Flickr

Some businessman in Israel stole one of my photos and used it in a powerpoint presentation about how people in the US are easily amused. He also used a lot of other photos that were taken from Flickr. He listed our flickr addresses at the end of the presentation, but he never contacted any of us for permission. I contacted all of the other people, and only 1 was looking for money. I was just glad he deleted the file (obviously he is probably still using it) but I felt really violated and was mad because of the context in which it was used, especially since it was a self portrait! :mad:

Some businessman in Israel stole one of my photos and used it in a powerpoint presentation about how people in the US are easily amused. He also used a lot of other photos that were taken from Flickr. He listed our flickr addresses at the end of the presentation, but he never contacted any of us for permission. I contacted all of the other people, and only 1 was looking for money. I was just glad he deleted the file (obviously he is probably still using it) but I felt really violated and was mad because of the context in which it was used, especially since it was a self portrait! :mad:

WOW!!!! That is definitely not cool. Deep down, in a mean way, sort of funny... but definitely not cool. please don't be offended :hug:

It has been known for quite some time that flickr is really not a good place to host your photos because their privacy and security is pretty much non existent. I have read many many many stories about people having photos being "stolen" from their account and used in advertising or for other means. I don't recall the name of the software, but there is one out there that business can purchase to make searching for images on flickr much easier. This software is (at least when I first read about it well over a year ago) something that flickr knows about and hasn't done anything about. Maybe they have changed over the last year, but I haven't heard anything.

I have heard of Virgin Mobile, the Cleveland Post Dispatch, and Toyota taking people's photos to use for advertising and not contacting the photographer.

This article about using Flickr photos to decorate your home was in the NYTimes last year. (the NYTimes did have to post another article about legal issues to cover their *** though).

This is an older article that I came across about a year and a half ago. http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog/2008/07/07/how-every-flickr-photo-ended-up-on-sale-this-weekend/

Considering I'm still hearing stories of people stealing images off flickr, its obvious that things over at flickr have not changed.

Now with pretty much every photo hosting site you can have people "steal" your photos, but try doing a google search for stealing flickr photos and see what kind of results you get, then do the same for zenfolio and smugmug. HUGE difference. I have removed all my photos on flickr.

I think I read the following on either a Sports or Wedding photography forum. The photographer was visiting someone's house they knew and with whom they had done business. The owner of the house had one of the photographers photographs printed on 4x6 paper and mounted in a frame in the living room...

The photo had the Watermark in big letters across the image.

The person who stole the image did not care. :confused3

Later,
Dan

Good news folks! The user sent me a message back telling me he just took down the photo and didn't know it was mine. He told me a friend from Brazil sent it to him so he thought it was his. Looks like it turned out well, but I will be keeping an eye on what gets posted on the web from now on.

did you ask for the email address of the friend in brazil

I've heard about this problem about Flickr for quite awhile now. I always recommend all my photog friends to avoid using Flickr like the plague if they wish to retain the rights to their pictures.

This also includes well-meaning parents who have pictures of their children on Flickr for family and friends to view. Don't do it! Find a photo host that offers password protection as well as one who will honor their copyright agreements. Flickr's past and present actions is hardly a safe place to store photos.

I'm glad the person took the photo off his/her site. I'd recommend pulling all your photos off Flickr and moving them somewhere else because this won't the first time it will happen. For all you know, some of your pictures might even be floating around on someone's cell phone by now.

Dizzy

It has been known for quite some time that flickr is really not a good place to host your photos because their privacy and security is pretty much non existent. I have read many many many stories about people having photos being "stolen" from their account and used in advertising or for other means. I don't recall the name of the software, but there is one out there that business can purchase to make searching for images on flickr much easier. This software is (at least when I first read about it well over a year ago) something that flickr knows about and hasn't done anything about. Maybe they have changed over the last year, but I haven't heard anything.

I have heard of Virgin Mobile, the Cleveland Post Dispatch, and Toyota taking people's photos to use for advertising and not contacting the photographer.

This article about using Flickr photos to decorate your home was in the NYTimes last year. (the NYTimes did have to post another article about legal issues to cover their *** though).

This is an older article that I came across about a year and a half ago. http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog/2008/07/07/how-every-flickr-photo-ended-up-on-sale-this-weekend/

Considering I'm still hearing stories of people stealing images off flickr, its obvious that things over at flickr have not changed.

Now with pretty much every photo hosting site you can have people "steal" your photos, but try doing a google search for stealing flickr photos and see what kind of results you get, then do the same for zenfolio and smugmug. HUGE difference. I have removed all my photos on flickr.

Hate to say it ... but the odds are not in the photographer's favor. Places like Twitter, Facebook, blogspot, and Myspace all have some very interesting TOS. Facebook tried to change the TOS to take copyright of all images uploaded to the service last year. Users protested and they changed it, but you still give up some rights when you upload. And Twitter's TOS is not a photographer's freind.

I agree whole heartedly!!! I save other peoples photos all the time, but i would NEVER upload them on some other site as my own. I use all the photos that I save as a screensaver on my computer :)

I do the same but use them only as background on my desktop. I've never nor plan to upload them or send them to someone else.

Whoa.. I missed a post somewhere.

In many cases simply saving someones image to your computer (I'm not talking about the temp files your browser makes, that is different, but knowingly saving a file) for your own personal use is a violation of copyright law.

There are exceptions... Creative commons licenses, public domain images, when the creator has granted express written permission (like "here's a desktop, enjoy") But more than likely you are infringing on someones rights. And while fair use is out there, fair use does not mean that if you don't make money then you can use it. And the terms of service on some sites, while granting more rights to the host, do not usually grant any additional rights to the user to knowingly save content.

That said, this is where my rule to never upload anything you don't want stolen is handy. Because a lot of times people lift images and don't even realize that copyright law comes into play. And really, my ego likes to think that someone is using my image as thier desktop.

Whoa.. I missed a post somewhere.

In many cases simply saving someones image to your computer (I'm not talking about the temp files your browser makes, that is different, but knowingly saving a file) for your own personal use is a violation of copyright law.

+1

And I always think it's funny on another photography forum I visit where a poster will complain about copyright infringement and it's obvious they lifted their avatar photo from someone else on the web. :confused3

+1

And I always think it's funny on another photography forum I visit where a poster will complain about copyright infringement and it's obvious they lifted their avatar photo from someone else on the web. :confused3

I've seen the same type of thing on fanart forums. People gripe about thier work being lifted (desktops and stuff) when thier work is comprised of lifted images to begin with.

I'm not sure that this is true.

I'm not a lawyer, but after reading the text of the law:

Subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

(1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords;

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

(4) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works, to perform the copyrighted work publicly;

(5) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work, to display the copyrighted work publicly; and

And

“Copies” are material objects, other than phonorecords, in which a work is fixed by any method now known or later developed, and from which the work can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. The term “copies” includes the material object, other than a phonorecord, in which the work is first fixed.

So other than phonorecords (which I assume would include anything audio) a copy is defined to be an object - i.e. a Photographic 'copy' is only when you print it in some fashion - not when you 'copy' it to your hard drive.

Further it would seem that as long as you are not displaying an image 'publicly' it is not violating the copyright holder's rights.

To perform or display a work “publicly” means —

(1) to perform or display it at a place open to the public or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered;

Any lawyers out there that would like to educate us about such things?

I would argue that once it was placed on Flickr with no copyright claims by the original owner (Admittedly, I haven't read the entire thread.), it becomes what is considered property "of the ages" and is thus in the imminent public domain at that instant and cannot be rescended once it's "out there".

I never post anything to public sites but that's just me being safe and safeguarding my own property.

Just curious..... What is everyone's main hesitation for using Flickr??? Is it the fact that your pictures would be used in a negative manner; or that someone else might be making money off your work; or that you might be losing money, when it's out there 'for free'; etc....????

I think that a lot of Flickr uses just like to share their work with the world. There are some absolutely amazing photos on there that one would think could easily make money. But in a lot of cases, the user will even post full size versions, where anyone could easily download them (with no trickery needed). And I'm sure they know their work can be 'stolen'; but honestly, many don't care.

I for one think it's pretty flattering that someone wants to use my pics for whatever. I'm just waiting for the day when I walk into a random room and see one of my pictures on someone's desktop.

And if you're being safe becuase you think you're losing money; I'm just curious to how many offers you actually get; even by totally safeguarding your work????

Just curious..... What is everyone's main hesitation for using Flickr??? Is it the fact that your pictures would be used in a negative manner; or that someone else might be making money off your work; or that you might be losing money, when it's out there 'for free'; etc....????

I think that a lot of Flickr uses just like to share their work with the world. There are some absolutely amazing photos on there that one would think could easily make money. But in a lot of cases, the user will even post full size versions, where anyone could easily download them (with no trickery needed). And I'm sure they know their work can be 'stolen'; but honestly, many don't care.

I for one think it's pretty flattering that someone wants to use my pics for whatever. I'm just waiting for the day when I walk into a random room and see one of my pictures on someone's desktop.

And if you're being safe becuase you think you're losing money; I'm just curious to how many offers you actually get; even by totally safeguarding your work????

My thoughts are exactly the same as yours, and I was going to post something along these lines when there was (what I'd call) fear-mongering concerning the use of Flickr, but I forgot to do so.

For me, as a non-commercial photographer who simply wants to improve, all of the negatives about Flickr don't come anywhere close to the positives. It's the number one photo hosting site in the world and the number one photographic community. If feedback and constructive criticism are what you seek, I don't know of any better place to go. I know I have improved by sharing my pictures here and reading what you all have to say, but quite honestly, I've learned a heck of a lot more on Flickr (no dig at forums, I just learn better by seeing images and viewing EXIF data. Talk is fun here, but doesn't 'do' as much for me).

I understand that many people don't feel that way; they are concerned about people stealing their images. I know people download my images, get them printed, etc., I don't really care. As long as they're making people happy, I'm accomplishing my "mission" with my photography. My objective is not to profit (that's not to say if someone approached me with a bag of cash for the rights to one of my images, I'd turn them away!).

When I copy photos from Flickr to iphoto on my new mac the photos are blurry!

When I copy the other way (iphoto to Flickr), they come out great.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Dawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter