Do You Write Many Checks Anymore?

Nope, I can't remember the last time I wrote one. I do keep a blank one in my wallet just in case. I pay all my bills on line and use my credit card to pay for everything else then pay it off every month.

Rarely, I just paid for DD8 to go to Brownie camp by cheque. I also write them for fundraising for the swim club. If we don't participate in fundraisers they cash my cheque. I would say maybe 5 a year.

It's so infrequent that needing to write a check is a novelty occasion that stands out in my memory for years to come -- I have written two checks since January 2008.

I've had my current checking account for 4.5 years, since our old bank moved out of our area, and I haven't actually ordered any yet. Once or twice a year something comes up that reminds me that I really should order checks, but somehow I never do.

I write a check to the city once a month for our water/trash service because they charge three bucks to pay with a card! And I write a check to my hair stylist about every 3 months. And that's it! :) I wish I didn't have to have a check book at all.

I'm old school; almost everything is paid by check. DH gets paid on the last day of the month, so that's when I sit down and pay the bills. Most everything is due mid-month, set up that way intentionally, so everything goes in the mail (indoors at the PO) on the first of the month. I just am not comfortable putting my bank account information out there on the internet. Credit cards will cover me if there're fraudulent charges, but if a hacker can get into my bank account, my money's gone.

I like being "in touch" with our finances. As we charge almost everything and pay it off in full monthly, it's helpful to me to know what's in my accounts at any given time. That way I know if we can afford things. To have bills automatically paid and have the money "leave" the account magically doesn't work for me. How much is going out? Will I have enough to cover the next bill? I have a couple of friends who NEVER know what they have in the bank; everything is auto-paid. Interestingly, they are also my friends who often bounce checks and carry credit card debt. IMO they have distanced themselves from their resources, never really know what they have, never really know what they can afford- OR NOT. This just wouldn't work for me!
You don’t have to auto pay in order to go paperless. My billers don’t have access to my account, my bank has access to my bills. Not one cent leaves my account without my input. I get notified of the bill, go to my account and pay it. This actually makes me MORE aware of what’s in my account. The three things I have on auto pay are on credit cards. I do this mostly to keep the credit cards active.

I keep a checkbook to pay my sister for haircuts because it’s a pain in the butt to go get cash. If we can ever convince her to get square reader or Venmo I’ll probably never write another check. Older DD doesn’t even own a checkbook. I’m not sure she’s ever written a check.

End of last school year our kids' school got they amazing program where you can pay for school fundraisers and field trips online. You can also sign the permission form on line! It's awesome.
I wish our school district would do this. If you have to pay the school it’s cash or money order. Registration is online and I can put money in their lunch accounts online. I was also able to pre pay for their yearbooks online since it goes through the company and not the school. They’re slowly getting there.

Is she a senior? Usually its older people I know that have this irrational fear of technology.
I've paid bills online for 20 years. That's a long time. This isn't new technology. Doesn't she use her bank's app? That's all I use now.
My dad went paperless long before I did. Once I realized you didn’t have to do auto pay I was fully onboard.

I write a rent check once a month. I have to write checks for the DMV when I mail in registration. And my auto body guy doesn't take credit card, but I don't see him that often. Probably 20-30 a year.

Back when I was in undergrad in a sorority, I had to write checks for all of my t-shirt orders, function tickets, donations, etc. It was before the days of Venmo - they might do all of that through Venmo now, I'm not sure.
You can’t register your car online?

Up until a number of years ago, cheques could be legally written on anything. Hence my father was written a check for £5 on the side of a cricket bat...

I like being "in touch" with our finances. As we charge almost everything and pay it off in full monthly, it's helpful to me to know what's in my accounts at any given time. That way I know if we can afford things. To have bills automatically paid and have the money "leave" the account magically doesn't work for me. How much is going out? Will I have enough to cover the next bill? I have a couple of friends who NEVER know what they have in the bank; everything is auto-paid. Interestingly, they are also my friends who often bounce checks and carry credit card debt. IMO they have distanced themselves from their resources, never really know what they have, never really know what they can afford- OR NOT. This just wouldn't work for me!

And see, this is exactly why I hate checks... I like knowing what I have at every minute, but I know I'm rather forgetful/scattered by nature and I don't like having something outstanding that doesn't show up electronically in real time. With checks, it is just too easy for me to pay for a fundraiser or something that takes weeks to clear and forget about it, and while we're not usually so tight that it would make a difference now, I still remember times when forgetting about a school picture order or fundraiser check - some of which took 6 weeks to clear! - did put us at risk of overdrawing the checking account. So I avoid checks as much as possible. I don't use auto-pay either, except for fixed-amount bills like our cell phones, Netflix, etc. Anything that varies in amount or that I want to review before paying, I have set to paperless with text or e-mail reminders, so I can review the bills before they get paid.

And see, this is exactly why I hate checks... I like knowing what I have at every minute, but I know I'm rather forgetful/scattered by nature and I don't like having something outstanding that doesn't show up electronically in real time. With checks, it is just too easy for me to pay for a fundraiser or something that takes weeks to clear and forget about it, and while we're not usually so tight that it would make a difference now, I still remember times when forgetting about a school picture order or fundraiser check - some of which took 6 weeks to clear! - did put us at risk of overdrawing the checking account. So I avoid checks as much as possible. I don't use auto-pay either, except for fixed-amount bills like our cell phones, Netflix, etc. Anything that varies in amount or that I want to review before paying, I have set to paperless with text or e-mail reminders, so I can review the bills before they get paid.
I still keep my paper register up to date, no matter whether it is for an actual paper check, which I put it BEFORE I write the check, or electronic payments. And yes, I balance my checking account every month.

I don't think I've recorded anything in my register nor balanced my account in over 25 years. I glance at the on-line statements every month, and before that the paper statements. Nothing ever seemed amiss.

I write checks for most school stuff, daycare, Girl Scouts and their lunch accounts. I can use a credit card online for their lunch accounts, but I refuse to pay the 3% fee.
I’ve been an online banking user since it first rolled out in 96 via a dialup number. It was all text and no graphics and the screens corresponded to the atm machines at the time.

The only think I’ve used actual checks for in the last 5+ years was when I needed to submit a voided check to set up a direct deposit.

My mid 60s Mom has some specific ideas about online banking safety. Except the things she’s concerned about are actually more of an issue than using online banking. Even after agreeing with me, I don’t think she’ll make the switch.

I just checked my checkbook. I've written 8 checks since September 1st. 5 to Schwans. 2 to my mechanic. 1 to the pest control company.

I said before that I pay everything by check, but I'm going to add this: some of the biggest checks I write on a regular basis (property taxes on the real estate we own, and college tuition) I can't pay electronically unless I'm willing to pay a 3 or 4 percent 'convenience fee'. If I'm spending thousands of dollars, there's no way in the world that I'm going to pay an extra 3 or 4 percent to pay electronically. Ditto with my electric bill, water/sewer bill and property taxes on my car and the kid's school lunch account, all of which have that pesky convenience fee.

I still keep my paper register up to date, no matter whether it is for an actual paper check, which I put it BEFORE I write the check, or electronic payments. And yes, I balance my checking account every month.

I don't think I've recorded anything in my register nor balanced my account in over 25 years. I glance at the on-line statements every month, and before that the paper statements. Nothing ever seemed amiss.

I think they last time I balanced my chequing account was around 1995.

I said before that I pay everything by check, but I'm going to add this: some of the biggest checks I write on a regular basis (property taxes on the real estate we own, and college tuition) I can't pay electronically unless I'm willing to pay a 3 or 4 percent 'convenience fee'. If I'm spending thousands of dollars, there's no way in the world that I'm going to pay an extra 3 or 4 percent to pay electronically. Ditto with my electric bill, water/sewer bill and property taxes on my car and the kid's school lunch account, all of which have that pesky convenience fee.

None of my bills have any kind of convenience fee - insurance, hydro, water, cell phones, property taxes. Maybe it's a law here about charging for that. Not too sure.
Weird how things differ so much. I have paid all my utilities online for like 20 years. I can't even imagine writing cheques for something like a water bill. It seems as archaic as cassette tape and typewriters.
I paid tuition for a course at a University recently. I sent them an e-transfer. It's 2017. LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter