Adult only restaurants...dare I suggest it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYawker

Earning My Ears
Here's a hot button topic that I'm sure will spark some spirited debate...what do you think about 1 or 2 restaurants on property that adopt a no child under 16 permitted rule? Now of course I understand that it's DISNEY WORLD, and for some that will be the only consideration, but it's also a resort that is marketed towards adults as well. With sooooo many dining choices, is it that absurd of an idea to designate a romantic type restaurant where 2 adults will have a reasonable expectation of enjoying a meal without any disturbance? Between the parks, the resorts, DD, there has to be room for something like this. Keep in mind that DW is a very popular honeymoon destination. 5 years ago I planned a romantic dinner on my wifes birthday at Paolo's (?) in the Swan and it was practically ruined by the young family next to us. I had to check to make sure I wasn't at Chuckie Cheese. It is not my intent to anger anyone with children, but I'm sure even parents can remember a time when they wanted this type of dining experience. Afterall, DW is not a cheap vacation and I think everyone should have the same right to be accommodated. Is it asking too much?!

I would imagine there's not a lot of kids at Victoria & Albert's. That's probably the closest thing you would find as an adults only restaurant.

I think it would be a great idea! Why not? There's kids clubs that adults can't get into...My husband and I used to dine at WDW late (9 pm or so) and some parents would bring their children to dinner at that time. It's a lot to ask a child to sit through a dinner that late at night. So, it is hard to get an adults only atmosphere.

Now, we eat around 6:30 pm 'cause guess what? We have a 2 yr old! I wouldn't begrudge you a restaurant or two for some peace and quiet! After all, in about 14 years, I'd be able to get in with my whole family, according to your 16 yr old minimum age. ;)

Absolutely a great idea. Why not go over to the restaurant forum and suggest it. My hope is, it would get 100% support. Or, if there are negatives, it would just be from a wouldn't-get-enough business standpoint, and not a no-fair standpoint. Should be fun in any case.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I felt better about posting it here rather than the restaurant forum, feeling it would reach more sympathetic ears! I'm not really looking for suggestions as to where there would be less children, 'cause I have found that even expensive restaurants can and will have kids, I prefer hearing your thoughts on the suggestion. There's bound to be some yuppie who feels their childs life can't possibly be complete without macaroni and cheese with white glove service. I don't believe that lack of interest would be a factor once word got out. On the contrary, I think it would be popular especially if the choices were limited to 1 or 2 restaurants. Again, not to rattle any cages but I fully expect the kids at WDW, who wouldnt, but when I'm shelling out $100 + for a meal with the Mrs. I would appreciate it more with wine rather than whine. It's not like there aren't dozens of other choices for families. I'm sure this will incite some, but I truly don't think it's unreasonable.

If not a whole restraunt why not a quiet closed off small section of some of the more romantic ones? :confused3 I think it is a GREAT idea!!

My husband & I have often wished for the same thing. DH says that it would be out of the question to have such a thing in the parks (What? My precious poopsies aren't allowed in? But we're at the Magic Kingdom, the most kid-friendly place on earth!), but maybe at a resort, it would be received more favorably. I think that having an adults-only section of the restaurants would be a WONDERFUL idea, and much appreciated by many of the clientele. That would probably cause less of a stir, since the people with young children would still be allowed in, but would just be directed to a different area, rather like smoking & non-smoking sections :)
Cheers!
Heather W

We are going Feb 20 and would LOVE adults only restaurant. Where is Victorias and Alberts?????? Anywhere there will be less kids??? Silly to ask this at DW right................. :rotfl2: /SIZE]

Victoria and Albert's is in the Grand Floridian Hotel. Never been, but I understand its a great experience with a high price tag to match. Each guest gets like 5 waiters each or something rediculous like that. For me, it would be what I call a special occassion place. You should be able to find lots of info about it on the restaurants forum. Bon appetit!!

I think it's a great idea. I too understand that Disney World is for kids of all ages, but I also think there should be a few restaurants (not only one's that are very expensive like V&A's) that are for adults. I agree with a separate section in a restaurant too.

They already have enough of these they are called DVC resort rooms :rotfl2:

But as I love being around kids I understand when some don't .

Disney has soooo many choices this one would be a nice new addition.They could do it as an Night club for adults only but meals until a certain time .I wonder if PI has anywhere like this.

Also my 999 post Guess 1000 I might have to find a good one.

As in smoking/ non-smoking sections (yes, some states still have them), why not adults only/ family sections?
Would work for me.

Victoria and Albert's is one of only 46 restaurants nationwide with the AAA Five Diamond award. It has a price fixed dinner for $100 (plus tax and gratuity). There is a wine pairings available for $55 (++), as well as a large selection of wines by the glass or bottle. They have a dress code (jacket and tie for men, equivilant for women). Dinner takes about 2.5 hours.

There is no prohibition against children, but there is no children's menu and no splitting of meals. So if a person wants to bring a child it would cost about $125 including tax and tip for the child's meal.

Here is a recent menu from V&A.

I have eaten at V&A's three times, and only once did I see someone that was considered a child and he was a teenager. The food is so good, it's my favorite restaurant, too bad it's 1200 miles away! It is worth every penny, the food is great, the service is wonderful, can't go wrong. My only advice is go there very hungry!

I agree it's a wonderful idea! It's no different than on the Disney cruise. The cruisei is DEFINITELY for children and families, yet they have an adults only restaurant onboard. Additionally they have an adults only pool and section of the beach on Castaway Cay, and children aren't allowed in the spa. And if you're been on the Disney cruise, you know the adult only restaurant isn't hurting for business, it's quite the opposite, sometimes you can't get in.

This is not a new topic. Adults-only dining and entertainment venues have been suggested many times on the various boards I frequent, and the reaction seems to be about 60%pro, 20%con, and 20% "just make some sections adults-only, not a whole restaurant."

Some people with kids get very millitant whenever you suggest anything at WDW be restricted. My personal thought on that is that those folks don't realize that WDW is for everybody. It's NOT just a place where families can take their kids, it's also a place where childless people can go to have a nice vacation.

Many people who have children love the idea of adults-only venues, because they would like to have a night out on their own once in a while. Set up a sitter, get gussied up, and head out to a nice meal where you don't have to wipe up spills or cut someone elses meat.

Those of us without kids like the idea because we enjoy going to a restauant once in a while and not being forced to endure screamers, food-throwers, or aisle-runners. Hey, I love kids, but I don't like trying to eat around poorly-behaved kids, and anywhere there are kids there are going to be some that behave poorly.

So yes, I think a few adults-only venues at WDW would be a great addition. Adults-only sections at existing restaurants would be fine, as well as at the water parks, and maybe an adults-only pool at each resort, and maybe a few restaurants that are entirely adults-only but don't cost as much as V&A.

I expect to have kids around when I go to WDW, because it's designed for everybody. But once in a while, I'd like to be able to go to a restaurant and not worry about being seated next to a family of 12 that's as rowdy as college kids on Spring Break.

I can completely understand how this would be a hot topic. I am childless by choice and choose to remain. I love WDW, but understand that children are going to be there at all times. Every now and then, I would like to go somewhere on the property that has no children. I was very disappointed when PI started to allow children into some of my favorite places that were child free.
This is one thing about Disney that almost bothers me. I find it unfortunate that they don't please all their visitors. Some people travel on their honeymoon, their child free anniversaries, solo, etc, and this does not involve any children, so why not have something like an adults only section or an adults only restaurant to appease those visitors? I would love to suggest it to them, but feel like this would not be taken seriously.

ChisJo said:
I was very disappointed when PI started to allow children into some of my favorite places that were child free.
I totally agree and that's why it's not as much fun there (imho). (and I'm a single mom, but going out with adults, should just be adults) Walking around with your drinks and having kids everywhere just doesn't work for me.

Thank goodness that Jellyrolls is still "Adults Only".

is it that absurd of an idea to designate a romantic type restaurant where 2 adults will have a reasonable expectation of enjoying a meal without any disturbance?

How about just 1 adult? Or a group of friends? Personally I would prefer it not be a romance thing. Something sophisticated kind of like the adults only restaurant on the Disney cruise ships would be nice.

Ain't gonna happen, but it might have been nice.

Sectioning off an area for adults only and then sticking to that would be a good idea. This isn't what you all are thinking of but I would use Disney's definition of adult. There aren't that many restaurants out in the real world that refuse to sell/refuse to permit minors.

Adult pools I can't see...the rent people pay is to be able to use standard services like pools. Only in someplace like Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach could I see this happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter