Antigen Test at Shoppers?

springsteenmickey

WDWWDS Forever!
Every time I call my local Shoppers to make an appointment for my antigen screening (only $40 bucks), they ask me what I need the test for.

When I say to travel to the US, they tell me that I have to opt for the PCR test ($199 instead).

Are they just trying to upsell me? Or is the antigen screening no good? 🤷

Everything I have read says PCR. The antigen one(s) are not good for flights across the border. I do not know about land crossings.

Every time I call my local Shoppers to make an appointment for my antigen screening (only $40 bucks), they ask me what I need the test for.

When I say to travel to the US, they tell me that I have to opt for the PCR test ($199 instead).

I'm pretty sure rapid antigen is accepted to get into the US, and Canadians have posted here on the DIS that they've successfully used the $40 test from Shoppers. Rapid Antigen is what we're planning to use as well and the clinic we're going to said they've done lots of them for travellers to the US without any issues. Unfortunately in BC we don't have the $40 tests at Shoppers available to us so we have to pay $129 at a private clinic. PCR or NAAT is required to get back into Canada though, rapid antigen is not accepted.

Edited to add link.
testing-international-air-travelers.html

Last edited:
The $40 Shopper's antigen test is absolutely fine to use to enter the US ( if it's available near you, ON and AB only). We live in Saskatchewan and will be driving to Alberta for the test the day before our flight. Results are given to you right then and there with a paper copy for documentation as well. Then to get back into Canada you need a PCR test. Available for free at Walgreens ( drive through, so we are renting a car for the day. $80, but much better than the $600 it would be for our family of 4 elsewhere. Plus we want to drive to Huntington beach anyways for our off day. Results are typically back around 24 to 30 hours based on my research.) Worst case scenario, if it's not back, we test at LAX before the flight back and eat the cost of testing. 1 hour PCR results there for $150. But we'll take our chances first with a free test.

Minnie84 is right from what I can see. I assumed the test had to be the same types going both ways but I just did some more reading. If you are flying I would recommend getting in touch with the airline and asking them just in case.

We used the $40 rapid test from Shoppers to fly from Toronto to LAX today. Not a problem. My experience with Shoppers is that it is very new and they do not know much about the travel requirements.

Hey all - I created this thread specifically to try to clarify all the (admittedly) confusing rules around testing. It covers most if not all of those questions:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...ir-travel-to-u-s.3847415/page-7#post-63270266
Bottom line is my wife (and DD) flew last month to the US - tested six times total for the two of them - once before their flight out, once in the US to fly back, and then at home after arrival (that one is mostly gone).

By using the $40- Shoppers Rapid Antigen - which is clearly accepted for fights to the US as per the CDC guidelines, and the free Walgreens NAAT Rapid ID Now for the return home (which is accepted by Canada) their total cost for testing for two people was $80- CAN.

Of course, availability of those particular tests vary by region, and of course finding open appointments. They were in Nashville, and it was easy there.

Hope this helps ...

Thanks for all of this info, everybody! If things are still status quo come November (we're going for 4-days to Disneyland, from BC) we'll do the rapid antigen, hopefully by then at Shoppers here (I've sent a comment via the link provided here).

Question though for the PCR return - has anyone taken an Uber to Walgreens or CVS for their drive-up testing? Are Uber allowed to take you through or, do you need to be driving your own vehicle?

We are booked at Shoppers this Tuesday for antigen tests for travel to US, though it seemed like I was telling them it was acceptable for travel to the US, I agree it seemed kind of new to them.

Bottom line is my wife (and DD) flew last month to the US - tested six times total for the two of them - once before their flight out, once in the US to fly back, and then at home after arrival (that one is mostly gone).

By using the $40- Shoppers Rapid Antigen - which is clearly accepted for fights to the US as per the CDC guidelines, and the free Walgreens NAAT Rapid ID Now for the return home (which is accepted by Canada) their total cost for testing for two people was $80- CAN.

Of course, availability of those particular tests vary by region, and of course finding open appointments. They were in Nashville, and it was easy there.

Hope this helps ...

When you booked your test at Walgreens, what did you put for your address? When I looked at their website they only have options for US addresses.

Is it really free? That seems hard to believe, I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just really surprised! I was planning on going to the Anaheim City Hall testing site, but I wouldn't mind saving 700 or 800 bucks!

When you booked your test at Walgreens, what did you put for your address? When I looked at their website they only have options for US addresses.

Is it really free? That seems hard to believe, I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just really surprised! I was planning on going to the Anaheim City Hall testing site, but I wouldn't mind saving 700 or 800 bucks!
Just use your hotel address. Many Canadians have used Walgreens both in Anaheim and Orlando, as well as other non Disney locations. And yes, it is free, even for Canadians. Current PCR turn around is 24 to 30 hours (Anaheim), so just make sure you go at 72 hours before your flight to give a little wiggle room. Or in Orlando you can get the NAAT test with results within the same day. One thing to note is they are all drive through testing locations, so you can rent a car for 1 day or try and take a taxi. No need to pay hundreds of dollars for your test. They are all going to the same handful of labs to be processed. Why pay $150 a test for no reason. Don't contribute to the "cash grab" of covid testing.😂

Just use your hotel address. Many Canadians have used Walgreens both in Anaheim and Orlando, as well as other non Disney locations. And yes, it is free, even for Canadians. Current PCR turn around is 24 to 30 hours (Anaheim), so just make sure you go at 72 hours before your flight to give a little wiggle room. Or in Orlando you can get the NAAT test with results within the same day. One thing to note is they are all drive through testing locations, so you can rent a car for 1 day or try and take a taxi. No need to pay hundreds of dollars for your test. They are all going to the same handful of labs to be processed. Why pay $150 a test for no reason. Don't contribute to the "cash grab" of covid testing.😂

That's amazing, thanks so much for the info! You just saved me a bundle!

Has anyone used Walgreens or CVS in Anaheim? CVS says results are 1-2 days - has that been the experience? We have to test Saturday morning for a flight Monday evening, just wondering if the weekend complicates things. I also don’t see any Walgreens in the area that does these tests.
Just CVS or the Anaheim city hall which comes at a cost of course.

For those who have gotten the test at Shopper's, how far in advance are you able to book an appointment. I believe Walgreens is only a few days in advance but not sure for Shoppers.

For those who have gotten the test at Shopper's, how far in advance are you able to book an appointment. I believe Walgreens is only a few days in advance but not sure for Shoppers.
You'd need to contact your specific Shoppers. The one near me doesn't take appointments so we are walking in. I called to see and they told no appointments necessary and sent my husband in to checka few days later cause I didn't trust the answer and they said the same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter