2017 DISNEYLAND RESORT HALLOWEEN TIME / MICKEY'S HALLOWEEN PARTY THREAD!

I still show one charge on my credit card as a temp. The other is now a charge so I'm still checking daily to make sure it cancels

Mine's been like that for several days. I figure it'll drop off soon, but definitely watching it as well just to be sure. Not used to the pending charge lasting past the actual charge posting.

Wow on the 10/13 sell out -so glad we bought tix when they went on sale 7/24 - will be our first time. We live in NorCal but some family members from the midwest are in SoCal that weekend so we decided to fly down to see them and have never been to a DL party before. Almost waited on buying the tix before we figured out the overall schedule -so glad we didn't. Wouldn't have been able to go any other day than the 13th- would have preferred a weekday party but DD7 has school.

Any strategies for handling a sold out party? We will want to do some rides, see the 1st parade and fireworks, check out the Cadaver Dans and do a little trick or treating but leave after the fireworks before DD7 passes out. We will probably also have one other day in the parks over the weekend depending on when we see our relatives. We had AP's when DD was 5 but haven't been to the parks for a couple of years. DD7 says her first choices for rides are HM, SM and BTMR and if our flight is on time we should be at park gates by 3:30 for the 4pm entry. (should we go to DCA instead pre-party since that's allowed this year?)

Any strategies for handling a sold out party? We will want to do some rides, see the 1st parade and fireworks, check out the Cadaver Dans and do a little trick or treating but leave after the fireworks before DD7 passes out. We will probably also have one other day in the parks over the weekend depending on when we see our relatives. We had AP's when DD was 5 but haven't been to the parks for a couple of years. DD7 says her first choices for rides are HM, SM and BTMR and if our flight is on time we should be at park gates by 3:30 for the 4pm entry. (should we go to DCA instead pre-party since that's allowed this year?)

Actually, most parties sell out before party night, so it shouldn't feel different than the other parties (good or bad! ;) ). The first few hours when party goers and regular park attendees clash (from 4-7 p.m.) will be really busy. It will thin out once the party starts and ride lines will start to significantly decrease. You can probably knock out HM, SM, and BTMR if you start right when you get there up until fireworks. You may be able to do some treat trails as well before fireworks. Although the lines for those can get long, they move pretty quickly. If you want a really good view for the first parade and fireworks, it will take some planning and waiting. I know people start waiting on the curb pretty early, I want to say around 7:30-7:45 for a 8:45 parade. If you don't want front row curb seating, you won't need to get there nearly as early (maybe about 30-45 minutes before?). Main Street will probably be your best bet for seeing both the parade and fireworks.

I still show one charge on my credit card as a temp. The other is now a charge so I'm still checking daily to make sure it cancels
Once it hit the post stage I'd file with the credit card company, tell them you called Disney, they said they'd reverse the charge and they failed to do so. The credit card company can give Disney the kick in the rear they seem to need here, there's NO reason for Disney not to have reversed the charges at this point.

Once it hit the post stage I'd file with the credit card company, tell them you called Disney, they said they'd reverse the charge and they failed to do so. The credit card company can give Disney the kick in the rear they seem to need here, there's NO reason for Disney not to have reversed the charges at this point.

Mines been sitting there for a week now Not happy

I have been planning on the Friday the 13th party because it's the only one going on during our trip but I had not bought tickets. After seeing them sold out online last night I almost cried! I was waiting until payday to buy them but I juggled some money around and deposited all $215 (ouch, just had to tack on a $5 service fee eh, insult to injury with these price increases) dollars, crossed my fingers and hoped they'd have some left if I called in. Thank goodness they did! My bank rejected the charges the first time (you'd think they would be used to my Disney spending by now lol) so I had to call my bank and call Disney back, but after all was said and done, I got two! What a roller coaster of emotions that was lol. So if you're wanting to attend that day, try calling, but do it sooner rather than later. Couldn't believe it was sold out so fast!?

Awesome, I love a good success story.

Actually, most parties sell out before party night, so it shouldn't feel different than the other parties (good or bad! ;) ). The first few hours when party goers and regular park attendees clash (from 4-7 p.m.) will be really busy. It will thin out once the party starts and ride lines will start to significantly decrease. You can probably knock out HM, SM, and BTMR if you start right when you get there up until fireworks. You may be able to do some treat trails as well before fireworks. Although the lines for those can get long, they move pretty quickly. If you want a really good view for the first parade and fireworks, it will take some planning and waiting. I know people start waiting on the curb pretty early, I want to say around 7:30-7:45 for a 8:45 parade. If you don't want front row curb seating, you won't need to get there nearly as early (maybe about 30-45 minutes before?). Main Street will probably be your best bet for seeing both the parade and fireworks.
Do you know a good strategy for short people? I am short and my 11 year old is definitely on the short side. If we find a curbside spot, will we be able to see the projections shown during the fireworks or are there any locations to view the fireworks that are better than others for short people? You sound fairly experienced in the Halloween party, do you have any sense on how often the Halloween fireworks get cancelled? Is it around a 50% chance or more? Hope you don't mind the questions and TIA!

My 9 year old loves Zero. She also collects pins. We are going to the party for the first time in late September. I've read about special pins for the Halloween time. Are these all limited edition and very hard to get? Do you buy them during the parties or any time during Halloween season? There is one on the Disney parks shopping app now that's not LE so I'll likely get that, but didn't know if others are going to be available and how hard it is to buy them. Thanks.

Do you know a good strategy for short people? I am short and my 11 year old is definitely on the short side. If we find a curbside spot, will we be able to see the projections shown during the fireworks or are there any locations to view the fireworks that are better than others for short people? You sound fairly experienced in the Halloween party, do you have any sense on how often the Halloween fireworks get cancelled? Is it around a 50% chance or more? Hope you don't mind the questions and TIA!

Guilty! lol We love the Halloween parties and have gone to many of them over the years. I don't mind the questions at all, I'm happy to share our experience! :)

I would try for Main Street. They do projections on the castle, Matterhorn, as well as the buildings down Main Street during the fireworks. You'll want to get curbside seating here, then as soon as the last parade float goes by - quickly move out into the center of the street so that you can see the fireworks. The other option is staking out a spot right in front of the castle and then grabbing a spot for the second parade, but this eats up a lot of time. If you want to do the treat trails or rides, that option probably isn't the best one.

The area to avoid would be at the very end of Main Street right in front of the hub, as there are trees on either side blocking the view of the fireworks and projections.

I really can't guess at fireworks cancellations. I know they do get cancelled for what seems even the slightest of winds. We haven't been to a party that has had fireworks cancelled (knock on wood!), so that's good. Not to say it never happens, but there seems to be a smaller chance during September and October. I've been told that if they do get cancelled, they play them for the next scheduled night (so if you go to a Friday party, they'll have them as Saturday's fireworks instead of the normal ones).

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Curbside spots will generally not give you all that great a view of the fireworks because they're off to the side. If you're going to watch from the curb, I would aim to be standing on the curb to the right side of Main Street (when facing the castle). There really isn't much you can do to ensure that you'll have an unobstructed view. I also think that Main Street is probably your best bet for being able to see the projections and still getting the full effect of the show. I would look to find people that are also short(ish) and try to stand behind them.

My 9 year old loves Zero. She also collects pins. We are going to the party for the first time in late September. I've read about special pins for the Halloween time. Are these all limited edition and very hard to get? Do you buy them during the parties or any time during Halloween season? There is one on the Disney parks shopping app now that's not LE so I'll likely get that, but didn't know if others are going to be available and how hard it is to buy them. Thanks.
In the past there have been both pins for the Halloween Party and for HalloweenTime in general (along with Haunted Mansion Holiday). Sometimes one of the designs will feature Zero (if it happens, it's usually the pin for HMH or Halloween Screams). I haven't had a lot of trouble finding the pins earlier in the season, but they will usually sell out. The MHP pins are usually released on the day of the first party. The other pins come out throughout HalloweenTime (so starting in mid-September through Halloween). In the past, they've sold all of the MHP pins during the day (anyone could buy them) in DL (this could change without notice). I doubt you'll find the LE pins available via the Shop Parks App (it seems more focused on WDW items in general and usually doesn't allow purchase of the LE pins - there are some exceptions, but I think those happen mostly by mistake).

I'm looking forward to seeing the similarities and differences between the parks, and which one I like better. DLR is my "home" park (as much as a park 6,500 miles away can be, still closer than WDW at 8,000 miles), and to be honest the planning requirements for WDW are just a little extreme... FP+ day is a week away so I have to have pretty much locked in what we are doing every day.
I've done both parties in one year (last year!). It's a lot of fun!

Guilty! lol We love the Halloween parties and have gone to many of them over the years. I don't mind the questions at all, I'm happy to share our experience! :)

I would try for Main Street. They do projections on the castle, Matterhorn, as well as the buildings down Main Street during the fireworks. You'll want to get curbside seating here, then as soon as the last parade float goes by - quickly move out into the center of the street so that you can see the fireworks. The other option is staking out a spot right in front of the castle and then grabbing a spot for the second parade, but this eats up a lot of time. If you want to do the treat trails or rides, that option probably isn't the best one.

The area to avoid would be at the very end of Main Street right in front of the hub, as there are trees on either side blocking the view of the fireworks and projections.

I really can't guess at fireworks cancellations. I know they do get cancelled for what seems even the slightest of winds. We haven't been to a party that has had fireworks cancelled (knock on wood!), so that's good. Not to say it never happens, but there seems to be a smaller chance during September and October. I've been told that if they do get cancelled, they play them for the next scheduled night (so if you go to a Friday party, they'll have them as Saturday's fireworks instead of the normal ones).

Hope this helps! :)
Yes, that helps! Thanks! How long do you need to stake out a spot in front of the castle to view the fireworks? Longer than an hour?

I'm pretty excited that i've begun to piece together my costume for the party! I'm going to be Belle (blue dress) with some minor tweaks. I'm having a custom skirt made from some really cute BATB fabric, instead of plain white. I just ordered a blue dress from amazon (fingers crossed it fits and works out). If it does then I just need to find a long sleeved collared white shirt. Getting excited!

Mines been sitting there for a week now Not happy
Mine is now gone, there is no temp left just the transaction . So that took a week because I bought our tickets at 12:30am the day they were released...

We are trying to decide what to do for dinner that night, book a table somewhere or just grab something as we go... I know we want to see the parade and fireworks so not sure wasting time on a sit down is worth it.

Any tips?

Mine is now gone, there is no temp left just the transaction . So that took a week because I bought our tickets at 12:30am the day they were released...

We are trying to decide what to do for dinner that night, book a table somewhere or just grab something as we go... I know we want to see the parade and fireworks so not sure wasting time on a sit down is worth it.

Any tips?
CS! No time for TS! (If someone in your party really wants TS, I'd suggest the latest reservation possible at Café Orleans, looks like that's one hour before park closes to general public, and sitting outside so you can still get the party atmosphere while dining.)

I wouldn't spend party hours at a TS meal. If you really want a TS meal, I would plan to have a meal before the party starts. Personally, I'd aim for about two hours before the party starts so that way if they do a Toontown Pre-Party again this year, you'll be able to check that out (the pre-party has started one hour before the party starts in past years, but they rarely announce anything about it beforehand). Just note that not all of the CS locations remain open during the party (e.g., Rancho del Zocalo closes during the party).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter