avoid tiring him out.

My poor daughter is going to get dragged around for 6 days and probably 4-5 park days! LOL.

They’re building more DVC resorts. Your argument is that WDW hotel prices are not overpriced & you point at vacancy levels to prove it, but the levels are high because they’ve converted some to DVC. It’s like pointing to how well DCL sells out without taking into account how many CMs & TAs are onboard with discounted rates.
Their business model involves both rack and DVC. They need to optimize to that model. That is what they are doing when they shift rooms from rack to DVC.

If they could maximize revenue by lowering hotel prices rather than converting some to DVC and keeping higher room prices, they would do that. So... based on that, my conclusion is the same. They are keeping their hotels booked. They are -- by all accounts -- doing well with DVC thus the additions. They are maximizing profits by charging market rates across their rack/DVC portfolio.

Ok got it...and I agree it's market rate for Disney. But not Market rate for Orlando. So yes, people are paying the price because they see a value in the difference between Market Rate Disney and Market Rate Orlando. But at what point does that Disney price for the sake of Disney even out to Orlando Market Rate when you don't see the 'freebies' any more. In my original post my point was, when I paid more I didn't really see the freebies as free but as included in the higher price and the Disney 'magic'...so I would say 'yes, I could pay less off-site but I get free transportation, free parking at the resort and parks, and Disney magic.'

So....you decided to argue about semantics just to make a point even though you clearly knew what everyone meant?
No. It's an actual point. Framing it as though they are charging more than they in fact CAN collect from people casts the discussion is a different light -- a more negative one.

IMO, it's not a blatant "cash grab" when enough people are willing to pay it -- when people still feel that on net, it's worth it -- when they are paying the market rate for that product.

Oh, I agree with you - but at the same time I also agree that what they charge for those rooms is nuts considering what you get from the actual room/hotel/etc. But the market with bear what the market with bear
Agree 100%.

Last edited:
This is a sad subject as I watch other various hotels implement the highly dispised addtional fees. The latest ploy is the "resort fee" which is not optional at all. At least the parking fee is. All I ask for is the actual " room prices" with all fees rolled into a nightly rate. Should Disney go this route and start a resort fee, we will forget WDW as a destination.

Having the parking fee is just the start. I think Resort Fees will be within two years especially with Star Wars Galaxy Edge opens. I could also see them charging for Magical Express one day as an additional fee. This is just testing the waters to see what people will spend.

Ok got it...and I agree it's market rate for Disney. But not Market rate for Orlando. So yes, people are paying the price because they see a value in the difference between Market Rate Disney and Market Rate Orlando. But at what point does that Disney price for the sake of Disney even out to Orlando Market Rate when you don't see the 'freebies' any more. In my original post my point was, when I paid more I didn't really see the freebies as free but as included in the higher price and the Disney 'magic'...so I would say 'yes, I could pay less off-site but I get free transportation, free parking at the resort and parks, and Disney magic.'
Got it!! So for you, the value is no longer there -- totally legitimate! If enough people feel the same, the market won't clear the current prices and they'll adjust.

I totally get the idea that each person has their own "value equation", if you will. And that these things are cumulative both from a $$ perspective and just how we FEEL about it. :thumbsup2

Thanks .. I am a bit worried as it will involve a 2 year old. When my son was 2 (and it was just him) .. we did 4 nights and only 2 parks days so not to avoid tiring him out.

My poor daughter is going to get dragged around for 6 days and probably 4-5 park days! LOL.

Kids adapt ok - if you can, try to take mid-day breaks. And often they will fall asleep in the stroller and stuff

(obviously all kids are different but I think most do ok)

Their business model involves both rack and DVC. They need to optimize to that model. That is what they are doing when they shift rooms from rack to DVC.

If they could maximize revenue by lowering hotel prices rather than converting some to DVC and keeping higher room prices, they would do that. So... based on that, my conclusion is the same. They are keeping their hotels booked. They are -- by all accounts -- doing well with DVC thus the additions. They are maximizing profits by charging market rates across their rack/DVC portfolio.
Ok, but you’re changing your argument. They couldn’t fill those rooms b/c the market would not bear it & they converted to DVC. They fill them now b/c there are less to fill & they are often discounted.

I don’t know about you but we bought DVC to save money & not pay the ridiculous rack rate.

Just did 7 nights with my 23 month old GS. He was a trooper and had some nice sleeps in the stroller. Make sure you utilize FP+ well. Life safer for us. Since you don't need to have everyone in the party a FP on which the little one can't go on the ride split those FP up and use Child Swap. Then your other child will get to go on twice. Its great and remember the child swap is good until the end of the month and doesn't have to be used right away. Sometimes we had 2 or 3 because we didn't need them. Have a great trip.

Got it!! So for you, the value is no longer there -- totally legitimate! If enough people feel the same, the market won't clear the current prices and they'll adjust.

I totally get the idea that each person has their own "value equation", if you will. And that these things are cumulative both from a $$ perspective and just how we FEEL about it. :thumbsup2

So the "Disney 'feels' vs Cost" scale ... as the costs go up (moving the to right on the X-Axis) the Disney "feels" need to be there or you fall below the "I'm gonna check out Universal" Diagonal

Cost vs Disney feels.jpg

Ok, but you’re changing your argument. They couldn’t fill those rooms b/c the market would not bear it & they converted to DVC. They fill them now b/c there are less to fill & they are often discounted.

I don’t know about you but we bought DVC to save money & not pay the ridiculous rack rate.
I don't know for a fact that they converted the rooms because they were sitting vacant (rather than because they could make more long term with DVC units), but let's assume they did. A market rate is a "current" concept -- it looks at today not the entire history of a company's product. Today, they are keeping the rooms that they have booked at these rates. So that is the market rate for these rooms on WDW property.

I would NEVER pay deluxe WDW resort rates if you dropped those hotels in most other places!! But we're not doing that -- they're staying put in "The Place Where Dreams Come True"! :)

I don't know for a fact that they converted the rooms because they were sitting vacant (rather than because they could make more long term with DVC units), but let's assume they did. A market rate is a "current" concept -- it looks at today not the entire history of a company's product. Today, they are keeping the rooms that they have booked at these rates. So that is the market rate for these rooms on WDW property.

I would NEVER pay deluxe WDW resort rates if you dropped those hotels in most other places!! But we're not doing that -- they're staying put in "The Place Where Dreams Come True"! :)

That's so true! I still can't believe how much we spent at the Polynesian last year. Anywhere else no way. But when someone asks why I do it at Disney, all I do is say "well..." and smile! :rotfl:

Thus the reason the day we got back we started our "disney" savings all over again (disney has it's own vacation fund so I don't cheat and take from other vacation money) so we can afford Yacht Club in 2020, or 2021 if we haven't saved enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter