Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2023 (Nov. 2-5, 2023)

My watch clocked me in a couple minutes earlier since the course is longer than 13.1 (right, that's not just me?) - so which time do you guys share when sharing with friends, the 13.1 'unofficial time' or the time Disney provides?

My watch clocked me in a couple minutes earlier since the course is longer than 13.1 (right, that's not just me?) - so which time do you guys share when sharing with friends, the 13.1 'unofficial time' or the time Disney provides?
My watch also had the race longer - about 13.4

It’s not that the course is long, it’s a certified HM as measured using all the perfect tangents and no crowd weaving. It’s very difficult to run a perfect race with a group of thousands. I started and finished toward the front and tried to run the corners as best as I could and came out at 13.16 miles, quite happy with that. It’s surprising just how much weaving and dodging can add over the course of a race. That being said, the official net time is what it took to run a half.

Haha, it's a free country so you can share whatever time makes you happy. But, the chip time is the official time it took you to complete the certified half marathon course. If you want kudos for running the course inefficiently and adding extra distance in the same amount of time, by all means use that time. 🤣

It’s not that the course is long, it’s a certified HM as measured using all the perfect tangents and no crowd weaving. It’s very difficult to run a perfect race with a group of thousands. I started and finished toward the front and tried to run the corners as best as I could and came out at 13.16 miles, quite happy with that. It’s surprising just how much weaving and dodging can add over the course of a race. That being said, the official net time is what it took to run a half.
13.16 is actually remarkable. I'm not sure I've ever run a half marathon where I didn't end up at least .25 extra.

I think I managed a 13.1ish once out of many, many half’s - and I’m pretty sure it was because my GPS was off! I clocked a 13.73 for this one. My first marathon was Disney and it turned into an “ultra” at 27+ miles. I do actually try to stick to the tangents, but as a mid-pack run-walker, I’m still adding distance with the constant lateral moves to pass and get out of the way, plus going off course for photos, restrooms, etc.

My watch times are always within a couple seconds of the official time, so it doesn’t really matter which I share. For comparing to my training runs, I use my watch time and distance.

This year for W&D I think I ended up running 13.24, which is a little higher than average for me. I’m guessing the banks on the cloverleafs made it difficult to hit the tangents perfectly. Probably the closest I ever got to running the course along the ideal route was Princess one year.

1699634478677.jpeg

I ran the 5k for Dopey last year so efficiently I lost .08 of a mile. Not sure what happened there!

1699634650881.jpeg

This year for W&D I think I ended up running 13.24, which is a little higher than average for me. I’m guessing the banks on the cloverleafs made it difficult to hit the tangents perfectly. Probably the closest I ever got to running the course along the ideal route was Princess one year.

View attachment 809392

I ran the 5k for Dopey last year so efficiently I lost .08 of a mile. Not sure what happened there!

View attachment 809393
These are all really impressive. I don't pay attention at all to running the course efficiently and always end up with a decent chunk of extra distance. I registered 26.68 on the marathon this year.

I ran 27mi during the marathon in January. :tiptoe:

That being said, I wouldn't go on social media and say that I ran a marathon in whatever time my watch beeped at me and said "that was a marathon!" because I was nowhere near the finish line yet. My first marathon clocked in as *less* than 26.2mi according to my watch, and that's my current marathon PR. Both courses were certified by USATF.

These are all really impressive. I don't pay attention at all to running the course efficiently and always end up with a decent chunk of extra distance. I registered 26.68 on the marathon this year.

I think figuring out the ideal tangents really helps me focus on what I’m doing in that moment, and distracts me from thinking about how many miles I have left. All I care about is the curve right in front of me. When you’re in the groove, it almost feels like you’re Neo seeing the Matrix, lol.

75612b_b1efc1d92ff641bab478692c55c814e4~mv2.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter