ABD China 2017

For those headed on this epic journey, be sure to watch for the newborn pandas at the Giant Panda Research Centre in Chengdu. After you wander through the outdoor area where the adult and youths are located, you will enter a building where the nursery is. If you are lucky the curtains will be open and you will be treated to an overdose of cuteness:

IMG_0646_zpso5fxdloi.jpg

IMG_0646_zpso5fxdloi.jpg
IMG_0646_zpso5fxdloi.jpg
URL]

Last edited:
For those headed on this epic journey, be sure to watch for the newborn pandas at the Giant Panda Research Centre in Chengdu. After you wander through the outdoor area where the adult and youths are located, you will enter a building where the nursery is. If you are lucky the curtains will be open and you will be treated to an overdose of cuteness:
Oh my goodness! That may be too much to handle--my daughter will go nuts!

We are doing China in October. Would any of you (going sooner) that have already received the suggested book list from ABD be willing to post it so I can get a head start?

We are doing China in October. Would any of you (going sooner) that have already received the suggested book list from ABD be willing to post it so I can get a head start?
I don't remember getting a suggested book list.

Sayhello

Well, apparently there were "problems" with the vendor who does the pre-trip packages, and our boxes shipped *TODAY*. As in, 2 weeks prior to the actual trip. I have to think that with all the problems they've had with this vendor (the last 4 years!) they really should find someone else. I wonder if them using this vendor for the last 4 years has anything to with the declining quality of the boxes...

Sayhello

I don't remember getting a suggested book list.

Sayhello

I remember getting one for the Ireland ABD I didn't end up going on because of hubby's hip surgery, and getting all the books together, but nothing in any of the China material I have so far. In any event, we'll be getting our welcome boxes too late to do any prep like that!

If you go to the ABD China website and click on Trip Tips and FAQs, you can then click on Recommended Reading and see a list of books.

Well, apparently there were "problems" with the vendor who does the pre-trip packages, and our boxes shipped *TODAY*. As in, 2 weeks prior to the actual trip. I have to think that with all the problems they've had with this vendor (the last 4 years!) they really should find someone else. I wonder if them using this vendor for the last 4 years has anything to with the declining quality of the boxes...

Sayhello

Let us know when you get your box! Hopefully, it is soon. I am wondering if it has itinerary info in it.

IMG_0646_zpso5fxdloi.jpg

IMG_0646_zpso5fxdloi.jpg
IMG_0646_zpso5fxdloi.jpg
URL]

Gah! I would LOVE this!!

Gah! I would LOVE this!!

It's really unbelievable to see. I mean look at how CUTE that baby is.

When we had newborn panda twins at the Toronto Zoo they weren't put on display until they were 6 months old (I lined up 90 minutes to see them - it was worth it as they were playful babies and darling to watch).

We got very lucky with our timing at the panda nursery in Chengdu last year -- it was a highlight of the trip for me and likely a once-in-a-lifetime experience (if I go back to China I don't know if I'd go to Chengdu).

I am excited to hear all about the trips this year. This was such a great ABD. The Great Wall, Terra Cotta Warriors, the pandas in Chengdu, amazing Beijing with its incredible history and temples, the Summer Palace. Just so many "must do" sites. I hope for fabulous weather for all the trips going this summer.

Have fun everyone! Please post a lot of pictures. Looking at my pictures is making me feel nostalgic.

Just FYI ... booked tickets/tour for Shanghai Disneyland for our post-day on July 6th. The exact date you can book seems a little fluid, my husband called the last three days and tonight was finally able to book. So excited!

I am *SO* pissed & upset right now. :( My sciatica is flaring up the last few days, and stretches are not doing a thing about it. I'm trying really hard to NOT think about a 16 hour flight to China in 7 days... My doctor has given me drugs if absolutely necessary, but I am SUCH a not-happy camper!!

I called the chiropractor yesterday, and of course he's in Florida until Tuesday. I sure hope he can do something about this. (He has in the past, but it hasn't been this bad).

Sayhello

I am *SO* pissed & upset right now. :( My sciatica is flaring up the last few days, and stretches are not doing a thing about it. I'm trying really hard to NOT think about a 16 hour flight to China in 7 days... My doctor has given me drugs if absolutely necessary, but I am SUCH a not-happy camper!!

I called the chiropractor yesterday, and of course he's in Florida until Tuesday. I sure hope he can do something about this. (He has in the past, but it hasn't been this bad).

Sayhello

Oh no... feel better! Fingers crossed that the chiropractor can give you some relief!

Sayhello

Very sorry to hear that. I hope the chiropractor can help. Keep us posted.

Sayhello
Oh no!!! What a huge bummer. I will cross my fingers that the chiropractor is able to alleviate the pain. 16 hours on a plane with that would not be fun :(

So much great information on here -- thanks to everyone for posting. A few people mentioned difficulties picking restaurants or making reservations. I emailed our concierges at each hotel and received a quick response each time. They made all our dining reservations, except at Disney parks.

Sayhello

I hope you feel better very soon. Please keep us posted.

I am curious....did those of you who received the Disney welcome package get one of each gift for your entire party? I don't want to ruin the surprise, such as it is, but, historically, we received, say, two backpacks, etc. This go-around, it looks like my son and I, each paying the full adult price, have to share the couple of do-dads, as I only received one of each item. Kind of chintzy IMHO, as I would assume I would have received the same package if I'd been travelling alone, so nothing extra for my son....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter