I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pumped to realize that 1 month from today we are headed to Universal!

I hope my wife’s flight anxiety is manageable this time - always a worry as a trip approaches.

Hope your wife does okay with the flight. If your girls want to ride Hagrid's, it is awesome! They have been closing the ride about 3 pm most days lately. We arrived around 5, so we didn't get to ride it the first day. The second day (Saturday) we arrived at the turnstiles about 8:20. Happened to be in a slow moving turnstile line, but still was off the ride by 9:40. Came back about 2 pm to get in line. Waited in line for about 3 1/2 hours and was right at the last room, but it had rained and they kept saying that they were working on getting the ride back up. It was hard to leave the line knowing how close we were, but the lady in front of us waited 4 hours and finally gave it up. Not sure if they ever got the ride going again.

1) When did you begin churning?
I started in 2015 with a southwest card and getting a CP. Didn't do anything else until this spring(May 2019) when I joined the thread here.

2) Are you in 1 player mode or 2 player mode?
2 player

3) How many cards have you gotten total? (and how many for each player if you are in 2 player mode)

2 player
P1 - 4 biz, I personal
P2 - 3 biz

4) IF APPLICABLE: What is one card you have gotten that is somewhat peculiar or not mainstream?

My oldest card is a citi personal card that I get 1 1/2% back at the end of every year. So, that was always my card I use most before I started churning.

5) Share any other details you think might be fun about your churning efforts.

I don't have anything fun to share yet. Wish I did!

With the exception of Disney, any recommendations for cruise lines for Europe? I was looking at RCCL since we have done them for the Caribbean.
We are sailing on the Carnival Mardi Gras Maiden Voyage. It's a Baltic cruise with some unusual ports. The ship is going to have a rollercoaster on the top deck. That should be interesting. I have teens. If we're not sailing on DCl I gravitate towards the bigger, newer ships with better teen lounges and activities.

Good advice. Since I've started paying all my bills with credit cards it's harder for me to keep track of what is bills and what is actually spending. I really like using just 1 or 2 cards all the time. Using multiple cards makes it harder to keep track of my spending. I've had a system that I've used for years now it's changed. I have to come up with a new system.
I have the same issue! It's harder to track what we are spending in what catagories and how well we stick to budget.

Fun Midweek Exercise:

1. "Began" churning...idk...But started applying for cc's to collect points in May 2017.

2. P1 (though DD wants in...)

3. # of cards acquired: 5 Business and 6 Personal.

More fun the more you know. So Thanks to everyone.

Hilton experts... a couple of questions...

I finished MSR on the Hilton Biz. I got the points already but haven't gotten the Free weekend night certificate. How long does it usually take?

I have a trip to Japan next month. Any great Hilton redemption for the free weekend night certificate for Osaka?

Thanks in advance.

There have been reports that the Free Weekend Night Certificates on the Hilton cards have been lagging in posting. You should chat with Amex and they should be able to help you push it through.

As for a redemption in Osaka, @DisneyMandC is using hers at the Conrad Osaka. Looks like a good choice.

I love this thread but I'm always so behind....

1) When did you begin churning?
Feb 2016. While attempting to afford a trip to Disney World, signed up for the Disney Visa.($200 bonus). Then found DISBOARDS and started the Southwest cards.

2 player mode

3) How many cards have you gotten total? (and how many for each player if you are in 2 player mode)
Not including PC’s
P1 – 10 personal…3 business 2/24
P2 – 6 personal…2 Business 5/24
Almost exclusively through organic spending (which is an issue within itself..lol)

4) IF APPLICABLE: What is one card you have gotten that is somewhat peculiar or not mainstream?
When I was living in NYin the mid 90's. Winston cigarettes sponsored the NASCAR races. At Watkin’s Glen one year I signed up for a Kenny Schrader VISA Card. It was basically a VISA card with the NASCAR logo and #25 Kenny Schrader Chevrolet. Technically my 1st attempt at churning. I got 2 packs of Winstons lights. A coupon for a carton and a Nascar Winston jacket. How times have changed lol…

Hard to admit how ignorant I was. When I first discovered this hobby from planning a Disney trip. I never understood rewards. Upon further research I looked at the Visa card I already had and had actually accrued about $500 that I didn’t even realize was there. I always assumed I had to go buy some of the dumb expensive things in their rewards portals. Didn’t know I could cash out or these rewards were actually worth something..

Last edited:
Quick question for those of you who accumulate SW RR points but have two cardholders: do you just work from two banks of RR points? I have control issues and would want all the points in my account, LOL!
Yes I book from both my and DHs RR accounts....he does not even know his account information since I set it up many years ago and book all our flights

Good advice. Since I've started paying all my bills with credit cards it's harder for me to keep track of what is bills and what is actually spending. I really like using just 1 or 2 cards all the time. Using multiple cards makes it harder to keep track of my spending. I've had a system that I've used for years now it's changed. I have to come up with a new system.
I got my week off in February. I'm not sure what we're going to do, but I know it will eat up a whole MSR. I've run out of business cards I want or that I can get I'm 5/24. I thought about the Hilton Biz, but that would just be another Amex card I would have to cancel. I already have three I'm going to cancel next Summer. I think I'm done with MSR for a few months.
I have the same issue! It's harder to track what we are spending in what catagories and how well we stick to budget.
I use YNAB, others use Mint or other free budget programs from their banks. I started using YNAB because I like the way it handles credit card transactions - my free budget program from my bank always double counted all my spending, once as a purchase and once as paying off the credit card. Also helps track the cards I have and when payments are due - couldn't keep all that straight without it.

I also like the way the actual budgeting part works, and it has helped me identify areas where we were spending too much money (other than moving money around so that bills got paid and everything else went into savings, I was not systematic about budgeting at all pre-YNAB). Anyway, things are definitely a lot more complicated when you are juggling multiple cards, esp. if you start buying gift cards etc. YNAB does cost money, but I don't think I could play this game without it.

Yes, those are the kids that are coming.
The tournament is actually in Schaumburg, so we are there Thurs, Fri, Sat pm. Games end Sat pm or Sunday, depending on how they do, so Sunday we could move to a hotel in the city. We will have Sunday afternoon and most of Monday to explore. Flying home from MDW.
I looked at the Bears and Blackhawks and both are away games, unfortuantely. Last trip we did the architectural boat tour which was fun. I'd say museums won't entertain anyone, but open to other ideas.

ETA: @Psychodisney I just saw you replied as well. Here is the info.
Schaumburg is Northwest suburbs, not really close to Chicago proper as far as doing things unless you’re up for an hour plus drive. There’s a large mall in Schaumburg called Woodfield which has lots of stuff in/nearby. There’s a Legoland Discovery Center, Medieval Times (jousting show) and Spring Valley Nature Center and farm. Jurassic World tour is at Allstate Arena that weekend. There are also countless ninja gyms, trampoline parks, etc.

1) When did you begin churning? (feel free to expound on this a little bit if you have details to share)

pre 2016 i did not know about churning but had gone threw a couple of southwest cards and alaska cards to get to idaho to see my grandkids. and several disney card, for those bonus giftcards. in 2016 i discovered this thread and churned some alaska boa and ihg to get to florida with my parents for a cruise. then got started on the chase cards, which brought my kids home for christmas for a couple of years. more chase and more alaska got us to hawaii. got some great advice from @SouthFayetteFan on the old spg,marriott and worked it to get southwest points for flying 6 of us to DL and got an extra hotel week that we spent at hot august nites.

2 player (he lets me do it all but doesn't object.)

records show 36, 18 each, but records did not exsist before 2016

think they are all pretty mainstream according to this forum but maybe a few extra alaska boa before they put an end to that. only airline directly from pdx to my grandkids.

rolled over to cc churning from the gc churning like several others on this site when that came to an end.

I was able to book my free night for Hyatt online. It comes up as an option once you 'select' a night you want to book. The top lines of your selection will say points or cash and points or free night - if you have a free night that will cover the points cost of the room.
On a mobile device or laptop? I have tried multiple times on my iPad but find nothing. I find a screen that says book your free night or something like that but then it just takes me to a regular booking screen. I have already booked with points but it’s a cat 4 so the certificate should apply.
ETA if I try only 1 night I do see an option for free night but not for 2 nights even though I had enough points plus free night.

Last edited:
I saw this on r/awardtravel: Do you burn your miles to 0 or do you keep a minimum at all times?

For us, I like to keep 100k (SW/UR) in case of an emergency, I’ve never been able to keep more than that, we are always using points. But we are slow earners too.

1) When did you begin churning? (feel free to expound on this a little bit if you have details to share)

Interesting question. At what point do you go from being just a normal person with some knowledge of credit card rewards to being able to call yourself a churner? My first credit card was a GM card. I opened it when I graduated high school in 2002. It earned 5% on everything but could only be used towards the purchase of a GM car. So in 2006 I had $500 which I put towards my first car. I wouldn't say I became a churner until I get married in 2010. My wife and I would go on at least two trips a year and would always try to pay for everything through credit card points. When we started having kids in 2012, the vacations stopped, and so did the credit card sign-ups. Now my 3 kids are a bit older and more enjoyable to travel with, so over the past couple years we have ramped up our churning efforts once again.

2 player mode. Player 2 knows nothing about this other than that if she puts all spend on the cards I tell her to, she will get to go on vacations for free. She has no desire to be involved in the credit card planning, but is all for me doing it and signing her up for whatever.

Me - 18 personal - 6 business (Most of those personals are from several years ago.....I'm only 2/24!!)
P2 - 16 personal - 2 business

The most peculiar card is probably the GM card I talked about in Question 1.

My work buddy is completely against credit cards. No matter how much I try to convince him of the amazing things he could do with credit card bonuses, he does not care. I guess his wife had some issues with credit card debt at one time, and he is completely against credit cards now. So this guy pays cash for everything.

So whenever this guy has a large expense, he lets me put it on my credit card, and he reimburses me with cash. I have made car repair payments, bought furniture, and even paid for part of his daughter's wedding with my credit cards. I'll take the points however I can get them!

Schaumburg is Northwest suburbs, not really close to Chicago proper as far as doing things unless you’re up for an hour plus drive. There’s a large mall in Schaumburg called Woodfield which has lots of stuff in/nearby. There’s a Legoland Discovery Center, Medieval Times (jousting show) and Spring Valley Nature Center and farm. Jurassic World tour is at Allstate Arena that weekend. There are also countless ninja gyms, trampoline parks, etc.
Thank you! We wouldn't be staying in Schaumburg for the extra days I am adding on. We'd move into the city and do things there.
I will keep this list though, in case we have spare time btwn games on the tournament days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter