I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about travel insurance: I've never purchased before but with a big cruise next year and our parents getting older, it seems like a good idea. I used insure my trip and found a policy I like. It asks for the total cost of the trip for the 6 of us that I'm insuring (cruise, excursions, airbnb) but then on the certificate, it divides it by 6 for a maximum benefit to each person. Since it's a cruise, our fares vary quite a bit - from 3rd and 4th person in a balcony at 75% off, to an inside cabin 3rd person, and then the main travelers in each cabin. That maximum per person number is about the cost of Passenger 1 and 2 in the balcony cruise fare only, while it's significantly more than the cost for all the others. Should I purchase insurance separately for the expensive fares passengers and then for the others? It just seems that if I cancel the trip, 2 people will only get back their cruise fare and lose all the excursions costs, etc., while the others would lose some of the value of their insured amount.

I'm sorry if I'm rambling, maybe I'm overthinking it, but thank you for any insight and sharing any experiences.

I came across this before. Link I think you're right, it can be an issue.

I always buy my parents' policy separately because I have different concerns for them (pre-existing conditions, medical coverage outside the US). It usually ends up being a different company than what we get. For my family of 4, I usually get one of the kids free policies. I should think more about this issue the next time I buy a policy for a cruise.

Are your excursions prepaid and nonrefundable? Cruise taxes are usually refundable, so I don't add those in. The insurance cost usually goes up per $500/person ($1001 is the same cost as $1500), so I always find the top of the bracket that contains the amount I need. :)

It makes me sad that it's closing on Broadway. So many people have no idea of the story, and it's such an amazing one. I really wish more people had the chance to see it.
Whaaat?! I can't believe it's closing on Broadway. It's such a lovely story, it helped me regained faith in humanity (only half kidding there...)

Come From Away is in my top 5 musicals ever, and that's saying a lot because DH works at the performing arts center and we basically see every show that tours. So we've seen a lot.

I had wanted to catch it on Broadway next time I made it to NYC but alas...

Whaaat?! I can't believe it's closing on Broadway. It's such a lovely story, it helped me regained faith in humanity (only half kidding there...)

Come From Away is in my top 5 musicals ever, and that's saying a lot because DH works at the performing arts center and we basically see every show that tours. So we've seen a lot.

It's there until Oct. 2 I believe. So glad we got to see it there and will probably see it again next summer when it comes to Cleveland.

If you have a convenient Verizon store, you can pay with a credit card at the kiosk and still keep the debit/auto pay discount.
I have one next to next to our grocery store so it is easy for me to stop by.

Oh good to know! I probably won't do that in the next few months because our closest Verizon stores are always packed on the weekend. But I'm retiring this Fall so I would have time to go and do something like this during the week. So if I switch to debit now and reduce my bill in the meantime, then start paying via CC in store when I have the time!

Thanks!

Any idea why a Disney gift card would be placed on a temporary hold??? Trying to pay off my room and couldn’t get balance on the card. Called the gift card line and that’s what I’m told…there’s several hundred on this card so I’m really nervous! They told me to send an email but I haven’t heard back.
So Disney gift card guest services emailed back. They said it was Shop Disney that had a hold on the card. I had to call the loss prevention line. Called and left message. After tiring of waiting for a call back, I called the regular shop Disney card. CM was very nice. Took all my info and said they’d email me…haha no thanks I said I would rather a phone call back. She called back about 20 minutes later and said all was good that it was just an error…omg I immediately called Disney and put everything on that card to my deposit.
This really has me much more careful keeping track of which cards I’ve combined!

I think you guys will appreciate this predicament. I just tried to open a Chase bank account and one of the identity verification questions was "In what year did you open an Amex card?" Um... which Amex card? :confused3I chose the wrong answer. Lol. Evidently, they were looking for the most recent one because that's what I picked when I tried the app again and got the same question. :D

We have season tickets, so we see most touring shows also. I would put it in my top 5 too, for sure! Not sure what the top 5 exactly is but it is definitely in there. Thank goodness for Apple + and all their free trials.

We have season tickets, so we see most touring shows also. I would put it in my top 5 too, for sure! Not sure what the top 5 exactly is but it is definitely in there. Thank goodness for Apple + and all their free trials.
We have season tickets, too. But not all shows are part of the season so glad to have DH's employee discount 😆
Case in point, Come From Away will be here next year but not as part of the Broadway Season so not under our season tickets! I'll be waiting the moment booking goes live for us to purchase.

And yay for Apple+ free trials!

We have season tickets, too. But not all shows are part of the season so glad to have DH's employee discount 😆
Case in point, Come From Away will be here next year but not as part of the Broadway Season so not under our season tickets! I'll be waiting the moment booking goes live for us to purchase.

And yay for Apple+ free trials!
Really? Bummer that it's not part of the season. Ours was part of our 19/20 season and then got rescheduled twice. When it did finally get here, they had to cancel two performances, and flew in previous/current cast members from NYC and other locations, because so much of the cast had tested positive. It was the only time I knew I would cry if our show got cancelled, but it did not. I had upgraded our seats to front row, which was so awesome!

I think the Venture X is a good choice for lounge access. Has the PP restaurant benefit. Can add 4 AUs for free with their own lounge access (though need to consider 5/24).
What do you mean about the need to consider 5/24? Do AUs count towards that?

Last edited:
Just booked my first Holland America cruise... bought discounted gift cards without realizing I cannot (apparently) pay for "extras" (grats, etc) using gift cards. Therefore I have some money left over on the last GC I used. Rookie error.

However this means I'll have to pay the rest of it with the new VX. Once the charge hits, I should (theoretically) used the "pay yourself back" (not sure what to call it) option, I assume?

What do you mean about the need to consider 5/24?

There is a Chase rule that you won't be approved for any of their cards if you've had 5 or more cards that report to your personal credit report in the last 24 months. An authorized user card on a personal card will report and count towards your 5/24 count (though you may be able to recon around it, I'd rather not deal with that).

There is a Chase rule that you won't be approved for any of their cards if you've had 5 or more cards that report to your personal credit report in the last 24 months. An authorized user card on a personal card will report and count towards your 5/24 count (though you may be able to recon around it, I'd rather not deal with that).
So that means if I am an AU on someone else's cc it counts towards my 5/24? (if opened within the two year time period)

Do you recall about how long it took for the credit to show up? I just did my first pickup order today and I'm wondering when I should start looking for it.

The Instacart account I created was using my CSR. I think sometime this week I will create another account with one of my Freedoms. I'm assuming the quarterly credit is good until the end of September, so with the 3-month membership, that should cover two $10 orders. I'm not sure if I'd create another account for one order but two is probably worth the hassle.
I think it posted pretty much immediately after the charge posted, but not while it was pending. The T&Cs say within 2 days of posting.

Question about travel insurance: I've never purchased before but with a big cruise next year and our parents getting older, it seems like a good idea. I used insure my trip and found a policy I like. It asks for the total cost of the trip for the 6 of us that I'm insuring (cruise, excursions, airbnb) but then on the certificate, it divides it by 6 for a maximum benefit to each person. Since it's a cruise, our fares vary quite a bit - from 3rd and 4th person in a balcony at 75% off, to an inside cabin 3rd person, and then the main travelers in each cabin. That maximum per person number is about the cost of Passenger 1 and 2 in the balcony cruise fare only, while it's significantly more than the cost for all the others. Should I purchase insurance separately for the expensive fares passengers and then for the others? It just seems that if I cancel the trip, 2 people will only get back their cruise fare and lose all the excursions costs, etc., while the others would lose some of the value of their insured amount.

I'm sorry if I'm rambling, maybe I'm overthinking it, but thank you for any insight and sharing any experiences.

I am NOT a cruise expert. But I have filed my fare share of claims for trip insurance and part of the process when filing a claim is sending in the invoices for your expenses as well as copies of your cc statements proving that you made those payments. You are correct, it does average the insured amount across all travelers. I personally think I would break up the insurance by household groups and leave it at that. That way you can easily tie the cc statements to the invoices, and that might help with expensive cabins vs non-expensive cabins. This might also make sense if one household might not travel, but the other would. I don't know that the insurance company would itemize the cost for passenger 1 vs passenger 2 in a room, even if you are getting a "discount" from the cruise line for booking it way. My guess is that they would just equalize that cost. But again, I've never filed a claim for a cruise.

You also mentioned "If I cancel the trip" so I assume you've researched what reasons would be covered if you cancel and what % you would get back?
Also, when I've filed a claim, usually each individual receives a check. If you are insuring your full costs (and that can be proven with a cc statement), there's nothing to prevent you from cashing your checks and then amongst yourselves, dividing in a fair manner.

Is anyone else sad about about the change coming to Amex Centurion
Oh good to know! I probably won't do that in the next few months because our closest Verizon stores are always packed on the weekend. But I'm retiring this Fall so I would have time to go and do something like this during the week. So if I switch to debit now and reduce my bill in the meantime, then start paying via CC in store when I have the time!

Thanks!
Congrats on your retirement.
But it probably would be best to go when it's packed, that way the customer service reps don't try to talk to you. The kiosk is easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter