Flickr

Sounds like a resolution issue... Are you sure you are downloading a full size image?

Keep in mind that sites like Flickr, ones that are meant for sharing a hosting, tend to optimize the images when you upload to help improve download times and bandwidth usage on their servers. It's not really a great idea to use them to populate your image library because of this. Yet another reason I host my images on smugmug.

Does sound like a resolution issue. Make sure you're downloading the largest size and that you are viewing at that same size after you download.

Yes, I am sure it is a download/resolution issue.

I will have to work on looking at it and see if I can figure it out. I admit I am a bit techno challenged so I may have to have a friend show me, but I will look into it.

So, SmugMug is a better choice for storing? Actually, maybe iphoto serves that same purpose but I had hoped that Flickr would be a good storage place for any computer crash issues.

Shoot.

Dawn

I DO have a Flickr PRO account!

I thought this would be an easier way to get my photos from my PC to my Mac, I guess not.

Dawn

I DO have a Flickr PRO account!

I thought this would be an easier way to get my photos from my PC to my Mac, I guess not.

Dawn

Do you have a network? Have both computers connected to the network and you can share files between them. Even a PC and a Mac. Or if it's not too much data use a flash drive.

One is connected with a wire and one is connected wirelessly. Will that work? How do I do it?

Thanks,

Dawn

Do you have a network? Have both computers connected to the network and you can share files between them. Even a PC and a Mac. Or if it's not too much data use a flash drive.

Wow, I love your "human element" pics! I like the commentary in the blog also. The "Best Seat in the House" one is particularly poignant.

I just upgraded to Flickr Pro since I'm taking lots more pics now but it takes forever to upload. Should I reduce the size of my photos to speed up the process or just grin & bear it to preserve the quality? I don't really have another backup but maybe that is something else I should consider??

So you're using Flickr as a source to backup your pictures???? How many photos do you upload at one time??? If you're uploading a lot of full size photos; there might not be much else you can do. And I wouldn't recommend just backing up the smaller versions.

I'd suggest getting a backup hard drive or two; and maybe keep one or both in a fireproof safe (that's what I do at least). And if you happen to shoot in RAW, it'll definitely be better to have those RAW files on a hard drive, since you can't upload those to Flickr.

So you're using Flickr as a source to backup your pictures???? How many photos do you upload at one time??? If you're uploading a lot of full size photos; there might not be much else you can do. And I wouldn't recommend just backing up the smaller versions.

I'd suggest getting a backup hard drive or two; and maybe keep one or both in a fireproof safe (that's what I do at least). And if you happen to shoot in RAW, it'll definitely be better to have those RAW files on a hard drive, since you can't upload those to Flickr.

Thanks. I guess it is time for a better back up plan.

I was trying to upload almost 200 pics from a concert so I could share them with DD's friends who went with us, figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. (This little photography hobby is becoming more time consuming than I planned on) I guess I shoud stick with Snapfish for that.

BTW, I really admire your work, it's amazing.

I use multiple forms of backups. Hard drives, flash drives, dvd's, online... I've got stuff stashed all over the place becasue you can never have too many. There is no fail proof backup.

And if you do want to backup RAW files online, check out Smugmug. It's also really easy to batch upload with them.

Another thing to maybe do would be to just upload some of the better pictures to share. And I could be totally wrong with what I'm about to say; but I would think that quite a few of those pictures look kind of the same (at least if I had 200 pics from a single event, I know they would). So at least those better versions would be safe and sound, and much easier to upload (and easier to look through too).

And thanks for the compliment!!!!! :thumbsup2

Another thing to maybe do would be to just upload some of the better pictures to share. And I could be totally wrong with what I'm about to say; but I would think that quite a few of those pictures look kind of the same (at least if I had 200 pics from a single event, I know they would). So at least those better versions would be safe and sound, and much easier to upload (and easier to look through too).

And thanks for the compliment!!!!! :thumbsup2

Isn't that the key to an awesome portfolio? Display only your best 15-20 pictures of an event, and WOW your viewers!

And don't display 15 of the exact same poses. They have to be 15-20 completely different photos.

Let's say that, like you, I took 200 photos of an event. First of all, no one's going to have the attention span to flip through all 200 of my photos. I've got to reduce this number to something that fits my viewers' attention span.

I can quickly delete maybe 25 for various reasons (ex. camera didn't focus, someone blocked my shot, the lights went out, pictures of my feet, etc.).

Of the 175 photos left, let's say that 75 were duplicates (ex. do I really need that many photos of the dog with his tongue hanging out?). Don't need to show those photos. Either delete them or save them "just in case" you ever need them in the future.

Of the 100 photos left, even though the exposures were technically correct, let's say that 50 of the photos just don't seem to GRAB my attention, for various reasons.

Now you're left with 50 pretty good shots. Of those 50 "pretty good" shots, I must have maybe 10-20 that are WOW shots. Those are the ones you should proudly display in your Flickr account, and just stop there. Now, everyone will think you're a fantastic photographer based on those handful of WOW shots!

That's the key to making your photos & your portfolio stand out! :)

btw: SrisonS, I, too, really like your photos in your Flickr account. :thumbsup2

Isn't that the key to an awesome portfolio? Display only your best 15-20 pictures of an event, and WOW your viewers!

And don't display 15 of the exact same poses. They have to be 15-20 completely different photos.

Let's say that, like you, I took 200 photos of an event. First of all, no one's going to have the attention span to flip through all 200 of my photos. I've got to reduce this number to something that fits my viewers' attention span.

I can quickly delete maybe 25 for various reasons (ex. camera didn't focus, someone blocked my shot, the lights went out, pictures of my feet, etc.).

Of the 175 photos left, let's say that 75 were duplicates (ex. do I really need that many photos of the dog with his tongue hanging out?). Don't need to show those photos. Either delete them or save them "just in case" you ever need them in the future.

Of the 100 photos left, even though the exposures were technically correct, let's say that 50 of the photos just don't seem to GRAB my attention, for various reasons.

Now you're left with 50 pretty good shots. Of those 50 "pretty good" shots, I must have maybe 10-20 that are WOW shots. Those are the ones you should proudly display in your Flickr account, and just stop there. Now, everyone will think you're a fantastic photographer based on those handful of WOW shots!

That's the key to making your photos & your portfolio stand out! :)

btw: SrisonS, I, too, really like your photos in your Flickr account. :thumbsup2

PERFECT explanation of the cutting room process. I remember taking about 150 pictures during the Jonas Brothers' Disney Christmas parade taping..... don't laugh :lovestruc (I didn't even realize I took that many, until now :scared1: ). I still have 72 of those; yet only 7 have made it to my Flickr stream. Like I said, quite a few similar looking shots.

..... and Thank You too!!!!

Thanks for this thread.

I have found some real limitations with Flickr. I tried to move my PC photos to Flickr and then download them from there to iphoto on my new Mac......they downloaded into iphoto in a much lower resolution and look horrible. No idea why.

I tried to copy them from PC to a cd and then load them into the mac but they don't read from the Mac very easily and only some of the photos are even useable.

At least I do have them on CD though and I need to get an external hard drive and load the newer photos onto a CD or DVD to save as well.

I am now using Flickr to share until my subscription runs out, but I think Picasa will be a better fit for me as they seem to upload from the PC and download to iphoto in full quality.

But then again, I may be doing something wrong....

Dawn

You guys are talking about cutting for a portfolio, but the original poster is talking about sharing images with a friend. Two very different things.

I may have 1000 shots from my daughter's dance concert (I generally shoot about 3000, it's 4 hours long) to share with the other parents... that's in focus, well exposed, decently framed shots. But of those 1000 keepers I share with friends, other parents and family only one or two of those will make it into my portfolio. If it were a smaller event with repetitious action the number i share would obviously be smaller but it doesn't change the fact that I would share images with freinds that would never make it into my porfolio.

You guys are talking about cutting for a portfolio, but the original poster is talking about sharing images with a friend. Two very different things.

Well... not totally (I wouldn't even really call my photostream a 'Portfolio'....especially when people can add Notes and make all types of fun comments. I'll leave that phrase for the Pros). When someone does share pictures from an event, like Disneyboy said, most viewers (even the friends that were there) aren't gonna wanna look at all 200 pictures; especially when some are just slight variants of each other (but like I said, maybe all 200 are totally unique :confused3 ). So no, they don't really have to just use like 10 of the 200; but maybe cut it to like 50. Make it more viewer friendly. Let the fewer pictures spawn great memories... not have the masses try to mimic them. I've seen many Flickr photostreams where people upload loads of pics at one time, with many being VERY similar.... it's not fun to look through. We're not trying to lay down rules, just explaining our personal thought process. :thumbsup2

Yesterday I tried and tried to share a photo on the forums from my Flickr account.

I could not do it.

What exactly is the part of the HTML that I am meant to copy and paste?

Thank you,

Dawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter