Disney's Wish

Wish is made for nostalgic reasons, that attracts a different audience.
I think this actually works against Wish's favor in a way. Disney movies are meant to attract a universal audience. You don't have to be a Disney "fan" to enjoy the films that they produce. Wish seems to cater to diehard Disney fans specifically and doesn't have much else to appeal to non fans.

I think this actually works against Wish's favor in a way. Disney movies are meant to attract a universal audience. You don't have to be a Disney "fan" to enjoy the films that they produce. Wish seems to cater to diehard Disney fans specifically and doesn't have much else to appeal to non fans.

Well, I wouldn't say that you have to be a "Disney Fan" to enjoy it, but you would catch more references for sure. Wish is interesting though because it is really a very old-school movie, harkening back to like a Sleeping Beauty style. That maybe doesn't play as well with the younger set.

To me that was also one of the problems of the new Haunted Mansion movie. They really catered it to the fans, and to such an extent that it takes away focus from the actual movie.

The problem with some of the references in Wish, to me, is that you are taken out of the movie and reminded of another movie. The two Peter Pan references and Mary Poppins reference did that for me, for example.

Well, I wouldn't say that you have to be a "Disney Fan" to enjoy it, but you would catch more references for sure. Wish is interesting though because it is really a very old-school movie, harkening back to like a Sleeping Beauty style. That maybe doesn't play as well with the younger set.
My point is more in the sense of, would someone who consumes Disney content very casually or not at all, enjoy this film?

Movies like Beauty and the Beast for example can still be enjoyed even if you aren't a fan of any of Disney's other works.

My point is more in the sense of, would someone who consumes Disney content very casually or not at all, enjoy this film?

Movies like Beauty and the Beast for example can still be enjoyed even if you aren't a fan of any of Disney's other works.

It think they would. It's a basic fairytale story.

The problem with some of the references in Wish, to me, is that you are taken out of the movie and reminded of another movie. The two Peter Pan references and Mary Poppins reference did that for me, for example.
The Peter Pan ones were horrendous. Made my eyes roll so hard they almost fell out of my skull.

I don’t want to sound like this, but I just can’t believe Wish failed at the box office. That’s not fair! I guess Disney’s 100th anniversary is ruined.:sad: First the hollywood strike, then the critics, and now this gosh awful Trolls movie! They’re the ones that ruined Wish and Disney’s 100th anniversary! But, I guess that’s just me.

Last edited:

I don’t want to sound, but I just can’t believe Wish failed at the box office. That’s not fair! I guess Disney’s 100th anniversary is ruined.
It is! Disney is ruined forever and ever and ever. I heard Walt Disney is closing the Walt Disney company because of it. 😱

It is! Disney is ruined forever and ever and ever. I heard Walt Disney is closing the Walt Disney company because of it. 😱

All kidding aside, I am a bit surprised by it's failure. It seemed to have everythign going for it, and even though I didn't expect it to be huge, I thought for sure a decent performance, maybe apread out like Elemental, would be in the cards. The fact that it really cratered is a bit shocking.

All kidding aside, I am a bit surprised by it's failure. It seemed to have everythign going for it, and even though I didn't expect it to be huge, I thought for sure a decent performance, maybe apread out like Elemental, would be in the cards. The fact that it really cratered is a bit shocking.
Honestly? I just think ppl have other things to do than go to the movies this time of year. And so many expenses as well. Couple that with what everyone is mentioning about simply being able to wait a few months to see it at home on D+ then I can kinda see why even tho I personally really really liked it. Cringe Peter Pan references aside 😉

Anecdotally I'm the only one in my family/friend circle that has seen it, not because everyone else is uninterested but because they haven't had time. I wanted to go see it again but no time to do it till around Xmas and who know if it will be in theaters anymore.

Honestly? I just think ppl have other things to do than go to the movies this time of year. And so many expenses as well. Couple that with what everyone is mentioning about simply being able to wait a few months to see it at home on D+ then I can kinda see why even tho I personally really really liked it. Cringe Peter Pan references aside 😉

Anecdotally I'm the only one in my family/friend circle that has seen it, not because everyone else is uninterested but because they haven't had time. I wanted to go see it again but no time to do it till around Xmas and who know if it will be in theaters anymore.

True - timing is a huge factor in box-office performance. Traditionally that had been a good spot for family fare, but that may be changing.

Yeah that might be a factor tbh. I'm going to see the new Studio Ghibi movie this saturday and so far I am the only person in my showing. My ticket was almost $17 which is also....not awesome especially if you're going with a larger group.

Yeah that might be a factor tbh. I'm going to see the new Studio Ghibi movie this saturday and so far I am the only person in my showing. My ticket was almost $17 which is also....not awesome especially if you're going with a larger group.
$17 ?!?! Yikes. Even at 9$ I feel like it's so expensive. I have even stopped buying popcorn and bring snack from home. And that's just for me, I can easily see how a family with lil kids could spend at least 60$ in one outing. It's too expensive.

$17 ?!?! Yikes. Even at 9$ I feel like it's so expensive. I have even stopped buying popcorn and bring snack from home. And that's just for me, I can easily see how a family with lil kids could spend at least 60$ in one outing. It's too expensive.
It's the only theater near me showing the movie in Japanese (with subtitles) so I grumbled and paid the $17. Totally agree that the cost is nuts for families.

I already have a 1.25 litre bottle of Fanta and candy to smuggle into the theater lol

I think the main reason why Wish is in 5th place in box-office movies is because people were more interested in Trolls Band Together than Wish because when you look at Disney movies in the past the same exact thing was repeated when Disney's Tangled was released at the same time as Tron Legacy and before then when The Princess And The Frog movie debuted it had the same competition with the Alvin And The Chipmunks movie and while the Alvin And The Chipmunks was a stellar hit The Princess And The Frog was better. But I think what Dreamworks is planning to do with the Trolls movies is make the Trolls series the new Shrek and I'm also a fan of Dreamworks Trolls and when that movie came out little did we know that Dreamworks Trolls would become a blockbuster hit and it has gotten cartoon series and Christmas specials everywhere you look. But I think with Wish I think in time it will gain a large fanbase like Aladdin and The Little Mermaid have and I can expect in a year or two Disney will make a live-action version of Wish and it would be a hit if it was made

One other thought I had, is King Magnifico the first (or best) villain to side with? Especially in the beginning when he explains the rules of granting wishes to Asha, you think "yeah, you are right, it is a dumb idea to grant all wishes. Focussing on the ones that are best for Rosas is a good idea."

Are there other Disney villains who were right in their (initial) motivation from an outsider perspective?

One other thought I had, is King Magnifico the first (or best) villain to side with? Especially in the beginning when he explains the rules of granting wishes to Asha, you think "yeah, you are right, it is a dumb idea to grant all wishes. Focussing on the ones that are best for Rosas is a good idea."

Are there other Disney villains who were right in their (initial) motivation from an outsider perspective?

I don't think he was right. Certainly, he had a point, however he was not transparent about the process and also HE was teh sole arbiter of "what was good for Rosas." He may not have been an over-the-top villain in the beginning, but he was hardly the benevolent leader he claimed to be.

I think in my eyes Wish got too overhyped even before it's theater release with the toys by Mattel being released in October and the inclusion of Wish character figurines in the McDonald's Disney Happy Meal and by the time Wish officially opened in theaters on Thanksgiving Week people were tired of hearing about it and I think Disney really wanted to make a lot of money on marketing Wish but just like Strange World Atlantis The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet people knew Wish would be a hit but just as Pixar did with A Bug's Life in 1998 but when it was having competition with Dreamworks Antz A Bug's Life held on and still got huge success but in this case Wish's competition was Trolls Band Together and I think once Trolls Band Together opened in theaters it stole some of Wish's audience and I can bet once Wonka and Aquaman 2 hit theaters Wish will be #1 at the box office and Wish will make it's Disney+ debut on New Year's Eve and it will gain a bigger audience on Disney+

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter