Disney World Ride Safety for Brain Injury

disneygirl2022

Earning My Ears
Hi, my family are going to Disney World for four days in October. My (teen) daughter's brain did not form completely, and is also partly in her neck. Because of this, I am concerned about her safety on rides such as Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Slinky dog Dash, etc. I have done research on this, but couldn't find information specific to brain injuries, so I'm looking for advice here.

My 13yo daughter was born with hydrocephalus (“water on the brain”). I realize it’s different from what you are describing, but it affects my DD’s brain, neck & right side (significant muscle weakness). She’s got a shunt, and is not a risk-taker by nature.

I talked with her neurologist about planes & rides, and we started slowly. On our first trip (to DL- 5 yrs ago), we were very careful. The wildest ride she went on was Radiator Springs Racers- and she loved it!! Once we started going to WDW, we had limits in mind, but she normally said no to a “questionable” ride before we had to. If she couldn’t see a ride, or was unsure- she’d ask us. If we were unsure, we’d let her make the decision. If anything hurt her neck, she’d let us know.

Of the 3 you mentioned, we only said no to BTMR- it’s soooo shaky/bumpy & whips a little more. We tried SDMT first (bc it’s so smooth & on the shorter side). It went very well, but kinda pushed her limits… I don’t think she’s felt confident enough on roller coasters to try SDD yet, and I think a stronger neck would be good before she tries it anyway.

There a ton of rides & activities that she loves to do though!! She loves Frozen, Soarin’, Remy, MMRR, Rise, Alien’s SS, Toy Story Mania (a family favorite), Aladdin’s magic carpets, Peter Pan, Na’vi river journey, Kilimanjaro safari, the shows, parades, meet & greets, etc.

ps- I’d also recommend talking with your daughter’s dr, if you haven’t already. It really eased my mind & allowed me to let her make more decisions.

Hi, my family are going to Disney World for four days in October. My (teen) daughter's brain did not form completely, and is also partly in her neck. Because of this, I am concerned about her safety on rides such as Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Slinky dog Dash, etc. I have done research on this, but couldn't find information specific to brain injuries, so I'm looking for advice here.
Welcome!

Definitely talk with you daughter's doctor about what types of rides would or would not be safe for her. Hope you have fun.

My 13yo daughter was born with hydrocephalus (“water on the brain”). I realize it’s different from what you are describing, but it affects my DD’s brain, neck & right side (significant muscle weakness). She’s got a shunt, and is not a risk-taker by nature.

I talked with her neurologist about planes & rides, and we started slowly. On our first trip (to DL- 5 yrs ago), we were very careful. The wildest ride she went on was Radiator Springs Racers- and she loved it!! Once we started going to WDW, we had limits in mind, but she normally said no to a “questionable” ride before we had to. If she couldn’t see a ride, or was unsure- she’d ask us. If we were unsure, we’d let her make the decision. If anything hurt her neck, she’d let us know.

Of the 3 you mentioned, we only said no to BTMR- it’s soooo shaky/bumpy & whips a little more. We tried SDMT first (bc it’s so smooth & on the shorter side). It went very well, but kinda pushed her limits… I don’t think she’s felt confident enough on roller coasters to try SDD yet, and I think a stronger neck would be good before she tries it anyway.

There a ton of rides & activities that she loves to do though!! She loves Frozen, Soarin’, Remy, MMRR, Rise, Alien’s SS, Toy Story Mania (a family favorite), Aladdin’s magic carpets, Peter Pan, Na’vi river journey, Kilimanjaro safari, the shows, parades, meet & greets, etc.

ps- I’d also recommend talking with your daughter’s dr, if you haven’t already. It really eased my mind & allowed me to let her make more decisions.
Yes, my daughter has a shunt as well. She hasn't had much experience with amusement parks either, and also has anxiety, but fortunately she's learnt to control it, and seems to be looking forward to the rides I mentioned, although she has said no to other rides, such as Space Mountain (she thinks it would be too fast, and I won't be able to sit next to her), Twilight Tower of Terror (big drop) and Splash Mountain (another big drop). But, I still am concerned about her because of her shunt, as well as her anxiety, as there has been a past incident where she's had a panic attack on a spinning ride.

P.S thank you so much for all the information, but was wondering what you thought of rides like Flight of Avatar and Star Wars rides like Star Tours and rose of the Resistance? I'm not so worried about her head on these, just that they might overwhelm her (although she does want to go on them). And also, you mentioned that SDMT was a smooth ride, but I have heard that carts do rock back and forth, so how did that go?

Yes, my daughter has a shunt as well. She hasn't had much experience with amusement parks either, and also has anxiety, but fortunately she's learnt to control it, and seems to be looking forward to the rides I mentioned, although she has said no to other rides, such as Space Mountain (she thinks it would be too fast, and I won't be able to sit next to her), Twilight Tower of Terror (big drop) and Splash Mountain (another big drop). But, I still am concerned about her because of her shunt, as well as her anxiety, as there has been a past incident where she's had a panic attack on a spinning ride.

P.S thank you so much for all the information, but was wondering what you thought of rides like Flight of Avatar and Star Wars rides like Star Tours and rose of the Resistance? I'm not so worried about her head on these, just that they might overwhelm her (although she does want to go on them). And also, you mentioned that SDMT was a smooth ride, but I have heard that carts do rock back and forth, so how did that go?
one ride that most do not think of to question because it has no height requirement is Toy Story as it is very jerky. it jerks around the corners. and I agree about talking with her doctor and/ or therapist about rides

It's not just the big headliners that I would be concerned about. Some of the "baby" rides are very jerky and rough. Even Pooh bear, and Pirates has a pretty steep drop at one point. You should probably talk with your doctor about what the concerns are for movement specifically.

FOP you are locked onto a motorcycle thing, but it isn't exactly smooth. ROTR has many jerky points, like Remy, and a small drop.

Definitely talk to your doctor and look up some ride POVs as well on Youtube. I would recommend an in person or virtual appointment so you can show the videos as well.

While I don't have a brain injury, I actually gave myself a concussion at Disney once (yes it was my fault and no I did not realize it was a concussion until we got back) and I regretted going on certain rides whereas others I was totally fine. Your daughter might have some issues with lighting as well. Rides like Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan are darker whereas IASW is brighter.

I hope this helps and I hope you have a great trip!

Thank you all so much for your advice. It seems that it's hard to tell how she'll go on any of the rides until we get there, but I think I will look into talking to her doctor. Although I am concerned for her safety, I really do want her to just have fun and not worry too much, she's been wanting to go to Disney ever since she was little, and I don't want her anxiety or her medical situation to spoil that for her. I think the main reason she wants to try the big rides is just because she'll be the only teen/child going to Disney World in our group, as it will be me, her, my sister and brother-in-law (so her auntie and uncle) and although I don't really want to go on a particular rides, she knows that her auntie and uncle do want to go on some of the big rides (they have also had past experience going to Disneyland, and Disney Tokyo) and I personally think she doesn't want to spoil that for them. But thank you guys again, and I'm hoping as we get closer to the trip (it's currently about 6 weeks away) I'll be able to gather some more information on this and just stick with my gut on things when we get there.

My DD suffers from PTSD/anxiety. Rise of the Resistance really did her in. I guess on this ride you are part of the Resistance and being hunted down. I know there are storm troopers (? the guys in the all-white coverings... I'm not a Star Wars person) who are barking orders and such. It really triggered DD's anxiety and we were pretty much done at DHS after that. I have had other friends mention that they were surprised that RotR didn't have a "trigger warning" about this. Not sure if it's something you need to consider but thought I'd let you know.

I understand your concern. A shunt is a big deal. My daughter’s neurologist tells me that there is no reason to limit her activities in any way… yet I’m pretty sure bucking broncos are out, so it makes it hard to find a proper balance there. 😉

My DD can get pretty bad motion sickness (although she seems to be outgrowing it), so she hasn’t tried Flight of Avatar. She loves all things Star Wars- I’m sure she’s done Star Tours (but I’m pretty sure her neck aches after that), and she loves Rise of the Resistance! She doesn’t have anxiety when it comes to rides though, so I’m not sure how that would factor in.

SDMT is smooth in every way! I think the rocking capability is part of what makes it so smooth (you stay more upright during banking turns)… it doesn’t make her hurt or feel sick… it just makes her giggle & squeal 😆😁

She told me she did try SDD on our last trip, and it didn’t hurt her, but she wasn’t a fan. I think the big hills (esp. going up quickly) just make her feel icky (she never enjoyed swings as a baby either- the upswing was clearly unsettling).

It seems that it's hard to tell how she'll go on any of the rides until we get there, but I think I will look into talking to her doctor. Although I am concerned for her safety, I really do want her to just have fun and not worry too much, she's been wanting to go to Disney ever since she was little, and I don't want her anxiety or her medical situation to spoil that for her.
I hope she has fun too!! 🤗🤩

I have a closed brain injury, so although that is different than your daughter's condition here are the rides I typically avoid unless I am having a really good day (very few symptoms or headaches):

- any boat rides (small world, pirates, etc) because the boats can often back up during the ride and bump into each other, the 'bump' is quite painful for my neck and head
- SDMT there is a sudden stop at the cottage scene that is usually very jarring
- On the 'way too bumpy for my brain' list for me- safari, Smuggler's Run, Dinosaur, Big Thunder, Kali River Rapids
- Anything with extended length of g-forces such as Rock and Roller coaster, Everest, Mission Space & Space Mountain.
-Trackless rides: there's a slight whiplash sensation from quick back and forth or side to side motion that really bothers my neck and head so Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (the Daisy scene is rough on my neck) and Remy were one and done for me

I rode Guardians a few weeks ago because I was having a really good day and we did it at the end of the night. I probably won't go on it again but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be on my head.

I used to have trouble with Toy Story Mania due to the slight 'whip' from one scene to the next but I built up my neck strength over the past few years and it is easier for me now.

Your approach, consulting with her neurologist and gradually introducing her to rides, is commendable. It's all about finding that balance between fun and safety. I completely understand why you'd be cautious about certain rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Safety always comes first. It's wonderful to hear how your daughter has found joy in so many other attractions at Disney World. From Frozen to Toy Story Mania, she's experiencing the magic in her own way. If she ever wants to branch out to new adventures, there's always time for that. If you ever find yourself in need of a slip and fall attorney Sugar Land, don't hesitate to reach out. It's crucial to have the right support, especially when unexpected challenges arise. Keep spreading that positivity, and here's to many more magical moments at Disney World!

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your advice. It seems that it's hard to tell how she'll go on any of the rides until we get there, but I think I will look into talking to her doctor. Although I am concerned for her safety, I really do want her to just have fun and not worry too much, she's been wanting to go to Disney ever since she was little, and I don't want her anxiety or her medical situation to spoil that for her. I think the main reason she wants to try the big rides is just because she'll be the only teen/child going to Disney World in our group, as it will be me, her, my sister and brother-in-law (so her auntie and uncle) and although I don't really want to go on a particular rides, she knows that her auntie and uncle do want to go on some of the big rides (they have also had past experience going to Disneyland, and Disney Tokyo) and I personally think she doesn't want to spoil that for them. But thank you guys again, and I'm hoping as we get closer to the trip (it's currently about 6 weeks away) I'll be able to gather some more information on this and just stick with my gut on things when we get there.

There are a lot of POV videos on Youtube for most of the rides. It won't be definitive but you'll be able to see what the ride has as far as dark/light, flashing lights or sudden bursts. You should also be able to see how they or others react to turns or drops. Not only will it give you something to judge by but it may ease her anxiety if she can 'see' what's going to happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter