• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do You Write Many Checks Anymore?

I don’t have a cheque book, and most stores here no longer accept cheques. You have to specifically order a chequebook if you want one, but the only person I know who still uses one is my 89 year old grandmother. I’m surprised that people accept them, but I guess someone does.

I was surprised that they weren't set up for e-checks or electronic transfer but WOULD take a personal check.

We just set up my 17 year old daughter with a checking account through chase and the banker printed her off a sheet of 4 checks and said they didn’t expect her to go through those but could print off more if needed. Seems like a much better way to handle checks than printing off a book.

Kind of OT but my dad just bought a new car and the dealership sent him a payment booklet. I hadn’t seen those in years and we were all really surprised when it came in the mail.

Yesterday I discovered that the salon my hairdresser moved to only takes cash or checks. They aren't set up for credit cards or debit cards. It's run by an older couple.

Luckily I had several blank checks on me so I could pay without having to run to the bank for cash. I told my hairdresser she should get one of those square things for her phone just in case but she doesn't want to deal with it.
I hope it doesn't mean she'll lose clients - I figure I'll just be writing another check every month and a half now.

For the car we bought my daughter late last year, we were buying it outright and they required a check. Either certified or personal. We'd planned on paying for it with a combo of credit card to get the points (we'd pay for the most we could since I know some places have limits) and then cash. This was another instance when I was glad I carry a few blank checks on me because I was able to pull one out and use it.

I write checks for about 4 bills per month. 3 other bills I pay online. I tend to keep better track of the paper bills with paper checks because due to my type of employment I get about a billion emails a day, and if I look at the bill email first thing before I start working I have a higher chance of forgetting about it. It's harder for me to forget bills that are physically sitting on my desk.

Even though this is a zombie thread, and I think I probably had already written a response to it, months ago, I’ll respond again.

Yes I still use checks for most of the bills I pay each month. DH pays for the bills he takes of, online. I used to also write checks for weekly groceries, but stopped doing that, and now use credit cards.

Even though this is a zombie thread, and I think I probably had already written a response to it, months ago, I’ll respond again.

Yes I still use checks for most of the bills I pay each month. DH pays for the bills he takes of, online. I used to also write checks for weekly groceries, but stopped doing that, and now use credit cards.
LOL. It's less than 6 months old. To me Zombie threads have to be years old.

Yesterday I discovered that the salon my hairdresser moved to only takes cash or checks. They aren't set up for credit cards or debit cards. It's run by an older couple.

Luckily I had several blank checks on me so I could pay without having to run to the bank for cash. I told my hairdresser she should get one of those square things for her phone just in case but she doesn't want to deal with it.
I hope it doesn't mean she'll lose clients - I figure I'll just be writing another check every month and a half now.
It has been my experience that businesses that take cash and check only actually do it so they don't get more customers than they can handle with the quality of service/produce they want to provide.
Sort of like Disney, raise prices to thin the crowds a bit, the folks who do come end up spending more than the lost admissions.

Interesting question. I don't any more. I vaguely remember signing my name as "Richard Branson" in a Virgin Megastore to see if I could get away with it. Spoiler alert: I did :yo-yo:

For the last 10-15 years the only checks I wrote were for things related to school. Lately though I've been writing more. My kids have debit cards in a different bank. If I transfer from my bank it takes 3-4 business days. If I write a check and do a mobile deposit it's in their account the next day.

For the last 10-15 years the only checks I wrote were for things related to school. Lately though I've been writing more. My kids have debit cards in a different bank. If I transfer from my bank it takes 3-4 business days. If I write a check and do a mobile deposit it's in their account the next day.

Can't you do an etransfer?

Twenty five years ago I wrote, on average, over 150 checks a month, household and business. In the past year, I have averaged one check per month and that is because the place that I am paying charges for me to use electronic payment. Their loss, I won't pay them to have access to my bank account, so, they still get a paper check which costs them time to process it. Some places are just stupid. I would have to be incredible lucky to use up the box of checks that I bought 3 years ago. I think they will outlast me.

I would change hair salons for sure if they only took cash- I can't be bothered to make sure I had cash or a check with me- I carry a debit and credit card and shop where they take those, no where else.

Checks are automatically deposited which makes for easy living and budgeting. Writing checks is maybe 4-5 a year.
I basically charge everything and then easily transfer payments..no interest, no fees and loads of free cash monthly ...
Checks basically obsolete.

For the car we bought my daughter late last year, we were buying it outright and they required a check. Either certified or personal. We'd planned on paying for it with a combo of credit card to get the points (we'd pay for the most we could since I know some places have limits) and then cash. This was another instance when I was glad I carry a few blank checks on me because I was able to pull one out and use it.
My sister is a hairdresser and only takes cash or checks. It works for her now because the bulk of her clientele are little old ladies who only write checks or pay in cash. It’s eventually going to backfire on her because unfortunately those little old ladies are getting too frail or are passing. The younger crowd is not going to have the patience to stop for cash or write a check. Heck, I don’t think my DD or her friends have ever written a check. We’ve tried to convince her to get a Square Reader or use Venmo but she’s not having it. Sooner or later she’s going to have to come into this century though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter