Do You Write Many Checks Anymore?

Same here.
My mechanic is cash or check only, so all oil changes and repairs are paid by check.
Schwans guy would take credit cards, but I write a check, same with the pest control guy.
My Life Insurance and Long Term Care insurance don't take credit cards, so checks there.
Property taxes due next month, they charge $5 for an e-check and $27.50 if you pay by credit card, so check there since it is free.
Girl scout cookies, etc, usually are check.

Yes. Some of my utility companies charge a service fee to pay online, and it costs more than the price of a stamp, so I'll just write a check. I also write checks for payments I send into the boys' school so that I have receipts.

same here, very few. Water bill has to be paid by check or in person. Pretty much everything else I can pay online, none of the sites I need charge a fee for paying online.

We just discussed this like a month ago.

Nope. Maybe once a year. If that. Difference in USA and Canadian banking system. Cheques are almost obsolete here. E-transfers are big now.
Stores like Walmart and big grocery chains haven't accepted cheques up here in years.

I'm old school; almost everything is paid by check. DH gets paid on the last day of the month, so that's when I sit down and pay the bills. Most everything is due mid-month, set up that way intentionally, so everything goes in the mail (indoors at the PO) on the first of the month. I just am not comfortable putting my bank account information out there on the internet. Credit cards will cover me if there're fraudulent charges, but if a hacker can get into my bank account, my money's gone.

I like being "in touch" with our finances. As we charge almost everything and pay it off in full monthly, it's helpful to me to know what's in my accounts at any given time. That way I know if we can afford things. To have bills automatically paid and have the money "leave" the account magically doesn't work for me. How much is going out? Will I have enough to cover the next bill? I have a couple of friends who NEVER know what they have in the bank; everything is auto-paid. Interestingly, they are also my friends who often bounce checks and carry credit card debt. IMO they have distanced themselves from their resources, never really know what they have, never really know what they can afford- OR NOT. This just wouldn't work for me!

I'm old school; almost everything is paid by check. DH gets paid on the last day of the month, so that's when I sit down and pay the bills. Most everything is due mid-month, set up that way intentionally, so everything goes in the mail (indoors at the PO) on the first of the month. I just am not comfortable putting my bank account information out there on the internet. Credit cards will cover me if there're fraudulent charges, but if a hacker can get into my bank account, my money's gone.

I like being "in touch" with our finances. As we charge almost everything and pay it off in full monthly, it's helpful to me to know what's in my accounts at any given time. That way I know if we can afford things. To have bills automatically paid and have the money "leave" the account magically doesn't work for me. How much is going out? Will I have enough to cover the next bill? I have a couple of friends who NEVER know what they have in the bank; everything is auto-paid. Interestingly, they are also my friends who often bounce checks and carry credit card debt. IMO they have distanced themselves from their resources, never really know what they have, never really know what they can afford- OR NOT. This just wouldn't work for me!
My dad used to say this about the bank account vs credit cards, but that has not been my experience with bigger banks like Chase. I have had to dispute claims several times for rather large amounts of $ & Chase always credited my account immediately while they researched it. They have never denied me return funds after investigation of fraudulent claims.

Seems dangerous to write a check at a store. Someone just needs to take a picture of your check and then can order a box with your account number.

Don't even think this is possible in Canada. So many places don't take cheques anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter