I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone familiar with the MCO/Orlando airport is it true when departing on Southwest
airlines that lounge access is difficult to get to? I read on flyertalk and couple other places
that you have to go to security twice?
I believe there is a way to avoid security twice. It has to do with switching APMs. I think if you google the specifics you will find it. We were flying United and wanted to use Club MCO we were able to do it even though it was a different set of gates but same terminal.

For anyone familiar with the MCO/Orlando airport is it true when departing on Southwest
airlines that lounge access is difficult to get to? I read on flyertalk and couple other places

We flew Southwest in April and went to The Club MCO at Terminal B (Gates 70-99). We didn't have to go through security twice and it was pretty easy taking the tram. I asked for directions to remain airside as we left the lounge just in case. I'm not sure if it's an easy mistake to accidentally leave the secure area.

I have an offer to upgrade my Amex Everyday to Everyday Preferred: 40,000 MR for $2,000 spend in 6 months. Before I do this I want to make sure:

1. This is a good offer (I believe it is).
2. After a year, I can downgrade back to the Everyday without angering the Amex powers that be.

I am aware of the $95 AF. I put all of my groceries on my Amex unless another card has it as a rotating category.

Any reason I should not do this?

It's a good offer. I took the offer on an old ED, held it a little over a year, downgraded, then was offered the upgrade again about 2 weeks later lol (which I took).

It will lock you out of the SUB on the EDP if you haven't had it before (currently 30k for $2000 spend), but it's not a card I would use a 5/24 slot on, so I didn't care.

Keep track of the day you upgraded so you know when it's safe to downgrade back. It won't be tied to your annual fee unless you happened to upgrade on your card anniversary.

We flew Southwest in April and went to The Club MCO at Terminal B (Gates 70-99). We didn't have to go through security twice and it was pretty easy taking the tram. I asked for directions to remain airside as we left the lounge just in case. I'm not sure if it's an easy mistake to accidentally leave the secure area.
This is correct, no need to go through security twice for the Priority Pass lounge. It is a little bit of a hassle because you do have to take the non-SW tram to Terminal B where The Club is. Then when you head to your SW gate, you have to backtrack on the tram to the security area and get on the other tram to go to Terminal A for the SW gates. As long as you go directly from one tram to the other (they are almost right next to each other) it would be hard to accidentally leave the airside area.

I have an offer to upgrade my Amex Everyday to Everyday Preferred: 40,000 MR for $2,000 spend in 6 months. Before I do this I want to make sure:

1. This is a good offer (I believe it is).
2. After a year, I can downgrade back to the Everyday without angering the Amex powers that be.

I am aware of the $95 AF. I put all of my groceries on my Amex unless another card has it as a rotating category.

Any reason I should not do this?
I've gone back and forth 3 times I think. 😁 It's been a slightly different upgrade offer each time, but it's always been worth it for me.

Like others have said, you do not need to go through security twice. One of the tram sides coming back from the lounge is for international arrivals, there is over head signage, and entrance could be blocked off now, but pay attention because if you should get on the wrong tram you will come out outside of security. A few years ago there was some construction causing a problem but that is done.

I tried searching this thread for the info but couldn’t find it.

Does anyone know if Genie+ Fees will count as tickets for the Chase Freedom/Flex 5% bonus category this quarter? I was able to get the bonus on tickets purchased through Disney but was just hoping Genie+ would trigger it as well.

MY CSR SUB posted on my statement that closed - 10/21/18. So can I apply for a new CSR 10/22/22 or should I wait any longer?

Like others have said, you do not need to go through security twice. One of the tram sides coming back from the lounge is for international arrivals, there is over head signage, and entrance could be blocked off now, but pay attention because if you should get on the wrong tram you will come out outside of security. A few years ago there was some construction causing a problem but that is done.
So there is a sign on the tram stating if it goes to international gates and one for domestic gates?
Or is the sign for landside and 1 for airside? Will be traveling on holiday weekend so I know
crowds will be nuts and do not want to risk going through a long TSA line twice lol. Thank you

So there is a sign on the tram stating if it goes to international gates and one for domestic gates?
Or is the sign for landside and 1 for airside? Will be traveling on holiday weekend so I know
crowds will be nuts and do not want to risk going through a long TSA line twice lol. Thank you
I'm not sure if it is still possible to go the wrong way. One time DH wasn't paying attention and got on the wrong tram, had to do security over. I think at least some of the doors to the international side are blocked off with tape. It is obvious if you look up which side you should be on, the signs are overhead not on the tram I think.

It's not airside or landside but something along the lines of international arrivals on one side. There is no issue getting to the lounge, it is when you are going back to the security area there is one side that is within the security bubble, you just walk over to the other tram for SW gates. The international side exits out the other way. Tried to find an image on Google and couldn't. You'll be fine, just check which tram you are getting on!

Last edited:
agreed this is my home airport too @georgina what are you trying to do that requires this 2 lounges?
Not 2 lounges. Where did I say 2 lounges? This is your home airport so you know there are 4 different gate areas? The SW gates are on a different tram route so you have to take 2 different trams - 1 to gates 70-99 area to get to the lounge, then take that tram back to security area and get on the one to the SW gates Which are 100 & up. If you do it right you don’t go through security twice.

I had to do the same thing last week when flying American. The lounge on that side is in the 1-29 area, and I was flying out of gate 50. So 2 trams required.

Last edited:
I tried searching this thread for the info but couldn’t find it.

Does anyone know if Genie+ Fees will count as tickets for the Chase Freedom/Flex 5% bonus category this quarter? I was able to get the bonus on tickets purchased through Disney but was just hoping Genie+ would trigger it as well.
Yes the gene+ fees will count 5x on the CFF….just used it last week

Not 2 lounges. Where did I say 2 lounges? This is your home airport so you know there are 4 different gate areas? The SW gates are on a different tram route so you have to take 2 different trams - 1 to gates 70-99 area to get to the lounge, then take that tram back to security area and get on the one to the SW gates Which are 100 & up. If you do it right you don’t go through security twice.

I had to do the same thing last week when flying American. The lounge on that side is in the 1-29 area, and I was flying out of gate 50. So 2 trams required.
Ahh i just assumed you wanted to so gate 50 is terminal 3 so your lounge access is where? Is all this worth it for lounge food? Sorry I'm used to going delta and sometimes being over crowded going to the wine place. Then with Alaska and others i just go to cask and larder. To me at least seems like a lot of work to save $20.
Also according to their website you can't gate hop all you need is a TSA asking you why you did something and delay your flight or something. I've had it where with precheck it's taken me 40 minutes a few times. To me not worth it.

Last edited:

I have been wondering the exact same thing - thanks everyone for clarifying for @georgina and all the rest of us who want to check out the lounge but are easily in the wrong place:-)

I have been wondering the exact same thing - thanks everyone for clarifying for @georgina and all the rest of us who want to check out the lounge but are easily in the wrong place:-)
well, good luck to both of you I wouldn't want to be denied entry, and wait in line for 20-40 minutes just to save 20$ per person on an already stressful situation lol. If you all find out let me know so I can share the wealth I for one never do this. Not as long as I could be denied entry.

I did find this on their site.

You will only be allowed through the security checkpoint for the Gate Area from which you are departing. However, due to the configuration of the Terminals A & B, it is possible to access either Gates 1-29 AND Gates 30-59, OR Gates 70-99 AND Gates 100-129 once you have passed through the security checkpoint for your gate.

Similarly, on arrival in Terminals A or B, you may access either Gates 1-29 AND Gates 30-59, OR Gates 70-99 AND Gates 100-129 depending on the gate at which you arrive, by switching Gate Links (APM) in Terminals A & B. If you wish to access the other Gate Area which is paired with yours, go directly to the other Gate Link (APM) as soon as you disembark the Gate Link (APM) in Terminal A or B. Do not go past the security checkpoint and out into the Terminal otherwise you will NOT be allowed back through security to access the other Gate Area.

Please note that this may not be possible during certain times of the day for security reasons while international passengers are arriving in the terminal.

Ahh i just assumed you wanted to so gate 50 is terminal 3 so your lounge access is where? Is all this worth it for lounge food? Sorry I'm used to going delta and sometimes being over crowded going to the wine place. Then with Alaska and others i just go to cask and larder. To me at least seems like a lot of work to save $20.
Also according to their website you can't gate hop all you need is a TSA asking you why you did something and delay your flight or something. I've had it where with precheck it's taken me 40 minutes a few times. To me not worth it.
One more try. There are 2 lounges at MCO. There are 2 TSA checkpoints at MCO. One checkpoint is for gates 1-69. Once you are through that you can take either people mover, to gates 1-29 or to 30-69. You can go to the lounge in the 1-29 area, take a tram back and catch the tram to the other gates 30-whatever on that side. No extra TSA involved. They will not have any questions to ask. Simple.

The other security checkpoint is for gates 70-129. Again, once you are past security you can go either way. The lounge is in the 70-99 side, the SW gates 100-129. No additional security needed or TSA questions. However, half of the 70-99 gates are for international arrivals and you would not want to get on that side of the people mover after leaving the lounge because it would take you outside of security. If you pay attention and get on the correct tram back to the gates 100-129 you are fine. If taking 2 quick trams is not worth it to you, fine. I don't care.

My first time last week at the smaller lounge on the American side was interesting. There was a small (15 min) waiting list but I had extra time. The bartender basically gave me a bottomless gin & tonic until I told him to stop. Salad, sandwiches, decent soup, a quieter place to wait, all worth it to me.

Last edited:
My first time last week at the smaller lounge on the American side was interesting. There was a small (15 min) waiting list but I had extra time. The bartender basically gave me a bottomless gin & tonic until I told him to stop. Salad, sandwiches, decent soup, a quieter place to wait, all worth it to

This is good to know. Since I've had lounge access I've only flown dl from mco. Flying aa in march though I might eat breakfast before I head to the airport if I haven't had any Mickey waffles yet. Flights after 11 though so I'm sure I'll want a snack 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter