ABD China 2017

The flight will go by very quickly if you can get several hours of rest and a few hours of movies.

Have a GREAT trip! I can't wait to read your trip report!

That reminds me of the flight to Sydney where I watched Godfather I & II and the Avengers and still had over half the flight to go. :)

But the flight to China is shorter at least:)

The flight will go by very quickly if you can get several hours of rest and a few hours of movies.

Have a GREAT trip! I can't wait to read your trip report!
Thanks!! :) I never sleep on planes, but who knows? The longest flight I've been on so far is 9 hours (seems like a piece of cake now!) so maybe 16 will do me in. :) Loaded up on movies!

That reminds me of the flight to Sydney where I watched Godfather I & II and the Avengers and still had over half the flight to go. :)

I don't want to think about a flight longer than 16 hours!! :eek:

Sayhello

LOL, I remember a flight to Hong Kong where I read Sho Gun start to finish with time left over. (Why I was reading a novel of Japan on my way to a British colony in China, I have no idea)

Thanks!! :) I never sleep on planes, but who knows? The longest flight I've been on so far is 9 hours (seems like a piece of cake now!) so maybe 16 will do me in. :) Loaded up on movies!

I don't want to think about a flight longer than 16 hours!! :eek:

Sayhello

You are really, really going to want to sleep on the flight to China. It is long and ours was overnight, so your body needs the rest.

I have developed a routine for overnight flights that works well for me: at bed time I take my toiletries to the bathroom, change into leggings and a loose t-shirt, wash my face, brush my teeth and head back to my seat ready for bed. This way my body and brain both think it's bed time, I'm in comfortable clothing and therefore ready for sleep. In the morning, I do the same in reverse -- get dressed, wash my face and put on my "face". Usually when they start to serve breakfast it's my cue to get ready for the day. This routine is also great because I used to feel so gross when I was in the same clothes for an entire overnight flight and it solves that problem.

We arrived in Hong Kong last night after a 13-hr. flight from Vancouver on Air Canada. Best economy flight I have ever been on, with three meals (two menu selections), consoles have games/movies, pillows, blankets. I stayed up night before and slept from 5AM to until about 5:30 PM intermittently, then switched time zones and stayed awake until arrival so felt pretty refreshed when we got here.
Explorers Lodge is amazing. Very beautiful, reminded me of Aluani and Animal Kingdom combined. Beautiful gardens and shallow swimming pool on South China Sea. Fun scavenger hunt. 93 degrees and humid at night.
Going to park today and meeting ABD later she his afternoon.

Last edited:
I've arrived!! Dozed on and off, arrived late evening, settled in, finally forced myself to go to sleep. Now awake & getting ready for the day. The Peninsula is beautiful!! Looking forward to meeting everyone tonight!!

Foggy right now. We'll see how the day develops. It was humid last night.

Sayhello

Yay! I was so hoping to sign on today and see that fellow Dis Board friends had arrived in China! Can't wait to hear about your adventures, SayHello and Karen, travel safe!

Just a tip for those looking to fly to China. We found that flying out of LAX to/from China gave some pretty good prices on Delta. We then booked separately flights from our home airport (MCO) to and from LAX, added a night in a LAX hotel and still saved over $2K per person compared to booking from our home airport.

Two weeks from today we'll be in the air headed for Hong Kong, so as is my tradition, I'm stalking the weather ... and ... I think I'll invest in even, stronger, more waterproof rain gear! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I am anxious to hear from those of you there right now! Hope you have been writing a trip report as you've been there!!

I am anxious to hear from those of you there right now! Hope you have been writing a trip report as you've been there!!
We are on our way to our final city of the tour--Shanghai--in a little while. This is only the second time I've had a few minutes to check in on the boards. The trip had been phenomenal but very very busy with some very long days--a couple of those exacerbated by delayed flights. I told sayhello that I'm counting on her to write the detailed report, but I will do some kind of summary when I get back and have a chance to organize my thoughts. But we have been very fortunate to have a small group (24), great weather (2 minor periods of rain and only a couple half days of really hot humid weather), and low crowds.

We are on our way to our final city of the tour--Shanghai--in a little while. This is only the second time I've had a few minutes to check in on the boards. The trip had been phenomenal but very very busy with some very long days--a couple of those exacerbated by delayed flights. I told sayhello that I'm counting on her to write the detailed report, but I will do some kind of summary when I get back and have a chance to organize my thoughts. But we have been very fortunate to have a small group (24), great weather (2 minor periods of rain and only a couple half days of really hot humid weather), and low crowds.

I'm so happy that you've had a wonderful trip! We leave a week from tomorrow and its finally "real!" Looking forward to hearing about Shanghai!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Jen

I'm so happy that you've had a wonderful trip! We leave a week from tomorrow and its finally "real!" Looking forward to hearing about Shanghai!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Jen

Hi Jen. We leave next week too and must be on your trip. I am finally getting on the board to get some info. What are you planning to do for restaurants? My kids both have birthdays while on the tour and we want to plan some special meals for those days. Appreciate any advice you have based on your prep. At this rate I am not sure I am going to catch up with all of the old postings.

Robin

Hi Jen. We leave next week too and must be on your trip. I am finally getting on the board to get some info. What are you planning to do for restaurants? My kids both have birthdays while on the tour and we want to plan some special meals for those days. Appreciate any advice you have based on your prep. At this rate I am not sure I am going to catch up with all of the old postings.

Robin

Hi Robin! So happy to meet another family in our group! My husband I are traveling with our 9 year old daughter. How old are your children? The concierges at the hotels have been extremely helpful in booking dining reservations for us, and I highly recommend emailing them! Not sure I would have been able to book reservations otherwise. The Open Table app was helpful in HK and the Chope app is ok for mainland, dining, but ultimately we had the concierge book everything for us!

We leave Wednesday and arrive Thursday night for a couple pre-nights in Hong Kong. We have several things booked in HK. For dinners, we've booked Ming Court and Nobu. We've also booked a "Junk Boat" Harbor Cruise on the AquaLuna http://aqualuna.com.hk/ and we are planning an excursion to see the Big Buddah at Lantau. Here is a link to some of the information: http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/see-do/great-outdoors/outlying-islands/lantau-island/index.jsp
The Cable Car just reopened last week after maintenance, so we are still finalizing details for that. Ultimately, we decided not to book any additional time at HK Disney and just stick with the group visit. Everything we've booked in HK is cancellable in case the jet lag shatters us and we just need to rest! LOL

In Beijing, we are doing the highly recommended "Capital M" for one dinner http://www.m-restaurantgroup.com/capitalm/ Also in Beijing, we are eating at some place called the Jing-a Taproom. I'm not entirely sure why, its very random, but I think we read this article about the Mala Chicken and dove in! LOL https://www.eater.com/maps/best-beijing-restaurants . We have no additional tour plans in Beijing/Chengdu/Tian/Guilan since the days seem pretty packed as they are! LOL

In Chengdu, we are eating at Li Xuan in the hotel, which cam well-recommended. We wanted to eat at "Flair" in the hotel, but the concierge said it might not be right for our 9-year old and recommended something else. I'm sure Flair would be fine, but decided to not press! LOL! May change when we get there.

In Shanghai, we are celebrating out anniversary, so we have quite a few plans. We are eating at Hakkasan http://hakkasan.com/ and at Mr. and Mrs. Bund http://mmbund.com/ . We are doing several post days in Shanghai, so we don't leave until Sunday. We have booked a Tongli Water Town Tour with MIKI (based on recommendations from this board) https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g308272-d2522351-r479937268-Miki_Tours-Shanghai.html. We've also booked an extra day at Shanghai Disneyland and a reservation at the Royal Banquet Hall inside the park. We called Shanghai Disney and booked everything (tickets included) directly, and had good luck on the phone.

My favorite part of this whole trip is that we really haven't spent much time planning anything for the bulk of the trip and we're able to focus on the pre and post days!

Looking forward to meeting soon!
Jen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter