Diet & Exercise

"Eating" should not mean "work" (portion control, logging, etc). If I see something I want, I want to eat it.
This might be your problem right here. Eating should mean work. It should mean buying meat and produce and preparing it, not just warming up a box. It should mean researching ingredients, tracking how specific foods make you feel, and adjusting. If you need to track calories, macros, etc it means tracking it.

Blindly eating as much of whatever you want is what got you here and it isn't going to get you where you need to be. I think an OP is right when they talked about a therapist. It sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with food, bad news, commitment to habits, or possibly all of it.

This diagnosis has put me in a bad mood (or a "not a good place" mood) for the last day or so. Yes, I know this is recoverable if I work at it. But I know me. I work on something for a little bit, then lose my motivation/desire. I don't have it in my head that I'll succeed at this. I don't know what it's going to take to get my mind in the right spot.

I'm hoping if/when I meet/talk with the nutritionist, I'll have a better understanding of what I can/should do. There have been a lot of good suggestions in the thread, and I've read every one of them. They are appreciated. As I said earlier, I'm feeling sorry for myself.

I have to say that, when I got the news that my A1C was higher than it should be, looking at the side effects of having diabetes was enough to get me to change my habits. Nothing about diabetes looks pleasant and it changed my habits quickly.

I don't think you necessarily need to feel hungry to eat better. If you "spend" your calories/carbs on things that you can eat more of (for instance, 15 grams of carbs is only 5 Hershey's kisses, but it's 3 cups of popcorn) you'll feel more full. And adding protein to your snacks keeps you feeling full longer than carbs do!

When I cut from 2500 calories (or more per day) down to 1500, I feel hungrier. It's just a fact of life for me. It doesn't matter if those 1500 calories are all protein, all complex carbs, or all junk, I'm hungry. In fact, I ate 1500 calories daily for the better part of year with some days in there that were more due to celebrations, going out, etc. and I never got past feeling hungry all the time. I don't mean "starving" but just aware of wanting more to eat and looking forward to my next meal. I'm never satiated at 1500 calories, my stomach apparently doesn't shrink. But I get used to it and it's fine, really.

Last edited:
It has been 10 months and i am down 42 pounds and my husband 40 ( we are in our fifties), doing this together and meal planning is what i truly believe is our success.
we wanted to be able to do something that was sustainable and still able to enjoy life.
For the first 6 months we learned the word "small" it seems as though everything we did involved the word large ( large drink, large fries, ect). We also didn't eat after six pm and made sure to have salads at least twice a week for dinner. We did not want to count calories or track food.
The meal planning is a big factor in sticking to it, when we come home from work and already know what we are having makes things much easier. ( saved a lot on grocery bills as well)
After the six month mark we started walking 3-4 times a week and now for the month of June we have been doing 10,000 steps a day and I am enjoying the challenge.
It has been slow coming off, but I guess I didn't gain it overnight either.
Wishing the best for anyone on this journey :)

The doctor was discussing what I shouldn't eat. She brought up fruit and I asked about watermelon (because I like it) and was told to stay away from it. Same with grapes and pineapple. Something to do with the natural sugars.
I think the doctor may have meant that there are better choices with fruits that have a lower glycemic index (those foods that raise your blood sugar higher and faster). But if you eat things you like, you’ll have better success with changing your diet. You just have to learn to manage the portion sizes. I know that seems tough right now, and you’d rather not have to think about it or deal with it. But it is one of those deals that you are eventually going to have to. It may be trial and error for a while. But it is something you can do. I think you probably need to give yourself some time to let this news settle in, then have a chat with yourself and your wife, and just say it’s something you’re going to work through, for yourself, your health, and your family.

I also think you may have a better feeling about things once you talk to the Registered Dietician. She or he may see things a little differently than the doctor does. I have seen a doctor tell a patient not to eat the Chobani yogurt they like for breakfast, whereas the RD said it was fine as included in a balanced diabetic diet, especially where it contains protein. A funny story from our own experience at the RDs. She was doing an assessment of DH’s diet and she asked him about what he typically ate for breakfast. I interjected saying I bought him oatmeal to eat at work. She asked him if he liked it, and he said no, he hated it! 😳 So she looked at me and said we have to get him eating the things he likes, but work to try to control the portion sizes. Turned out he and a coworker buddy were putting slices of Italian bread and butter in an oven at work for breakfast. (Hazards of working around food!) She asked if he could limit himself to just two small slices daily, and he said he could, and did. Win-win. I still try to get him to eat more whole grains and complex carbs (which have a lower glycemic index), but it’s not something he always does, and I realize I can’t micromanage everything he eats. I think many days now he buys a muffin with an unsweetened coffee on the way to work, as well as grabs a small banana on his way out the door. We do what we can. His clothes are falling off him so he is doing something right.

Many, many people are dealing with these same issues, take my word for it. It does suck to get news like this, but, like everything else in life, you just have to deal with it once the reality of it sets in. It may take time. One of the best things you can do for yourself, when you’re ready, Sam, is to just read some of the things I linked on WebMD and Healthline. I deliberately chose simple and well-written articles so you can learn the basics about diabetes without getting into a whole medical diatribe. Because learning the basic principles will allow and help you to eventually start to make better choices with food and movement. We’re here with you for the ride, too. :disrocks:

What? Are you allergic to watermelon? Are you an insulin-dependent diabetic?

you can eat a metric ton of watermelon and lose weight. It’s mostly full of water and fresh watermelon is about 46 cals per cup. Eat as much watermelon as you want. Even restricted diets usually have 1 cup of watermelon as 15g carbs.

Watermelon in the summer is the tool that gets me through weight loss. I eat a LOT of it. Not sure what the ramifications are for diabetics though.

This diagnosis has put me in a bad mood (or a "not a good place" mood) for the last day or so. Yes, I know this is recoverable if I work at it. But I know me. I work on something for a little bit, then lose my motivation/desire. I don't have it in my head that I'll succeed at this. I don't know what it's going to take to get my mind in the right spot.

I'm hoping if/when I meet/talk with the nutritionist, I'll have a better understanding of what I can/should do. There have been a lot of good suggestions in the thread, and I've read every one of them. They are appreciated. As I said earlier, I'm feeling sorry for myself.

You might have mentioned this and I missed it but is your wife on board with the changes? If she doesn't make the same, or similar, dietary choices as you it will be harder for you to stick with them. If she is having a 2lb serving of pasta sitting next to you instead of doing the changes with you it will be harder. One of the reasons we are able to eat pretty healthy is that my wife and I are on the same page. Even though she is a vegetarian that will also eat fish and I'm an omnivore we still have the same eating philosophy even if we eat different things.

I don't really believe in treating any specific diet as a religion but two philosophies I think are easy to follow, allow for a wide range of foods, and have cookbooks full of ideas are Mark Sisson's Primal series and Mark Hyman's Pegan Diet. Of course both require you to make a lot of your own meals and not order out or buy much pre-made.

Some books I own and use often (you may need to pick and choose specific recipies due to the diabetes issue):

Two Meals a Day
The Primal Kitchen Cookbook
Food: What the Heck Should I Cook
The Pegan Diet

and one I don't personally own but might be a good read:

The Blood Sugar Solution

I changed my diet and routine based on a health related issue, as well (slight calcium build up) and at first I was walking around convinced that I was going to drop dead of a heart attack at any given moment. It was an irrational fear but it was my fear!

After I got through that and started thinking rationally again I knew I wanted to make some changes and I really didn't make the change for me alone. I have a two year old grand daughter, a grandson on the way, and I wanted to be around and watch them grow up. That was all the motivation I needed. Perhaps you can find something similar that is "bigger than yourself" and use that as motivation. Don't want to be preachy but just offered that as something I went through and it worked for me.

Prior to this my lunch would have probably been a slice of pizza or a sub from the local pizza joint but today I had a few almonds, some avocado, a couple of olives and some gigandes beans with a big glass of water. And I enjoyed every bit of it! Tonight's dinner will be a small piece of salmon and asparagus on the grill.

And I eat like that most of the time so I can throw 2 racks of ribs on the Traeger tomorrow and have a mini feast without feeling bad. :)

You'll figure out what works for you and your family and I wish you the best!

My mom has diabetes. When she was diagnosed her primary doctors only advice was not to eat anything white. That was completely unhelpful to her. I’m sure you’ll get much better and more specific advice from the nutritionist. I’ve begged her to see one but she refuses, she just continues to eat terribly for her condition.

You might have mentioned this and I missed it but is your wife on board with the changes? If she doesn't make the same, or similar, dietary choices as you it will be harder for you to stick with them. If she is having a 2lb serving of pasta sitting next to you instead of doing the changes with you it will be harder. One of the reasons we are able to eat pretty healthy is that my wife and I are on the same page. Even though she is a vegetarian that will also eat fish and I'm an omnivore we still have the same eating philosophy even if we eat different things.

I don't really believe in treating any specific diet as a religion but two philosophies I think are easy to follow, allow for a wide range of foods, and have cookbooks full of ideas are Mark Sisson's Primal series and Mark Hyman's Pegan Diet. Of course both require you to make a lot of your own meals and not order out or buy much pre-made.

Some books I own and use often (you may need to pick and choose specific recipies due to the diabetes issue):

Two Meals a Day
The Primal Kitchen Cookbook
Food: What the Heck Should I Cook
The Pegan Diet

and one I don't personally own but might be a good read:

The Blood Sugar Solution
She is and is better at this mentally than I am. I had a (to me) partial serving for dinner last night (left over chicken & brussell sprouts) and half of a subway tuna protein bowl for lunch today. It's a start. :P

I have lost about 10-12 pounds since February. All I have been doing is trying to take a walk for an average of 60 minutes a day for the month. So if there are 30 days in a month I shoot for 1800 minutes for the month. So some days I am less then 60 minutes but I can make then up other days in the month.

I am also eating a bit better. I have lunch and dinner and don't make the portion sizes big. I still eat a package of Little Debbie Ho Ho's a day. I have had DQ a few times. My goal is not to cut everything out I like. If I do that it would never last. I just eat it in moderation. Since the pandemic started (well it started the February before it started) we have not really eaten out. We didn't it out at all until last July and then it was only about once a month or every other month and was never fast food. We are now comfortable eating out so we are desperate trying to not fall back into old habits. Before the pandemic we ate out once to twice a week. Sometimes more.

For me I am trying to lose slowly. 2 pounds a month is good. I am not depriving myself of foods I like and it feels sustainable. But those 2 pounds add up. On the path I am on I will lose about 24 pounds in a year.

I feel you. I too have diabetes but not on insulin.

I started with small steps. Reading labels really helps. Even measuring out portions are an eye opener. Over time you can eye ball it.

My number was always high in the morning so they told me to walk after supper . I did and the number went down and so it my weight. I never moved much, sat on the couch either watching tv or on the computer. That motivated to walk in the morning too .

My problem isn’t being hungry it’s habit . As soon as I sit in front of the TVs want chips, than think nope that’s not it and eat more. So now I don’t eat anything because I know it will open the flood gates.

I’m also bad at eating to fast , I could eat 2 hotdogs and feels like I didn’t eat anything, same as spaghetti. Have it for supper and an half hour I want something.

Everyone is different make small changes and just move when I started walking it was 15 minutes now it’s 30 minutes at night more in the morning. And my speed has picked up too.

Oh and not to bring things into the house is good but than I just started to eat another meal, like a peanut butter sandwich, cereal, etc.

After saying all that I have lost 60 pounds in the last 2 years.

Last edited:
My problem isn’t being hungry it’s habit . As soon as I sit in front of the TVs want chips, than think nope that’s not it and eat more. So now I don’t eat anything because I know it will open the flood gates.

I’m also bad at eating to fast , I could eat 2 hotdogs and feels like I didn’t eat anything, same as spaghetti. Have it for supper and an half hour I want something.
YES!

I told my wife, I wish I could find something (or more somethings) that is simply "all you can eat" that I can have as snacks. There's got to be something out there, doesn't there?

YES!

I told my wife, I wish I could find something (or more somethings) that is simply "all you can eat" that I can have as snacks. There's got to be something out there, doesn't there?

There really isn't unless it's celery, carrot, peppers etc. I've tried the popcorn route and I just end up eating a huge bag all to myself. I can't stop with that stuff.

There really isn't unless it's celery, carrot, peppers etc. I've tried the popcorn route and I just end up eating a huge bag all to myself. I can't stop with that stuff.
I actually had two bell peppers as a snack today. Celery I can do, especially if I'm allowed peanut butter on it. :)

I actually had two bell peppers as a snack today. Celery I can do, especially if I'm allowed peanut butter on it. :)

It is delicious that way, isn't it. Peanut butter is a calorie bomb---think hard before you have it as a snack. I tend to buy things that are somewhat good but not really good, so I don't overeat them. For instance, I buy the Yasso Fudge Bars (80 calories, no fake ingredients) or their small ice cream sandwiches. They satisfy my sweet tooth but they aren't so good that they trigger me to eat four of them. I can stop at one and get rid of the craving even though I don't love it. But if I open up a 1/2 gallon of Tillamook Ice Cream and try to eat a bowl of it, I cannot stop. I have a lot of foods like that which are so good to me that I can't stop eating them. Like Kettle Korn. OMG. So, while I still have sweets in the house, I don't buy the ones that are truly scrumptuous. I get by that way.

Yes you can have peanut butter with it , my peanut butter has 3 g of carbs in a tbsp . You are allowed 15 g for a snack with diabetes. Celery is a freebie. I’m in Canada so not sure what your measurement is in ours is grams.

Popcorn sends my sugar crazy. But you will have to test at the beginning to see what certain foods do to your sugar counts.

Hmm giving you want to eat without work there’s IF 16:8, the OMAD route, or 5:2. It’s a good jumpstart for the short term. Not a long term solution.

My suggestion OP, buy a magic bullet blender. Blend almond milk or water with berries. Add a scoop or 2 of Chai Seeds. Shake and drink. You’ll be full for hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter