• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Disney's Wish

I can't wait to see it! It's a shame that the critics hated it.:sad1: But, I hope it's a box office hit.
It's not just the critics this time. Fairly universally panned, except by Disney sheep everywhere. These days, it seems Disney fans will ingest just about any garbage Disney feeds them. Wish, The Marvels, heck I'm sure there must have been folks that enjoyed Frozen 2.

It's not just the critics this time. Fairly universally panned, except by Disney sheep everywhere. These days, it seems Disney fans will ingest just about any garbage Disney feeds them. Wish, The Marvels, heck I'm sure there must have been folks that enjoyed Frozen 2.

It doesn't make people sheep if they genuinely enjoyed those films.

Last edited:
If you appreciate animation as as art form, you need to see it on the big screen. The art style they chose has so much fine details to it. Those details will be lost on a smaller screen.

The soundtrack is an absolute banger! We haven't had a villain song this good since the 90s!

I love Valentino and Star, but I do tend to favor the animal sidekicks. Asha was great too. I love her hair.

I loved all the Disney Easter eggs. I caught a lot, but I know I didn't see them all. Off to Google a list....

If you appreciate animation as as art form, you need to see it on the big screen. The art style they chose has so much fine details to it. Those details will be lost on a smaller screen.

The soundtrack is an absolute banger! We haven't had a villain song this good since the 90s!

I love Valentino and Star, but I do tend to favor the animal sidekicks. Asha was great too. I love her hair.

I loved all the Disney Easter eggs. I caught a lot, but I know I didn't see them all. Off to Google a list....

I definitely felt that way when I saw teh trailer on the big screen. I had seen it at home, but it really looked special in theaters and I became even more excited to see it. People can debate the story and the music, but that animation was just flat-out gorgeous!

It doesn't make people sheep if they genuinely enjoyed those films.
I haven't heard a single Disney fan who said they didn't care for it. Two couples I know who were just looking to see a movie this weekend saw it and left quite disappointed.

I haven't heard a single Disney fan who said they didn't care for it. Two couples I know who were just looking to see a movie this weekend saw it and left quite disappointed.
Well, the film was definitely made with Disney fans in mind. It doesn't surprise me. That said, just because anyone likes ANY movie, that alone doesn't make them "sheep." I am a big Disney fan and I do like most of what they make, but not everything. I make up my own mind.

Saw it last Saturday then went back to take my 4 year old for her first movie in a theater - she sat through the entire movie which is a feat! And wanted me to play the soundtrack in the car.

We really enjoyed it. Not our favorite ever but definitely good.

$19M over the 5 day Holiday weekend? Oh my.

Thinking about taking our 4yo GSon as well though. Not to encouraged but as a Disney fan we should like the references etc.

$19M over the 5 day Holiday weekend? Oh my.

Thinking about taking our 4yo GSon as well though. Not to encouraged but as a Disney fan we should like the references etc.
The 19M actually refers to the normal 3 day weekend and the holiday 5 day was 31.6M.

Not really better but yeah not good.

I have yet to watch it, though plan to next week but my brother and his finance said they really enjoyed it.

Hope you do as well if you go.

How do you define 'Disney Fan'? I think everyone on here can be considered a Disney fan. In this thread there are some more people who didn't really care for it. https://www.disboards.com/threads/wish-disney-easter-eggs-warning-spoilers-included.3934502/page-5

(The thread does derail a bit...)

Something I saw on Tiktok was about worldbuilding. When it comes how giving up your wish impacts your life, is really limited. We see it a bit in Sleepy (don't remember the character's actual name), but not very much. The song The City of Rosas could have given us much more backstory and worldbuilding.

Like "Belle" or "Family Madrigal" give us so much more about characters and world.

I really enjoyed the movie because to me it was advertised as a celebration of the last 100 years. To me it delivered on that in spades. I really enjoyed the animation because it reminded me of the classic animation but in a modern way. However, if you have been disgruntled with Disney over the years, you will find a reason to be disgruntled with this movie.

Just a quick point though, you can be disgruntled over anything if you go in with that mindset

Why I think Disney should've done with Wish is promote it a lot more because the way I see it I think it's gonna be like what happened with Strange World last year. Because when you have a movie like Frozen or Encanto it gathers a huge fanbase and Disney hopes that Wish has that same effect as Frozen and Encanto had. Look at what Disney did with Home On The Range and the audience reaction for Home On The Range was alright but not as successful as they thought it would be. But what I think with Wish is that it will score the same reaction as Tangled did in 2010 but I still think Wish will have strong success in the weekend box-office ratings this weekend

I just got back from seeing Wish, and I had one thing to say to those evil critics:
I loved it! Lots of great Disney references, great songs, and great animation! I’ll say this, it’s not a perfect movie, but it’s a great film. I feel it's unfair that the critics gave it mixed review and receive low expectations from the box office. I guess it’ll just do better on DisneyPlus like Encanto did. :sad1: Anyway, I think it's a great film.

I just got back from seeing Wish, and I had one thing to say to those evil critics:
I loved it! Lots of great Disney references, great songs, and great animation! I’ll say this, it’s not a perfect movie, but it’s a great film. I feel it's unfair that the critics gave it mixed review and receive low expectations from the box office. I guess it’ll just do better on DisneyPlus like Encanto did. :sad1: Anyway, I think it's a great film.

Agreed, and bonus points for the, "Why you ackin' so cray-cray," reference!

It was beaten by Trolls in its 3rd weekend this weekend? How is that possible?

Hoping to see Wish yet, but Trolls no way.

Hoping to see Wish yet, but Trolls no way

Trolls is made for the children of today. It is modern. Wish is made for nostalgic reasons, that attracts a different audience.

When you look at the trailers of these two movies, Trolls is upbeat and colourful. Wish is much more serious.

Especially if a family has younger children, I can imagine they choose Trolls over Wish. Chances are much higher their children will be entertained throughout as it looks to be in line with other cartoons they watch.

Hoping to see Wish yet, but Trolls no way.
Sequels/known IP continuing the trend of selling better in animation than originals. Kids have mostly seen some iteration of trolls so this is the next one on the list.

Add in the reception to Wish in general has been lacking for the most part.

There’s still also the effect of streaming on gross revenue opportunities. Most of the general audience knows a Disney movie is going to wind up on D+, for Trolls a decent amount don’t know where it might wind up on the streaming services because it could be on Peacock or licensed to Prime or Netflix. So the way to see it for sure is in theaters.

Sequels/known IP continuing the trend of selling better in animation than originals. Kids have mostly seen some iteration of trolls so this is the next one on the list.

Add in the reception to Wish in general has been lacking for the most part.

There’s still also the effect of streaming on gross revenue opportunities. Most of the general audience knows a Disney movie is going to wind up on D+, for Trolls a decent amount don’t know where it might wind up on the streaming services because it could be on Peacock or licensed to Prime or Netflix. So the way to see it for sure is in theaters.

That's the key. Disney is more than a movie studio, it is a lifestyle brand as exemplified by the very existence of this website. People know where Disney movies will be and they are more likely to have D+ than most of the other streaming services. In a way, Disney is the victim of their own success.

I guess the expectation all along was Trolls 3 would out perform Wish, for whatever reasons. Just never occurred to me. The OP got me all excited.

Making it's debut in November is a brand new movie called Wish and promises to be a huge hit when it debuts.

From the preview I saw I think Disney's Wish will be a hit movie and it will prove that Disney is doing well in movies again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter