• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Larisa & Nick 7/18/09 - invitation voted best of 2009!!

My inner bride looks similiar to yours!!! That's a fun thing to do when you are bored!! great updates! Has your to-do list gotten any smaller?

Could you tell me what you included in your bridesmaid packets? I was curious about those!

I actually made 2 different things for my bridesmaids. The first was asking them to be in the wedding (a photo album, memory book thing, personalized for each girl) and the second was a package thanking them for accepting the invitation. The main purpose of this piece though was to get measurement info. My mom is making the bridesmaids dresses, so I put together a little bundle that had a measuring tape, a diagram on how to measure yourself, a little reply card for them to fill out and send back to me in a pre-addressed stamped envelope. Also, I included a swatch of the fabric and a lose sketch of what the dress will look like. All of this was in a gold envelope tied with a bow!!

I didn't take pictures of either of these things before I sent them out. But I am going to recreate the measurement packet as a keepsake and I will definitely take a pic and post it cause it doesn't do it justice without a visual.

I have 8 bridesmaid so both projects took FOREVER!!! But like I said before, this is what I do, and what I love to do, so no complaints.

I love the "Inner Bride" thing!! LOL!
I saw yours on your PJ, love the doggies!!

My inner bride looks similiar to yours!!! That's a fun thing to do when you are bored!! great updates! Has your to-do list gotten any smaller?
I actually played around with this for way too long when I should be doing more productive things ... ugh like that to-do list. Actually did accomplish a few little things I will post about soon. Your dress pics are gorgeous by the way, on my way over to your PJ to tell you again there!

So we did make some progress in general wedding plans since my last update, but the biggest thing this week was my experience at the dentist, which is vaguely wedding related. So I have 2 remaining wisdom teeth that I have been putting off having removed for several years. So Monday I go to the dentist to get a referral for the oral surgeon. I tell him my concern that the wisdom teeth coming in are shifting my other teeth. Well to my surprise the wisdom teeth are not my problem, and I have unrelated shifting (which is making my top teeth slowly protrude out and creating a gap between my two front teeth) and if this goes untreated its only going to get worse. What?!?! He recommends I see an orthodontist. Ahhh, I’m getting married in 9 months!! Long story short, I went today to an orthodontist and I’m getting Invisalign. I had full metal braces as a kid and didn’t want to go that route. So it all came about so quickly and I’m still wrapping my head around this wonderful, unexpected additional expense. Good thing is I will probably be an “express” case and it should only take about 6 months from when I start with the aligners. And since you can take them in and out, even if I’m not 100% done, it won’t be a big deal for the wedding. If it wasn’t for the wedding, and if my teeth were just going to stay how they are right now, no big deal, I wouldn’t do anything. But the whole “its only going to get worse” part had me a little scared. I always figured I would do some whitening strips before the wedding for a nice smile, I never imagined this. Here’s to straight teeth in 2009!!

In other news, when Nick was down two weekends ago, we met with a DJ. He was actually recommended by the chick we didn’t like at our original reception venue. (If you’ve been following along, you know how that turned out.) So I had actually heard of this guy from my catering days, and a good friend is a wedding planner on the side, and had heard good things about him. So we met, liked what he had to say, we liked the price (middle of the road based on what I researched) and so we have a DJ! That was easy! Our only hesitation was we were worried on our ride home that we gave him the wrong impression of us, that we were a rowdy drinking bunch, we are definitely not! So we called and emailed him to clarify we want everything to be family friendly and classy, and then we felt more comfortable with everything and sent him a deposit and contract. He has this online planning tool that I think is general thing a lot of Djs might use, where you can pick out must play, play if time, do not play songs. You can preview songs in iTunes and see top lists of wedding songs. So that will be fun to play around with over the next few months! I don’t even know where to start. So far we have one must play song, “Shout” haha. What else is good for general dancing music???

We also officially booked our photographer. We already had things lined up with him, but now its official. (AKA, we gave him $$$)

We signed up for pre-cana, something we have to do for our Catholic wedding (think marriage preparation course). We opted for a weekend retreat (instead of weekly meetings) and we are doing this in February. Part of the “engaged experience” as its called is a little scantron test we have to take before hand. Its not really a test, its just a bunch of questions we are supposed to answer on our own, and then discuss together to see if we have the same thoughts on things. Anyone else doing a Catholic ceremony?? I am excited for the very traditional and sacred service, but there is definitely a lot of preparation. We have a workbook, too, to help figure out readings and music.

I think that’s all that’s new. I am trying to finish up my save-the-dates so hopefully I can share those soon. Also, I have to take pics of everything else I have. I need more hours in the day!!!

sounds like a really good thing. It's easy to focus on a wedding and forget that a marriage follows!
trudy <><

Yikes! I can't believe you almost ended up with braces again!! I can't imagine going through that again! That's great you are starting your classes! I hope it is interesting to you.

I'm also having a Catholic ceremony, and we actually did our marriage prep last weekend! There were three ways we could do it, there was the weekend retreat, the weekly classes, or there's a church about 45 minutes from me that does 1 Saturday class from 9-5... of course that's the one we chose!! The priest that did it was very funny, and it wasn't as horribly boring as we thought it was going to be... the topics we went over were A Catholic-Christian Approach to Communications, Finances, Family Planning (aka why Birth Control is EVIL), Raising Children, Conflict Resolution, and Growing Together in Faith and Love. I'm sure yours will probably be similar. We will do FOCCUS in January when we have our Wedding Workshop, and we don't get a list of the readings and music until then. bef

We were going to have a Catholic ceremony - only two problems that we found - 1. He's not Catholic, but Protestant. and 2. No Catholic Ceremonies in WDW! EEK! So we're doing non denominational, but it's going to feel weird for me. Oh well :confused3 Good luck with the classes!

And what is it about teeth?! I've been doing some whitening and I noticed that I have one front tooth that seems to have shifted a bit. I'm going to call my dentist and look into it - I really hope that we're not going through the same thing!! :sad2: (No offense - there is no other group more than the DISbrides that I would want to go through orthodontics with, but please no!) ;)

:music:On the music front, have you picked out your first dance song, and mother son, or any of those dances? Other than those songs, I think it's important to pick a mix of music that everyone will be able to groove to - I went to my cousin's wedding two years ago, and she's 40 (I think) and all they had was 70's music. The old people didn't like it, and us "younger" people didn't get it. I mean how does one exactly dance to Sonny and Cher? :confused3 Just keep your guests in mind and mix it up.:goodvibes
:dancer:

sounds like a really good thing. It's easy to focus on a wedding and forget that a marriage follows!
trudy <><
I agree, it definitely is a good thing. It is easy to lose sight of the fact the wedding is only one day of the rest of our lives together.

Yikes! I can't believe you almost ended up with braces again!! I can't imagine going through that again! That's great you are starting your classes! I hope it is interesting to you.
I can't even fathom braces again, so I'm glad that Invisalign was an option for me!!! :teeth:

I'm also having a Catholic ceremony, and we actually did our marriage prep last weekend! There were three ways we could do it, there was the weekend retreat, the weekly classes, or there's a church about 45 minutes from me that does 1 Saturday class from 9-5... of course that's the one we chose!! The priest that did it was very funny, and it wasn't as horribly boring as we thought it was going to be... the topics we went over were A Catholic-Christian Approach to Communications, Finances, Family Planning (aka why Birth Control is EVIL), Raising Children, Conflict Resolution, and Growing Together in Faith and Love. I'm sure yours will probably be similar. We will do FOCCUS in January when we have our Wedding Workshop, and we don't get a list of the readings and music until then. bef
I hope ours isn't boring either! We really like our priest, he is funny and down to earth. Thanks for a little preview of the topics. What is FOCCUS?? I'm not sure we have to do that, maybe I should ask!! We did already meet with the priest one on one and that's when we got the workbook.

We were going to have a Catholic ceremony - only two problems that we found - 1. He's not Catholic, but Protestant. and 2. No Catholic Ceremonies in WDW! EEK! So we're doing non denominational, but it's going to feel weird for me. Oh well :confused3 Good luck with the classes!

And what is it about teeth?! I've been doing some whitening and I noticed that I have one front tooth that seems to have shifted a bit. I'm going to call my dentist and look into it - I really hope that we're not going through the same thing!! :sad2: (No offense - there is no other group more than the DISbrides that I would want to go through orthodontics with, but please no!) ;)

:music:On the music front, have you picked out your first dance song, and mother son, or any of those dances? Other than those songs, I think it's important to pick a mix of music that everyone will be able to groove to - I went to my cousin's wedding two years ago, and she's 40 (I think) and all they had was 70's music. The old people didn't like it, and us "younger" people didn't get it. I mean how does one exactly dance to Sonny and Cher? :confused3 Just keep your guests in mind and mix it up.:goodvibes
:dancer:

Hope you are not having the same issues with your teeth!! Though my orthodontist did say it is a common thing in your twenties, who knew!? :confused:

We do have some of the special dances and some ideas for introductions figured out, (our first dance is Etta James, At Last), its the general get everyone on the dance floor stuff I have to think about. I agree, definitely a variety, not all 70's eww! That must have been fun! :cool1:

I'm actually not sure what FOCCUS stands for, but I know it's a test thing we each have to take and the priest goes over it, and then we have to meet with him again to discuss our answers. Maybe it's not a requirement for Catholic weddings, maybe it's just at my church? I'm not sure!

To start, here are just a few quick pics to add of things already purchased. So photographing clear reflective things proved a little difficult, and I actually thought black & white showed off the glass/crystal better, so here you go.

First, our cake knife, another good buy, got it at the Waterford Outlet. Its a knife and server in one (one side is serrated). I will get this engraved some time before the big day!

cakeknife.jpg

Next, our card holder. These are actually metallic gold, and I have spanish moss and rose petals to put in the bottom of the bird cage so cards don't fall through. The things on the side were an extra fun find that we spray painted gold to match, and I will either put candles or flowers of some kind on the little circular platforms. I might even elevate the bird cage somehow so its the highest point.

cardcage.jpg

Last for now, the glass candy jars. This was like a scavenger hunt finding these one at a time at discount stores and craft stores. This is for the candy buffet, guests can help themselves to fill little bags/boxes (TBD) with candy I will buy in bulk in our wedding colors.

jars.jpg

That's all the fun stuff I have for now. I have been thinking about the Honeymoon and how we haven't even booked the rest of it yet! So without pondering this for hours, here is a quick run down of what I need to do for honeymoon related things. By "I" I mean "we" of course, haha.

HONEYMOON TO DO

- Book 6 nights at POR (deluxe dining)
- Book 4 nights CBR?? (regular dining)
- Make ADRs (Jan 21, 2009 is when we can call, I think!) Places we definitely want to go off the top of my head:
----- Crystal Palace
----- CRT
----- Coral Reef
----- Le Cellier
----- Hoop Dee Doo Review
----- Polynesian Luau
- Book Resort Photo Shoot (Poly)
- Pre-Order Photo Pass CD
- Renew passport!
- Book flights!
- Book hotel for night before we leave for Orlando (at airport, we are going to do a crack of dawn flight so we can be in WDW ASAP!)
- Book excursions for DCL
----- One of the tours of Nassua
----- Kayaking/Hiking Castaway Cay
- Reservations for Palo (75 days out?)
- Buy all kinds of new clothes!!!

So that's it for now. Oh I forgot to mention MY DRESS IS IN!!! I am going on Saturday for a fitting, I guess I get to bring it home then, I don't know! But I will take more pics, since this is my actual dress, not the sample I took photos in before. Next up, jewelry, veil, and flowers. And yes, those save-the-dates I've been working on FOREVER!!

I was just wondering about booking a photo shoot. I know you have to buy the CD if you do that correct?

How exciting to have your dress!! I look at mine everyday now! Well, almost everyday, everytime I'm in the room with it!! :)

Your candy bar is going to be really nice. I just catered a wedding and that was the favor- just make sure people take the candy. There was so much left over!!

I was just wondering about booking a photo shoot. I know you have to buy the CD if you do that correct?

Hey Ashley ... check out this thread on in the Resorts board, it's everything you ever wanted to know about booking a resort photo shoot, and it sounds like a lot of the info has recently changed because it more popular and more expensive now. You don't have to pre-order the Photopass CD to do it, but the cost of the shoot is cheaper if you do pre-order. Sounds like its not definite whether the photos taken will go on your Photopass account or just a CD they give you that day. The difference would be whether or not you can enhance them with the Photopass online features. I think there is just one fee for the shoot no matter how many pictures they take, you get them all. Not like the cruise photos I've read about where you can buy just one 8 x 10 or something. Hope this helps! ;) Let me know if you decide to do it!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1972651

I actually made 2 different things for my bridesmaids. The first was asking them to be in the wedding (a photo album, memory book thing, personalized for each girl) and the second was a package thanking them for accepting the invitation. The main purpose of this piece though was to get measurement info. My mom is making the bridesmaids dresses, so I put together a little bundle that had a measuring tape, a diagram on how to measure yourself, a little reply card for them to fill out and send back to me in a pre-addressed stamped envelope. Also, I included a swatch of the fabric and a lose sketch of what the dress will look like. All of this was in a gold envelope tied with a bow!!

I didn't take pictures of either of these things before I sent them out. But I am going to recreate the measurement packet as a keepsake and I will definitely take a pic and post it cause it doesn't do it justice without a visual.

I have 8 bridesmaid so both projects took FOREVER!!! But like I said before, this is what I do, and what I love to do, so no complaints.

What a cute idea! I'm asking my last bridesmaid to be in my wedding tomorrow night!

Good luck to your mom with sewing the dresses! That is quite and undertaking, but I'm sure she is happy to do it for you! :)

So my dress came in and off course I had to go right in to try it on! Yay for no alteration needed! (although I am literally poured into this thing, so a little toning or minus a few pounds would not hurt if I want to do anything crazy like breath or sit down in the dress, hehe) I don't have shoes on in the photos, but the length will be just right with about a 1 inch heel. They are going to add buttons and loops for the bustle as shown. Also, I got a veil, actually two veils! My original idea was a mantilla style lace trimmed veil, very old world looking. They had one that I loved but the only problem is the color of my dress. Its ivory, but not as ivory as other things called ivory, but not as white as things called white. So the ivory lace on the veil looked dingy, and the white lace on the veil made the dress look dingy. So I tried on a few other options and loved a very light and flowy cathedral length veil (to the floor, slightly beyond my train). Then they added a second 2-teir veil that matches it and it adds a enough poof without being too overwhelming. Since my dress isn't poofy, this was a nice balance I thought. Anyway, I love it! I go for another fitting and to pick up the dress in December. After that I keep it until about 1-2 months before the wedding for one last fitting and a free steaming of the gown and veils. Its so exciting that its all coming together and getting so close! I'm starting to look for jewelry and shoes now. Here it is ....

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

Larisa -- You look gorgeous! Love the look of the long veil - beautiful with that style gown. I had to laugh -- every Davids looks the same, right? Which one did you go to? Your pix look like Prices Corner. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter