• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Epcot to get major transformations

I kind of figured but do they always clear land for food and wine it seemed they removed some trees and such in that area.

The permits I am seeing this year are not typical of previous F&W, I looks like they are putting in more permanent infrastructure for the kiosks. Of course I made my initial statement before the permit surfaced this afternoon for major backstage work right behind that area, so this may be as Martin suggested, thickening up the landscaping to hide that work.

In my opinion not only the rides need an update but also the entire dining experience outside food and wine festival. I really hope for an Epcot version of "Be our guest" or something like that.
Iluminations really need an update too, maybe changing it for a better version of Rivers of Light.

I really hope they don't replace Illuminations with the same IP projection type show that is in every other park. All the Disney music/scene mashups get old. Illuminations is also one my favorite firework shows I've ever seen, and it isn't nostalgia, I saw it the first time in 2011 when I was 27.

I think I audibly growled when I read that in the linked article. I concur about the quality of Illuminations. It's my gold standard for fireworks.

I will gladly accept an upgrade. I'd even accept a brand new show...provided it doesn't revolve around characters. I think the whole "We are the World" vibe that inhabits World Showcase is important. I think that message would get diluted if it involves anthropomorphism.

Hopefully the fact that Epcot hosts many corporate events in the evening will help keep whatever comes next character-less.

That article has made me thankful I have been able to plan a trip for just after Labour Day so I can see some original Epcot for everything starts later in the year and next year. Also means I am going to have to work in Chefs de France at some point in the near future so I can say I ate there.

I just wish Canada would get some love on a biased level. Would love to see a canoe/white water type attraction back there.

The Original Epcot has been dead for sometime now. You'd have to find a Delorean or a Doctor Who phonebooth to see the real classic Epcot.

The Original Epcot has been dead for sometime now. You'd have to find a Delorean or a Doctor Who phonebooth to see the real classic Epcot.
But doesn't mean you have to load it with IP. I personally don't know how I feel about some of these rumors (really not about guardians in Epcot to be honest) but they can still make rides without an IP tie in. That's what frustrates me about upper management they've got the originality of a 2x4

But doesn't mean you have to load it with IP. I personally don't know how I feel about some of these rumors (really not about guardians in Epcot to be honest) but they can still make rides without an IP tie in. That's what frustrates me about upper management they've got the originality of a 2x4

Yeah definitely not, but I think you can have both, if done right.

Currently Epcot looks abandoned and awful rides like "Ellen's Energy" have been left for way too long. It wasn't a good ride when it opened back in 1996. But, much like the current "Innoventions" Disney made their mess and didn't want to clean it up.

Yeah definitely not, but I think you can have both, if done right.

Currently Epcot looks abandoned and awful rides like "Ellen's Energy" have been left for way too long. It wasn't a good ride when it opened back in 1996. But, much like the current "Innoventions" Disney made their mess and didn't want to clean it up.
I'd like some sort of a balance; I don't mind some mix of IPs (rat would probably be a nice addition, although I don't think they need to replace the restaurants) but I'm sure imagineering has enough creative juices to spruce up future world without making it Pixar/guardians land

I'd like some sort of a balance; I don't mind some mix of IPs (rat would probably be a nice addition, although I don't think they need to replace the restaurants) but I'm sure imagineering has enough creative juices to spruce up future world without making it Pixar/guardians land

Yeah, I don't want "Guardians" to come to Epcot either, it just doesn't feel right. You figure Disney could come up with something that fits better with the parks theme.

The only way it makes sense is if they change the name of the section it's in. If the left side of the park was called Galaxyland or Spaceland, then it would make more sense.

Last edited:
okay alot has happened in Epcot.

First Permits for Rat in France are filed - per Martin and others at WDWMagic.com - to open Summer of 2020.
UoE - GotG - to open 2021 along with UK ride.
Innoventions update by 2020
RoE to be updated in 2 years so 2019ish.

So by 2021 we will have quite a lot of change in EPCOT

I think this is great news.
They can stick characters all over Epcot
Fine with me

Even overlays would be better than a lot of the stuff that is there now

I know there is a lot of Epcot nostalgia but that's not coming back. Might as well make the park fun

I think this is great news.
They can stick characters all over Epcot
Fine with me

Even overlays would be better than a lot of the stuff that is there now

I know there is a lot of Epcot nostalgia but that's not coming back. Might as well make the park fun

Cheap magic kingdom rip offs are "fun", huh?

Are you wearing your mouse ears at home as we speak? Are ya?

...I'm not "anti IP" in Epcot...I for one like the nemo overlay and the gran fiesta tour...

...but both of those were thematically acceptable...

Ratatouille in the French pavilion? Fine if tasteful...

Guardians of the galaxy? No. For one...it's guardians of the galaxy...which is as popcorn now as transformers...not what you build rides around.

And I'm sorry...if they do an inside out in imagination and leave the figment carcass...while they shuttered a whole pavilion that basically WAS inside out...that's gonna tick me the heck off...as it should.

...I'm not "anti IP" in Epcot...I for one like the nemo overlay and the gran fiesta tour...

Guardians of the galaxy? No. For one...it's guardians of the galaxy...which is as popcorn now as transformers...not what you build rides around.

And I'm sorry...if they do an inside out in imagination and leave the figment carcass...while they shuttered a whole pavilion that basically WAS inside out...that's gonna tick me the heck off...as it should.
As much as I can disagree with you at times, you're so spot on with your Epcot insight here

1000000000000% AGREE! Like, I don't get it! Have you seen the Urban Explorer video of Cranium Command? It's all still there! Granted, it needs major work after being left to decay, but it's a better start than gutting Figment! I'd love to see Imagination back to it's former glory, but doubtful that it's going to happen.

Wearing my Mickey ears at home? Low blow!

I fully admit I never knew Epcot in the glory days. But let's be real...it's not coming back

So whatever it is now (a half closed mall?)...any additions would be welcome at this point

Most people I know and including myself, when we go to Epcot, we'll do spaceship earth, test track and soarin but then move onto world showcase and I doubt I am alone in maybe having the same experience.

The future world reworking will be pretty drastic and with it being the front of Epcot, is probably going to effect crowd flows more than the expeansions at Hollywood Studios.

Wearing my Mickey ears at home? Low blow!

I fully admit I never knew Epcot in the glory days. But let's be real...it's not coming back

So whatever it is now (a half closed mall?)...any additions would be welcome at this point

Because replicating the magic kingdom 4 times doesn't make sense in the long run...things come and go...

It might shock you to know that princess have NOT always been en vogue...nor will they always be. Same for disney cartoons...the whole point of the wdw complex was to offer things to insulate the business...and the more they pigeon hole everything into low attention span and frivolous retail prices...the worse the future will get in the long run.

I won't live forever (but sadly for all you...I got a ways to go ;) )...but I want the place to be there for others past me. If you want "magic"...then that's it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter