Better than Visa Magic Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone will have a problem with the no longer valid codes. If you have a reservation and it confirmed it, your in. Do you really think these checkout clerks care what price your paying?? They care if you have a valid license, creditcard and if your returning the car full with gas or refueling thru them. My friend is a travel agent and she said that she has never encountered a special travel agent secret code to reward her for booking cars thru their company. I really think these codes started with visa promotions and that is why they include the insurance. My American Express has travel insurance if I book my tickets using my American express card. No code necessary--it just appears! Think about all the different visa cards out there!! What about the prepaid tolls that some rental car companies offer. Marketing tool? Do you tell them how many times your going to go thru the toll plaza? These rental companies definately are not losing money!

Some of the rental cars have EZ-Pass/Sunpass. Customers are charged the actual cost of the tolls plus a service fee. Some toll roads take a picture of the license plate and bill the rental company. A rental agency might charge actual tolls plus a service fee. Other rental agencies charge a higher fee and include tolls. I don't think anyone will run more tolls then the fee.

My understanding is the VISA promotion was intended for international VISA cards. The promotion was pulled when it was found the promotion was being used by US card holders.

I'll agree most of the checkout clerks aren't going to take the time to verify eligibility for the contract code the renter claimed they're entitled to use. Some of the experienced "deal shoppers" are forgoing using a coupon with these deals. They don't want to give the clerk a reason to be reviewing the reservation. That makes a lot of sense to me. I claim a AAA discount. My eligibility isn't checked when I make my reservation. I might be asked for my card when I pick up my car. No different with these "codes". Customers who list the code on their reservation are indicating they are entitled to use that code. The rental agency is allowed to verify that claim when you pick up your car.

That said there are reports on FT that clerks in Burbank aren't honoring reservations made with questionable codes. At least one poster on DIS has been asked, by the clerk, to see a passport. The code was limited to residents of Europe.

I agree the clerks in MCO are currently letting the reservations slide but there is no guarantee.

It wouldn't be that hard to just ask for proof if the rate includes insurance. Most of the codes that include insurance are corporate rates or promotions to international customers.

Posters on the deal site warn people not to rely on the included insurances, unless you're allowed to use the code. Agencies are checking eligibility when a claim is submitted.

I don't think anyone will have a problem with the no longer valid codes. If you have a reservation and it confirmed it, your in. Do you really think these checkout clerks care what price your paying?? They care if you have a valid license, creditcard and if your returning the car full with gas or refueling thru them. My friend is a travel agent and she said that she has never encountered a special travel agent secret code to reward her for booking cars thru their company. I really think these codes started with visa promotions and that is why they include the insurance. My American Express has travel insurance if I book my tickets using my American express card. No code necessary--it just appears! Think about all the different visa cards out there!! What about the prepaid tolls that some rental car companies offer. Marketing tool? Do you tell them how many times your going to go thru the toll plaza? These rental companies definately are not losing money!

Exactly how long did you think it was gonna take before National figured out that the code was no longer a secret and that they were giving away cars at 70% less than the normal rate?

Well it took them three months. Does that suffice as an answer?

My neighbor just got back from WDW and used National with a code found on this site. Upon arrival they told him it was an invalid code that they are clamping down on and charged him an additional $178. He tried other rental desks at the airport however they were all higher for a last minute rental thus unhappy went with National ....:mad:

I just found this on one of the other threads. This is what happens when they won't take the code.

I just found this on one of the other threads. This is what happens when they won't take the code.

So much for the posters who "guaranteed" National would have to honor reservations made with codes the customer isn't entitled to use.

It's easy to spot general public codes don't include the insurance or waive airport fees.

I just returned from Phoenix and I had no issues with my two week rental using the 67 code however I would imagine that most of these codes are being used at MCO so the attendants there may have been instructed to look for these reservations.

Sounds like they went to the counter. What about Emerald Aisle experiences going straight ot the exit booth.

Before everyone gets their undies in a bundle, it's not clear if the OP's friend used one of the "magic codes".

Before everyone gets their undies in a bundle, it's not clear if the OP's friend used one of the "magic codes".

Leaving aside the underwear reference:rolleyes1 , I think folks should think through for themselves what they want to do. There weren't many (if any) fantastic codes from National on these boards that weren't either TA or International traveler codes. If one is happy to roll the dice, roll. Not everyone, wants the risk of paying a ridiculous amount for a rental car (if their "magic" code is denied) when they could have booked a general public code for much less than the walk up rate. Beyond that, it's a very individual decision to shoulder the risk of all the insurance issues...many people don't want to and can't afford to pay whatever possible claim out of pocket. They need insurance that isn't questionable. I do understand some Disers have deep pockets, and money is no object to them. Not everyone falls into that category.

Leaving aside the underwear reference:rolleyes1 , I think folks should think through for themselves what they want to do. There weren't many (if any) fantastic codes from National on these boards that weren't either TA or International traveler codes. If one is happy to roll the dice, roll. Not everyone, wants the risk of paying a ridiculous amount for a rental car (if their "magic" code is denied) when they could have booked a general public code for much less than the walk up rate. Beyond that, it's a very individual decision to shoulder the risk of all the insurance issues...many people don't want to and can't afford to pay whatever possible claim out of pocket. They need insurance that isn't questionable. I do understand some Disers have deep pockets, and money is no object to them. Not everyone falls into that category.
I never said that people shouldn't think things through for themselves :confused3. All I'm saying is before people start panicking and others start singing the "I was right and you were wrong!" song (from the show "Bump in the Night" http://www.cs.utah.edu/~mflatt/bumpy/iwasright.html :happytv:) that we need more information. Oh, and a back-up reservation :rotfl:.

ETA: If you want a song to really get stuck in your brain then listen to the WAV of the "I was right ..." song:
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~mflatt/bumpy/song.html

There will be no 'I was right and you were wrong' posts here. I believe that the Transp. Board people are waaaay to nice to do that.

I never said that people shouldn't think things through for themselves :confused3. All I'm saying is before people start panicking and others start singing the "I was right and you were wrong!" song (from the show "Bump in the Night" http://www.cs.utah.edu/~mflatt/bumpy/iwasright.html :happytv:) that we need more information. Oh, and a back-up reservation :rotfl:.

Please know you'll never hear "I was right" from me. I just think there are folks that come to the DIS looking for safe, fair deals. They may not totally understand there is some financial risk with corporate codes...if one cannot prove eligibility. They probably aren't looking for slick deal/fatwallet/flyertalk "Don't call and ask about why this is so cheap!!!!!!!" kind of "deals" when they come to the DIS.

For those that are fully informed, they should do what they're comfortable with.

I agree! Think about all the National Car Rental locations across the USA and abroad. Do you really think they have the time or manpower to check each and every discount code that someone presents with?? At MCO they are so busy they rarely look at the car for any damage when you return it. I'm very surprised that with the high cost of gas that the rental car prices haven't dropped tremendously. Last year I made a reservation thru National trying to use a BJ's coupon--which I'm a member. It wouldn't accept the coupon and when I called they said, they had reached their coupon capacity for that location for that week--so does that mean everyone who tried to use a coupon (any coupon) was denied? No, if you had a confirmed reservation using a coupon, it was accepted. A lot of the visa cards have a perk that gives you rental car insurance, travel insurance, etc. for no additional cost if you charge the rental or flight to that card. I don't think it sends out a red flag if its included in the rate. How would these checkout clerks know what contracts have been established with numerous companies and their employees. This isn't the first time a good code has disappeared. I think its just capacity control! Just my opinion.

Credit card coverage rarely gives you rental agency coverage but rather provides their own coverage. This coverage won't be showns as being included in the rate charged by the rental company.

Rental agencies generally take the time to check drivers license, credit card and rental agreement. It wouldn't take that much time to ask for proof the renter is entitled to use a contract code that produced a very low rate and included insurance.

Frequently corporate rates that include insurance have higher rates then the rates we book because insurance is included, underage surcharges may be waived and rates in airports that normally aren't discounted as much as MCO are discounted.

Capacity control doesn't result in an agency refusing to honor existing reservations. Posters on FT report reservations made with questionable codes aren't being honored in Burbank and one poster reports a similar experience at MCO.

IA lot of the visa cards have a perk that gives you rental car insurance, travel insurance, etc. for no additional cost if you charge the rental or flight to that card. I don't think it sends out a red flag if its included in the rate. How would these checkout clerks know what contracts have been established with numerous companies and their employees. This isn't the first time a good code has disappeared. I think its just capacity control! Just my opinion.

I understand Lewisc that the rental insurance thru my visa won't show up on the rental reservation, but if I have an accident and have that perk on my visa that includes rental car insurance, it will kick in if I paid with that visa for the reservation. My home insurance agent told me that accepting car rental insurance from the car rental agency ensures that they are paid promptly for the claim or accident. If you decline this insurance, they must go thru your own insurance company which may take months to pay. Never had to file a claim for a rental car so I am curious how the system works. I will definately pay with my visa from now on just in case though!
In regard to the denials of the code at MCO and Burbank, if Burbank is anything like Long Beach, they have a total of 3 employees--1 inside, 1 outside booth and 1 doing returns. I suspect their was some other problem with those "reservations" other than the code. I'm not saying someone is lying, but having used the code twice in MCO in March and April, and once in Las Vegas and Long Beach in June with no questions or problems, and the many other success stories being reported from other sites, I think their is more behind the denials. Like I said before though, this isn't the first time a good code has disappeared.

I have a ressie with the 57 code with a coupon in Aug. @ MCO. National has told me 3 times the code is complimentary and ANYBODY CAN USE IT! So I have no problems using the code for my August rental. I called once and emailed 2 different customer service agents, and on all 3 accounts they all said the same thing. I also have it in writing twice from 2 customer service agents from Emerald Club.

My parents are at WDW now and used "57" at the Dolphin National rental counter and not one question was asked about it.:confused3

My parents are at WDW now and used "57" at the Dolphin National rental counter and not one question was asked about it.:confused3

:confused3 :confused3 Not sure what the confusion is....
Your parents were given a nice car. The counter didn't ask for any ID. They're pretty much home free.
If there is any problem...like an accident, their eligibility to receive a corporate code with "free" insurance will be carefully verified as a first step in the claim process. Should they be unable to verify, National may decline any claims. This isn't odd or unusual. Their next step might be to contact their private insurer. Their private insurer may be happy to pay, or after reviewing the details of the claim (and the specific reason for a denial) , they may leave the entire amount to the renter to pay.

This is basically a personal decision...everyone has different opinions on risk, cost, and the maximum amount they feel they can afford out of pocket. :flower3:

I just booked using the 77 code, great rate including insurance has anyone had any experience with this code. Any info is appreciated

I understand Lewisc that the rental insurance thru my visa won't show up on the rental reservation, but if I have an accident and have that perk on my visa that includes rental car insurance, it will kick in if I paid with that visa for the reservation. My home insurance agent told me that accepting car rental insurance from the car rental agency ensures that they are paid promptly for the claim or accident. If you decline this insurance, they must go thru your own insurance company which may take months to pay. Never had to file a claim for a rental car so I am curious how the system works. I will definately pay with my visa from now on just in case though!
In regard to the denials of the code at MCO and Burbank, if Burbank is anything like Long Beach, they have a total of 3 employees--1 inside, 1 outside booth and 1 doing returns. I suspect their was some other problem with those "reservations" other than the code. I'm not saying someone is lying, but having used the code twice in MCO in March and April, and once in Las Vegas and Long Beach in June with no questions or problems, and the many other success stories being reported from other sites, I think their is more behind the denials. Like I said before though, this isn't the first time a good code has disappeared.

Actually, when you live in NY and NY only it has to go through your primary insurance first and then the Visa protection kicks in to pay your deductable. Apparantly there is some law that precludes the Visa insurance from paying it in full for us. I only know this because we were in an accident with our rental car in FL in April and used our Visa card, the insurance through Visa was very nice and he expalined the process to me, sent me all the paperwork I needed and I filled it all out. Fortunately I didn't end up having to pay for anything as the person who hit us was issued a citation and their insurance picked up everything. But the protocallis your insurance first, then any deductable will eb covered by VIsa benefits if you live in NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter