Adult only restaurants...dare I suggest it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully, I don't see this as being opposite.

My husband and I are still a "family" and we should have a place to be together and enjoy each other's company.

I do not have a family. When I'm out eating at WDW it is with friends. And we'd like that, too. Really, you do not HAVE to have a family to enjoy WDW.

TDC Nala said:
I do not have a family. When I'm out eating at WDW it is with friends. And we'd like that, too. Really, you do not HAVE to have a family to enjoy WDW.

I completly agree with you.

My point was that sometimes people only view a family as mom/dad/2-3 kids.

A family can vary from that to young marrieds, empty nesters, bf and gf, commited partners, and in many cases a core group of friends that function as a support system for one another.

I was just stating (maybe not so eloquently) to respect other family UNITS, even if do not have the traditional mom/dad/kids dynamic.

Oh, and after reading I realized there are many other types of families I didn't list (single parents, grandparents raising children, foster parents, etc.)

As I hope you can tell, I'm pretty open-minded about this, I wasn't attempting to list ALL types of families (that would be impossible, and every "family" is unique in its own way)

I was just saying: please don't discount my "family" because we do not have any children.

BTW in college I would have considered my best friends my family in a more functional sense than my family of origin for that stage of my life, and know many adults who feel this way, so I know how frustrating it can be to not have that honored by society.

That being said, hope your stay with your friends is wonderful!

There's nothing worse than going out to dinner with kids and having a party of adults-only seated next to you. Sometimes it isn't a problem...they can look back and remember fondly, I guess. Most of the time you have to sit there listing to and watching them humph and groan every time one of the kids makes a noise. I had one old battle-ax go off because my 4 year old dropped a knife: as if he did it just to bother her.

I'd love for there to be a place for people who've never had children...or who had them so long ago that their memories of the truth have been replaced by a fantasy of having raised perfect children, or who arranged their lives so the children were compartmentalized and were never involved in things like vacations and dining out.

It would be a great joy for families to not have to deal with these types of people!!!!

Let me see if I get this right.... Someone, in this case Newyawker, posts the suggestion of an adults only restaurant. He/she posts the suggestion, being very up front in his/her opinion, then gets attacked by people who stop just short of calling him/her "anti-child".
Now, people are taking this subject so personally that they are suggesting...

lntsmom said:
I'd love for there to be a place for people who've never had children...

It would be a great joy for families to not have to deal with these types of people!!!!

The only question I have for all of you whom have taken offense to such a thought... why would you? If you enjoy spirited debate, great, then read and reply. If you are actually offended, go read something else.

Oh, before we forget, why are people who are offended (mostly people with kids) reading and posting on the "Adults and Solo Travelers" board. Aren't there about 20 other boards to read. You all have too much time to troll this board, now go... your kids need you!

P.S. We actually love kids :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

such as yourself...I wasn't calling anyone here anti-child. What I'm saying is, I fully agree, there should be a place for people who don't want to be around kids to be with adults only. If you think it's no picnic for you to have to deal with children, let me assure you, it is even less enjoyable for those of us who have young children to have to deal with people who don't want to be around them.

As to calling me a troll, I'm tempted to use my 4 year old's comments about rubber and glue. I didn't realize that this board was only for those who can't or won't reproduce. I thought perhaps it was a place for single parents, too.

Since you seem unable to accept that you child-free folk aren't the only ones who would appreciate an adults-only concept, I will wander myself on over to the other boards. If only staying away from folks with your attitude while at Disney itself were so easy!!!

lntsmom said:
There's nothing worse than going out to dinner with kids and having a party of adults-only seated next to you. Sometimes it isn't a problem...they can look back and remember fondly, I guess. Most of the time you have to sit there listing to and watching them humph and groan every time one of the kids makes a noise. I had one old battle-ax go off because my 4 year old dropped a knife: as if he did it just to bother her.

I'd love for there to be a place for people who've never had children...or who had them so long ago that their memories of the truth have been replaced by a fantasy of having raised perfect children, or who arranged their lives so the children were compartmentalized and were never involved in things like vacations and dining out.

AMEN!!! How about a dining choice for adults with children only? :wave2:

NewJerseyDVCMembers said:
Let me see if I get this right.... Someone, in this case Newyawker, posts the suggestion of an adults only restaurant. He/she posts the suggestion, being very up front in his/her opinion, then gets attacked by people who stop just short of calling him/her "anti-child".
Now, people are taking this subject so personally that they are suggesting...

The only question I have for all of you whom have taken offense to such a thought... why would you? If you enjoy spirited debate, great, then read and reply. If you are actually offended, go read something else.

Oh, before we forget, why are people who are offended (mostly people with kids) reading and posting on the "Adults and Solo Travelers" board. Aren't there about 20 other boards to read. You all have too much time to troll this board, now go... your kids need you!

P.S. We actually love kids :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Are you like the thread god? :confused3

No one is calling you a "troll"... perhaps you may wish to review the definition... include your children, dining is not the only experience to be shared with your family. :rotfl2:

troll [ trōl ]

verb (past and past participle trolled, present participle troll·ing, 3rd person present singular trolls)

Definitions:

1. transitive and intransitive verb drag baited line through water: to fish by dragging a baited line through water, or from the back of a boat moving slowly

2. transitive and intransitive verb troll in one area: to troll a particular area, or for a particular type of fish

3. transitive verb look for something: to attempt to find something ( informal )
trolled through the job ads

4. intransitive verb U.K. amble along: to walk casually

5. transitive and intransitive verb wander around searching for somebody: to wander around a particular area or place, especially in search of a sexual partner ( slang )

Oh and yes we are the thread gods... can you here the thunder??? Or is that the kids jumping on the beds upstairs??? :rotfl2:

NewJerseyDVCMembers said:
Oh, before we forget, why are people who are offended (mostly people with kids) reading and posting on the "Adults and Solo Travelers" board. Aren't there about 20 other boards to read. You all have too much time to troll this board, now go... your kids need you
I would imagine most parents who ended up here were not trolling the board, but likely did so the same way I did: Paging down the main page (the one that lists all the boards), where the title of this thread showed up as the most recent post. It caught my eye, so I opened it up and read it. :rolleyes2

And I can assure you, we wouldn't be here if our kids needed us right now. What about you? Doesn't your boss need you? :rolleyes2

I still do not get the point of taking this extremism this far. I have seen such exaggeration on here that I am amazed.

I think the suggestion of an adults only restaurant is great and I don't see how it was misconstrued into being an anti-child, anti-WDW, anti-Walt thing. It is truly none of those things.

When I go to WDW, of course, I expect to see kids. I've seen some well-behaved and adorable kids who were fun to be around- like when DBF and I went to Disney Quest and were put on the Pirates ride with a family of three. The little girl (abt 6 yo) taught us to play, gave us hints, coached us and high fived us when we won. It was adorable!

Yet, it would still be nice to get dressed up, go out to a nice place and be among our own dynamic for a night. Just like I enjoyed being with our tablemates on the Cruise, but was still happy to get away and have a romantic, slow, quiet meal at Palo. (very different than an evening at a bar, so that suggestion is silly, IMO) I don't see how anyone could be offended by that desire. In fact, I'm surprised that more parents don't support the idea of getting an adults only place in that would give free childcare like Shula. I know that my brothers and sisters in law chomp at the bit to get my and my DBF to watch the kids any time we even mention it!

Some restaurants that I assumed to be adults only, aren't. I always thought V and A's was. If I saw a 14 year old or older in there, I wouldn't be too surprised, but a 6 year old? Definitely! I just think it's an adult experience. Just like the Pirates Cruise or the My Disney Girl Tea is a child's experience. Let me ask you- could I go to either of those as a 25 year old without a child? And if I did wouldn't the parents look at me as if I were out of my mind? That's the way some adults feel about the adult-oriented restaurants like V and A's and Shula. Thus the idea of creating another restaurant that simply only permits adults.

Why is the idea of one restaurant that won't permit children to dine, so threatening to some? I just don't get why the existance of that one establishment would offend them so much?

AnaheimGirl said:
And I can assure you, we wouldn't be here if our kids needed us right now. What about you? Doesn't your boss need you? :rolleyes2

We are the Boss! Daycare Owners.... Just kidding!!! But we really are the boss! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

As a mother of one and one on the way, I think that a kidsfree restaurant is a good idea. I love my daughter and I believe that she is the most precious,intelligent, beautiful beings that has ever been created.But I also know that everyone does not see her the same way as I do. My DH and I are older parents (38 and 45) and enjoyed many years as childless adults. We have been in restaurants and even plays,shows etc, where a child has had a meltdown or just being a normal child (chattering away during a show) has ruined an evening out.We do have restaurants here that have adult only dining rooms and then a family dining room,maybe that is what WDW should do with some of their more upscale restaurants? As a parent, I dont see why anyone would take offense to having a dining experience targeted strictly for an adult anyway.

But, I also dont believe my child has the same rights as an adult, you will never see her in any hot tub that says no children and I would never let my child run wild without supervision. I don't believe that she has the right to be everywhere an adult is and I also believe that there are certain people who just think that their child should be able to do anything the parents want to do, like they are somehow "entitled" or that the world owes them (I am not referring to anyone on here, just to people I have seen in public in general.)

cstraub said:
AMEN!!! How about a dining choice for adults with children only? :wave2:

Okay, I don't really understand why this is so threatening. Wouldn't parents love a place to go for a quiet evening if they decided to take one night out of seven or ten to have a "date" night? Single people or married couples with no children (such as myself) cannot be the only ones who feel this way (as many parents on the board have said). No one is saying all restaurants should be this way or several, but just one or two (maybe V&A and a lower priced alternative), maybe even only for limited hours. A fancy sit down restarant is not a young child's favorite place anyway. (Before you argue, think back to how appealing the playground at McDonald's was).

I hope if I ever come to Walt Disney World (when I am a parent in the future) we will be afforded such an opportunity if we decide to utilize the childcare and take a night to enjoy each other. (And keeping our marriage in good health WILL be the best thing for any children we have. Believe me, as a child of divorce).

And in this distant future we will enjoy the other 199+ restaurants on the property with our (hypothetical) children.

AnaheimGirl said:
I would imagine most parents who ended up here were not trolling the board, but likely did so the same way I did: Paging down the main page (the one that lists all the boards), where the title of this thread showed up as the most recent post. It caught my eye, so I opened it up and read it. :rolleyes2

That is exactly how I found the thread. I always click on the "New Posts" link and read from that list v/s reading each board individually. I feel free to respond to a post in any board except for the teen/college boards. I know that any input I may have for them would go in one ear and out the other!

"Oh, before we forget, why are people who are offended (mostly people with kids) reading and posting on the "Adults and Solo Travelers" board. Aren't there about 20 other boards to read. You all have too much time to troll this board, now go... your kids need you!

P.S. We actually love kids :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:"

This is the most mean-spirited and most exclusionary in tone that we have had in this 20 page thread. We've had strong feelings, defensiveness on both sides of the debate, but this is sarcastic and mean. Distinctly - UN-Disney...

Too bad, NJ.. I was actually very impressed to see so many civil posts to NYawker's OP..by demeaning all DIS'er's, you give us a clue about yourself.

I have to say I don't understand why so many seem to be threatened by the addition of an adults-only place at Disney World. It's not as if (as far as I can tell) anyone here is advocating taking away a restaraunt that is currently inclusive of all patrons, so that so-and-so and their children would no longer be allowed to go to California Grill or anything.

I haven't been to WDW since I was 14 --- 12 years ago --- but I seem to remember that at the time either Pleasure Island itself was adults-only or that there were far more places that had age restrictions on them. In this sense, adults have actually had so-called refuges taken away from them.

Granted, when adults sans-children book a vacation to WDW it is foolish to not take into account and accept the fact that children will be present, I don't see at all how it is unreasonable to hope for or --- brace yourself --- expect a place of refuge aside from a loud bar or your hotel room if you are a childless adult.

I love children of all ages, otherwise I'd not be a teacher, but I don't see how this has exploded into such a sensitive topic!

perge33 said:
"Welcome to Disney's [insert name] restaurant. We believe that 'WDW is for everybody,' so please get your kids out of here."

WDW is indeed for parents and non-parents alike. But if unruly children are the problem, why not advocate more attention on Disney's part to those parents who don't control their children? Or is the problem even the well-behaved ones? I have been bothered by unruly groups of adults in restaurants-- I don't see the logic in leaving them alone but excluding ALL kids, no matter how well-seasoned in restaurant etiquette. I guess I must be missing something.
So how do you weed out the misbehaving children from the well-behaved ones before the meal even starts? You can't. There are over 100 sit-down restaurants at Walt Disney World. What is wrong with prohibiting children from a few of them at dinner?

perge33 said:
Neither my kids nor I are troubled by grown-ups wanting to be "among their own dynamic"-- millions go to bars (like Jellyolls or Mannequins!), adults-only resorts in the Caribbean and Las Vegas every day and we manage to sleep at night
Jellyrolls serves popcorn, not generally considered a meal; does Mannequins even serve food? In either case, these are not places where one can dine in peace. As for Las Vegas? Adults-only resorts? Name three.

robinb said:
I think that having an adult-only restaurant or two is a very good idea. We would definately drop my DD off at a kids club and take advantage of a child-free evening. I too have been to V&A's and Shulas, each time without my own child. However ... I have seen other people's children in both restaurants.
Perfect example! How many dozens of parents each night drop their children off at a Kids Club, or hire a babysitter, so they can enjoy an evening out without their own kids? These Guests, too, it would seem would be happier dining in a child-free environment.

my4kids said:
and I wish that there was adult only dining in my own kitchen on some nights...a restaraunt can not segregate people based on age and height. This would be a huge discrimination suit...
Maybe, maybe not. But a restaurant CAN set a minimum age for patrons.
my4kids said:
Usually expensive restaraunts don't have this problem, because people are not going to plop down that kind of money on their chicken nugget eatin' munchkins...at DW however...people are on vacation , want a nice meal and if they don't choose to use babysitting services (which I would not do either- after all it's my kids vacation too...I'm not going to lock them up while I go have fun) their only choice is to take along the nugget eaters. Add the fact that if a family can afford a Disney vacation, they probably have no problem shelling out the money for an expensive meal on the kids and this is what is gonna happen.
If Disney has 100 sit-down restaurants, and 98 of them permit diners of all ages, that's most assuredly NOT unfair to families.
my4kids said:
The adult only areas on cruise ships etc. are allowed because there is something there that the kids need to be protected from (bar,high smoke level,adult entertainment, there is no telling what a kid might get a glimse of in the spa) Restaurants at Disney are not going to have something that you can not permit a child to see.
Businesses don't set adult-only areas because of what children might see. They do it to cater to adults who prefer to be in an atmosphere without children. Heck, Disney allows children at Pleasure Island - the same place where adults drink in the streets.

Calliaz said:
I think it is a much better solution to have the restaurant give clear behavior expectations for all guests based on the type of atmosphere they want. If someone is unruly, they should be told to stop (or get their children to stop) or be asked to leave
The problem with that is, the patrons can be ASKED to leave, but they can't be FORCED to.
Again, what's wrong with designating one or two restaurants for adults only?

my4kids said:
Wow, we have protected classes? Is that like the endanger animals? How do I get into one of these "classes" And here all this time I thought we were all equal here in America.
Sarcasm will get you nowhere. Yes, those groups for whom anti-discrimination laws were enacted are known as protected classes.

3DisneyNUTS said:
Disney doesn't cater to the adult only segment that is why the restaurants latests seatings are 9-9:30.
Actually, that's a pretty common practice in many restaurants, especially during the week. Even non-Disney restaurants have closing times.
3DisneyNUTS said:
Now while I don't plan to take my son to eat late night at a restaurant while in WDW there are some circumstances where I have needed to. For example he had a seizure right before our 6:30 PS and slept for 2 hours waking up really hungry. I am not comfortable having my son eat alot of fast food so we will go to the restaurant we intended to at 6:30 and have a meal. Now that sitaution is rare for us but it has happened. I will not plan for my son to eat at 9pm but I will take him to a nicer restaurant at 9pm if the situation warrants it. It is Disney for crying out loud.
Fine. Now, if Disney designates one or two restaurants as adults-only, you would never have made plans to eat in that one or two places in the first place. You still get to take your son where you'd planned, the adults who want to dine without children around still get to eat where they made ADRs - everybody's happy.
3DisneyNUTS said:
Plus exaggerations are always plenty when people are trying to make a point. I have NEVER in my 34 years seen a child throw food in a restaurant. I think it is extrememly rare that a person would ever see that.
It may be rare, but it does happen. If no children are permitted in a particular restaurant or two, then no children would possibly throw food in those restaurants.
3DisneyNUTS said:
Walts dream was to create a place where families could go and enjoy things together.
That would be Disneyland, Magic Kingdom and Epcot - NOT restaurants outside the parks but on Disney property.
3DisneyNUTS said:
EXACTLY so the entire notion of an adult only restaurant is completely opposite to this.
No. The entire notion of an adult-only THEME PARK may be completely opposite to Walt's vision.
3DisneyNUTS said:
The reason Disney Cruise has adults only sections is because you are on a ship and you can just jump overboard to get away from children. Disney World is completely different. If you want an adult only experience international drive is a few minutes away with plenty of restaurants.
Why? I don't have a car - I use Magical Express. Why should I rent a car or pay for a cab to go somewhere offsite when Disney could designate ONE OR TWO of its HUNDRED restaurants as adults-only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter