Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2023 (Nov. 2-5, 2023)

at this point, I'm tired of this being a rumor or excuse for the issues with merch at race weekends. This has been offered up since the covid break. I feel like the only one that didn't have problems with amounts was the most recent SS?
I hear ya. We’re almost 4 years since COVID. I’m not accepting this as an excuse anymore.

I wonder if it's because they're selling more tickets (for anyone not running the half or challenge). My friend was so excited for the party because she thought it was going to be like an After Hours party with shorter lines. We ended up only staying for an hour after the official start time.

I heard rumors that there was some issue with the merch order (e.g., ordered the wrong amount, a shipment didn't come). Not sure what happened, but I feel like something unusual did happen. I've never seen the merch situation quite this bad and there isn't even as much listed on ebay as I would expect.
If anyone knows any CMs they should have them report back if pins show up in surplus at cast connection like W&D 2021s merch
at this point, I'm tired of this being a rumor or excuse for the issues with merch at race weekends. This has been offered up since the covid break. I feel like the only one that didn't have problems with amounts was the most recent SS?
SS had no 10k medal pins left by group 40

To echo @Bree, I lucked out this time and was Group 3 for the expo. They called groups 1-3 first andI was one of the first handful of people from the virtual queueto enter the expo and made a bee line for the Figment merch.

There were very few "I did it" and distance pins left on the shelf and none of the medal replica pins. I overheard someone ask a cast member, and they were going to restock some of the first two styles of pins, and told the people which exit to wait by as they wheeled them in. It looked like something out of the Walking Dead. The pins did not last long.

Did this only apply to pins or to also other merch like shirts and jackets?

Just got back from W&D and was quietly biting my tongue. But come on people what an amazing time and event. After party for runners and all. Various people complaint about how the event wasn’t perfect for them. Got news for you… you can’t expect the event to be perfectly planned for YOUR preferences. There’s roughly 30,000 runners that they try to accommodate. And all this news about lack of volunteers and it being Disney’s fault. Sorry to break it to you but after several conversations with random volunteers or voluntolds… they were broken by being berated, complained, whined, and cried too. They were done and burned not Disney but by a bunch of people who think they are perfect or Disney planning should be perfect for them.

Over 50% of the volunteers who signed up were a no-show. It was incredibly sad to see my favorite race weekend become a shell of itself. Long tables on the course that used to be staffed by personal friends of mine were empty. I hope Disney breaks down the cost of having to pay staff to man the expo, water stations, medals, etc., and compare it to a park pass. I’ve been doing W&D for twelve years, so I think I have perspective on how it used to be, and how it is now focused on charging more, offering less, and opening the parks faster.

Just got back from W&D and was quietly biting my tongue. But come on people what an amazing time and event. After party for runners and all. Various people complaint about how the event wasn’t perfect for them. Got news for you… you can’t expect the event to be perfectly planned for YOUR preferences. There’s roughly 30,000 runners that they try to accommodate. And all this news about lack of volunteers and it being Disney’s fault. Sorry to break it to you but after several conversations with random volunteers or voluntolds… they were broken by being berated, complained, whined, and cried too. They were done and burned not Disney but by a bunch of people who think they are perfect or Disney planning should be perfect for them.

There were CM that were running this weekend and were supposed to have time off, but were called in to work due to the volunteer shortages. One happens to be a friend of mine. He had to get up extra early to set up the 10K course in HS and then go run the race. We were at dinner Saturday and he got put on a last minute 6 hour shift to work the half.

I have not seen anything but valid complaints here and on social media. AWD were put in dangerous situations, Corral E was a complete mess the morning of the half, volunteer shortages led to self serve water stops at many of the tables and they ran out of fuel because that stop was self serve and runners were hoarding the sport beans.

Congrats to all runners!! So happy for everyone who participated! I was not at this race this year but it's been one of my favorites in the past.

That said, it's sad to hear about some of the operational issues and changes this year. I also didn't realize there's new runDisney management... hmm.

For example, the volunteers: come on, give them a park pass! The weird corrals. The 10k course was not appealing to me compared to prior 2023 runDisney 10k courses. And a disappointing half race course that front loaded the parks... I personally prefer — actually, love! — running through World Showcase at the end, it's so celebratory to run through as you're almost finished, and also way less crowded at that point in the race. It's such a memorable part of the races. Really bad choice in terms of runner experience, IMO.

The merch issues drive me fully bananas ... there's no excuse at this point for not offering better pre-order options (not just bundles!!), ordering more stock of obviously popular items, and getting it all delivered in time.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone who experienced issues, or has thoughts about the race course, plans to send feedback directly to runDisney?

There were CM that were running this weekend and were supposed to have time off, but were called in to work due to the volunteer shortages. One happens to be a friend of mine. He had to get up extra early to set up the 10K course in HS and then go run the race. We were at dinner Saturday and he got put on a last minute 6 hour shift to work the half.

I have not seen anything but valid complaints here and on social media. AWD were put in dangerous situations, Corral E was a complete mess the morning of the half, volunteer shortages led to self serve water stops at many of the tables and they ran out of fuel because that stop was self serve and runners were hoarding the sport beans.
Spot on, Bree.

The AWD and corral E messes are especially egregious to me. rD has long made a reputation for itself of inclusiveness and providing the logistics and accommodations to enable people of many varying abilities to feel welcome and equally part of the races… I’ve heard directly from multiple people who were AWDs or in corral E who came out of this weekend feeling less than, left out, unwelcomed, and unsafe. That’s just awful and in direct opposition to how rD used to run things.

Add in the refusal to properly plan ahead for staffing - regardless of whether the positions are voluntary or paid - and the whole thing feels like amateur hour. From an organization that has in the past been the gold standard of providing races for the masses. That’s hugely disappointing.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone who experienced issues, or has thoughts about the race course, plans to send feedback directly to runDisney?
They emailed me a survey… I was brutally honest in it.

Last edited:

I was emailed a survey from runDisney about the race weekend, so I included my feedback there!

The merch issues drive me fully bananas ... there's no excuse at this point for not offering better pre-order options (not just bundles!!), ordering more stock of obviously popular items, and getting it all delivered in time.

I really wish they'd have better pre-order options, even though it's a little painful not to get my AP/DVC discount (plus the extra processing fee). Years ago I remember being able to order a single pin instead of the bundles (that's how I have my SW half and Everest pins from I think 2015). And there's still not a photo for the Disneyland half jacket/tee bundle. I have a hard time blindly ordering it 😂

I heard rumors that there was some issue with the merch order
I hear ya. We’re almost 4 years since COVID. I’m not accepting this as an excuse anymore.

All the more reason to offer merch pre-orders for registered runners, at least for their race distance(s) and challenge(s). They know within a small percentage exactly how much merch to order, and should something get delayed, they have your info and can mail it to you after the weekend.

Instead, they seem to be making bad estimates and excuses, and when things are late they end up dumped at CC or the outlets weeks later. This type of preorder would not only make runners happy, it would save them on overage costs and keep them at least even on sales. It's really a no-brainer.

The AWD and corral E messes are especially egregious to me. rD has long made a reputation for itself of inclusiveness and providing the logistics and commodities to enable people of many varying abilities to feel welcome and equally part of the races… I’ve heard directly from multiple people who were AWDs or in corral E who came out of this weekend feeling less than, left out, unwelcomed, and unsafe. That’s just awful and in direct opposition to how rD used to run things.

It was my friend's first runDisney weekend in a long time and she ended up bailing the half after mile 3. The Corral E mess wasn't the whole reason, but I think it contributed to it.

I’ve also bitten my tongue quite a bit, but since you’ve opened the discussion…

I don’t think ANYONE expects “perfection.” And those of us who’ve been running rD races for a decade or more are very aware that no race goes down perfectly. We roll with a lot of major and minor issues and, frankly, put up with a lot of hassle to run rD races because of the many special elements only Disney can provide. We wouldn’t keep coming back and shelling out enormous amounts of money if we didn’t enjoy them!

But we also know that things have been run better in the past, because we’ve experienced better. We KNOW rD is capable of better. They’ve shown us better. rD/Disney set a very high bar long ago and like it or not, that is our basis of comparison. An argument might be made that it’s a new era and we should readjust our expectations: I’ve given myself that very argument. But the truth is the price of racing rD keeps escalating, while the experience isn’t always improving and sometimes is noticeably diminished. I think that’s what you’re seeing in negative comments.

Personally, I was over W&D weekend as of last year and I’m not sure how I got sucked in again this year! But I’ve made a note on my calendar to avoid temptation when W&D 2024 registration rolls around and skip it, or “just” sign up for the 5K or 10K and call it good. I absolutely loved Marathon and SS weekends this year, and am still excited to do those again! And yes: my expectations will still be high.

Personally, I was over W&D weekend as of last year and I’m not sure how I got sucked in again this year! But I’ve made a note on my calendar to avoid temptation when W&D 2024 registration rolls around and skip it, or “just” sign up for the 5K or 10K and call it good. I absolutely loved Marathon and SS weekends this year, and am still excited to do those again! And yes: my expectations will still be high.

What is it about W&D weekend specifically? This was my first one.

Undermanned hydration stations are a recipe for disaster. It's an unfortunate situation and ultimately the blame for everything that happens as a result lies with RD and WDW.

I think it depends on what is considered "undermanned". If there are not enough people to keep the water and Powerade cups filled so that there isn't anything for a runner to grab, that's definitely an issue. If it's just a matter of not having enough volunteers to have people handing the cups out, that's a different issue. Having cups handed out is a nice to have, in my opinion, not a necessity.

What is it about W&D weekend specifically? This was my first one.
I think a large part of it is beyond anything rD/WDW related: it just keeps ending up as a VERY busy time in my life and trying to prep for it whilst juggling a million other things is stressful. Add in the super high resort rates. Then add in it being the first race of a new season, when things aren’t often well-figured out yet. Finally, I’m over the new IP themes: I miss the days when the theme was… Wine and Dine. Unfortunately, the memory of all that fades by the time registration comes along, and I keep signing up lol! NOT THIS TIME!!

I think it depends on what is considered "undermanned". If there are not enough people to keep the water and Powerade cups filled so that there isn't anything for a runner to grab, that's definitely an issue. If it's just a matter of not having enough volunteers to have people handing the cups out, that's a different issue. Having cups handed out is a nice to have, in my opinion, not a necessity.

There were stations I went by where they had two volunteers—one on each side of the road. It wasn’t an issue for me because I was done by 6:30, but I was definitely worried for all of the later corals. I noticed that the early water stations were fully staffed, but became much more empty in the later miles. Also the green volunteer shirts were replaced by CM name tags by that point. I’m also a little peeved that the official RD site for W&D shows a picture of running through Animal Kingdom. I miss that part of the course!
1699550962986.png

This is much better than 9 miles of highway!

1699550840514.jpeg

I find if you miss merch you really want it gets cheaper the farther away from the event. I finally was able to get the 2023 WDW Marathon loungefly for a decent price last month.
This is absolutely true, I noticed the same thing when I was tracking medal sales, for awhile people were paying ludicrous prices for medals and the highest sales came literally on the day of the race or the day after, usually Buy-It-Now sales. There's probably some panic over the limited nature of these items but inevitably someone is going to decide further down the line that they don't need something they got in January (a loungefly bag for example).

I’m also a little peeved that the official RD site for W&D shows a picture of running through Animal Kingdom. I miss that part of the course!
They keep doing this and it's a bit weird. I think we've had a few instances here where people get excited because Magic Kingdom is featured on a race weekend graphic that doesn't traditionally feature MK and someone ends up reminding everyone that they do this a lot and it's not something we should read into. I'd consider doing this weekend if they returned to the old MK to Epcot route but I'm assuming that they'll keep the current structure of the half until they show otherwise.

Getting a little nervous for MW now. And I really can't believe people list a $20 pin for $250. That takes real gumption!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter