Diet & Exercise

Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a tragedy or medical catastrophe to start making serious changes, in my experience. As part of my job, I have to counsel people - often a patient and spouse - on how to start trying to get healthier - after a myocardial infarction, ie heart attack, or some other cardiac event. Most people feel really awful about not making changes earlier, but I tell them hey, we have to look forward and not backward, and share that I struggle myself with staying healthy, too. Most of us do in some way, believe me. (I see it all - even in people who may “look” good, there can be lots of issues there. For example we still see lots of people who prefer to get their oral fixations satisfied with smoking rather than food. Or they’ve had super high cholesterol for years but didn’t want to take any medication for it. Fortunately these are the people who survived whatever it was that brought them into the hospital - sometimes just barely - but they realize that changes are warranted if they want to continue to live. I kid you not.)

Some of the posters here have hit on what I would say would be the best way for you to take hold of your health, Sam. And I commend you for recognizing it and posting about it. I hope my words have an impact, as I recently, once again, suddenly lost someone I love to heart disease. :( It’s hard for me, because I probably have more of an impact on my patients than I do on my own loved ones. So I hope that what I say makes an impact on someone given it’s from a medical perspective. I’ve been taking care of patients with cardiac disease for over 35 years. Heart disease starts when we’re young due to the horrible diets we eat today here in our culture. They did studies on young American men killed in Vietnam in the1960s. As compared to their Vietnamese counterparts, they Americans already had significant plaque build up in their coronary arteries that was attributed to diet. Sixty years later, our diets here are way worse than they were then, too. We’re not doing our children any favors giving them steady diets of Mac and Cheese, chicken nuggets and fries, bacon and bbq sauce on huge burgers, and sodas and calorie-laden lattes, etc. Those should be “once in a while” foods. Same with cheese, which we eat way too much of. The diets we tend to eat today are so far removed from what a good diet should be, that it’s no wonder things like heart and [fatty] liver disease, and diabetes, are occurring fast and furiously now. But I digress…

Making small changes is really helpful, like your giving up soda. It’s just empty calories that gets stored as fat. One diet soda a day is fine (because there is some evidence that even diet soda can contribute to weight gain), but things like seltzer water and unsweetened tea or coffee are better. (You get used to it, and once you do, can’t even drink it with sugar.) Same for food. I know it takes willpower, and oftentimes more effort, and even cost, especially when there are kids in the house, but simply not buying the junk, but buying healthy alternatives instead, goes a long way toward keeping off the extra calories. Learn to read labels and watch serving sizes. Cut down on foods high in sodium as they make you retain water weight, and look and feel puffy. Shop the perimeter of the supermarket, where many of the healthier foods are. Cook yourself, rather than buy pre-made foods, though some of the pre-made salads are good and satisfy food cravings, especially ones with beans and corn and things like that. Buy lots of fruits and vegetables to have on hand, most of us eat way too few. (The poster who mentioned the Mediterranean Diet got it right.) Make your serving sizes smaller. I will post a pic at the end of a healthy dinner I made for our family recently using store bought Asian salad, pineapple and leftover grilled chicken. Everyone loved it and we’ve made it again.

I would seriously do as I think it was @mommasita suggested and make an appt with a nutritionist, ie a Registered Dietician. They will do an assessment first, to see what your usual habits are (be honest!), and then make suggestions for you, using your likes and dislikes (so tailoring it specifically to you), to help you find ways to make your diet healthier, ie the way it is supposed to be. (If you want to have a bag of chips, have a bag of chips, but make it a small bag, and only have one. Don’t deprive yourself, but have just a small amount once in a while.) And getting out and exercising is important for heart health, not just for losing weight, but it does help that, as well (and helps burn off excess sugar), and helps clothes fit better, etc. Biking is a fun family activity, but really, just getting up off the sofa and getting outside to do something is a good way to start. We lost a lot when we moved to suburbs and began taking our cars everywhere rather than walking. And I feel that all the enticing electronics we have now keep us inactive in ways we’ve never been before, as humans. It’s really been detrimental to our health as a society. I wish you luck.

Remember, just start with small changes, but keep at it. :flower3:

C70F4AD3-6E04-4A08-8F33-31B4FF69DEFD.jpeg

This was a way to use up lettuce from our garden. So good. Sometimes I add blueberries or strawberries to salad, and always a few croutons for crunch.

A1EAB8F5-70E6-4F8E-AD68-6B16102B4B5E.jpeg

I did want to mention one thing - the reason I mentioned starting with exercise (and walking) is b/c you mentioned wanting to do this for health as your primary motivator. The single best thing you can do for yourself is to get off a couch, outside in fresh air, with some exercise. And walking just happens to be easy, free, and available all the time 24/7/365:).

Just that habit of getting up and out is an unbelievable benefit to so many things for your health (immune system, energy, cardiac and respiratory systems, digestive system, etc) that if you can make that stick, you'll feel "up to" doing so many more things to improve your health.

One of those "a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step" situations:)...

Just straight dieting may have you lose weight, and maybe that's what you want, but since you mentioned your health, the change to your sedentary lifestyle will give you the most "bang for your health" buck...

5 years ago, I lost 65 pounds and have kept it off. I think there are a lot of things in this thread that are really good. You really have to find out what works for YOU.

Look at healthy eating as adding healthy things, rather than subtracting unhealthy ones.

The above quote captures my mind set. Use healthy habits to push out bad habits. Or in other words, don't focus on what I can't do anymore..

I focus on eating vegetables and lean proteins that allow eating a larger quantity and not feeling starved. Lettuce, carrots, celery, peppers, eggs, chicken, turkey make up a lot of my meals. I let myself eat as much of what I want of those items. I have snacks in the house, but its all like 100 cal prepackaged so I can grab something and stop eating. (I much rather have popcorn in a 100cal bag than a giant bag even though it costs more).

For exercise, it is less important than eating well. But I found that I am a stress eater. And exercises reduces my stress, so I am less tempted to eat poorly when I exercise regularly. I alternate running and elliptical machines and found that using that as "me time" with movies, shows, or podcasts I enjoy that the rest of my family doesn't.

Good luck.

If you can, start with 10.000 steps a day.
You do not need to hit the gym if that's not your thing.

And you can make small steps in your diet. Don't try to do it all at once. Start with cutting back sugar in your coffee, or any other sugary drinks. Liquid calories are just such a waste.
Learn to read labels. Learn to look for alternatives with less sugar or sweeteners.

Keep in mind that it takes 60 days to get a habit and after 3 weeks you will have a dip.

5 years ago, I lost 65 pounds and have kept it off. I think there are a lot of things in this thread that are really good. You really have to find out what works for YOU.

The above quote captures my mind set. Use healthy habits to push out bad habits. Or in other words, don't focus on what I can't do anymore..

I focus on eating vegetables and lean proteins that allow eating a larger quantity and not feeling starved. Lettuce, carrots, celery, peppers, eggs, chicken, turkey make up a lot of my meals. I let myself eat as much of what I want of those items. I have snacks in the house, but its all like 100 cal prepackaged so I can grab something and stop eating. (I much rather have popcorn in a 100cal bag than a giant bag even though it costs more).

For exercise, it is less important than eating well. But I found that I am a stress eater. And exercises reduces my stress, so I am less tempted to eat poorly when I exercise regularly. I alternate running and elliptical machines and found that using that as "me time" with movies, shows, or podcasts I enjoy that the rest of my family doesn't.

Good luck.

The “me time” is the part that I love. I get to not answer texts or phone calls or be the problem solver and just focus on myself for a part of my day. It’s so nice to be able to turn the outside world off.

So here's what prompted this post...

I was getting a physical for something I'm trying to do, and the sugar in my urine was way high. So they did a finger stick. That was way high. They did a draw for A1C. That was high. The doctor said "you have diabetes". And, unless I can get the diabetes under control, I can not complete the task I was getting the physical for (so that's more motivation). I have an appointment in 45 minutes with my PCP. She had warned me in the past that I need to change my diet (I think I was "pre-diabetic" then), and of course I didn't.

I am going to ask if she can recommend a nutritionist. If someone can actually take what I like and come up with a plan, there's a better chance (no guarantee) of me following it.

I've been working out since mid-Feb. I'm at about a 13lbs weight loss since mid-March (when I weighed myself for the first time in a long time) but motivation has always been an issue for me. Right now I've just been working out. I cannot focus on lbs lost because that will end up being a non-motivator so I don't get on the scale much just check in every so often. I only recently bought a scale because I didn't want to have to rely on my mom's lol. My mom on the other hand is perpetually about "if I could just lose 5-15/20lbs". I've def. noticed how my workouts are affecting me. My clothes fit differently (have been able to go down a size on a few things) and I primarily focused first on my stomach doing things aimed to work the various ab muscles. Measurements from the waist are showing me it's working (especially in the obliques which is primarily done doing the steam engine movement).

The biggest thing for me was starting out small and realistic. I use a DVD set that I got when I was getting married but I just started with the warm up part (designed to get the blood flowing and heart rate slightly up) and then the cool down part (stretching). I was not ready for the middle work out part. I did that just about everyday for about 2 1/2 months (longest time I was out was when I got the second dose of the vaccine).

Then I said "okay time to add something" so I found a 3 mins arm workout (because I want to work on my arms too) and added that on top of the other workout I was doing and did that for a week everyday. Then I found a 3 mins ab workout that you do 3 sets of it for a total of 9 mins adding onto the normal workout and the 3 min arm workout. Then I found another 3 minute arm workout with weights (well technically the woman uses water bottles but I use 2lb weights that are almost double a water bottle) and you repeat the 3 mins 3 times for 9 mins total (although I've only done 2 sets so far) but I swapped out the other 3 min arm workout. I've been slowly adding things and switching up what I'm doing so I get a break (like from using the weights) and that my muscles keep getting challenged but I keep the same routine when I'm doing something different for 7 days before switching it up but so far I've repeated the arm and abs workouts twice. Next week I'm swapping out the prior ab and arm workouts for new ones but I'm always keeping the warm up and cool down parts in there.

I went from virtually no exercise to workout nearly everyday (I even did the warm up and cool down workout in Vegas in March lol) and while I know I won't always keep that up I'm still going strong at this point. I do drink a lot more water and have been doing that for about 2 years at this point. Oh I still have pop, I drink coffee virtually everyday (although only with a little 1% milk) but I drink a lot more water than I did long ago. We buy crystal light packets which also helps when you get tired of just plain water. I'm the kind of person that if you put pop in the house I will drink it too much so we tend to not buy that anymore and the pop I have it when we're out and about.

I can't help you on the nutrition part but for the exercise part you just gotta know yourself and maybe that's trial and error for figuring out what works and doesn't work. For me I knew I had to start small, to make short workouts added that are very doable for me and not to try to overdo it (pulled/strained muscles would put me out for the count for 3+ days setting me back). I'm also not a joint workout person so a gym is out for me. I enjoy walks with my husband but I don't want to workout along side him and that's something I found out. I enjoy listening to music and doing the workouts by myself. Music while working out for me is a huge must and motivator.

Also movement is movement and for those of us who fell into a more sedentary lifestyle that's a big progress in itself to do something like that especially in the beginning.

ETA: I should also mention all of my exercises have been standing ones (with exception to the arm workout with weights where you sit on a chair) and with the ab workouts that is less of a strain on my back and neck. Only exercises I've done on the ground so far have been inner and outer thigh flexibility ones.

Last edited:

I was getting a physical for something I'm trying to do, and the sugar in my urine was way high. So they did a finger stick. That was way high. They did a draw for A1C. That was high. The doctor said "you have diabetes". And, unless I can get the diabetes under control, I can not complete the task I was getting the physical for (so that's more motivation). I have an appointment in 45 minutes with my PCP. She had warned me in the past that I need to change my diet (I think I was "pre-diabetic" then), and of course I didn't.

I am going to ask if she can recommend a nutritionist. If someone can actually take what I like and come up with a plan, there's a better chance (no guarantee) of me following it.

If you talk to a nutritionist ask about fasting. I recommend this book by Dr. Jason Fung. I have found fasting much easier than I thought it would be and

As for exercise, it is like any other habit so I suggest looking into general habit forming and I see other posts with some specific advice. You basically have two options depending on your personality. You can make yourself love/like/tolerate a specific exercise you want to do or you can find one you already love/like/tolerate and do it. If you have a hobby that can be incorporated into fitness that makes it easier to do. If you like walking try hiking, if you like the water try rowing, etc.

I've been on Weight Watchers now since Sept 2018 and have lost 100 pounds (plus 30 in the 5 years before that on my own). I'm 62 and have 28 pounds to go to reach goal. I was morbidly obese for 30+ years and so the change had to be dramatic but also something I could live with for the rest of my life. Getting my head in the game was the #1 reason I have been successful. Here's what I learned:
1. Carbs are not my friend. I was eating way too many "bad" carbs and my portion sizes were way out of whack. Now I limit myself to 1/2 cup servings for rice, mac & cheese or mashed potatoes, 85 grams or so of steak fries or baked potato, 1 cup of pasta, etc. These amounts work for me in my WW plan but can be different for you. Complex carbs are better for you.
2. I eat a lot more vegetables and fruits. I start the day with a large skillet of vegetables with one egg scrambled in to hold it all together.
3. I eat a lot more chicken, fish and lean pork. but portions are 3-5 ounces. I've cut back on beef, changed from pork sausage to chicken/turkey sausage. I usually saute my meats in a scant amount of olive oil, broil or grill it. I cut most visible fat off before I cook the meat. I was never very fond of fried food but my husband likes it and so I'll occasionally make breaded chicken cutlets in the over or cooked in a little olive oil instead of deep frying.
4. What you drink can have a huge impact on your calorie intake. Water is best but unsweetened tea with lemon, black coffee are good. It's amazing to see how many calories are in alcohol, fruit juices and those fancy coffees that so many people drink.
5. Watch for any added sugar or artificial sweeteners. Both are bad for you. Artificial sweeteners may not carry the same calories as sugar, but for many of us it can trigger an eating frenzy just as much or more than sugar.
6. Watch your saturated and trans fats. These are not good for health and should be limited or avoided whenever possible.
7. Watch your sodium. Most people consume way too much sodium. I try to limit mine to 1200-1500 mg a day. Experiment with good quality spices (not the dollar store junk). I found it easy to have so much more chicken by simply changing the spices I use every time I cook. I've developed a fondness for turmeric, chili powder and Berbere.
8. Don't trust your eyes. Weigh, measure and track everything. Once I thought I knew what a portion was, I started to slack on measuring and tracking and started to lose ground. Tracking helped me recognize the problem and quickly take action.

Now as far as exercise, I never added in a formal program. As I lost weight, I have become more active around the house, doing yard work, walking, etc. Exercise will help you with toning, strength and overall health. It is not nearly as effective in helping you lose weight as one might expect. Choose activities that you enjoy doing and avoid the dread of going to the gym if that's not for you.

On WW, I have seen many reports from people that say they are no longer diabetic, got their A1C under control, reduced their cholesterol levels, etc. I never had sugar problems, but my cholesterol and blood pressure have improved. I don't deny myself any food but simply plan my eating around it. I also don't eat something that is "good" for me if I don't enjoy it or finish something that doesn't taste great, something I used to do. WW has put me on track for eating an anti-inflammation diet, something that became important for me health-wise after I started the program.

***Edited to add*** While I don't eat anything now that I don't like, it took me some time to learn to like things with little or no sugar or sodium. For example, I used to eat the sweet, fruit on the bottom full fat yogurt. Now I like Siggi's or Fage 0% fat, plain yogurt to which I add a bit of squeeze ginger and Penzey's Vietnamese Cinnamon, plus some fresh berries. Now I can't eat the sweet stuff. I used to like canned soups in the winter but now I can't eat them. Instead I make my own vegetable or chicken soup starting with the no sodium broths and then add a scant amount of salt plus other seasonings.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Father-in-law was just diagnosed diabetic in late spring - that led to a complete overhaul in his diet b/c they are trying to manage solely with diet. Managing by diet only, you do need to be incredibly strict as a diabetic, and follow the suggested plans to a T. My mother-in-law pretty much had the "processed carb purge" on the day after his diagnosis...then the frozen desserts purge the next day.

But, he's about 20lbs lighter and starting to get more mobile (he was unable to move much which precipitated the appointments) - so, even if you get a crappy diagnosis, sometimes that is the jumping off point to a better life. The day I finally got my cancer diagnosis, I finally had "the thing" that was making me feel so tired and crappy, and I learned what I could do with my lifestyle to improve myself - which I did and yes, it helped:).

That will do it. I talked a lot about heart disease in my post above, but diabetes is a major contributor to heart disease (and many other problems in the body), so it behooves you to try to now get your diabetes under control, and everything else I said will still apply. In addition to (relatively quickly) trying to lose some weight, you will now have to watch the carbohydrate content of the foods you eat, as those turn into sugar. Again, read labels and serving sizes, paying particular attention to sugars and carbohydrate content. Whole grains are your friends.

Type 2 diabetes, in a nutshell, means your body either isn’t making enough insulin (which carries sugar out of the blood) or that the insulin it does make isn’t working well. Having excess sugar in your bloodstream makes you feel pretty awful over time (like syrup), and has a negative effect on a lot of tissues in the body long term. Seeing a Nutritionist is a great first step. And again, awareness and concern are good things. 👍🏻 You can get your values down, but it will take some work. However, it’s a very worthwhile endeavor, so you can be around for your grandchildren some day, and able to run around with them, etc. I can assure you very much that you are not alone in this. So many people are affected today the same way. We have to really get our act together as a society, or the health of our future generations are doomed.

Last edited:
Portion control is a HUGE problem for me... especially when it's a food I like. Unfortunately, what I like is carbs... bread, pasta, rice, etc.
The doctor said "you have diabetes".

You are in exactly the same boat as my DH! (He got his diagnosis a couple of months ago.) So I can recommend some specifics now. We did a lot of trial and error (which can get expensive with specialty diet stuff) so here's a head start of products or recipes he has liked since we've switched over to this new lifestyle:

the Dave's bread he likes best

the one chickpea pasta he says he can't tell the difference with
(pro tip - Use way more water than you think you need! It makes a difference.)

"Egg Roll in a Bowl" recipe we love

Almond Flour! - I've been experimenting with this in recipes, coatings, etc. and really like it. Coconut flour tends to dry things out too much. Here's a bread recipe that uses it:
Garlic Knots

Best frozen treats! -
Yasso Bars
Our favorites so far are the mint chocolate chip, but we haven't really had one we didn't like.

If you have any specific questions for him, don't hesitate to PM me and I'll ask! He's been doing great with medication, diet, and exercise, and has already lost at least 25 pounds! He says "it doesn't hurt to walk up stairs any more."

You've got this!!

I needed to lose 25lbs years ago via Dr. orders. Best things I've learned.
- do not think "diet". Diets for the most part fail, b/c people view diets as a temporary thing and then the weight will come back. One must change their life style.
- I hate exercise, so joining a gym or buying equipment wouldn't be effective. I hired a personal trainer and then there was a monetary investment made. The trainer also thought me how to change my life to sustain the weight loss. If one goes back to eating/living pre-loss the weigh will just come back.
- be reasonable : off to Disney for a week? enjoy eat but realize that that would have to be balanced, maybe smaller portions, walking a bit more, etc...

We're not against any of it. We're being realistic. Is it better to say "we'll go to the gym 3 days a week!" and then fail? Or simply say "we don't have the will power to go to the gym, how do you do it"?

Honestly - what worked for me was
#1 joining the gym & paying the fee....and as some of us know, sometimes even that isn't enough get us to haul our butts off the couch, which brings me to:
#2 hire a personal trainer and make several appointments ahead of time for the trainer to work with you & your wife at the gym.

I found that having the accountability of pre-booking an appt. with the trainer motivated me a bit more. I might be lazy toward myself, but I didn't want to inconvenience another person after making appointments for their time!

As with all things, your mileage may vary. Good luck!

I don’t have the answer because your post describes me to a T. Like you, I wish I could figure it out. Good luck!

I have made one improvement - since the beginning of March, my friend and I have been walking on the indoor track at our community center two/three times a week. We walk for about 50 minutes each time.

The struggle is real. I gained about 20 pounds during the pandemic. Ugh.
Ugg, me too, well maybe 10 last year and 10 the year before.
My treadmill is coming next week!

I'm very self conscience about exercising in front of other people so I'm hoping I'll do better at home. I want to try to jog or run but outside I felt like everyone would watch me and laugh.

Pick a something to remove from your regular diet. Right now it’s frequently hot so soda switched to seltzer might be an answer. Same for fast food. Take a walk together early in the morning or early evening; great way to reconnect.
Pick something and just do it.
Sorry if this isn’t helpful.

I will give up all food before giving up my wine at the end of every night.
But, once I have that I want to eat and eat..... so trying to convince myself that I can drink a glass and not have to have cheese and beef stick to go with it everytime.

When DS went off to college in 2017, I decided it was time to focus on my health and lose some weight. My goal was to look and feel good for his graduation. I lost 80 pounds in about a year and a half, and have maintained it ever since. His graduation was last month, and my dress was four sizes smaller than what I wore when he started college!

As a previous poster said, weight loss is more about food that exercise. I decided to focus on my food intake first by using the Weight Watcher's program. Personally, I prefer volume of food over the type of food. I would rather have a lot of vegetables over a tiny slice of pizza. I focus on foods with one ingredient: chicken breast, salmon, rice, broccoli, apples. I add processed stuff (salad dressing, etc.) for flavor. Breakfast is usually egg whites, greek yogurt and fruit. Lunch is a salad with protein, lot of veggies and fruit. Dinner is protein, a grain and veggies. The only calories I drink are in sugar-free coffee creamer. Otherwise it's water and one diet soda a day (I need it for my sanity). I do not shun carbs. I've tried going low-carb and it just gives me headaches and brain fog but doesn't help me with weight loss. I can eat pretty much anything, but just watch the portions. I'll try a bite of something here and there, but that's usually enough. I've found that if I eat too much fat now, it will bother my stomach. I would rather feel good than eat something fatty. Even sugar tastes too sweet. I only eat small amounts of baked good for special occasions.

It might sound like a boring existence, but I feel so good about my weight loss and the way I look and feel now that it's worth it. I don't do any formal kind of exercise besides walking and trying to get some extra steps in wherever I can. I also try not to sit for long periods.

It's definitely a mental game. You have to be 100% ready to develop a new habit. You have to do it by and for yourself, not because someone else told you to do it. I started struggling with my weight after I had my kids. I lost weight many times, but it didn't stay off. This time feels different because I've actually changed my habits for the long haul. I don't see myself going back since this way of eating has just become automatic. It's not easy, but it can be done. Good luck!

Just be careful and not think you can do everything at the beginning.

I tried this over a week ago:

And of course it rolled and I hit a table and had a huge bruise on one leg and the hip on the other side is still hurting!

Guess I'm fearless but stupid to try that at 56.

:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter