I need some honest help with finding a job now...

SandrA9810

DIS Veteran
Hopefully this topic won't turn out like the last one I made...

I've been off and on about looking for a job since I got canned from Disney (09/08). I usually let home life get in the way, and thought it to be more important than the extra income.
My previous employment looks like crap, truthfully. And always left that as an excuse for why I never got a call back. (would you hire some one with a shotty previous employment or some one that got laid off because of cut backs??)
During one interview, I noticed they had a print out of the score on my "test"... you know that hundred question test that asks the same question in five different ways, just to see if you're paying attention. Well I seemed to have good scores on that, so I don't think that's a problem.

How far back should I list my previous jobs?? I started working when I was 14 for my aunt, and left the job about 7-8 years later).
Is it a problem if I don't know the phone numbers of these places??
I know that almost every job, my particular managers have left the company or moved to other stores. Plus every where was only on first name basis, so I don't even know half of the last names.
My reasons for leaving weren't great. Usually because I couldn't get along with management. And I don't even know if I'm rehirable at Disney (which is what I would like, but not counting on it).
I worked for a temp agency for like 6 months before moving up here... but I honestly can't even remember the name of the company. The funny part, my aunt is the one that told me to use them and she can't even think of the name. I don't think a temp agency would be a good choice at the moment, since I don't know my limits of using the truck. And the last time, I had gigs that were 15-20 miles away.

I'm very good at being negative about all this... so I'll try to limit my responses. (I'm good at turning the tables to make it seem like I'm not the one in the wrong, even though it might be true).

My minimum goal is about 15-20hrs a week. Which should give me just enough for rent and food. Full time would be fine too, I just figure part time might be easier to get.
I've applied for just about any entry level job near by that I can think of in the past... so I'm guessing it's down to my app. and I don't want to paper the town with a horrible looking app, because it usually means that I have to wait 3-6months to reapply.

Try Starwood Resorts (the folks who run the Swan and Dolphin).

Orange County is also looking for police officers and corrections officers. The pay is decent and they normally pay for your training.

I know you don't seem to want to do temp work, but really it can be a good way to get a spotty work record buried under one that shows consistency and responsibility. ::yes::

What sort of work are you interested in? Didn't you work as a photographer for WDW (or am I getting that confused with someone else)?

Could you do free lance? Or could you apply at local photographers?

Care staff are in short supply. Good care staff. Florida does not require that an ALF hire CNAs, so you could apply at any number of ALFs who are always looking for good help. There is more to do at ALFs than provide direct care to elders.

Hope that helps a bit? :)

My job experience is quite different, but, my thoughts are:

- I never list names of people on my resume, only positions that I've held and I certainly never list phone numbers.

- I usually tailor my resume to each job (i.e. make a 3 page version that includes EVERYTHING and then cut it down to one page in a different fashion for each job you're applying for)

- Think about skills that you have and include a section on your resume that is titled "Special Skills" and list things there that would be useful for the job you're applying for. (Believe it or not, computer skills, 2nd language skills, etc. are still things that can get you a job.)

- You can also add a brief paragraph about "philosophy of service" or something similar if you have something to say that might address what they are looking for in an employee.

- I probably wouldn't include jobs that you had for a very short time, or jobs where you were fired and they will be able to call and find that out.

- I also tend not to be precise about my employment dates unless specifically asked. In other words, I'd say "XXX Call Center 2007" rather than exact months.

- If you've had a lot of jobs and you're trying to figure out how to organize them you can clump them together. (By general employer if you've had multiple jobs for the same employer, OR, by job type if you've done similar jobs for multiple employees.)

- Come up with 3 (or so) references that are people you know from different places and have a sheet prepared with their contact info in case you are asked for it. If you can't come up with anyone that you've worked with who would be willing to be a reference, think about other venues. Have you ever volunteered? (If not, is there a volunteer job that you could get and use as a jumping off point? It would take awhile, but, if you take a volunteer position seriously -- prioritize it over the rest of your life -- then, it can turn into a good reference.) Are you a member of a faith community? Would your Aunt be a reference? Etc.

- Plan to be a model employee for whatever you do find so that you'll be able to use it as a reference in the future. That way, even if you don't get what you want now you'll be able to use whatever it is as a jumping point to something else in a year or two.

- Is there anything that you'd really LIKE to do? If so, have you considered going to school part-time to obtain qualifications? Even if it will take a long time to get the qualifications the fact that you're working on it may open more job opportunities once you're part of the way through.

- Last, but, likely most important, whenever possible prepare an application at home and have it read/edited by someone with strong language skills. Spelling or grammar errors can have a serious impact on hiring decisions even if they are the sort of errors that are used colloquially.

Good luck!

Orange County is also looking for police officers and corrections officers. The pay is decent and they normally pay for your training.

This line right here was a shocking reminder of why I prefer living in Canada.

If you want to be a Police Officer here you have to apply to a Police Foundations college course (they have a low acceptance rate), complete it and then you still aren't guaranteed a job. Plus, once you do get a job, you'll have to complete further certification in order to carry a gun. It scares me to think that someone without prior training can apply to be a police officer and get trained once hired.

That said, if you're looking for a job and they're looking for officers, it sounds like a good fit -- just be careful, okay?

I know you don't seem to want to do temp work, but really it can be a good way to get a spotty work record buried under one that shows consistency and responsibility. ::yes::

Can you ride a bicycle? I know that it's more common to drive in FL, but, I've had friends who used a bike as their means of transit when building up experience. It's a much cheaper way to end up with a 15 mile temp availability radius.

Government work is out of the question...

I did do photopass at Disney, and was considered to be a professional photographer. But I don't own my own stuff, nor have I ever had enough money to own a good set up. Besides lots of Disney pics, I don't really have a portfollio of the kind of photos that I did take. I always got great reviews on my photos from managment, but I can't use those photos.

What an ALF??

Before I start applying... I really need to figure out how to make my application, specifically my previous employment look better than what it does on paper. Not that I haven't enjoyed most the places that I have worked at, but I usually left for stupid reasons.
I'll give a run down...
Reliatex - first job, hired by my aunt (which family doesnt always look so good). It was the one job that I left on good terms, I couldn't take the position full time like they needed and I was living 20-30 miles away. Worked there for 7 years.
gamestop - 11 months - DM changed, he then changed our store managment. And after telling him Gamestop isn't some place I want to stay at for a long time, my name was off the schedule the next week. They also kept screwing Kari over and not giving her the 3rd key position (even though the first excuse was because we were together, but wouldn't even after I was gone).
2 month gap
party city - 7 months - hired for halloween help. Kept on after the holidays, but things started changing and I wasn't fitting in. I was also having a hard time getting to work on time because of the bus.
at the same time I worked at an EB store for just Christmas... like 5 weeks.
few month gap
Started working at the temp agency. I did like 5 or so jobs for them, one lasting like a month or so for a special project. I stopped getting calls, and I stopped calling. I was tired of driving all over ft lauderdale for the possibility of a one day job.
few month gap - we moved to Orlando
Home Depot - 90 days - I liked most of what I did, but I just could not get along with my department head. And I had a hard time keeping up with what they wanted me to do, because they never really showed me what to do (like pack down and stock stuff) so I stuck to cleaning up and helping customers.
one month gap
Got my job at Disney with photopass - Loved it until about the last 6 months there. I started having issues with the area manager at DAK, so I transfered to MK... well she followed to MK because of a shift in the uppers. (the original MK area manager was the one that actually hired me and I got along with her just fine). But with so many things changing, that I didn't really like. I stopped caring... and soon 3 poor judgment reprimands followed. (I've kept in touch with a few co-workers since, and I really would be hating my job if I was still there).

So 4 jobs I left because I couldn't get along with managment and I wasn't really fitting in and didn't care enough to change to make it work out.

An ALF is an Assisted Living Facility.

Not to sound too gruff, but it seems like you don't care much for managers? Would you be better suited then to self employment?

Can you do lawn or pool work? Could you run a small daycare, or do child care in your home? (Six or fewer children).

Do you have any subjects that you feel a particular interest in or that you feel you are particularly strong in? Could you tutor in those subjects?

The hardest part sounds like you will need to change your reactions to situations that are not to your liking. It is work, and usually work has aspects that we do not enjoy, or people we do not get along with, and yet it pays the bills so we carry on.

Now to get a job, I second the idea of a temp. agency. I know in Ohio that seems to be the way new hires are finding jobs, I don't know about Fl.

Are there agencies that help with resume writing that you could use, some nonprofit places will help with many areas of getting a job.

On my practical side:
How do you dress when going for an interview, or even pick up the application? First impressions are important even if we wish they weren't.

Do you shake hands when meeting? Look the interviewer in the eye when speaking, thank them for the chance to speak with them?

I know this all sounds random, but to get a job you need to present yourself as someone others want to have around.

I wish you the best.

I don't really have stong skills in any one thing. I'm just good at learning as I go. Photopass really was a learning experience... I barely knew anything more than to push the big button on top. Now you can hand me any camera and I can make any picture look good. I still find myself when I'm visiting the parks telling people how to make their pictures turn out.

I did take some college... mostly Kari wanted some one to go to class with. It was like 5 or 6 classes and I only passed 3. But how do you count a class about Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings a real class? It was more like a book club.... fun none the less. It was over 2 semester.

Going back to school is out of the question... I really suck at classroom setting. I started hating school like in 5 grade. And I probably can't tell you a single thing that I learned there.
My computer skills come from my own learning. And it must be decent because my aunt would constantly call on me to figure out how to do things. I'm not very fimilar with new programs (I learned using windows 98)... I usually just figure it out as I go if I'm on a newer system.
I don't know any second languages. I know my ABCs in sign language but that's about it.

And I'm not talking about making a resume... more about the basic application you pick up at the local retail store. Well most of them now require online applications. And mostly they do want at least the month and year of previous employment. Sometimes the address, but usually just city/state. They always ask for a phone number, and a manager's name (which is where I wind up with the deer in the headlight look...). Of course the last thing they ask for is why did you leave. And with online apps, you usually only have a few options to choose from (quit, terminated, laid off).

Is it wrong to leave off phone number/manager's name??
I'd really just prefer an entry level job... cashier (even though i'm really slow at it), sales floor, bagger at Publix...

If we are talking about applications for part time, entry level work then just list "Homemaker" under work experience and leave it at that. Better to not list any experience at all than to list a bunch of drama.

Jobs for 15-20 hours a week typically do not require a resume. You just fill out the application from the store.

I will say without a verifiable work history you will probably need at least 3 strong personal references.

I used to be in retail management. I reviewed applications and interviewed candidates, but that was 17 years ago. I have no idea how they do things now, but back then we didn't hire people if any of their former employers said they were ineligible for rehire.

It is important that if you decide to list previous employment, you list complete information. Google the addresses and phone numbers if you don't remember. Store managers and district managers are really only allowed to verify that you worked there and the dates of your employment. If the managers you worked for aren't there anymore then the person verifying your employment will probably be referred to corporate HR. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that any former supervisor would actually open themselves up to a lawsuit by saying anything specific about your work habits.

Self employment would be great... but I don't have any references for babysitting to even start off on. I live in the middle of tons of apartments, so very few homes nearby for yard work (which besides working in the Garden Department at HD... I really don't know anything about yard care, never had to do that as a kid.)

Most apps are filled out online now, so you don't even get a first impression until they call you. But when I do go looking for apps, I try to wear slacks and at least a collared shirt. Not over the top nice like for an interview, but not just street clothes.

Does listing nothing at all at 25yrs old really look better than listing jobs?? Should I list Disney?? That lasted for 2.5 years. I recently talked to my former manager and he said he would look into my status for me. I just have to find his email through the company directory. Casting said that the only way to find out through them was to get an interview (which back then, you just walked in and got an interview... now you fill out an app online and wait for a call).

Do an internet search of different types of resumes. I definitely don't think your background is suited to a traditional dates and position type of resume. Perhaps something is geared toward responsibilites such as retail, customer, service, photography, whatever...

Are you saying not government because you have legal issues that don't allow you to work for the government or do you just not necessarily like the government and won't work there? I work for a Community Action Agency. We have received ARRA/Stimulus money from the feds which have allowed us to hire and/or maintain positions that may have otherwise been lost. There is a lot of ARRA money to hire people thereby stimulating the economy.

If there is someplace or places nearby that appeal to you, stop in regularly. Let them know that you really want to work there and remind them occassionally by showing your face.

As someone else said, be careful with your resume. You want to make sure there are no typos, spelling or grammar issues. The competition for jobs is stiff and you don't want to give anyone a reason to put your resume in the "not" pile.

Good Luck

The online thing is new territory for me. I am old. :rolleyes1

I would call places that you have applied and ask for an interview. Be assertive. Find out how many positions they have open and when they hope to make a decision, etc. I know when I was in retail we ALWAYS accepted applications but we didn't always have openings. We would file those apps and it would be months before we called those folks for interviews.

My teenage sister works in a nursing home serving meals and bussing tables. She had NO experience - that is her first job. My mom was a stay-at-home mom for 40 years. No college, no job skills. Then she woke up one day and was a widow without a penny to her name. She now works in a school cafeteria. Previous experience is great, but people with no experience do still manage to find jobs.

It does sound like you need to start at a very base level job--and stick with it (no matter how much you dislike your boss or co-worker) for a nice long time (at least a year) so that you can start to build a history and move into more.

For now, at least list the longer "permanent" gigs on the application (Disney, for your aunt. . .). I think anything over 6 months is probably good. At your age I think some shorter jobs is okay--many young people had jobs that were short term for one semester or whatnot. However, now you are getting older and it is not going to continue to fly so I would make sure it no longer happens. If you are asked in an interview why you left (jobs you quit) just say something along the lines of for family obligations which are no longer relevant.

One thing that will really help get you a call in the first place for entry level jobs is to have compltely open availability. Be willing to work nights or weekends or ANY shift and willingness to change around the shift as needed week by week will really make you more valuable.

Gas stations and convience stores often have more jobs available (and more willingness to work with a spoty record) than fast food or grocery stores--so you may want to give those place a try. Also look into working in housekeeping at local hotels, offices, etc.

This line right here was a shocking reminder of why I prefer living in Canada.

If you want to be a Police Officer here you have to apply to a Police Foundations college course (they have a low acceptance rate), complete it and then you still aren't guaranteed a job. Plus, once you do get a job, you'll have to complete further certification in order to carry a gun. It scares me to think that someone without prior training can apply to be a police officer and get trained once hired.

That said, if you're looking for a job and they're looking for officers, it sounds like a good fit -- just be careful, okay?

Really? Strange that never occurred with my officers in my family -- the training has always been provided by the force hired by.

Hopefully this topic won't turn out like the last one I made...

I've been off and on about looking for a job since I got canned from Disney (09/08). I usually let home life get in the way, and thought it to be more important than the extra income.
My previous employment looks like crap, truthfully. And always left that as an excuse for why I never got a call back. (would you hire some one with a shotty previous employment or some one that got laid off because of cut backs??)
During one interview, I noticed they had a print out of the score on my "test"... you know that hundred question test that asks the same question in five different ways, just to see if you're paying attention. Well I seemed to have good scores on that, so I don't think that's a problem.

How far back should I list my previous jobs?? I started working when I was 14 for my aunt, and left the job about 7-8 years later).
Is it a problem if I don't know the phone numbers of these places??
I know that almost every job, my particular managers have left the company or moved to other stores. Plus every where was only on first name basis, so I don't even know half of the last names.
My reasons for leaving weren't great. Usually because I couldn't get along with management. And I don't even know if I'm rehirable at Disney (which is what I would like, but not counting on it).
I worked for a temp agency for like 6 months before moving up here... but I honestly can't even remember the name of the company. The funny part, my aunt is the one that told me to use them and she can't even think of the name. I don't think a temp agency would be a good choice at the moment, since I don't know my limits of using the truck. And the last time, I had gigs that were 15-20 miles away.

I'm very good at being negative about all this... so I'll try to limit my responses. (I'm good at turning the tables to make it seem like I'm not the one in the wrong, even though it might be true).

My minimum goal is about 15-20hrs a week. Which should give me just enough for rent and food. Full time would be fine too, I just figure part time might be easier to get.
I've applied for just about any entry level job near by that I can think of in the past... so I'm guessing it's down to my app. and I don't want to paper the town with a horrible looking app, because it usually means that I have to wait 3-6months to reapply.

If you cannot remember the name of the direct supervisor just give the corporate number of the company.

When we were at WDW later last year the Bahama Breeze was hiring.

You need a full time job so you can get a clunker that you can use to get to work.

Have you considered moving in with your mother or back with your aunt? It may not be what you want but it maybe what is needed right now.

Why did Disney let you go? Did you collect unemployment? Why do you clash with management. Do what they tell you and keep your mouth shut.

I think the best way is the temp agency. They will get your foot in at companies. Eventually one foot will result in a new job.

I read the rest of your reply. If you interview like you reply here I can see why you don't get the job. You come across as very negative and not a go getter. You need to show them WHY they should pick you over the others. You also need to fix you attitude about management.

BTW many time one goes to work even when the "hate it". They do it for their family and realize that all jobs change over time. Some jobs will get worse and then get better again. Sometimes the "hatred of a job" is really the negativeness of the person and not the job.

I think a lot of people on this thread don't understand the new online application process.

These type of stores dont want a resume'
There's no way to make a creative listing of your work history

Most 25 year olds went to college a couple years-you did-really part time-BUT that's not something a retail employer will really check- then have a few jobs. i think that is normal

I'd list the college for 2 years

Then your last 2 jobs-Home Depot and Disney then uses your Aunt's job for th previous time frame-no one will KNOW you worked for your family

Forget the other ones

Have it all written down-dates, adress-if you cant remember managers-skip that-so you can easily copy when filling the online application

I think a lot of people on this thread don't understand the new online application process.

These type of stores dont want a resume'
There's no way to make a creative listing of your work history

Most 25 year olds went to college a couple years-you did-really part time-BUT that's not something a retail employer will really check- then have a few jobs. i think that is normal

I'd list the college for 2 years

Then your last 2 jobs-Home Depot and Disney then uses your Aunt's job for th previous time frame-no one will KNOW you worked for your family

Forget the other ones

Have it all written down-dates, adress-if you cant remember managers-skip that-so you can easily copy when filling the online application

All of these is true. I just wanted to mention that where I work, we don't have an on-line application process. I also have two teenage kids who have gotten jobs in the last year and have not gone through an on-line process. Make sure you keep all of your options open - not just on-line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter