Adult only restaurants...dare I suggest it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be the first to sign up for an adults only fine dining establishment at a resort (not inside the parks). I agree with previous posters that with hundreds of alternatives, allowing a single place for adult only dining is no big deal.

I have been pretty lucky regarding signature restaurants and kids. The majority of the kids I've encountered were well behaved and I have NO problem at all with well behaved kids or sleeping babies.

I do practice "selective seating" in some places. Example: my first trip to Citricos I was seated right next to a baby in a high chair. I asked to be moved. Now the baby isn't horrible and I don't hate kids but I played the odds. Here is a baby in a highchair. The baby is within throwing distance of my fur. Baby already has mashed food product on the tray. The odds of my fur being hit with mashed food is higher in this case than sitting next to adults or older kids. I talked to the hostess quietly and were moved with no fuss.

I'm going to check out Jellyrolls on this trip now that my fav outdoor bar (PI) has been open to more underage kids (some older ones are also scamming drinks out of adults - do NOT get me started on that one).

Here is for having a little bit of everything for everyone!

my4kids said:
This is one of the more crass things I have read here. Having children is a little more than a "biological function" - using the toilet is a "biological function". Having children - or "reproducing" as you coldly put it - and raising them is more than just the biological function it started with.

Point A: "Reproducing" is not putting it coldly; it's putting it truthfully. Like it or not, that's what it is. Hehehe, and I think the "toilet" mention is crasser than the my use of the word "reproducing."

Point B: Having children is, indeed, a biological function. Now, the raising of them, that's a different story. But any male & female with working parts can perform the simple act of "having children."

My point is that many people feel that the fact that they gave birth to an offspring entitles them to special treatment, when, in fact, pretty much anyone can do it. Heck, I have a 12 year old student who just got impregnated, so I know that, contrary to your assertion, there is NOT more to it than a biological function.

As a teacher, I've seen the sad results of hundreds of people who don't put more into it than the act of creating the child and then sit back waiting for social workers & teachers to do the actual nurturing, or raising, of the child. No sense disputing this; it's not an opinion -it's a fact that anyone familiar with our overburdened social services system knows.

Not that this is really germane to the point at hand, that an adults-only restaurant, or adults-only seating at WDW would make a nice addition to the resort.

Cheers!
Heather W

hmp2z said:
Point A: "Reproducing" is not putting it coldly; it's putting it truthfully. Like it or not, that's what it is. Hehehe, and I think the "toilet" mention is crasser than the my use of the word "reproducing."

Point B: Having children is, indeed, a biological function. Now, the raising of them, that's a different story. But any male & female with working parts can perform the simple act of "having children."

My point is that many people feel that the fact that they gave birth to an offspring entitles them to special treatment, when, in fact, pretty much anyone can do it. Heck, I have a 12 year old student who just got impregnated, so I know that, contrary to your assertion, there is NOT more to it than a biological function.

As a teacher, I've seen the sad results of hundreds of people who don't put more into it than the act of creating the child and then sit back waiting for social workers & teachers to do the actual nurturing, or raising, of the child. No sense disputing this; it's not an opinion -it's a fact that anyone familiar with our overburdened social services system knows.

Not that this is really germane to the point at hand, that an adults-only restaurant, or adults-only seating at WDW would make a nice addition to the resort.

Cheers!
Heather W

Awesome post!!!! :)

TDC Nala said:
Why do they bother selling me an annual pass,then? Why would I bother to buy one?

I agree. As a previous poster stated, Walt's whole purpose of this is he wanted EVERYONE to be able to enjoy themselves. That includes adults WITHOUT children.

WillCAD said:
The only problem with that sort of setup would be those people who have limited times, i.e. "I can only get into XXXX on Tuesday night, and they won't let my kids in on Tuesdays!"

I think blanket policies, either yes to kids or no to kids, make things easier to plan, and make things more fair.

Good point. :thumbsup2 How about setting up a restaurant for adults only at Pleasure Island? It is more of an adult scene there anyway. The only thing is that you have to pay extra to get into Pleasure Island. If people want an adult only restaurant then I am sure they would not mind paying the extra money and they can return later in the night for the rest of the activities. party:
Personnally I do not have any problems with kids unless they are unruly and disruptive in the restaurant. Although WDW is designed as a place for both children and adults it is still the responsibility of the parents to supervise their children. I just returned from there the other day and did not have any trouble in the restaurants that we ate in while we were there.

OK, I'll jump in. :) I've got a DD who is now 8. She's been out and about with me at all sorts of places since she was tiny and spent most of her time sleeping in her carseat or my arms. We've lived overseas - believe me, if you've got a toddler who behaves so well on a 12-16 hour flight from Japan to the US (and back, several times) that the same people who gave you nasty looks as they got on the plane made remarks about how well-behaved she was as they got off the plane, you've got a mellow and well-behaved kid. LOL Frankly, I think I got lucky. She's never misbehaved in a restaurant.

Even with all of that, since day 1, I have always been aware of where the door was and how to get to it in case she did start pitching a fit. I was probably hyper-aware and if she got at all fussy, we removed ourselves until she settled.... just in case quiet-fussy went to loud-fit. When we went to the movies when she was small, we sat on the aisle near the exit.... again, just in case. As far as I am concerned, that was all just part of being a parent.

With that background, I can't imagine why people would get their knickers in a twist over an adults-only restaurant or two???? Maybe it has a menu that I (and DD, who is an adventurous eater) would like to try and maybe I'd get a bit wistful, knowing that DD would certainly behave herself, but is it actually going to worry me? Nope. She's been quite capable of understanding the 'adults-only' concept, so she might wish she could have the meal she wanted, but she'd move on in about a minute.

Of course, I tailor even our WDW trips to her schedule and tolerance levels. There are times when I have to ask her to stretch herself, but I don't need to do that just for a restaurant. Heck, we haven't seen the fireworks shows yet because she needed her sleep. LOL. I don't have any more desire to deal with a meltdown I created by pushing her than anyone else does to listen to it. :) I think we kind of have a deal - I listen to her and watch her for signs that I'm pushing things and she understands that if she pitches a fit, we leave... end of sentence, you're darn right we'll sit in our room this afternoon instead of playing in the park if you scream at the waitress. She knows I'll take care of her and I know that she knows that that sort of misbehavior is unacceptable. We're not perfect, but it's worked well so far......

So, if you guys can get me hired on as what, an Imagineer?, I'll put in a good word. Hey, let's lighten up a tad - what sort of theming would you like to see? <grin>

Whew. Got wordy there. Apologies. :)

salmoneous said:
My4,

Thinks got a bit heated, and that is unfortunate. But you are misstating what peopel are suggesting.

Nobody is suggesting that good parents avoid fine restuarants. They are saying it is usually better to hire a sitter and go without the kids.

Nobody has said anything about planes, second cars or careers.

Nobody has said a parent can't have any fun. They just can't always have the exact same fun they had before kids.

Nothing wrong with a character meal that bans families without kids.
I am sorry but hiring a stranger in a state where we are not from to watch my son would never happen.

Also parents who bring children to a nice restaurant are not trying to recreate the fun they had prior to having children. I bring my son to nice places to enjoy the experience with him.

Also to lable a parents good parents or bad parents because their child may be having a difficult time at that moment is unfair.

Plus exaggerations are always plenty when people are trying to make a point. I have NEVER in my 34 years seen a child throw food in a restaurant. I think it is extrememly rare that a person would ever see that.

Again I think if people want to go to a nice restaurant without seeing kids or even not being witness to an occassional meltdown than Disney is not the place to expect that.

Walts dream was to create a place where families could go and enjoy things together.

DH and I travelled to Disney frequently prior to having our son. We enjoyed Disney for all that it is. We never expected to not see children no matter what the time. It is Disney World for crying out loud. I just don't get why people will judge other parents when witnessing a small portion of their vacation.

There are plenty of adult destinations to vacation to. Why pick Disney if you don't want to see kids? even kids who are "misbehaving"?

cstraub said:
Walt Disney quotes:

“I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place–a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it.”

“The important thing is the family. If you can keep the family together–and that’s the backbone of our whole business, catering to families–that’s what we hope to do.”

We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together.

It's not just for kids. Disney was intended to be for kids and adults to share together. :goodvibes
EXACTLY so the entire notion of an adult only restaurant is completely opposite to this.

3DisneyNUTS said:
EXACTLY so the entire notion of an adult only restaurant is completely opposite to this.

Then why have golf courses, Pleasure Island, the Richard Petty riving Experience, or Jellyrolls?

I think Walt wanted Disney World to be a place that families could enjoy together, but I seriously doubt that he would have had a problem with individual attractions, such as golf courses, clubs, pubs, or even restaurants, that were designed for adults and not kids.

3DisneyNUTS said:
Plus exaggerations are always plenty when people are trying to make a point. I have NEVER in my 34 years seen a child throw food in a restaurant. I think it is extrememly rare that a person would ever see that.

Well you must be very lucky but I am not exaggerating. When I was younger I worked in food service, waitressing and bartending for 6 years in upscale and moderate restaurants. The moderate place had entrees in the $15-$25 range and had a bar as well so it wasn't Dennys. I would average at least one food incident with a small child a month. This was in Pasadena, CA. A nice middle class city, with patrons that came from ritzier San Marino. So like I said, I was just playing the odds based on my personal, non-exaggerated experience.

I've seen children throw food- heck my children have been the throwers at times (think angry b/c brother has french fries left- he doesn't so he throws food onto flor rather violently to express that he does NOT want the chicken- he wants the french fries).

I think that this thread has become silly really- it's just an opinion. I love children- I have three. At the same time I will not bring them into situations where they will be sure to self destruct (ie a four hour dinner at Victoria & Alberts) and bother other adults and other children (many tweenies don't enjoy eating with a screaming child nearby either) whom are paying for their meal. Unfortunately many parents do this and just don't care. That is why many of us advocate an adults only restaurant (just one). Not because we dislike well behaved children- but because many parents do not have courtesy for their children and others.

Boy, some of the posts in response to my initial query just boggle the mind.
"It's WDW if you don't want to see kids, don't go"
"Maybe WDW can have charcter meals that don't allow ADULTS, so there!"
"I don't go to finer restaurants with my children for ME, I do it for THEM"
Some just missed the point entirely and some parents, thankfully, understood and had no problem even if they had no intention of patronizing such a restaurant.
It appears that the subject morphed into parents vs. adults w/o kids. I can only speak for myself...it has nothing to do with children in general, it has to do with enjoying a 2 hour dining experience as part of a full vacation. If a family at WDW is presented with a list of 200 restaurants, some of them signature restaurants, but there is ONE lone place that has an asterisk that reads, no one under 16 years of age permitted, would parents protest becuase they HAVE to go there, or would they be against it in priniple? I'm amazed, really, that so many voiced such strong opposition. Go ahead, have the dining experience of your choice, that's one of the great things about WDW. I don't believe it would be against the laws of nature or any other laws to designate just one. Some suggested going to a more "adult" locale on vacation. Where is that exactly? A ski resort? Miami Beach? Anyone been to Vegas lately?! You can even take this premise outside of WDW and plug it into your hometown. Now, on an anniversary or Valentines Day parents wouldn't be upset if they dined without children but somebody else's kids ruined the experience? I will continue to believe that some circumstances are just not child appropriate. Of course there are some that will take their toddler to a black tie affair as long as they can get a tux that fits. Hey, I can go to the extreme too!

3DisneyNUTS said:
DH and I travelled to Disney frequently prior to having our son. We enjoyed Disney for all that it is. We never expected to not see children no matter what the time. It is Disney World for crying out loud. I just don't get why people will judge other parents when witnessing a small portion of their vacation.

There are plenty of adult destinations to vacation to. Why pick Disney if you don't want to see kids? even kids who are "misbehaving"?

Did you quote me by accident? :confused3 I don't see any response to any of my points? I don't think anything you said applied to me. I never said I didn't expect to see children. I never judged other parents. I never said I didn't want to see kids. What in my earlier post you quoted had anything to do with this?

Originally Posted by LuluLovesDisney (Posted here again for your convenience)

I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about Disney/WDW- that it's a place for kids. The fact is plenty of adults are devoted to Disney- because they enjoy it, and something about the magic resonates with them- not just because they think it's a vacation the kids will enjoy.

If you think about how Walt came up with the idea- for Disneyland, originally- he was at the merry go round watching his daughter and sitting on a bench and he thought- there's nothing here for adults! We shouldn't just have to sit and watch. There should be some place where *everyone* can have fun- "children of all ages"- together. Walt wanted a place that had "something for everyone". He succeeded with his original plans and it gets better every year.

It's the number one honeymoon destination in America! Thousands get married in WDW. (Including me one day *hopefully!*) Tons of adults without children visit everyday. There are even a few guidebooks devoted to "Disney World without Kids".

It is most definitely a place for all ages. As it was designed. As it should be. As I love it.

NewYawker said:
Boy, some of the posts in response to my initial query just boggle the mind.
"It's WDW if you don't want to see kids, don't go"
"Maybe WDW can have charcter meals that don't allow ADULTS, so there!"
"I don't go to finer restaurants with my children for ME, I do it for THEM"
Some just missed the point entirely and some parents, thankfully, understood and had no problem even if they had no intention of patronizing such a restaurant.
It appears that the subject morphed into parents vs. adults w/o kids. I can only speak for myself...it has nothing to do with children in general, it has to do with enjoying a 2 hour dining experience as part of a full vacation. If a family at WDW is presented with a list of 200 restaurants, some of them signature restaurants, but there is ONE lone place that has an asterisk that reads, no one under 16 years of age permitted, would parents protest becuase they HAVE to go there, or would they be against it in priniple? I'm amazed, really, that so many voiced such strong opposition. Go ahead, have the dining experience of your choice, that's one of the great things about WDW. I don't believe it would be against the laws of nature or any other laws to designate just one. Some suggested going to a more "adult" locale on vacation. Where is that exactly? A ski resort? Miami Beach? Anyone been to Vegas lately?! You can even take this premise outside of WDW and plug it into your hometown. Now, on an anniversary or Valentines Day parents wouldn't be upset if they dined without children but somebody else's kids ruined the experience? I will continue to believe that some circumstances are just not child appropriate. Of course there are some that will take their toddler to a black tie affair as long as they can get a tux that fits. Hey, I can go to the extreme too!

I agree with a lot of this except for the fact that if you go back and take note, there were in fact several parents who said they would enjoy an adult-only restaurant as a getaway. It just seems that they decided to quiet down when others grew more extreme.

And just because we'd like an adult only restaurant to visit, doesn't mean we want to go to Club Hedonism somewhere- we *like* WDW, we probably even like seeing the kids and families there- wanting just one restaurant for an elegant, mature meal is a lot different than the "adult vacation destinations" suggested.

Had to chime in because I am a self confessed DIsney Fanatic who is trying to create two more Disney lovers in my 2 dd's. (5 & 8) But dh & I spent a nice weekend at WDW w/out the kids just a few weeks ago.

We reserved a King room- since we wouldn't need another bed for the kids. We went to MGM and Epcot- this trip was about Epcot because the last several trips have been for the kids and I haven't gotten to do what I want- visit each pavillion at epcot-drink at a few of them:drinking:- spend time learning about the different cultures, and just enjoy being there. Most times I have been the responsible parent and taken the little ones to areas that they can have fun and bypasse all of my favorites.

Dh & I also made ADR's for restaurants that we knew we'd never take the kids: Kona Cafe (DD 8 is too picky) and Le Cellier. We had a wonderful time- missed the kids and at many times we were thrilled they weren't with us this time.

I don't see the problem in adding another choice or two to DIsney's already eclectic dining offering- with an adult only option. There are several kids' clubs that allow a daycare like option for parents' to drop off their kids for a few hours to enjoy some rides they can't do w/ the kids or to dine in a more sophisticated atmosphere. Shula's doesn't offer a kids' menu so I think this is an option for parents- kids are at the Dolphin kid club- eating w/ other kids, doing activities and the parents eat alone in a more adult atmosphere. You don't have to go there- but if you want to -it's there. A couple of more options like this would be nice. Disney has certainly capitalized on EVERY market- honeymooners/weddings, families, seniors etc- I'm sure they will do this eventually.

I just am so amazed-and also amused- by how personally some people take another's opinions. And an anonymous stranger's at that. THere have been some parents who ask for a more masculine character meal- girls have the princess tea- so why not? Is that discrimination? My dd5 is 41" she can't go on some rides because of her height (she's petite) and I choose not to take her on other rides (she's noise sensitive) There are rules and choices even in the Happiest Place on Earth. And since most adults are the folks feeding Disney's profits-why can't Disney feed them alone? It's a huge place- they are always looking for more ways to make more guests happy and make more $- this could be another way. They created their own Putt- Putt because they saw that guests were going offsite for the experience. Alot of people don't rent cars because of the great WDW transportation so to expect them to go off property for a more adult venue is not always cost effective. I'm sure DIsney is already looking into this.

I love a debate-so keep the comments coming. Flame away...

LuluLovesDisney said:
Did you quote me by accident? :confused3 I don't see any response to any of my points? I don't think anything you said applied to me. I never said I didn't expect to see children. I never judged other parents. I never said I didn't want to see kids. What in my earlier post you quoted had anything to do with this?

Originally Posted by LuluLovesDisney (Posted here again for your convenience)

I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about Disney/WDW- that it's a place for kids. The fact is plenty of adults are devoted to Disney- because they enjoy it, and something about the magic resonates with them- not just because they think it's a vacation the kids will enjoy.

If you think about how Walt came up with the idea- for Disneyland, originally- he was at the merry go round watching his daughter and sitting on a bench and he thought- there's nothing here for adults! We shouldn't just have to sit and watch. There should be some place where *everyone* can have fun- "children of all ages"- together. Walt wanted a place that had "something for everyone". He succeeded with his original plans and it gets better every year.

It's the number one honeymoon destination in America! Thousands get married in WDW. (Including me one day *hopefully!*) Tons of adults without children visit everyday. There are even a few guidebooks devoted to "Disney World without Kids".

It is most definitely a place for all ages. As it was designed. As it should be. As I love it.

I must have lulu I am sorry I will edit it :)

PrincessAurora said:
Well you must be very lucky but I am not exaggerating. When I was younger I worked in food service, waitressing and bartending for 6 years in upscale and moderate restaurants. The moderate place had entrees in the $15-$25 range and had a bar as well so it wasn't Dennys. I would average at least one food incident with a small child a month. This was in Pasadena, CA. A nice middle class city, with patrons that came from ritzier San Marino. So like I said, I was just playing the odds based on my personal, non-exaggerated experience.

But you are exposed to the environment everyday. Since I am not working in food service I only see it from a customer POV. I was speaking from that. I did not say it never happens just that it isn't a regular occurance. I think to use it in an arguement to promote an adult only restaurant is unfair since that doesn't happen commonly.

My point is that in WDW a place for everyone I don't see Disney making a restaurant that cuts out the family aspect of the World.

leight said:
Had to chime in because I am a self confessed DIsney Fanatic who is trying to create two more Disney lovers in my 2 dd's. (5 & 8) But dh & I spent a nice weekend at WDW w/out the kids just a few weeks ago.

We reserved a King room- since we wouldn't need another bed for the kids. We went to MGM and Epcot- this trip was about Epcot because the last several trips have been for the kids and I haven't gotten to do what I want- visit each pavillion at epcot-drink at a few of them:drinking:- spend time learning about the different cultures, and just enjoy being there. Most times I have been the responsible parent and taken the little ones to areas that they can have fun and bypasse all of my favorites.

Dh & I also made ADR's for restaurants that we knew we'd never take the kids: Kona Cafe (DD 8 is too picky) and Le Cellier. We had a wonderful time- missed the kids and at many times we were thrilled they weren't with us this time.

I don't see the problem in adding another choice or two to DIsney's already eclectic dining offering- with an adult only option. There are several kids' clubs that allow a daycare like option for parents' to drop off their kids for a few hours to enjoy some rides they can't do w/ the kids or to dine in a more sophisticated atmosphere. Shula's doesn't offer a kids' menu so I think this is an option for parents- kids are at the Dolphin kid club- eating w/ other kids, doing activities and the parents eat alone in a more adult atmosphere. You don't have to go there- but if you want to -it's there. A couple of more options like this would be nice. Disney has certainly capitalized on EVERY market- honeymooners/weddings, families, seniors etc- I'm sure they will do this eventually.

I just am so amazed-and also amused- by how personally some people take another's opinions. And an anonymous stranger's at that. THere have been some parents who ask for a more masculine character meal- girls have the princess tea- so why not? Is that discrimination? My dd5 is 41" she can't go on some rides because of her height (she's petite) and I choose not to take her on other rides (she's noise sensitive) There are rules and choices even in the Happiest Place on Earth. And since most adults are the folks feeding Disney's profits-why can't Disney feed them alone? It's a huge place- they are always looking for more ways to make more guests happy and make more $- this could be another way. They created their own Putt- Putt because they saw that guests were going offsite for the experience. Alot of people don't rent cars because of the great WDW transportation so to expect them to go off property for a more adult venue is not always cost effective. I'm sure DIsney is already looking into this.

I love a debate-so keep the comments coming. Flame away...

There is nothing to flame about. I personally don't see it as good business sense for Disney. If it were we would already see it IMO. I am sure it was considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter