Diet & Exercise

Someone above mentioned reducing inflammation. I noticed while I was on an ultra low carb diet about 8 years ago, and as I scaled up from that level to low carb maintenance that I had far less aches and pain from inflammation. . I also no longer suffered from seasonal allergies. I also noticed I had a lot more energy to exercise.

My point is there is potentially more to gain than just losing weight. My experience is that the better I felt the more I wanted to avoid the foods causing the inflammation.

All I can think about right now is the things I like that I can't have...
* Carbs
* Grapes
* Watermelon
* Pineapple
* Cheese
* Sweets
* Chips

Yea, yea, I know, it's "portion control". So I'm going to be hungry ALL. THE. TIME. That's probably not accurate, but that's where my brain is. I'm feeling sorry for myself right now. I don't have confidence I'm going to stick to anything for much more than a week, if that long. A nutritionist is supposed to call me at some point. Maybe they'll give me some hope. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the encouragement and suggestions everyone has posted. As many have said "it's mental" and I've got a mental block against this. I feel like I'm not going to enjoy eating. That's it's going to be a "chore".

Part of the issue is I feel fine. No, really. I find it similar to when I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. I was told when I go on a CPAP, I'd sleep SO much better, I can lose weight, I won't be tired, etc, etc. Two years of using the CPAP 9.9% of nights, and it's still an annoying device that I have to wake up to adjust 2-3 times a night. I don't feel any better, obviously haven't lost weight, have and no more energy than I did before starting it. The ONLY reason I use it is so I don't snore and keep my family awake.

As I said, I'm feeling sorry for myself and getting grumpy.

Thank you for all the input, it is greatly appreciated.

Mental state can affect physical state, so I'd try to turn this around into what I CAN have...things like...

Filet Mignon
Salmon
Shrimp
Ahi Tuna
Cod
Pork Tenderloin
Etc, etc

When I got 2 food allergies in my 40s (thanks to my leukemia), I didn't fixate on not being able to have dairy and tree nuts - I thought of what I could have that would taste just as good. For me, that was a rebirth with Asian cuisine (over Italian). And an ability to try all new fruits and veg and dishes that I wouldn't have gone for before (like vegan dishes - which are actually pretty damn good in restaurants - who knew?:))...

You've got to focus on the positive. You have the issue, you now know it isn't immediately lethal and it can be 100% handled, and you have the money, time, power, and control to handle it. So, it's no big deal - you have got it.

PS - I still greatly enjoy eating and cooking...and have now made it a goal to find as many top 8 allergy free dessert dishes as I can, so no one around me has to miss dessert (b/c that course is the item I can almost never have in a restaurant b/c of the dairy and tree nuts together, b/c the dairy sub in desserts tends to be either almond or cashew based)...

Portion control is a HUGE problem for me... especially when it's a food I like. Unfortunately, what I like is carbs... bread, pasta, rice, etc.
That is so me!! I know what I should or 'shouldn't' eat, but give me a bowl of spaghetti...

Anyway, what worked for me, and by extension (since I do the food shopping and cooking) for my husband, is WW. NO, not sitting in some meeting and doing public weigh-ins! I use the app/website only. It's like a game for me. You get a certain number of points to use each day. It's very easy and straightforward, so I don't have to worry about counting calories or writing things down. Get a food scale so you can accurately weigh portions. I eat the pasta and rice that I love, but in smaller portions than I would have had in the past! It helps me to know what I'm having for breakfast and lunch ahead of time, so I eat the same thing every day. Breakfast is 2 hard boiled eggs, an orange or banana, and a cup of tea with 1 tsp (measuring tsp!) of sugar. I also start the day with 16 oz of warm water with a dash of sea salt. Lunch is 3/4 c of Fage 0% yogurt with A LOT of blueberries and diced strawberries, sprinkled with 1-2 tsp of sugar. The only 'points' either of those meals have is 1 point for each tsp of sugar. The other items are zero point foods. (I'm on the Blue WW plan.) By having these super low point meals I can use most of my points for dinner and/or dessert! Be smart, play around with your points! If you want wine with dinner, you can have it, just fit it in your points. Have a favorite recipe you want to make? You can 'create' on the site and it will tell you how many points each serving is.

It's been a couple of years since I first joined. I've left and rejoined a couple of times. When I'm not actively tracking points I do well for awhile, but then I find myself slipping into old habits. I need the discipline and accountability of tracking the points online, lol!

We lost our weight without exercise, however, there are many other health benefits to exercise. I'm not a group joiner, so a regular gym would never work for us. A friend used a personal trainer at a small studio. My husband and I went to him together. After many months, I had enough confidence to go on my own. I went for close to 10 years, until Covid had him close the studio. I tried zoom workouts, but that's not for me. I haven't done anything for the past year. I know all the workouts I should be doing... I just don't do it on my own! We're working on finishing off part of our basement into a workout studio, so hopefully that will motivate me...

* Carbs
* Grapes
* Watermelon
* Pineapple
* Cheese
* Sweets
* Chips

Yea, yea, I know, it's "portion control". So I'm going to be hungry ALL. THE. TIME. That's probably not accurate, but that's where my brain is. I'm feeling sorry for myself right now. I don't have confidence I'm going to stick to anything for much more than a week, if that long. A nutritionist is supposed to call me at some point. Maybe they'll give me some hope. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the encouragement and suggestions everyone has posted. As many have said "it's mental" and I've got a mental block against this. I feel like I'm not going to enjoy eating. That's it's going to be a "chore".

Part of the issue is I feel fine. No, really. I find it similar to when I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. I was told when I go on a CPAP, I'd sleep SO much better, I can lose weight, I won't be tired, etc, etc. Two years of using the CPAP 9.9% of nights, and it's still an annoying device that I have to wake up to adjust 2-3 times a night. I don't feel any better, obviously haven't lost weight, have and no more energy than I did before starting it. The ONLY reason I use it is so I don't snore and keep my family awake.

I posted above before I read this. You don’t have to be hungry all the time. There are absolutely many good foods you can eat, including some of the ones above - it’s just learning to manage them differently than you have before. In the link I left there are some great articles about the difference between simple and complex carbohydrates, eating on the run, and how to start exercising, among others. Definitely worth a read:

Diabetes and a Healthy Diet

How to Eat on the Go With Type 2 Diabetes

How to Start Exercising With Type 2 Diabetes

I am assuming your doctor started you on some medication yesterday, and counseled you on things you have to do. I hear you on the cpap machine. But you may get a better quality sleep when your diabetes is better managed because you won’t be peeing as much during the night, or thirsty, and some of the weight coming off will help you feel more comfortable, etc. You may not even realize right now how crappy you’re feeling with high sugars until they get normalized again. That’s sometimes when the lightbulb goes off like, wow, I thought I wasn’t feeling well because of x, y and z. (Stress, the pandemic, work, kids, finances, etc. You name it.) This is a chance to get feeling a lot better in several different ways.

Like many people, you will probably have your ups and downs. A1C numbers can fluctuate (for all but the most diligent people). Sometimes people initially make changes, improve their A1C, then slip back into old habits thinking the medication is covering them. Then smack, the A1C goes way up! And they can barely drag themselves out of bed. That’s when people realize it’s not going to change on its own, and they really have to make changes. So it can be a process learning to manage it. And that’s ok. Give yourself some time to feel sorry for yourself, and ***** and moan (lol), then figure out a plan of how you’re going to do your best to tackle it. Sometimes families come out of something like this healthier than they went in to it, if everyone supports you with better eating and exercising, etc. That would be a good thing for all of you. :flower3:

Last edited:
I didn't read all the replies but had to respond after reading the original post. I feel like I could have written that myself.

In 2016, I lost over 70lbs working with a diet center in my area. While actively going there, I had to go into the office once per week for weigh ins and measuring. I was also eating the food they sold for breakfast, lunch, and snacks so I had to purchase the food during my weekly visits. The protocol they follow is relatively strict so if there's ever a week or two where you lose nothing or gain, they know you aren't properly following the protocol and will require you to document everything you're consuming so they can see where you're going wrong. For me, this level of rigidity and accountability is what worked for me. I knew that if I blew it throughout the week, I would have to answer to them - and they were intimidating at times! I didn't want to look like another person making excuses and half-assing their program, so that motivated me to stick to their plan. And it worked. The other factor was that I had to purchase their food and membership to their program. I was financially invested and it wasn't a cheap undertaking. So the motivation of not wanting it to be a complete waste of time and money was also a factor for me.

I followed the Ideal Protein protocol. I loved it, but its not for everyone. I know WW does in person meetings which may be good if you think the accountability factor will motivate you. Jenny Craig is a similar program where you eat their food and (I think) check in regularly too.

Yea, yea, I know, it's "portion control". So I'm going to be hungry ALL. THE. TIME. That's probably not accurate, but that's where my brain is. I'm feeling sorry for myself right now. I don't have confidence I'm going to stick to anything for much more than a week, if that long. A nutritionist is supposed to call me at some point. Maybe they'll give me some hope. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the encouragement and suggestions everyone has posted. As many have said "it's mental" and I've got a mental block against this. I feel like I'm not going to enjoy eating. That's it's going to be a "chore"...

:hug: Those feelings are completely normal! DH went through them too, but they did pass. (They also come up again, briefly, once in while. - That's normal too!)

It takes time to find new foods you like, but they are out there!! And you don't have to completely give up all the foods on your list. DH's doc gave him a list of how much of various things he could have that would count as "1 carb choice" (or 15grams of carbs.) Here are the fruits from your list:

* Grapes - 17
* Watermelon - 1 1/4 cup
* Fresh Pineapple - 3/4 cup

For carbs and sweets, keep the catchphrase "limit, not eliminate" in mind. They are not gone for good, they are just add-ons to healthier meals instead of the star now.

DH says he likes the sugar-free coffee creamer just as well, and has tried some sugar-free candies, puddings, etc. (He especially likes the puddings - eats them so often that I secretly worry he's now getting too many chemicals instead of sugar...but one thing at a time!)

I'm not sure why cheese is on your list? - As far as I know, it's not considered a carb choice, and DH still has it pretty often. There are some made of almonds, though, that I've used in order to reduce the fat in recipes. - I like the mozzarella style better than the cheddar, and the Lisanatti brand, not the Daiya.

For chips, there are low-carb ones out there. I don't particularly like the Quest protein chips, but some flavors are better than others, if you want to give them a try. I do love Lays Poppables, though - which still taste like chips, but have a bunch of air between the layers, so the serving looks and feels way bigger than it is. - Like you said, a lot of it is mental!

Do you have good family support in all this? It's much easier if those around you are trying new foods with you than if you're doing it on your own. I do still keep a few of "my" things out of sight of DH, but for the most part, I'm enjoying piggybacking on his diet. I've lost a couple of pounds, my clothes fit better, and I have a renewed motivation to find new recipes. (I'm way too prone to getting bored and in a rut with cooking.)

I tracked calories. That made the biggest difference out of everything. Even while I'm post-surgery and cannot exercise I'm still losing weight. I used the myFitnessPal app to help. I did reduce my sugar intake -- I did not eliminate anything from my diet, I just heavily reduced and moderated to fit in to the daily calorie count. However if you have a large amount of vices like drinking a lot of soda or alcohol or
generally intaking a lot of calories in liquid form that may need to be adjusted; I don't really drink soda at all to begin with and I'm not a big alcohol drinker so I personally didn't need to modify any of that.

I got a bit more active -- I'm not particularly sedentary to begin with and our property maintenance involves a lot of physical labor, but I made a point to also walk every day even if I only had time to do 15 minutes. Eat less move more, that was all for me. I lost 13 pounds, I would like to lose about 3 more. Then I'll just be on 'maintenance calories'.

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

* Carbs
* Grapes
* Watermelon
* Pineapple
* Cheese
* Sweets
* Chips

So much you can have. Going to take some planning at first and it will be touch and go, yet you got this!
*Eggs all ways
*Fresh veggies
*Olives
*Nuts - for that chip crunch
*Pickles - for that chip crunch
*Berries
*Overnight Oats
*Potatoes
*Meats

Personally I wouldn't ditch the dairy unless you're lactose intorlant. It's protein, calcium, & vitamin D. Plus it's fermented which is good for health. Ditching dairy and gluten at the same time is extremely rough. So if you have to ditch one ditch the gluten first.

As far as hunger, you may not be hungry. Often times we mistake hunger and we're thirsty instead.

Example of our dinner menu plan for this week:
*Turkey meat tacos with all the fixins
*Turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes, & broccoli slaw
*Baked chicken parmesan & broccoli
*Jambalaya & spinach salad
*Bunless Burgers ontop of a spinach bed & baked fries
*Baked potatoes & salad

Desserts:
Grapes
Goose Berries
Blueberries
Chai Seed Pudding or Yogurt

* Carbs
* Grapes
* Watermelon
* Pineapple
* Cheese
* Sweets
* Chips

What? Are you allergic to watermelon? Are you an insulin-dependent diabetic?

you can eat a metric ton of watermelon and lose weight. It’s mostly full of water and fresh watermelon is about 46 cals per cup. Eat as much watermelon as you want. Even restricted diets usually have 1 cup of watermelon as 15g carbs.

Last edited:
I’m having issues with my blood sugar currently. Will find out more when I meet with my Dr.
I’ve also been doing low carb for three last few years and I’ve lost 40 lbs. Pinterest is your friend. I’ve found so many things on there that are low carb and also delicious. I feel so much better.
For the feeling of ice cream I take a container of cool whip and 3 tablespoons of PB protein powder and mix them together and portion them out in cupcake liners and freeze them. So good. It takes a little while to figure things out but you will. Good luck!

you can eat a metric ton of watermelon and lose weight. It’s mostly full of water and fresh watermelon is about 46 cals per cup. Eat as much watermelon as you want.
[/QUOTE]

If you read through the thread, you will find OP got a diabetes diagnosis yesterday after his initial posting...

you can eat a metric ton of watermelon and lose weight. It’s mostly full of water and fresh watermelon is about 46 cals per cup. Eat as much watermelon as you want.
The doctor was discussing what I shouldn't eat. She brought up fruit and I asked about watermelon (because I like it) and was told to stay away from it. Same with grapes and pineapple. Something to do with the natural sugars.

OK, maybe she didn't say "avoid", but only have a little. Having a little just means I want more. So if I don't have any, I might be better off.

"Eating" should not mean "work" (portion control, logging, etc). If I see something I want, I want to eat it.

To the OP:

1. Keep a positive attitude.
2. Pray daily for strength.
3. Start a Yoga program. Youtube Yoga with Adriene. She has more subscribers than Chicago has people.

The doctor was discussing what I shouldn't eat. She brought up fruit and I asked about watermelon (because I like it) and was told to stay away from it. Same with grapes and pineapple. Something to do with the natural sugars.

OK, maybe she didn't say "avoid", but only have a little. Having a little just means I want more. So if I don't have any, I might be better off.
are you being medicated for the diabetes? Metformin, etc?

you may find actually that you are not that hungry if your blood sugar is currently poorly controlled.

but even so, that’s what I thought - they said not to eat an entire watermelon, but watermelon itself is not gone. One slice of watermelon is about 1/4 cup.

I guess you do have some choices. Resist every suggestion as being inconvenient and/or impossible, in which case your health will continue to decline - or make the choice that your health is more important to you (and the consequences for diabetes are extremely serious) and make small changes one at a time to get to where you need to be.

type 2 diabetes is a recoverable situation.

You can have watermelon with diabetes, but the portion has to be controlled, like with just about everything else. Same with some other fruits that have a high glycemic index. This does a good job of explaining it.

Diabetes and Watermelon: Is it Safe to Eat?

And this is the story with cheese, remembering that diabetes increases the risk of heart disease:

The Benefits and Risks of Cheese for People With Diabetes

"Eating" should not mean "work" (portion control, logging, etc). If I see something I want, I want to eat it.

Op, I say this respectfully, but maybe you might be served by scheduling a visit with a therapist. Lots of people need help handling bad news, and this may be news you need help handling before you can get a handle on your physical condition and help yourself.

I've seen what non-handled diabetes does to a high school friend's father. You will be much better served accepting this news and working with it vs continually working against it. If you need help to do so, I suggest you might consider going to get it. It's not an admission of weakness - for cancer, they expect a good portion of folks need that help after getting the news so they can get on board their new health plans. I see no reason that wouldn't be the same for newly informed diabetics.

As with every problem in life, look at what is possible. If you cannot fly because of an inner ear problem (or something), then you can still have great trips and vacations. If you cannot eat certain things you like, you have to look for other things you do like. And, you can learn to like other things. If you reduce your sugar intake, your taste buds change. Learn to spice up your food with other spices besides salt and sugar.
Focussing on what isn't possible is not going to help.

For many of us who struggle with losing weight, it is work. Then you can get frustrated and say 'I don't want it to be work', that's tough luck, because it is work for this group of people. Losing weight is hard. Keeping it off even harder.
I have lost 60 pounds in 2016-2017, and I still think daily about what to eat and what not to eat. Resisting temptation is incredibly hard. It does get easier, but it never goes away. Whenever I am tired, or am I not strong due to stress, I give in. Knowing that I am not perfect and will never reach perfection helps not to feel bad about myself, allowing myself to slip up from time to time, makes the changes easier.

The trick is to not let one slip up ruin your entire day. Every day you have 3 meals and 3 snacks. That's 42 eating moments per week. If you slip up during one lunch, there are still 41 moments where you can make up for it. It's about the big picture.

Don't be too hard on yourself, and take it one small step at a time. Therapy might help, but only if you are ready for that.

Hanging out with like minded people is super helpful. My husband and I both live a pretty healthy lifestyle so we feed off each other, but we both also have other accountability and encouragement. Friends, extended family members, FB groups, etc. People tend to behave very similarly to those around them. Often when I hang out with a girl friend we will go on a walk together instead of say getting ice cream.

My husband and I both also follow a plan, we do not try to makeup workouts ourselves. It’s too much of a barrier to the actual goal of working out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter