Better than Visa Magic Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just called National and they told me in this exact way, "this code is a Travel Solutions complimentary code." Then I asked her if I need to be an employee of Travel Solutions and she said no. SHe asked me how I got the code and I told her from Travel Solutions??? She said I will have no problems using the code. I asked her about the insurance and she told me it was included.
I called National and got an email from National stating this code is "complimentary" and you DO NOT need to be an employee of Travel Solutions. How much more proof do I need???
I know I'm beating this topic into the ground...

Did you get the code from Travel Solutions? If you are so sure that you are allowed to use the code, why not be honest and say you got the code from a Disney Website?

Actually it's BCD Travel (parent company) but you have a good point, the code might be limited to the overseas subsidary.

It's not a public code, people use that code at their own risk. Some people are missing the point, there is nothing magic about some numbers, The numbers (code) represent something. A AAA rate, AAARP, employees of a specific company, employees of a TA.....An honest person might call and say something like I'm a member of AAA and COSTCO. Is there a discount available and how do I book it. as opposed to I tried these numbers at random (or I found these numbers on the web). I love the rate. Can you tell me what I have to say or do in order to qualify.

WOW!!! The morality police are out in full force!!!!

I don't really care if people want to rip off National by using a code they're not entitled to use but some DIS may not understand the consequences of using a code they're not entitled to use.

This code includes insurance. One poster, on FT, had an accident and was asked to verify their employment with TS. They told National they're not employed by TS and were then told National wasn't covering them under the waiver/insurance. It's not clear if cc coverage would apply. A person who has an accident should assume National will make sure you're eligible for that rate as part of the process of investigating the claim.

At least one office is asking for proof of eligibility before letting the customer leave with the car. A person should be prepared for the possibility that Orlando decides to enforce the terms and you may be one of the first to experience the new policy.

Again I don't care if DIS want to rip off National but I care that DIS understand what's going on. I care that a few posters are trying to twist what National is telling them. Complimentary doesn't mean available to the public. I got the code from TS means Travel Solutions told you the code applies to you.

Again--I think I can get away with it is fine attitude is fine (in that you're not misleading other posters and you're not kidding yourself into thinking you're special because you found some numbers on the web) with me but don't try to convince other DIS that it's OK to use the code and there can't be any consequences from misuse of the code.

Several posters have asked in this thread and several others if one had to show ID and/or a passport or other requirement for various contract IDs. I shared my experiences with National at MCO and other locations, where I did have to show my passport and/or other affiliation ID.

I can tell someone here my contract ID, but under the terms of the National agreement, only those who work with me would be covered in case of accident.

There are readers who understand that risk and are therefore seeking specific information in order to make an informed decision.

Intentionally misleading them and telling them that 'it's fine' to use a code to which they are not entitled is frankly antisocial behaviour.

It has nothing to do with morality, but rather with facts.

So, one member got an email from National saying that it is okay to use the code, another member here got an email from National saying that the code is only for employees of TQ. Hmmmm....and people trust what some $8 per hour phone employee is telling them or emailing them?

So, one member got an email from National saying that it is okay to use the code, another member here got an email from National saying that the code is only for employees of TQ. Hmmmm....and people trust what some $8 per hour phone employee is telling them or emailing them?
Tracys2cents, you summed it up perfectly. :thanks:

Intentionally misleading them and telling them that 'it's fine' to use a code to which they are not entitled is frankly antisocial behaviour.
Antisocial? Give me a break. People are simply giving their opinions on whether the code is valid or invalid to use. You are certainly entitled to your opinion that the we DISers are not eligible to use the code, but those who feel otherwise and voice own own opinion are anything but "antisocial".

I will be using the *67 code next month and I don't have any qualms about using it.

WOW!!! The morality police are out in full force!!!!

Nope, no morality police...just some who want to be absolutely sure that others understand that a code may not be applicable to them. As long as everyone understands that, fine. I personally don't care if someone uses a code they are not really entitled to...I don't care one whit if they use it successfully or are told they can't get their car with that code and have to pony up more money. What I DO care about is that people on this board get concise and clear info. Just because someone says they were able to use a code does not automatically mean that everyone will be able to. People need to have all the info and facts and then make their own choices.

Antisocial behaviour? Well...perhaps a bit overstated. But, that is one person's opinion, which they are entitled to. No one called any specific person antisocial...if that had happened, then I would be a tad miffed.

I'd like to throw out something from another angle....the technology angle.

National is a business. National has an IT department who creates and maintains their website.

If there is a restriction on a code that can be legally upheld, it would not be very difficult for National to have a warning show up when the code is entered stating that restriction. Something like "You must provide ID from such and such a company at the time of rental". They do it for coupons that need to be printed. Marriott does it if you use a AAA rate or a Senior citizen rate. It's basic web development. So I don't think we should feel too bad for National who has chosen not to build restrictions into its reservation system which competing companies and other travel companies have done for this exact reason. If they tell you there is an ID restriction they can stop you at the gate and you have no argument.

I firmly believe that if there were a restriction on the code then it is up to National to inform their customers of this restriction. Like it or not, information is out there on the internet so they should certainly expect that this information can be found and they should have a process in place to deal with it.

Before anyone makes an assumption, I traveled for a living for 9 years so I rented lots of cars and used lots of codes for cars and hotels and if I need ID I make sure I'd have proper ID. I don't remember if I sign the contract or not on the way out - I'd assume I'd signed something. I would love to see what the rental contract says to find out if there is anything in there about agreeing that the rate that I reserved was a rate I was eligible for. Does anyone have that?

Before the morality police steps in....I used the code that was 'complimentary' without ID needed for my Executive Emerald Aisle rental coming up in November. Without this rate, I would not have been able to fly for this trip so it is worth the potential aggrevation if the gatekeeper at TPA (where I am flying into) gives me trouble. There is absolutely nothing on my reservation indicating that I cannot use this and I used it in good faith as complementary means to me that it is extended as a courtesy. Some may not feel it is worth the aggrevation but for me it is. I have every intention of leaving that airport with an executive aisle car at the rate I reserved - with my reservation in hand showing no restrictions.

You're giving the IT dep't at National too much credit. A few years ago they were issue duplicate reservation numbers to different customers. My MCO reservation was coming up as an LAX reservation to a different customer. I did a cut and paste from my confirmation, to make sure I didn't have an issue with an 0 vs O. After going through several CSRs, who thought I was crazy, I spoke to someone in the data processing department. He was surprised. He thought they had pulled all the duplicate reservations out of the system but they missed my reservation.

The only person who should even have the number is a person who's authorized to use it. National has a right to assume customers won't be inputting random numbers.

The question is if it's worth the time and money it would take to change the system. I guess they could just put a generic disclaimer in bigger print. Something like all discounts are subject to verification at the time of pickup.

Complimentary means free it doesn't mean necessarily mean it's available to the public.

I made a reservation and used the COSTCO code. Other people make a reservation using AAA or an employer negotiated rate. The point is most people know the basis of the code they use. An explanation like "people on the internet" said this number gives us good rates won't hack it. The burden is on the customer to make sure they qualify for whatever rate discounts they claim.

I suspect National will let the reservations go, although some airports are starting to require documentation.

I don't feel bad for National but I don't want to feel bad if a DIS believes some of the posters who think it's a legit rate and aren't prepared to assume the risk inherent in using this code.

National is a business. National has an IT department who creates and maintains their website.

If there is a restriction on a code that can be legally upheld, it would not be very difficult for National to have a warning show up when the code is entered stating that restriction. Something like "You must provide ID from such and such a company at the time of rental". They do it for coupons that need to be printed. Marriott does it if you use a AAA rate or a Senior citizen rate. It's basic web development. So I don't think we should feel too bad for National who has chosen not to build restrictions into its reservation system which competing companies and other travel companies have done for this exact reason. If they tell you there is an ID restriction they can stop you at the gate and you have no argument.

I firmly believe that if there were a restriction on the code then it is up to National to inform their customers of this restriction. Like it or not, information is out there on the internet so they should certainly expect that this information can be found and they should have a process in place to deal with it.

Before anyone makes an assumption, I traveled for a living for 9 years so I rented lots of cars and used lots of codes for cars and hotels and if I need ID I make sure I'd have proper ID. I don't remember if I sign the contract or not on the way out - I'd assume I'd signed something. I would love to see what the rental contract says to find out if there is anything in there about agreeing that the rate that I reserved was a rate I was eligible for. Does anyone have that?

Before the morality police steps in....I used the code that was 'complimentary' without ID needed for my Executive Emerald Aisle rental coming up in November. Without this rate, I would not have been able to fly for this trip so it is worth the potential aggrevation if the gatekeeper at TPA (where I am flying into) gives me trouble. There is absolutely nothing on my reservation indicating that I cannot use this and I used it in good faith as complementary means to me that it is extended as a courtesy. Some may not feel it is worth the aggrevation but for me it is. I have every intention of leaving that airport with an executive aisle car at the rate I reserved - with my reservation in hand showing no restrictions.

National doesn't need to warn you of anything. You verify your eligibility for the rate and your acceptance of their terms of service when you sign/click. You probably will leave with nice, shiny car. :thumbsup2 Now, for you the dollar savings are worth the risk. That's your choice. We all have different risk tolerance, and some folks certainly can easily afford to pay a claim out of pocket. Some can't, though, and those are the folks who need the information to decide whether or not they are comfortable with this corporate code. Should there be an accident, if a renter can't verify their relationship with TQ3 they'll at best be on shaky ground. You understand that, and are OK with that.

There are other folks who come to the DIS who don't really understand the risk of using a corporate code with insurance when they aren't eligible for it. That's the person who would benefit from the discussion.

There are other folks who come to the DIS who don't really understand the risk of using a corporate code with insurance when they aren't eligible for it. That's the person who would benefit from the discussion.

Thanks lily for saying that much better than I apparently did! ;)

I realise that pretty much everyone here IS trying to be helpful, either by sharing discounts or by sharing cautions. It is up to the reader to decide if they feel comfortable booking a rate.

National doesn't need to warn you of anything. You verify your eligibility for the rate and your acceptance of their terms of service when you sign/click.

I am not being fecicious - so in case it reads wrong, I am sincere...

Where do I verify my eligibility for a rate and acceptance when I click? The OP put in a wrong number and that is how she got this rate. She had no reasonable expectation she put in a wrong rate.

Also, complementary means free - fine. ALL of the codes are FREE aren't they? There is no charge to use a code so that definition doesn't make sense.

I agree that people should be aware of the possible risks but I don't actually agree that these necessarily are risks. If I enter into a binding contract both sides have to agree to terms - they have to provide those terms for me to agree with them. If there is verbage in the terms that says I verify that I am eligible to use the rate I reserved then yes they have notified me. But if they don't make me agree by clicking, checking or signing that I am eligible for the rate then it is THEIR responsibility to inform me of that before I pull of the lot with their car.

Where do I verify my eligibility for a rate and acceptance when I click? The OP put in a wrong number and that is how she got this rate. She had no reasonable expectation she put in a wrong rate.

Also, complementary means free - fine. ALL of the codes are FREE aren't they? There is no charge to use a code so that definition doesn't make sense.

I agree that people should be aware of the possible risks but I don't actually agree that these necessarily are risks. If I enter into a binding contract both sides have to agree to terms - they have to provide those terms for me to agree with them. If there is verbage in the terms that says I verify that I am eligible to use the rate I reserved then yes they have notified me. But if they don't make me agree by clicking, checking or signing that I am eligible for the rate then it is THEIR responsibility to inform me of that before I pull of the lot with their car.

I believe you're sincere. :goodvibes In your case, when you joined the Emerald Club, you agreed to their terms of service. When you rent, that agreement is in force. They do specifically mention using rates one isn't eligible for, by the way. It's not up to them to prove your eligibility, it's up to you.
The big clue with the input error is the inclusion of the insurance. That's absolutely not standard for your average renter, and credit card companies specifically tell you to decline the insurance.

You can still keep an eye at Mousesavers for any general public deals that might be available. You may find a rate you like that would avoid even needing to think about what might happen. Good luck to you. Here's a little something from one DISer to another: pixiedust:

I truly believe that the majority of posters here are sincere and only wish to help out others.
As for having to verify whether or not you can use a particular code...I would assume that if I want to use a BJ's code, I would think I would have to show some form of ID that proves me eligible.
I'm sure there are lots of 'complimentary' codes out there, that apply to only certain segments of the population. Although you may be able to plug in the code when you book your reservation, you may have to show proof of eligibility when you pick up the car. You may not...but you may have to.

So, is this code, either the 57 or 67, eligible for anyone to use? Don't know, not for sure. Would I use it? Probably not but I'm a bit of a wuss, and don't want to have any problem renting my car. I just use the codes I know I can use. What others do is up to them.

I have used the better than magic code 4 times (once in March in Orlando, once in April in Orlando, Once in Long Beach, CA in June and once in LasVegas in June) with no problems. There are a million code combinations out there. One time I was playing around and ended up finding a code that gave me a $12.00 for the whole week rental. Did I use it---NO. It sounded too good to be true. I think people are looking too deeply into this issue. National is in the business to rent cars. Now with the price of gas the competition is more towards the "gas efficient" rental cars. In LasVegas, we ended up getting a hummer on the Emerald Aisle. Why, probably because of the gas prices (even though it wasn't that bad) being over $4 a gallon. The aisles in Orlando, Long Beach and LasVegas were loaded with vans, suv's, etc. when we visited. I don't think this is a moral issue. If it was a loss to the company, they would of discovered it months ago. Just my opinion!

It would be nice if the quote showed the name of the contract ID to verify in case you do enter one wrong. I think that confirmations sometimes show coupon names (Entertainment, etc) but don't remember seeing the contract ID listed??

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter