***Official August 2022 Thread***

I'm here in Vancouver (the "wet" coast) - August in Florida does seem rather intimidating! However, the last time I was at WDW was October 2016, the day before Hurricane Matthew hit, so the whole occasional rainshowers and risk of massive storms is a three month affair in Florida. DS is in high school now, so I'm tied to school holidays - August it is for us. It's my first August in WDW - strategies include reduced agenda, try to focus on cool indoor rides at the heat of the day, pack a rain poncho, electrolyte drinks, spray fans, water parks, and a full 9 days with lots of down time so there's no rushing about. The pools at the Dolphin look awesome - I've spent so little time in the pools and waterparks on previous visits - I'm looking forward to it!
Part of why we book at the Boardwalk area in August is for the reasons you mention. The location is ideal for 2 parks, allowing to break up the day and also be relatively nearby on some days if we get rain. One year, we came out of dinner in Japan to torrential rain and lightning. That was an experience, but getting over to Beachclub wasn’t too bad, compared with trying to get to the front of the park and then having to bus it someplace (soaking wet). We made a run for it, but many people were stuck waiting for the storm to pass.

We’re bound to school holidays as well, and I don’t mind the Florida sunshine as long as - like you say- you plan for the heat and weather. Spray fan and ponchos are a must! I buy ponchos in bulk, and found a small sprayer that uses a charger (no batteries). We try to travel to the parks light, just the essentials.

Pools in August are a must for us in summer. We’ll cool off there in the afternoons for an hour or two. We’ve been to Typhoon Lagoon and are looking forward to trying the evening event.

Part of why we book at the Boardwalk area in August is for the reasons you mention. The location is ideal for 2 parks, allowing to break up the day and also be relatively nearby on some days if we get rain. One year, we came out of dinner in Japan to torrential rain and lightning. That was an experience, but getting over to Beachclub wasn’t too bad, compared with trying to get to the front of the park and then having to bus it someplace (soaking wet). We made a run for it, but many people were stuck waiting for the storm to pass.

We’re bound to school holidays as well, and I don’t mind the Florida sunshine as long as - like you say- you plan for the heat and weather. Spray fan and ponchos are a must! I buy ponchos in bulk, and found a small sprayer that uses a charger (no batteries). We try to travel to the parks light, just the essentials.

Pools in August are a must for us in summer. We’ll cool off there in the afternoons for an hour or two. We’ve been to Typhoon Lagoon and are looking forward to trying the evening event.
It's our first time staying on the Boardwalk - the prospect of mid-day breaks or park-hopping between Epcot and HWS is a real bonus!

Still dont think it has sunk in that I am actually going in August! We had a trip planned for October 2020 but of course that didnt happen. We are doing a 3 week split stay between Pop and Royal Pacific Resort and it will be our kids first time, 2 boys, ages 6 and 3 (turning 4 during our trip!)

Does late August tend to have a lot of mosquitoes and sand fleas? We will be staying at both the poly and beach club and are a bit concerned about bugs during the humid/wet times, especially at the hotels where there are plants and sandy areas

Booked August 7-14 at Contemporary Garden Wing. We have always gone in the summer, so not too concerned about the heat. Might end up changing resorts. For some reason, I always end up re-doing things!

Yep, had to edit - changed resorts already!

Last edited:
Gaaaah!!!! Disney+ subscribers room only discounts!!!! I have a room booked at CBR - do you think they'll be able to apply the discount? Am I in for a six hour on-hold wait time?!?

Booked POR for 20% off - Aug 11-17th. Phew - now I can go back to NOT obsessing over accommodation.

I LOVE the F&W festival - no need to commit to a large meal, just graze your way around the world. And then go back for your favourites. So good.
We just rejoined Disney + and saved over $1000. There were no rooms available at BWV on our dates (we would be flexible if airfare not skyrocketed, we’re stuck with our dates) so we had to switch to BRV. We like BR, but were hoping to be in the Epcot area. With F & W announced, I can imagine those rooms now being tough to book. I’m going to keep looking at options.

We are arriving on the 13th - 18th and doing a split stay between Flamingo Crossing and AKL. My eldest daughter is finishing her time with the Disney College Program and my middle daughter is starting! Hopefully this will work so they can swap apartment items and cut down on cost. It isn't easy getting everything to FL from WA. We are hoping for either MNSSHP or After Hours on the Tuesday night. This trip is focused on check out/check in so not much park time. Going to try to get some good out of park reservations for dinner.

We're booked at Pop August 22-28th, after a couple of nights at US. This trip will be myself, DD 14, DD 26 and her husband. First trip to WDW for my son in law so we're very excited!

Our TA got us the Disney+ deal for our PORS stay (saved $556 US, so about $700ish Canadian- huge!!). But, for some reason, they wouldn't give it to us for our Beach Club stay (we also said we'd switch to Yacht Club or Boardwalk). Apparently it was a tough conversation with our TA and disney agent as our Disney+ account is under my husband's email and he's not traveling with us, and MDE account is under my email. I'm just glad we got some sort of deal. Now just hoping for the dining plan to be offered. Things are starting to come together:-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter