You HAVE to try this!! EBAY your way to DISNEY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go to USPS.com, they have charts for all of the postage rates. We printed them out, including the zone chart, for easy reference. Even easier, though, is to use the postage calculator on ebay. It's free, and it's easy. When you list your item, instead of clicking on flat shipping rates, you click on the rate calculator instead. You put in a weight for the package, how you are shipping it, how much handling fee you are charging, etc. and then the rest is figured out for you. The buyer clicks on the calculator after entering their zip code and the postage is figured out for them. When the item is won, the invoice automatically has the correct postage for that buyer on it.

I used to always charge a flat shipping rate, but I was always losing money when I shipped out West. It's not as noticable when it's a big ticket item, but when it's a $2 item and you undercharge shipping, well...they practically get it for free then. BTDT...!!!

Good luck! Ebay has been a blessing for me....I've earned all of the money I budgeted for food for our upcoming trip, just since the end of December!

If you are ending up with over $20 in zone 8, I would suggest not offering priority shipping. Maybe Parcel?

Simplified Fees - will default to priority - just scroll up or down

Postage Calculator @ USPS (This is not a link to the ebay one in the auctions)

If you have incorrectly figured postage on a few auctions, that would have been more than enough to pay for a small postal scale. Otherwise, I would suggest a digital scale as a last resort. I put DD on the scale, then put her on with the package and calculate. We have a good scale so we have been really accurate.

Definitely get a scale - I bought a $5 diet scale from Walmart's kitchen section. It weighs up to 7-lbs, and anything bigger I do on our regular scale. Don't forget to weigh WITH the packing material - it adds a bit!

I lost a good bit in shipping in the beginning - now I just charge a flat rate. For anything under 1-lb, I charge $4, since Priority mail ships to any zone for $3.85. I put the extra 15-cents in my box fund, in case I need to buy boxes or other shipping material. Oh, and I get free Delivery Confirmation by using the Shipping Assistant - before, I used to charge $4.50 to cover the DC.

If I have a bigger item (usually 3-lbs or more), I'll use the eBay shipping calculator so people don't pay too much. I want to have reasonable shipping so people will buy!

I just had my first bid retraction and it dropped my selling price almost $5. GRRRR I quess it's better to have a retraction than to not get the money but that is annoying. I still have a day and a half on the auction so hopefully it will get more action.

How do all of you ship videos and cds? I have priority video boxes but I have these auctions listed as shipping by media mail. I looked at the price of the bubble envelopes and they are expensive. I have different sized envelopes and bubble wrap so I can esentially make my own but wondered if that was the best way.

Have any of you ever had a "gut" feeling that someone who is bidding on one of your auctions is gonna be a NPB? I have someone who just put in a bid on my auction & took it over as high bidder, and so I checked out his bidding history & what he is bidding on right now, & he is high bidder on several auctions just like mine! Now my listing is higher than any others listed like it about $10 higher and I just have a feeling that it is some kid with no intentions of paying. They have feedback of 4, but they are from 2000, nothing recent. Any suggestions? The auction ends at 8:00 tonight just 5 hours away.

I got that gut feeling over our last computer sale. The person had a zero feedback, which I absoleutely can't stand! We do have in our terms that people with a zero fb needs to contact us.

Most do no problems. Also on our terms we have that winning bidding needs to contact us within 3 days of auction, just letting us know when or what type of payment. Usually we have no problems with that as well.

This one bidding bid first, asked a question later, found out that we did not include what he wanted, but he still wound up the highest bidder. So anyway, he bid, asked question later, and wound up winning.

He emailed us about a week after the auction and found out that he said he mailed us a payment. We're not holding our breath for it!

I'm thinking about cancelling this bid, would you? I know that I can file a NPB & a 2nd chance offer or get my fees back, but man I hate that time involved in that! This is a $167 auction. what would you guys do? Please help only about 1 1/2 hours left. Thanks! Sandy

Originally posted by sandy3550
I'm thinking about cancelling this bid, would you? I know that I can file a NPB & a 2nd chance offer or get my fees back, but man I hate that time involved in that! This is a $167 auction. what would you guys do? Please help only about 1 1/2 hours left. Thanks! Sandy

Sorry, I feel for you but I can't help. I don't know the rules about cancelling bids. But I just wanted to say that I hope it all works out!

Thanks for the kind words! I think I'm just gonna let it ride on out & see what happens. I had another bid, but this persons proxy won the high bid again, so now its up to $172. I'm hoping for alot of pixie dust that this goes smoothly and he pays! Sandy

Hi Sandy,
it is not too late to add to the description of the item that you reserve the right to cancel or refuse bids from anyone with less than 10 feedback comments.

That way you would have the option of refusing his high bid ~ should he win and sell to the next highest bidder. The only down fall is you leave yourself open to his feedback and you will probably get a negative from him :(

If you cancel the auction you take the chance of it not making it to the $$ it is now.

I am sending pixie dust your way ::yes::

Personally I wouldn't jump to conclusions. This guy hasn't done anything wrong yet. Maybe I am just naive, but I like to give the benefit of the doubt.

Maggie

Thanks for all of the GREAT information on this post!!! Reading this has FINALLY convinced me to become a seller instead of a habitual buyer!! LOL Anyway...still going thru the process of figuring out the shipping rates. I did what was suggested and went to USPS sight and printed out the shipping information. It looks like priority mail will be the best bet for most of the items that I want to ship..(clothing, small items). Would anyone suggest media mail to be the best option for paperback and hardback books??? Shipping them in lots can cause them to weigh quite a bit and I know that it would the shipping would be VERY high if I went priority on them. Also..I have a scale, if my items are under 1 lb, would I be okay to just charge a flat rate of 4.00 ? Priority is 3.85 for anything under a pound..and, I HATE it when people overcharge for shipping!!!!

Okay..sorry to ramble on & on..this is quite a big step for a buyer to become a seller..and, I'm kind of nervous! I want to do everything right but, it can be confusing!!!

Ohhh..one more thing......for people who want a certain price...is it best to use the reserve feature?? or just have a starting price that is close to what you want???

Okay..thanks again!!!!!:wave:

Well, I guess I didn't need to worry about my "gut" feeling after all!! That person was outbid & didn't win the auction PLUS it ended up closing for $30 more than what is common (and they paid right away!!!)! I appreciate all the pixie dust!

That way you would have the option of refusing his high bid ~ should he win and sell to the next highest bidder.

If he has already bid, it would be too late to change the TOS..you can add to it, but IMO it woudlnt' be right to change the rules mid stream. eBay would be on the bidder's side. When you change your description, the time you did it is shown. The bidder's time of bid would also show once the auction ended.

Glad it turned out ok for you.

I have been a lurker for about a month. I found this site while looking for information to become a DVC member. I too have been an ebay buyer for years...I recently had a baby and am now a stay at home mom. Baby was born with a condition that needs care and monitoring. I'm trying to get started with selling some stuff on ebay.

I've found the hardest thing is making my ads!! I type them and they sound as bland as a bowl of oatmeal.. any suggestions would be appreciated.

I know too somewhere in these pages there was info about a tracking program... I've misplaced the paper. I printed out the whole thread to read at my leisure and highlight info. DH was not too happy with me..

As I ramble and apologize at the same time...We are going to Disney in December with my sister and BIL's family. I am soooo excited I can hardly wait so I'm saving my change and have found a ton of things that might sell rather than giving it away...

I appreciate any info and advice from you amazing ebay gurus.. and feel honored to join the thread..h :hyper:

Quick question for the resident experts.... have you ever sold anything on ebay to raise money for a charity, and if so, do you state that in the sale information? My DM co-chairs an American Cancer Society Relay for Life team. I have been sort of "unofficially" in charge of secondary fundraising over the last few years. Anyhow, they are planning a yard sale for this May, but we have received several very nice donations, including a like-new woman's leather coat and I thought I might get more for them on ebay than I would at the yard sale.

I am a "slightly" experienced seller with 100% feedback, so that wouldn't be a problem. Just wondered it if was worth mentioning the charitable end of things in the auction, or if it was a waste of time............................Thanks in advance for your help........P:D

Helped clean out half of my DD's attic the other day and it was scary!!!!

TONS of baby and toddler clothes - either BRAND NEW and on the hangers (with tags) - or very good condition (Disney outfits and such) so rather than ship them off to the Salvation Army I dragged them home to give them a shot on eBay.. (Like I REALLY need MORE stuff to get rid of - LOL)..

Anyhow, I don't have time to fuss and list them individually so I was going to put them in "lots" of sizes..

Any hints on selling clothing - AND the shipping end would be appreciated.. Also starting prices.. I will only list them once, relist them, and if they don't sell they'll go to the Salvation Army because I can't keep them hanging around..

Thanks!

Katerkat mentioned a shipping assistant..??? What is this & where do you get it? I definately wanted to include the confirmation with my sales.

Also...I looked up the postage calculator on ebay last night & it looks very promising...just fill in the weight, originating zip code and any s&h that you want to add and buyers can figure out their own shipping! I like that idea..kind of takes the guess work out of it. Has anyone had any good luck using this feature??

I'm going to start my first auction on Friday...!!! Send me lots of pixie dust..! My DH has been doing nothing but rolling his eyes and being a general disbeliever about my ability to make money..I want to show him a thing or two!! LOL

Thanks!

C.Ann, when I buy baby clothes in lots (which I love to do to save on shipping) I look for lots that are all the same size. For example I would bid on a lot of 3 outfits that were all 12 months, but not if one were 6-9 and two were 12 months. A lot of people list that way, maybe thinking your child will wear them over time I guess. But I only look for the size I need right now.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I've noticed that I'm more likely to bid (and bid higher) if all the items in the lot look good together. I don't mean that they can be mixed and matched, just that they all kind of "match" in the picture. Weird, but I can't be the only one. I know I do it and I still do it. Say, it's a lot of three outfits and they're all in the pink family, the photo just looks better than if one is pink, one orange, and one green. Know what I mean?

I don't know if that's helpful or not from a selling point of view, but that's what I look for as a buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter