Gay-friendly Thread!

Ok ladies, if you move forward with a DIS Gay Days, you gotta let us know. Joe and I would love to hang out and meet up with like minded DIS'ers (and our great open minded straight counter parts)!

Woo hoo! Party on dudes (and dudettes)!

Not my tough guy officially.. I just borrow him.. he is my nephew.. and my sister graciously allows me to watch him on the weekends!! LOL!! He is my heart!!!! I can't wait till she lets me take him to DISNEY!!

Rick.. we can have our own little gathering here in the city!! I am right around the corner from ya!!

Hey.. there's another idea.. anyone coming to NY soon??? LOL!! We can have a mini gathering here too!!

I am off to the world tomorrow.. but will have my computer and will check in daily.. look for my thread!

have a great night all.. I know I will ... I will be in Florida this time tomorrow night (not in Disney yet.. but just a breath away!!!)

Kathy :wave:

RickinNYC said:
Ok ladies, if you move forward with a DIS Gay Days, you gotta let us know. Joe and I would love to hang out and meet up with like minded DIS'ers (and our great open minded straight counter parts)!

Woo hoo! Party on dudes (and dudettes)!

Of course the guys are in!
:grouphug:

Should we start a separate thread, entitled Dis-boards lesbian/gay meet (or something smarter???) and see what the level of interest might be?

BTW, Gwen and I were back at the Park last night, where it was lesbian and gay night, and it was terrific to see a sea of family taking over right field.

On the way out, I stole a brief peak to see I could spy the security guard, but I didn't see him. I'll let you guys know what I hear from Ed.

I was at PI on a Wed. We, myself and 2 friends, just went to the adventure's club for a few hours, while our husbands took the kids to Disney Quest. That night, the majority of people together were same sex, about 4 families with kids in tow (even a couple infants), a few families with teenagers, and some boy/girl couples. As another poster mentioned, there's no way to tell if someone was straight or not. And yes, it's not uncommon to see people from other countries linking arms.

Viki, I'm so sorry for what happened to you after the Phillies game. That was so not right. Hopefully the powers that be will know exactly what security guard you are talking about.

I have to add that I was a bit offended by the evangelical comment in another post. I am an evangelical christian. I would never consider wearing a tacky shirt that judges someone or act out against someone in hatred. My parents raised me better than that. Both of my parents were Sunday School teachers and they drilled into our head to love your neighbor as yourself and to follow the Golden Rule. They also taught us that tolerance wasn't good. Because with tolerance there is compromise. With compromise, someone gets the short end of the deal. We were taught to love everybody for who they are.

lovethattink said:
I have to add that I was a bit offended by the evangelical comment in another post. I am an evangelical christian. I would never consider wearing a tacky shirt that judges someone or act out against someone in hatred.

Hey, I'm an evangelical Christian and I'm gay. So I do know what you mean... there are some folks out there who give the rest of us a bad name!

On the subject of the gay crowd at PI... I had a fun experience one trip. I was there with a friend, and while visiting an attraction at MGM, I struck up a conversation with a CM. (My friend teased me that I was flirting, but I wasn't! Honest! I'm just friendly. :)) Anyway, it turned out that we had a lot in common, and he was a gay Christian too. My friend mentioned that we were going to PI that night, so the CM ended up bringing two of his friends, and the five of us had a great time just hanging out and chatting in DTD. So there we were, five gay Christian 20-somethings at Disney World during the Southern Baptist boycott, and I kept thinking, "If only the Southern Baptist folks in my church back home could see us all now!" ;)

As far as Gay Days... I've still never managed to convince myself to go. For one thing, I don't have the money to go every year, so I hate to waste my trips on summer crowds when I have a much better time in the off season. For another thing, my gay friends who have gone made it sound a little, um, wild. One of them in particular was really upset because he said it didn't reflect well on us as a community and that he hated for unsuspecting families to be subjected to it.

I dunno... I love being around gay couples; it's the wild party boys who scare me! :earseek:

-p.b.

lovethattink said:
I have to add that I was a bit offended by the evangelical comment in another post. I am an evangelical christian. I would never consider wearing a tacky shirt that judges someone or act out against someone in hatred. My parents raised me better than that. Both of my parents were Sunday School teachers and they drilled into our head to love your neighbor as yourself and to follow the Golden Rule. They also taught us that tolerance wasn't good. Because with tolerance there is compromise. With compromise, someone gets the short end of the deal. We were taught to love everybody for who they are.

I was one of the ones laughing the hardest (and I still like the joke, sorry!), but I hear you. There are lots of terrific evangelicals in my world that are a lot more "open" than the mainline denomination I'm currently serving. I'm an (ordained) teacher and consultant in the ELCA (mainline Lutherans), and just this week they voted once again to NOT allow (sexually active) lesbian and gay folk to be ordained (which, of course, they are all the time and many of them are among the best pastors in the church). Sheesh. I'm not going anywhere, but they make it real, real hard.

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

polarboi said:
As far as Gay Days... I've still never managed to convince myself to go. For one thing, I don't have the money to go every year, so I hate to waste my trips on summer crowds when I have a much better time in the off season. For another thing, my gay friends who have gone made it sound a little, um, wild. One of them in particular was really upset because he said it didn't reflect well on us as a community and that he hated for unsuspecting families to be subjected to it.

I dunno... I love being around gay couples; it's the wild party boys who scare me! :earseek:

-p.b.

Yes, like I wrote earlier, it's never appealed to me either. It sounds mobbed. And after growing up in FLA in the early 70s, and taking every northern relative related by blood or marriage to the Magic Kingdom again and again and again, I avoid mobs at all costs - while still loving disney.

Viki said:
On another note, you know, it's funny, I've never felt particularly interested in traveling down during Gay Days. But I think we're going to have to one of these years.

I can't get there then until 2007. Go then! We can all dance at PI whatever night it is!

Only moments away from Disney now!! LOL! I am in Florida now... Universal tomorrow and then Disney on Monday-Sunday.. Anyone around?? we could have a mini meet :) I will check out PI on Thursday night and report back for you!!!

Kath :flower:

Valentine said:
I will check out PI on Thursday night and report back for you!!!Kath :flower:

Yes, by all means let us know the qualitvy and character of Thursday nights at PI.

Another half of a couple that never has been nor do we intend to go, to Gay Days. I understand why it exists and why some gay folks will only go at that time. But I live in NYC so I don't feel the "need" to go and be surrounded by like minded individuals. If I wanted that, I can just walk just about anywhere in the entire city.

Joe and I go to Disney not to "be gay" but to enjoy ourselves and each other's company, enjoy the magic, meet new people, eat great food, check out all the attractions, sit by the resort pool, take naps in the afternoons, have cocktails at PI, shop all over the place and, most especially, relive our childhoods. If I had to add gay in there somewhere, it'd be pretty low on the totem pole of priorities.

As for meeting any gay DIS'ers, either when in WDW or here in NYC, I'd be all for it! We'll be in the World 10/26-11/5!

Valentine, we should get together sometime. Hey, we can go to the Cubbyhole for cocktails or something!!!

RickinNYC said:
Another half of a couple that never has been nor do we intend to go, to Gay Days. I understand why it exists and why some gay folks will only go at that time. But I live in NYC so I don't feel the "need" to go and be surrounded by like minded individuals. If I wanted that, I can just walk just about anywhere in the entire city.
RickinNYC said:
Rick-

I think I feel the same way as you do. Although I am always curious and wonder what it would be like, reports of a Disneyfied circuit party are abundant in Montreal! A male acquaintance casuallt mentionned attending yet never boarding one ride :earseek: :earseek:

joanjett1976 said:
RickinNYC said:
RickinNYC said:
Rick-

I think I feel the same way as you do. Although I am always curious and wonder what it would be like, reports of a Disneyfied circuit party are abundant in Montreal! A male acquaintance casuallt mentionned attending yet never boarding one ride :earseek: :earseek:

Circuit parties are a thing of the past for me. Sure, went to a couple (only in NYC though) but got over them pretty quick. It's not that they're for the young, but that they're for a specific mindset which entails a type of person that I wouldn't normally socialize with anyway. Those guys tend to be pretty shallow in many, many ways. I like to think I run a little deeper than that.

I knew one guy that went to every circuit party you can imagine. His vacation schedule was around them. He kept trying to be my "new best friend" for quite a while until I told him "look, you're gay... I'm gay... does not mean we're instant pals..." He backed down quite a bit after that and his boyfriend at the time overheard it and told me later he thought it was the best thing anyone ever said to him.

And to put a focus on gay over Disney when on vacation? Squeeze me? Don't think so! LOL!

Just thought I'd post here, too! I have to let everyone know that what Rick says is correct. Our time spent at WDW is not about us being a couple or showing off our "gayness" to the kids on the teacups. Plus, why would I wear a red shirt ALL weekend? Rick mentioned all the reasons we go but he forgot to mention two important reasons "I" go to WDW: 1) the footlong hotdogs at MK and 2) ICE CREAM EVERYWHERE. I mean, really. Where else can you go on vacation that no matter where you go, there's ice cream everywhere? Think about it. It's in every park. It's at every hotel. It's everywhere. It's like HEAVEN. :laughing:

But seriously, since we live in NYC, we go there to go on vacation. And yes, we do go to PI on Thursday when we're down there, and we feel comfortable being ourselves when there, but we have never been (and most likely will never be) that couple that MUST hold hands every moment. Nor are we that couple that MUST make a scene and kiss everytime a family with children happens across our path. It is not our mission while at Disney to "convert" or "shock" or "educate". It is our mission to enjoy yourselves and to eat ice cream.

billysotherdad said:
Just thought I'd post here, too! I have to let everyone know that what Rick says is correct. Our time spent at WDW is not about us being a couple or showing off our "gayness" to the kids on the teacups. Plus, why would I wear a red shirt ALL weekend? Rick mentioned all the reasons we go but he forgot to mention two important reasons "I" go to WDW: 1) the footlong hotdogs at MK and 2) ICE CREAM EVERYWHERE. I mean, really. Where else can you go on vacation that no matter where you go, there's ice cream everywhere? Think about it. It's in every park. It's at every hotel. It's everywhere. It's like HEAVEN. :laughing:

But seriously, since we live in NYC, we go there to go on vacation. And yes, we do go to PI on Thursday when we're down there, and we feel comfortable being ourselves when there, but we have never been (and most likely will never be) that couple that MUST hold hands every moment. Nor are we that couple that MUST make a scene and kiss everytime a family with children happens across our path. It is not our mission while at Disney to "convert" or "shock" or "educate". It is our mission to enjoy yourselves and to eat ice cream.

Let me clarify that it's Joe's mission to eat ice cream AND when he's eating it, he always takes a big scoop and puts it in his mouth, scrapes some off and leaves the rest on his spoon. Which, in my humble opinion, is incredibly disgusting. But it's a great deterrent from my ever asking if I can have some.

Yuck.

Rick has this THING about that. Even people on TV and in commercials do it. He thinks its disgusting, but when you eat ice cream, and you take a spoonful, it's your spoon and if you take some of it from the spoon and then eat the rest in another 5 seconds or so, why is that disgusting? Most people do it. Rick only takes what he plans to eat at that moment onto his spoon. Only Rick would think about this! When I'm eating ice cream, the very last thing I'm thinking about is..."mmm, now, how much would I like to have on this spoon at this moment?" I'm probably thinking..."mmmmmm. ice cream. mmmmm. ice cream....mmmmm. icecreammmmmmicecream." My brain is closing in a decent freeze :cold: and it has no opportunity to think..."WHOA, that's way too much on the spoon, I'd better put a little bit back into the cup."

And, if Rick sees me take only half of the contents of the spoon into my mouth, he'll be too disgusted to ask for some. :cool1:

billysotherdad said:
Most people do it. Rick only takes what he plans to eat at that moment onto his spoon. Only Rick would think about this!

1.) You eat your icecream in a disgusting manner.
2.) What does that mean? "Only Rick would think about this!"? Hmmmmm????? Somebody is sleepin' on the couch tonight.

billysotherdad said:
Plus, why would I wear a red shirt ALL weekend?.

:rotfl2:

Too funny!

I agree. Living in Montreal, it is a giant circuit party at all times . I had my fill at Pride a few weeks back. It is always a tad awkward for two chicks to be surrounded by 1000's of sweaty, shirtless men for an entire weekend!

On the subject of PDA's, whenever we hold hands, people assume we are sisters and often bluntly ask us this very question. How very odd.

Any of you fellas planning a trip up here anytime?

joanjett1976 said:
:rotfl2:

Too funny!

I agree. Living in Montreal, it is a giant circuit party at all times . I had my fill at Pride a few weeks back. It is always a tad awkward for two chicks to be surrounded by 1000's of sweaty, shirtless men for an entire weekend!

On the subject of PDA's, whenever we hold hands, people assume we are sisters and often bluntly ask us this very question. How very odd.

Any of you fellas planning a trip up here anytime?

Hi Everyone! :wave2: I just wanted to say that you all are so funny and I have enjoyed reading this thread. Just the other day my partner and I were leaving our apartment and our nosy neighbor came out and asked my partner Amy if I was her daughter. :confused3 Now this made us roll over laughing because I am almost 24 and she is a young looking 32. :rotfl: I have no clue why she would think she was my mother. Then after she said no she asked if we were sisters and Amy finally had to say no we are roommates. She finally accepted this answer and went back in her home. We just laughed at it the rest of the day. We are planning a trip May 13-May 21 of 2006 and are planning on staying at POP Century. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter