Larisa & Nick 7/18/09 - invitation voted best of 2009!!

So today I tried to think of all the things we have done so far for the wedding and what there is left to do. I wanted to share and this helps me keep track, too! I will post pics soon of some of the things we have purchased or I have made that I haven’t shared yet. Please, let me know if there is anything that I am totally forgetting about?!?! Just over 9 months to go, I can’t believe how fast time is starting to fly!!!

DONE
• Theme: Old World Fairytale
• Colors: Aquamarine, Gold, Plum, Cherry Blossom Pink
• Booked Church (officiant, cantor, organist included)
• Booked Reception Site – for the second time, sticking with this one!
• My dress – ordered and paid, fits like a glove, hopefully no/minimal alterations
• Booked horse and carriage – from the church to the reception is about a 20 min drive, so the horse and carriage will meet us at the reception, at the start of the lane and take us up to the main building and we can pose for photos. The horses are Clydesdales!!
• First Dance – “At Last” by Etta James (we will have known each other for 10 years , dated for 9 years, engaged for 2 years, come our wedding day, so it seemed appropriate! Nick really wanted a country song at first but then we agreed on something timeless and classic instead of something current so this was a perfect fit for us.)
• Father/Daughter dance – “Lara’s Theme” from Dr. Zhivago, (I was named after the character Lara in this movie. Lara is the shortened name of Larisa. On a side note, Larisa is actually a common Eastern European name, my dad was born in Ukraine and immigrated as a child, so my Ukrainian heritage is very important to me.)
• Toasting glasses – Waterford crystal, we received as an engagement gift from Nick’s dad
• Cake knife - coordinates with glasses, I bought from Waterford outlet, I like nice things at a bargain!
• Engagement Photos – by Skip Faulkner, he is doing our wedding, too. Posted previously.
• Engagement Announcements – by me! Posted previously.
• Wedding website – www.nickandlarisa.com, we have this password protected because I was getting spam on the guest book, but just PM me and I will give you the password if you want to take a look.
• Groom’s wedding band – again we got a deal, my mom and I had each entered a love letter contest at a local jewelry store, we didn’t win, but each participant got a $100 gift certificate. We were able to use both gift certificates towards Nick’s ring, which is a pretty basic white gold band, so he only had to pay a small difference!
• Reserved hotel blocks for guests
• Registered for gifts - Macy’s, Pottery Barn, and my favorite, Williams-Sonoma
• Formally asked bridal party – Nick called his guys, and I being the crafty one, made a little photo book with memories from over the years for each of my eight bridesmaids. I have 3 high school friends, 3 college friends, my cousin and Nick’s sister. Two of my high school girls are my maid and matron of honor which works out with Nick’s two brothers who will both be best men.
• Bridesmaid Welcome & Measurement Packet – made these too.

IN PROGRESS
• Contacted DJ - meeting with him next week
• Contacted Bakery for cake and possible dessert/pastry tray - they will be in touch after this wedding season officially ends, need to think of ideas!
• Contacted Pianist for Cocktail Hour – reception location has a baby grand
• Booked Photographer - need final contract and to pay deposit
• Candy Buffet – I have all of the glass jars, bought at various discount stores like Marshalls, Homegoods.
• Looking at menu & bar options for reception
• Bridesmaid dresses – my mom is making these, we’ve purchased the fabric, taken measurements, and the dresses are underway
• Cardholder for gift table – found a cute whimsical looking birdcage we are painting gold, I will add some flowers/ribbon.
• Save the Dates – I’m working on these now, coming soon
• Bride’s wedding band – I am meeting with the designer in November to work on a custom piece that will fit my engagement ring
• Booked part of honeymoon - (4-night DCL, need to book before and after land stays at WDW)
• Guestbook - 99% sure we are going to order something from the Guestbook Store, love their design and its one less thing I will have to make!
• Rehearsal Dinner Dress – I put this under “in progress” because I already have a dress but not 100% sure I want to wear it for the rehearsal. It’s a black and white polka-dot old fashion looking frock that I call my Minnie mouse dress because I have red paten leather shoes and headband to go with it. If we do a Mickey/Minnie theme rehearsal it will work, but if not I might look for something more elegant, less fun, we’ll see.
• Next Day Farewell – really super low key coffee and donuts/muffins at my parents house, out of town guests can stop by on their way home and we will be there to say farewell before we head to the airport for our Honeymoon

NEED TO DO
• Flowers - find a florist, think about centerpieces
• Pre-Cana (for Catholic ceremony)
• Limo
• Choose a Mother/Son dance song
• Ukrainian Folk Dancers – this is a big MAYBE, but if we can find a troupe and they are reasonably priced, this will be a brief bit of entertainment during dinner that I think would be really fun and unique
• Rehearsal Dinner location (first we need to figure out who is paying for this, but that’s a different story!)
• Place Cards – I will make
• Crystal Tree – I’ll explain this more later, originally was going to make one per table as centerpieces, but now am going to make just one and have it on the table where we display place cards
• Invitations – I will make
• Programs – I will make
• Menu Cards – I will make
• Table Numbers/Names – I will make
• Bags/Boxes for candy buffet
• Thank you cards – I will make
• Hair and makeup ideas and where to go
• Veil
• Headpiece – thinking I don’t want a tiara but maybe a headband or other crystal accents, want to do fresh flowers in my hair, too.
• Shoes - on the hunt for fancy ballet flats, Nick is only about 2 inches taller than me so I want to be as short as possible and the dress length is good with flats or very slight heel.
• Wedding Day Jewelry
• Ceremony Readings/Music – we have a workbook from our church to help us decide
• Welcome bags for guests at hotel
• Bridal Party gifts
• Parents gifts
• A gift for Nick (he already said he wants the latest Play Station system, what a guy! I tried to explain a wedding gift to each other should probably be something sentimental, and he said Play Station is sentimental, haha. We may not even do gifts too each other cause we will be broke, so we’ll see.)

Am I forgetting anything???

WOW, I have a lot of things to design and make!! That’s okay, I get more excited over the little details than the big stuff, I’ll post pics soon and suggestions are always welcome!!

Your dress is beautiful and your announcements are GORGEOUS. Can't wait to see your invitations!
trudy <><
Thanks, I'm working on the save-the-dates now, I will post them soon! I'm in my glory making all of these things!!! :dance3:

Beautiful Dress, your announcements are just too cute! They are so beautiful! great job!

Sorry about the fiasco with the 1st venue, but i'm glad it all worked out and you are now happy again!!
Its so nice to be happy again and not angry about wedding planning!

What a beautiful dress!! You look so happy in it! I can't believe all that nonsense with your reception location. I'm glad it all worked out in the end.
Thank you! And I am super impressed with your posting and how you keep up on everyone's PJs, how do you do it!?!

You look so pretty in your dress. isn't it funny how you have one "look" in your mind until you start trying dresses on?
Totally, this was literally the farthest thing from what I pictured but its perfect!

I posted this in the dress thread but your dress is truly gorgeous and looks like it is made for you!! The cut just fits great! Thanks for the list that you posted .. I may just steal it for myself as well to keep on track lol! :rotfl:

Since I'm another Maryland bride, I'm definitely subscribing!! PM me with what area you live in, maybe we can meet up one day for Wedding/Disneymoon talk =)

Larisa, I love to hear all your planning!! So glad I found another "home bride"!! :) You and your fiance are goregous, and your dress looks beautiful on you! Oh, and your wedding announcements are fabulous!!!

Sounds great so far! You have soooooo much more done than I do though!
I found a great site to get the 1/2 pint take out boxes with a handle on them. It was super cheap and reasonable even with shipping I thought. I will send it to you in a PM I dont know if I am allowed to post the site on here or not?!

Larisa, you look super gorgeous in that dress! It looks like it was made for you. :)

And also I wanted to say how super talented you are - I love those engagement announcements. :goodvibes I can't wait to read (and see) more!

Congrats on everything! I really enjoyed reading your trip report so far!

As a fellow Marylander, I'm very curious as to which David's Bridal you found your perfect dress in? (it sounded like the service was quite good) Would you recommend any local businesses in the area that you've used?

Thanks and congrats again! :goodvibes

Thanks for the warm welcome!

padisneyfour - congrats on your upcoming 20th anniversary!

tiffanova - I'm definitely open CSR, my only concern was that I've heard its a conference center resort, so I wasn't sure if it would feel too business-like? Did you get that vibe?

rachaelA - congrats to you, too! Our wedding is June 20th when is yours?

We stayed at Coronado Springs for our honeymoon in 1999 and it was really beautiful. They do have a convention hall, but that doesn't affect the resort themeing whatsoever. We had a pond outside of our room with pretty flowers and ducks, etc. At night when everything is lit up it was really nice as well. They have a bridge that leads over to the pool area, which we took some romantic pcitures on. They also have access to bike rentals and boat rentals. You can rent a boat and drive it down the river to Downtown Disney and back. My husband and I rented one for an hour and it was so relaxing and peaceful. It was just the 2 of us. We packed a little picnic lunch and went cruising. I also love the eatery, because it is themed after an outdoor market with wagons of food etc. I think you will definately enjoy it if you booked there.

Congrats on everything! I really enjoyed reading your trip report so far!

As a fellow Marylander, I'm very curious as to which David's Bridal you found your perfect dress in? (it sounded like the service was quite good) Would you recommend any local businesses in the area that you've used?

Thanks and congrats again! :goodvibes

I found my dress at the David's in Bowie. The service was very good, and much better than I expected. The David's I had been to in years past that was not so great (but maybe things have changed because its been awhile) was in Glen Burnie.

As far as local vendors/businesses, I'm on the Eastern Shore, so what's local for me might not be local for you. I do most of my shopping in Annapolis, though.

We love our photographer, Skip Faulkner, he did our engagement photos, too. Very excited for our bakery, "Peace of Cake" in Stevensville. Not sure if I've mentioned this yet, but my summer job throughout college was catering at a reception venue on Kent Island, (Kent Manor Inn), so I got a taste of weddings and some of the local vendors. Peace of Cake was always the BEST cake, not that we ate any of it in the back of course ... so I knew that's where I wanted to go for cake. As for stationery, I'm making everything. I work as a graphic designer, so I'm my own recommended vendor for invitations!

We stayed at Coronado Springs for our honeymoon in 1999 and it was really beautiful. They do have a convention hall, but that doesn't affect the resort themeing whatsoever. We had a pond outside of our room with pretty flowers and ducks, etc. At night when everything is lit up it was really nice as well. They have a bridge that leads over to the pool area, which we took some romantic pcitures on. They also have access to bike rentals and boat rentals. You can rent a boat and drive it down the river to Downtown Disney and back. My husband and I rented one for an hour and it was so relaxing and peaceful. It was just the 2 of us. We packed a little picnic lunch and went cruising. I also love the eatery, because it is themed after an outdoor market with wagons of food etc. I think you will definately enjoy it if you booked there.

Thanks for the insight! I'm definitely torn. I really like the looks of all the moderates. We are definitely going to stay at Riverside for the first part of our trip, because its sentimental for us. The second part is down to CBR or CSR. Ah, decisions decisions! Thank you though for the details of CSR, its helpful to hear from the perspective of honeymooners!

Hello there to anyone following along. I didn't have time for an in depth update this week. Nick was visiting for a long weekend, he was off for fall break. In case you didn't read before in our announcements, he is in grad school in upstate NY and I'm about 6.5 hours south in Maryland. So our weekends together are only about once a month, and we try to squeeze in at least a bit of wedding planning while we are together. So we went to interview a DJ which went well and I will fill you in on later. But for now, here is a quick peek at some of thing things we have already figured out but I haven't posted yet.

First, colors, of course on screen doesn't do some of these shades justice but you can get an idea. The main color is aqua or "tiffany blue" whatever you want to call it. The other shades are gold and variations of plum and blossom pink ...
Coriander.jpg

Antique-Gold.jpg

Aquamarine.jpg

Caspian.jpg

Ruby.jpg

Rhodolite.jpg

Blossom.jpg

Paper I plan to use with various wedding stationery ...

L-BER745-zm.jpg

TS-MEBLG-zm.jpg

We have a wedding website which I mentioned before. If you want to take a look just PM and I will send you the password. Here is a screen shot from the page I thought most of you would appreciate! I paid for this site/template through a company called Wedding Pearl.

Picture9.png

And one more detail to share for now, our toasting flutes.

139904lg.jpg

Everything is beautiful; and I LOVE that paper for stationery.
trudy <><
Thanks, I just added another paper I'm using. I got both from a company called Paper Mojo.

Beautiful flutes!!
Even better cause they were a gift to us, every bit of savings helps!

Such a cute pic of the two of you!! The flutes are beautiful!
Thanks, Nick's mom surprised with a gift basket delivered to our room the day after we got engaged. It had wine, cheese, crackers, wine glasses, and the bride/groom ears. We wore the ears around the resort one evening but everyone assumed we were honeymooners and kept congratulating us! It was kind of funny, so we didn't wear them after that, but are saving them for our honeymoon for sure!

So I do have one more quick thing to share. I put together this little website last year after our engagement trip with a blog and photos if anyone is interested in checking it out. I'm a mac person, and I absolutely love how easy iWeb is to throw together a site like this! This site isn't password protected like our wedding site, so you can just click on the link below to see it.

http://web.me.com/lcherewko/disney

Picture10.png

Larisa -- I am so sorry I haven't posted in your PJ before. WOW!! You are so talented and have such a beautiful sense of style. First of all, that gown was made for you. Congratulations on finding "the one"! :bride: Second, Nick did great on the ring and the proposal. What a sweet romantic he is (well, all except for the desire for a video game for his wedding gift! ;) ). Your Christmas card/ announcement and your stationery choices are just gorgeous and I love your engagement pics. I was especially excited to hear that you two met at UD. My DD20 goes there! :thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear more!

So this isn't really an update, but a thing you can do on the Knot called my inner bride. If I fell down to Andalasia, this is what I would look like!! I thought my fellow brides might want to try it if you haven't seen this already.

std_11108.jpg

So this isn't really an update, but a thing you can do on the Knot called my inner bride. If I fell down to Andalasia, this is what I would look like!! I thought my fellow brides might want to try it if you haven't seen this already.

std_11108.jpg

I love your planning journal! My DF and I are planning a wedding at home and then a Disneymoon (and maybe a DCL cruise) for next October. You're journal has helped me with everything that I still need to do!

I'm going to The Knot right now to do this!!!!! :)

Could you tell me what you included in your bridesmaid packets? I was curious about those!

Can't wait to read more!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter