• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the one who posted that my DD did this - it is costly (although her's started out closer to $28,000 for tuition/room/board), but she was fortunate that she was receiving almost $12,000 in scholarships from her normal university. She was able to apply her scholarships there toward her study abroad. She also chose an inside cabin which was about $3,000 cheaper than outside along with taking an onboard job while she was gone. She was assigned to the library and loved it - I think she got $3,000 off of her tuition for that as well. The jobs consisted of working 2 hours an every day they were on the ship. She also received a scholarship from a group she participated with on campus - NSCS that helped some as well. Finally, due to the fact that she had good merit scholarships, she had not paid much at all for her other years of school, so was able to splurge a bit on her study abroad.

It was a costly semester, but for her well worth it. Most of the friends that she met on board were relatively frugal, so they planned their land activities with finances in mind (some students didn't and took all SAS trips which were $$$!). For example, when they were not staying on ship, they stayed in hostels, ate as many meals on ship as possible, bought food from grocery stores when it worked out, etc. Not trying to convince anyone of anything, just saying that we are not wealthy by any stretch and she was fortunate to be able to pull it together and make it happen.

What a great opportunity. How fun. My DD loves cruising so this would be up her ally. Looks like she got a great deal with all the scholarships. That is awesome!!

I'm the one who posted that my DD did this - it is costly (although her's started out closer to $28,000 for tuition/room/board), but she was fortunate that she was receiving almost $12,000 in scholarships from her normal university. She was able to apply her scholarships there toward her study abroad. She also chose an inside cabin which was about $3,000 cheaper than outside along with taking an onboard job while she was gone. She was assigned to the library and loved it - I think she got $3,000 off of her tuition for that as well. The jobs consisted of working 2 hours an every day they were on the ship. She also received a scholarship from a group she participated with on campus - NSCS that helped some as well. Finally, due to the fact that she had good merit scholarships, she had not paid much at all for her other years of school, so was able to splurge a bit on her study abroad.

It was a costly semester, but for her well worth it. Most of the friends that she met on board were relatively frugal, so they planned their land activities with finances in mind (some students didn't and took all SAS trips which were $$$!). For example, when they were not staying on ship, they stayed in hostels, ate as many meals on ship as possible, bought food from grocery stores when it worked out, etc. Not trying to convince anyone of anything, just saying that we are not wealthy by any stretch and she was fortunate to be able to pull it together and make it happen.

What a great opportunity. How fun. My DD loves cruising so this would be up her ally. Looks like she got a great deal with all the scholarships. That is awesome!!
I personally think so as long as you are super careful about the 90 days and making sure the spend is after your Dec statement. Many others are waiting until 10/10 or so.

Yeah - I think I will wait until next week just to be safe. ( I hate waiting...)

]
ooohhhh! I did not know that. nice!

Well the games start friday morning, but we have to all travel thursday. There is a big convention thing set up for everyone starting at 2pm Thursday and our team is meeting at the hotel that pm for a costume party so they will be fine. DD3 did ToT at MNSSHP in Sept, so she is good too.
You could trick or treat at my house. Lol
Thanks so much! I actually was looking at the architectural cruise, you might have convinced me. :D
It’s a great cruise. They even have a brunch version. If you’re looking for free, the cruises are bookable through the UR portal.
I totally screwed up with this last night. After 11 years of marriage, DW and I recently decided to actually go on a budget but I had planned my cards based on previous months instead of this month. With paying off car #2 next month I am realizing that I need to plan better. We can probably still hit $5k in 3 months organically but I picked up a $5k CIP MSR last night and need to apply for the SW Biz Performance in the next couple of weeks for another $5k in a little over 3 months. That 10k plus another 3k starting in December is going to be rough so I am looking for alternatives. I want to stick to a monthly budget so don't want to prepay too many bills. I'm probably going to have to Venmo a big chunk on the SW Biz Performance... and definitely have to start planning my cards around my spend.
Are you in a state with Great Southern Bank? You can fund a new account with up to $5000 on a credit card.
I've probably done the cruise 20+ times now, LOL. I still like it!
Have you done the brunch one?

So sitting at work - trying to figure out how to squeeze in a cheap Disney Trip even though I just had a week trip in July. But I won't be able to probably go back until middle of 2021 and that is so far away.

Kids are done with college on December 13th. (Actually DD's finals are done the 9th, DS still may have finals until the 13th). Still have to check with DH to see if he is Ok with this as he most likely will not be going - he is not a Disney Fanatic like we are.

So, I booked SW flight for the 3 of us (because they can be easily cancelled) December 14- 18th. So 4 nights. All on points.

Trying to figure out the hotels and was looking at the USAAMILES site. DH has 74,750 points and I have 40,039 points. Looks like I can get 3 nights at either the Swan/Dolphin with DH's points and small amount of cash and then book the other night with my points. Will this work? DH does not have to travel to use his points right? And would I be able to connect the reservations so we could stay in the same room?

So tickets.... I have $550 from my US Bank Business Card I just finished my MSR on. Was thinking either 3 day tickets (the ones for after noon) or 2 Day tickets (same ones for after noon) and the Mickey's Christmas Party. Is the party worth it? I have been to the Halloween one and it was crowded - how does this compare? What would you choose? Want to do Epcot and Mk for sure then 1 other park - not sure which one yet. So, the money will cover a lot of the tickets but will have to spend a bit but not too bad.

I have never been during Christmas but would be able to go cheaper now since kids get done with school earlier than when in High School. So I really know nothing about the Christmas season at Disney as I usually bypass that info as it never pertained to me.

Hoping I can get this to work and then surprise the kids right before.... Any other hotel ideas would be great. But like the area of S/D and that we can use Disney Transportation (except Magical Express).

Update: Just looked further on USAAMILES website. Other options are Caribbean Beach for 3 nights on DH's points plus $358 and 1 night on my points or Coronado Springs for 3 Nights on DH's points plus $244 cash and 1 nigh on my points. Have not stayed at any Moderate Resort so not sure about these.

Last edited:
Thank you! We wouldn't be staying in Schaumburg for the extra days I am adding on. We'd move into the city and do things there.
I will keep this list though, in case we have spare time btwn games on the tournament days.
Navy Pier I think someone else mentioned but lots to do there. A kids museum, Ferris wheel, carousel, virtual reality ride, climbing wall, restaurants and shops. They have a pumpkin fest but it ends 11/2. They also have brunch and dinner cruises which leave from Navy Pier and speedboat tours (SeaDog). There are also food tours and sightseeing tours which leave from the pier.
There is also Shedd Aquarium which is pretty big and even has beluga whales and shark feeding. There is also Lincoln Park Zoo, which is free but costs to park if you take a car. I know you said no museums, but Museum of Science and Industry is actually pretty cool and lots of hands on. There is everything from an indoor tornado, to model trains, to an actual submarine, to a coal mine. I always loved the chick hatching exhibit too.

So sitting at work - trying to figure out how to squeeze in a cheap Disney Trip even though I just had a week trip in July. But I won't be able to probably go back until middle of 2021 and that is so far away.

Kids are done with college on December 13th. (Actually DD's finals are done the 9th, DS still may have finals until the 13th). Still have to check with DH to see if he is Ok with this as he most likely will not be going - he is not a Disney Fanatic like we are.

So, I booked SW flight for the 3 of us (because they can be easily cancelled) December 14- 18th. So 4 nights. All on points.

Trying to figure out the hotels and was looking at the USAAMILES site. DH has 74,750 points and I have 40,039 points. Looks like I can get 3 nights at either the Swan/Dolphin with DH's points and small amount of cash and then book the other night with my points. Will this work? DH does not have to travel to use his points right? And would I be able to connect the reservations so we could stay in the same room?

So tickets.... I have $550 from my US Bank Business Card I just finished my MSR on. Was thinking either 3 day tickets (the ones for after noon) or 2 Day tickets (same ones for after noon) and the Mickey's Christmas Party. Is the party worth it? I have been to the Halloween one and it was crowded - how does this compare? What would you choose? Want to do Epcot and Mk for sure then 1 other park - not sure which one yet. So, the money will cover a lot of the tickets but will have to spend a bit but not too bad.

I have never been during Christmas but would be able to go cheaper now since kids get done with school earlier than when in High School. So I really know nothing about the Christmas season at Disney as I usually bypass that info as it never pertained to me.

Hoping I can get this to work and then surprise the kids right before.... Any other hotel ideas would be great. But like the area of S/D and that we can use Disney Transportation (except Magical Express).

Update: Just looked further on USAAMILES website. Other options are Caribbean Beach for 3 nights on DH's points plus $358 and 1 night on my points or Coronado Springs for 3 Nights on DH's points plus $244 cash and 1 nigh on my points. Have not stayed at any Moderate Resort so not sure about these.
You should check out AAvacations. Often you’ll see the miles cost even lower over there - I’d compare both.

Quick question for those of you who accumulate SW RR points but have two cardholders: do you just work from two banks of RR points? I have control issues and would want all the points in my account, LOL!
Yes, we work from two banks of points. I wish transfers were free. Like @palhockeymomof2 , I have DH's login info so I can just do it myself.

What is the favorite cat 5 or under Marriott property near WDW?
I'm curious what other people like, we have stayed at the Springhill Suites Flamingo Crossing, which has free parking and breakfast, easy drive to the parks. It's a 4. It's in an undeveloped area. I see that the Gaylord Palms and Orlando World Center are 5's but I've never stayed at either.

Depending on the weather, Brookfield Zoo is awesome. It's kind of on the way to MDW too.
Out in Schaumburg area, if you're looking for breakfast places, you can't go wrong with Walker Brother's or Wildberry.
BZ is good, pass by on the way to work daily. Lol. Not familiar with Wildberry. Please share details.
My Chase business cards usually close 6 days after the payment due date...so your first statement may close around 10/8
Interesting, CIU/CIC are 6 days, other SW Biz is 3 days. :confused3

Fun Midweek Exercise:

After reading @Brian4891 contribution my memory was jogged a bit.

We too had the GM card in the late 90's - early 2000's. While not "churning" per se, we used the card as much as possible. The first time we cashed in our points we had the equivalent of nearly a $4,000 down payment! Unfortunately they changed the rules on the card and our second purchase only allowed, I believe, a maximum of $2k. My DH was in outside sales and bought Chevy Astro vans every couple years. At the time ALL of his business expenses were able to be charged to the card of his choice. It didn't take long to rack up the points!

When the rules changed on the GM Card and we maxed out the bonus, we then got the Toys R Us card to accrue money for Christmas.

So I guess I sort of started this hobby over 25 years ago! :P

So I'm working on strategy for a 2021 trip to Italy. Business and First class are likely out since we are such a large group. For the experienced travelers, what would be your second choice of airline/seat? If we don't have Business we will likely take a positioning flight to the East Coast somewhere to minimize the length of the flight over.

When ordering a second, third, etc Serve card can you order them all on the same day with same personal info, address and email, or is it better to spread out the requests?

Just off the phone with Discover. Oh man. After answering some identity questions, like credit report style ones, they asked when I had last used the account. Um, I mean I tried to move all that money from Chase in July, that Chase cancelled for fraud... and I tried to pay a credit card out of it and then also send part of my paycheck but they got bounced back... and then I got a lecture about how you can't pay bills with savings accounts, only checking, and that might be why it's frozen. :rolleyes: Alrighty then.

She puts me on hold and then comes back and tells me the freeze is from last year... it's from when I moved money in and out when opening the account to trigger the bonus 🤦‍♀️ It's just that until recently Ally had had a better interest rate so I never really moved money in there lol

There have been reports that the Free Weekend Night Certificates on the Hilton cards have been lagging in posting. You should chat with Amex and they should be able to help you push it through.

As for a redemption in Osaka, @DisneyMandC is using hers at the Conrad Osaka. Looks like a good choice.

Are there different offers on the Biz cards? DH says he doesn't think we get a free night with the one he got, and now I'm all confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter