Disney's Wish

I haven't been able to make it to the theater to see Wish, mostly due to my looming trip to WDW, but I definitely have an opinion on the release date. Just like Haunted Mansion should have had its theatrical release during the Halloween season, Wish should have had a December holiday release not November. Just my opinion, but I think the decision making by folks in charge has been a bit off to say the least.

So I had no idea this was about previous Disney movies, or is it? Still haven't gone, but was wondering watching the trailer how anyone would know that, or even care. Seems a stretch to say that's a reason people avoided it.

Is it obvious in the trailer?

So I had no idea this was about previous Disney movies, or is it? Still haven't gone, but was wondering watching the trailer how anyone would know that, or even care. Seems a stretch to say that's a reason people avoided it.

It's not really. The plot is basically about wishes, but they are analagous to some old Disney movies. It's really just a celebration of all things Disney, and the movie is even more of a classic style movie, witht he storybook opening and everything.

I haven't been able to make it to the theater to see Wish, mostly due to my looming trip to WDW, but I definitely have an opinion on the release date. Just like Haunted Mansion should have had its theatrical release during the Halloween season, Wish should have had a December holiday release not November. Just my opinion, but I think the decision making by folks in charge has been a bit off to say the least.
I am trying to remember where, but I read an article recently where they discussed the recent November Disney flops, and whether or not Thanksgiving/November is a good time for Disney to release movies. I'm from Europe so I wouldn't tell what is better for the US market. But I wonder if late November is a good time in Europe. It's quite a random time. Here in the Netherlands we do not have Thanksgiving and we have a holiday on the 5th of December, which comes with usually a new movie each year, aimed at families with children.

When the Christmas break starts is probably a better time on this side of the Atlantic.

Wish is not about Disney movies, it's a regular fairytale about a young heroine and wishes.
It does have a lot of Easter eggs of previous Disney movies. Like someone has a wish to become a seamstress, the dress she dreams of is Aurora's dress. Someone wishes to fly and there are references to Peter Pan.

I think Disney aims for the general public with the plot, and hopes to get a lot of love from the fans because of all the references.

Last edited:

I think in my eyes Wish got too overhyped even before it's theater release with the toys by Mattel being released in October and the inclusion of Wish character figurines in the McDonald's Disney Happy Meal and by the time Wish officially opened in theaters on Thanksgiving Week people were tired of hearing about it and I think Disney really wanted to make a lot of money on marketing Wish but just like Strange World Atlantis The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet people knew Wish would be a hit but just as Pixar did with A Bug's Life in 1998 but when it was having competition with Dreamworks Antz A Bug's Life held on and still got huge success but in this case Wish's competition was Trolls Band Together and I think once Trolls Band Together opened in theaters it stole some of Wish's audience and I can bet once Wonka and Aquaman 2 hit theaters Wish will be #1 at the box office and Wish will make it's Disney+ debut on New Year's Eve and it will gain a bigger audience on Disney+
I think Wish is staying in theaters until sometime in February 2024.

Am I the only one who’s very upset that the critics giving Wish bad reviews and not doing well at the box office?

Am I the only one who’s very upset that the critics giving Wish bad reviews and not doing well at the box office?

I kinda am. I really thought this would eb a return to form for Disney - plus it'a a really good meovie. I mena, I quite enjoyed Strange World, but that one was always going to be niche. Wish seemed to have everything going for it.

I kinda am. I really thought this would eb a return to form for Disney - plus it'a a really good meovie. I mena, I quite enjoyed Strange World, but that one was always going to be niche. Wish seemed to have everything going for it.
Thank you. Those mean-spirited people on WDWMagic.com are being mean to me and they’re a bunch of haters. I guess Disney’s 100th Anniversary is ruined!😢

Thank you. Those mean-spirited people on WDWMagic.com are being mean to me and they’re a bunch of haters. I guess Disney’s 100th Anniversary is ruined!😢

Well, that's a tad dramatic. I don't think the 100th is ruined. All that really matters is that you enjoyed the movie. The is never a call to be mean to anybody over their opinion on a movie. Some people didn't like it and that's fine. We can debate what went wrong, but I still thought it's a good movie.

Even though I really disliked the film, it makes me sad too. I want Disney films to do well and when they don't, it doesn't make me feel great. I KNOW Disney can make better films than Wish. They've made some of my favorite animated films but they haven't made bangers every time. They occasionally put out a Chicken Little or Home on the Range. I have confidence that they'll bounce back but for now Wish isn't it.

Even though I really disliked the film, it makes me sad too. I want Disney films to do well and when they don't, it doesn't make me feel great. I KNOW Disney can make better films than Wish. They've made some of my favorite animated films but they haven't made bangers every time. They occasionally put out a Chicken Little or Home on the Range. I have confidence that they'll bounce back but for now Wish isn't it.
I think the box office is rigged, but what do I know? Maybe it'll do better on Disney+ and be come a cult classic. I hope.

Home on the Range is not actually as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's a weird premise, but the execution is actually good. Chicken Little is the opposite - the premise was good, but, man, it just isn't good. It is actually I think the worst of all Disney movies.

I went to see Wish today. After following this thread, and all the mixed reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved it.

I thought it started slow, and I wasn't sold on Magifico as a villain at the start, but the many Easter eggs had me quietly cheering throughout. By the time we reached the finale, and that end credit scene, I was bawling my eyes out.

Plus, after initially not thinking much of the songs, I listened to the whole soundtrack on the way home and can't see this being on repeat for a while.

As a celebration of 100 years of Disney, I'm pretty happy with it.

Finally saw it last night

4/6

loved the animation and the Asha songs

I was surprised that Disney dropped the ball on making her little sidekick more funnier, they usually knock that out the park.

easter eggs were great

I think Valentino is really funny "especially when he says "'i'm talking i'm talking" and I think he is the scene stealer of Wish. But I do hope Ariana DeBose wins an Oscar for the song This Wish at next year's Oscars. That should make Wish even more popular

I think Valentino is really funny "especially when he says "'i'm talking i'm talking" and I think he is the scene stealer of Wish. But I do hope Ariana DeBose wins an Oscar for the song This Wish at next year's Oscars. That should make Wish even more popular

Love her, but doesnt look like the song is going to be nominated--- didnt get a Golden Globe nomination, and 0scar usually has same nominees

For a Disney musical, the songs were pretty weak imo.
I agree. The songs felt very....pop-ish? I didn't feel like they particularly fit the setting in which the story takes place in. I later found out that the songs were done by people who write music for artists like Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Shawn Mendez, Fifth Harmony, etc. and I was like, "Oh, so that's why the songs sound like that."

I agree. The songs felt very....pop-ish? I didn't feel like they particularly fit the setting in which the story takes place in. I later found out that the songs were done by people who write music for artists like Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Shawn Mendez, Fifth Harmony, etc. and I was like, "Oh, so that's why the songs sound like that."
I didn't know that either. Interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter