• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do You Write Many Checks Anymore?

I do not write checks. In fact, my checks are still sealed up in the plastic they came in :rotfl2: (they were free anyway)

Once a month for my car payment. Every so often to a friend I owed money if they don't have venmo.

I pay church donations and medical bills (HSA) with checks. Everything else is online. Although I have to pay the library with a check for a book I wrecked on Monday.

In the spring and summer I have to write 2 per month - one to lawn, one to mosquito sprays. Both will most likely not be happening next year unless my husband finds a new full time job. We'll just have to take care of the lawn ourselves and deal with mosquitos when I'm outside and gardening.

I also have to write a check once a quarter to the exterminator. But that's pretty much it other than the occasional strange thing that happens like the one time the place where my hairdresser worked had a problem with their credit card machine so luckily I had a check on me and I paid that way.
Which reminds me that I need to put another check in my wallet just in case I need one again.

Once a month for my car payment. Every so often to a friend I owed money if they don't have venmo.

I'm shocked that a car dealership takes cheques. Never heard of such a thing. When I bought my first car back in like 1991 it was debit from your account even then.

Never , don’t even have one cheque in the house ..
Bills are withdrawn automatically and occasionally I E-Transfer funds or pay online.
Thing of the past for me.

I'm shocked that a car dealership takes cheques. Never heard of such a thing. When I bought my first car back in like 1991 it was debit from your account even then.
I’ve written a check for every down payment I’ve made.

Can't even get cheques here as far as I can tell (Switzerland).

For rent, most people do direct bank transfer (my lease includes the SWIFT/IBAN details for my landlord). For other expenses that cannot be paid on line/credit card/transfer, they have "multimat" ATMS which have a little scanner. You scan the invoice (they are all a standard format), the machine reads the amount due and you transfer from your bank account. You can also take it to the Post Office and pay with cash (the Post Office here actually has banking/credit facilities, but you can pay there even if you don't bank there). I moved here recently and when I got my first invoice in the mail I had no idea what to do with it - a colleague had to walk me through it.

I’ve written a check for every down payment I’ve made.

Why? I don't get it.
Doubt that has been an option up here for a good 20 years.
Everytime this subject comes up I'm shocked at how behind the US banking system is compared to other countries.

Out of curiosity - Walmart Canada doesn't accept personal cheques. Does Walmart in the US?

Good read here on the use of cheques worldwide. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-26/why-can-t-americans-give-up-paper-checks

Very cool how a few countries have totally eliminated cheques. I can see Canada getting there is the next decade.

Last edited:
Why? I don't get it.
Doubt that has been an option up here for a good 20 years.
Everytime this subject comes up I'm shocked at how behind the US banking system is compared to other countries.

Out of curiosity - Walmart Canada doesn't accept personal cheques. Does Walmart in the US?

Good read here on the use of cheques worldwide. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-26/why-can-t-americans-give-up-paper-checks

Very cool how a few countries have totally eliminated cheques. I can see Canada getting there is the next decade.
A lot of banks put limits on how much can come off your debit card at one time and if there isn’t a limit a large sum like a down payment will get denied, flagged and shut down.

eta: yes, Walmart and most stores do take checks. They run them through a machine that works a lot like a debit and then hand them back to you.

A lot of banks put limits on how much can come off your debit card at one time and if there isn’t a limit a large sum like a down payment will get denied, flagged and shut down.

eta: yes, Walmart and most stores do take checks. They run them through a machine that works a lot like a debit and then hand them back to you.

Like a down payment for a house? Can't think of what else you put a down payment on. I guess a car. We did give a certified cheque for our car.

Like a down payment for a house? Can't think of what else you put a down payment on. I guess a car. We did give a certified cheque for our car.
Yes cars. Or high cost items that you’re financing. I got a cashiers check for my house.

Guess I'm not seeing the correlation that you mention between car payments, debit cards and down payments. It would be rare to pay a car payment or a downpayment on a large purchase with a debit card.

Funny what an antique system you have! Writing cheques for car payments. Like something from the 1970/80s for most countries.

I've been using about the same number of checks per year for years. Not a lot, but I still find them useful. I mostly use them for school functions/fundraisers and paying my property taxes. We are issued personal cheques from work when we submit receipts for school supplies bought for our classrooms.

Guess I'm not seeing the correlation that you mention between car payments, debit cards and down payments. It would be rare to pay a car payment or a downpayment on a large purchase with a debit card.

Funny what an antique system you have! Writing cheques for car payments. Like something from the 1970/80s for most countries.
You said you couldn’t believe a car dealership would take checks. I said, I’ve made all my down payments with checks. Down payments not car payments. A large sum of money at once vs a small sum of money monthly. Car payments don’t get made to the dealership they get made to the bank. I never said anything about using checks for car payments. You said you used your debit in 1991 at a car dealership. I took that to mean for a down payment as you mentioned you bought a car. You did not say otherwise until now.
Not sure why you feel the need to insult the way we do things at every turn as I have not done that with you. You seemed curious, I’ve tried to explain but you seem more interested in pointing out how backwards we are to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter