Gay-friendly Thread!

Viki-

pirate: Argh!

I cannot believe this happened to you. How horrifying. I hope you are dealing OK.

Before your next trip to WDW, Make a detour in Montreal and get hitched! I am surprised this law has not made any ripples!

gppnj said:
Since we're talking about all things gay, has anyone ever been there for Gay Days?

LOL, yes, I've been a couple times. (And me a straight guy, too, go figure.) I guess all the protests had the opposite of their intended effect; a couple years ago a friend and I decided to go see what had everyone all up in arms. Nothing too scandalous in the parks, but it turns out that it's probably my favorite night of the year at Pleasure Island: good crowds, funnier jokes, crowded dance floors, just a general sense of revelry and freedom. I know handful of other people that feel the same way. (Mannequin's on that night would probably be a bit of an eye opener if someone's at all phobic, though.)

This year seened WAY down, though. Dunno if it's the start of a trend, I hear it was a combination of private events and Universal blatently catering to the crowd (as opposed to Disney's policy of not officially recognizing the event) that tended to draw people away, but I'm far from plugged in to the organized side of things so could easily be wrong.

Viki said:
Disneyrsh said:
I just don't want to explain evangelicals to them...(now kids, there are people out there who we refer to as 'holier than thou')
LOL!!!
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

God, I loved this, especially today, after being gay-bashed at a Phillies game last night. My partner and I were walking arm in arm in the parking lot when 5 grown men took offense and smashed me with a water bottle. One of them fired on me, one of them cried out, "great shot," and they all got a great big kick of it. Lovely. A security guard standing near by just smirked. And this after my denomination this week decided to keep preventing lesbian and gay folk from being ordained.

Thank you for the smile!!!

Viki,
Definately write a letter to their front office detailing the incident. At least make them aware that their security should be there to... I dunno, actually provide security. If you get no resolution, let me know and I'll see if I can pull a couple of strings.

Wow! Thanks guys for all of the support. I think I really needed it. Yesterday is mostly a fog. In some ways it's like a very bad dream. My partner and I are partial season ticket holders, but it's my birthday today (the big 47!) and as a treat we bought really great seats, three rows behind the Phillies dugout for a really special view of the Phanatic's butt in the 7th inning when he does his hutchit cutchie dance. Really, great seats. All the players hang out just a few feet away. Of course we lost (it is, after all, the Phillies!), but it was still a great night and on the way out we saw two beautiful women, probably in their early 20s, casually holding hands as if it were nothing in the world, so we hooked arms and were blissfully chatting when all of this went down.

I intended to write a letter to Ed Wade, the GM of the Phillies, yesterday, but like I said I was in a daze, so with your encouragemnent I'll do it right now.

It all gets even weirder when you consider that tomorrow night is Lesbian and Gay night at the park. Perhaps that, at least, will feel like a cleansing, because we spend a lot of time at the park and are on the verge of buying the whole season plan next year.

I've been out (even within the church, which is, unfortunately one of the last places you want to be out) and active for years, but it still feels shocking that human beings would react so violently to love.

Thanks again, guy. You all have been great. :grouphug:

How sad Viki that you have to deal with narrow mindness like that. :confused3 :confused3
Now, personally I don't like to see any overt PDA, gay or straight. But what you and your partner were doing was not that. In Europe, this is normal behavior for women, linking arms.

I do have one question. Being straight, and over 50, this may sound dumb. But what is gay friendly mean? How is it different than straight friendly, or anything friendly? :wave2: :wave2:

KittyKitty said:
I do have one question. Being straight, and over 50, this may sound dumb. But what is gay friendly mean? How is it different than straight friendly, or anything friendly? :wave2: :wave2:

What I meant by the term was to ask if there was a night at PI where there were a few more gay folk than on other nights. In other words, was there a night, where the four of us, me and my partner and our two friends, wouldn't feel like we were standing out, carrying the banner, drawing unwanted attention just because we are together. I was asking if there was a night where we could just BE. Apparently, that night is Thursday and this year, more than I knew when I asked the question, that will be very welcome!
:grouphug:

And, yes, folk who are just "friendly" period are always nice too. Some of our best friends are straight! :flower:

Viki, it's too bad you even have to ask the question. :hug: :hug:

Have a great time, and be sure to let us know how it went. :cool1: :cool1:

I don't know if you'd stand out anyway, unless you were doing some serious PDA.

When I was single my girlfriends and I would all go out in a crowd to a nightclub and dance together. We were all straight, and I don't see that there's a way you could *tell* one way or another.

Unless you're doin' the PDA thing, which I always just want to say EWWWWW, Get A Room, gay or straight!

Disneyrsh said:
I don't know if you'd stand out anyway, unless you were doing some serious PDA. !

Well, apparently, I stood out at the ballgame on Monday night just because my friend and I were hooking arms.

On the other hand - as far as WDW went - I'd hoped to convey the seeking after more than just an absence (of standing out), but also a sense of community, of belonging, of family.

As a sidenote: I have no idea where this PDA stuff is coming from. Gwen and I have been married 20 years, we're lucky if we do anything X-rated in the comfort and privacy of our own home! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Viki said:
As a sidenote: I have no idea where this PDA stuff is coming from. Gwen and I have been married 20 years, we're lucky if we do anything X-rated in the comfort and privacy of our own home! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

15 years together with Joe here and all I've got say is "Amen sistah!" LOL!

OK, I just did it. I wrote and mailed a thorough write up of Monday night's incident, highlighting the inaction of the security guard who witnessed the event, and sent it to Phillies General Manager, Ed Wade. I hope he responds with something meaningful.

On another note, you know, it's funny, I've never felt particularly interested in traveling down during Gay Days. But I think we're going to have to one of these years.

Let us know if you receive any feedback Viki!

Our trip is planned for May 2-12. Any of you gonna be there around those dates? :earsgirl:

Viki said:

Twelve years, here, and I *so* hear you! (Toddler and live-in MIL don't help, either!)

Phoebe :)

joanjett1976 said:
Let us know if you receive any feedback Viki!

Our trip is planned for May 2-12. Any of you gonna be there around those dates? :earsgirl:

Perhaps we should plan our own DIS-Gay Days!! LOL! seems we have a nice crowd forming here!

I have been meaning to mention 'Joenjett1976' ... every time I see that pic in your siggie.. I stop and just say "wow.. those are 2 beautiful women.. and that is a fabulous picture!!" Just thought I would share that with ya! :flower:

Vik,
I am sorry you had to deal with such ignorance on what was such a great night for you. I really sometimes am so ignorant that in the past I would think nothing of reaching out and taking my (now ex) gf's hand while walking in the street.. I would think.. that kind of stuff won't happen... noone will think anything of it... it takes events like this to unfortunately bring reality crashing down around us....

Happy to see however, that it hasn't taken the "spunk" or "joyfullness" out of you...

Keep us updated!

Kathy :wave:

Valentine said:
Perhaps we should plan our own DIS-Gay Days!! LOL! seems we have a nice crowd forming here!

I have been meaning to mention 'Joenjett1976' ... every time I see that pic in your siggie.. I stop and just say "wow.. those are 2 beautiful women.. and that is a fabulous picture!!" Just thought I would share that with ya! :flower:

:earboy2:
ha! thanks kathy! i must say in my defense it is not our best pic! we had spent four chilly rainy days in DL :umbrella:
and were exhausted by the time the photo was taken! we looked much more fabulous and rested on the following week's pictures in sunny Los Angeles!

joanjett1976 said:
Valentine said:

Oooh! Oooh! Count us in!
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Our own Disboards lesbiad/gay gathering! We could probably even get a TA to book us a great set of rooms and set up some social gatherings! (As you can see, I'm a sucker for big concepts!).

Thank you, Kathy for the support. I definitely feel better today. :grouphug:

Viki said:
Our own Disboards lesbiad/gay gathering! We could probably even get a TA to book us a great set of rooms and set up some social gatherings! (As you can see, I'm a sucker for big concepts!).

I am liking the sound of this!
I am already juggling three trips this year. But this girl likes a party! Plus I am squeezing all the juice out of my annual pass

We are set for May 2-12 Pop Century, I have a quickie solo trip to DL Paris Oct 21-24 and now we are contemplating a Jan 1-4 jaunt at WDW to soften the blow of me turning the big 3-0 on January 2.
:rolleyes:

Ooooh.. that Jan 1 - 4 is sounding possible.. I am supposed to be doing the marathon this year.. well the 1/2.. and I would love to be there for nye again... sooooo possible.. very possible..

YOu have to let us know what you think about DL Paris.. how exciting!!!

Kathy

Viki said:
Our own Disboards lesbiad/gay gathering! We could probably even get a TA to book us a great set of rooms and set up some social gatherings! (As you can see, I'm a sucker for big concepts!)

I'm a straight girl, but that sounds like so much fun, especially for PI purposes! A girl can never have too many gay friends!

Valentine said:
Ooooh.. that Jan 1 - 4 is sounding possible.. I am supposed to be doing the marathon this year.. well the 1/2.. and I would love to be there for nye again... sooooo possible.. very possible..

YOu have to let us know what you think about DL Paris.. how exciting!!!

Kathy

Will do! I feel excited but very unprepared. I have a very small window to visit + there aren't that many ressources out there to help with planning.

Is that your tough guy in your sig?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter