When do you think you'll be back?

That’s annoying. We are under lockdown and a stay at home order but they’ve left outdoor rinks and tobogganing hills open. Just with limits. It’s the one thing the kids can do and have fun.

Exactly! I'm guessing you're in Ontario?

We have an Aug 2021 trip booked from our Sep 2020 that we pushed out by almost a year. Expecting it may need to be further delayed but I like the hope of dreaming and planning!

I'm hoping for a work conference in Orlando. It would be very cool if it was in 2022. I can't see any happening in 2021. :(

I am struggling as well. I didn’t realize how much of my mental health was having a trip to plan and getting away each February/March. Normally around this time we are pulling out our suitcases, reviewing our fastpasses, buying sunscreen... it feels strange and sad to not do any of that. And then I feel guilty for being so lucky to travel every year - surely missing one year is not a big deal. But coupled with everything else going on and the uncertainty it has been a hard winter. If I knew I could for sure go next March 2022 I would feel better. But not knowing if we can even do that has put a damper on my mood.

I don’t tell any friends or coworkers this as I don’t want to sound spoiled. But I know my fellow disboarders will get understand.

And, Mr. Biden has just instituted a quarantine for those arriving in the US from other countries. Missed the length, but I’m guessing it’s for 14 days.

So glad to see this. Hopefully he will be able to get this situation under control for the US, which will ultimately benefit not only the US, but those of us who want to go there safely!

I am struggling as well. I didn’t realize how much of my mental health was having a trip to plan and getting away each February/March. Normally around this time we are pulling out our suitcases, reviewing our fastpasses, buying sunscreen... it feels strange and sad to not do any of that. And then I feel guilty for being so lucky to travel every year - surely missing one year is not a big deal. But coupled with everything else going on and the uncertainty it has been a hard winter. If I knew I could for sure go next March 2022 I would feel better. But not knowing if we can even do that has put a damper on my mood.

I don’t tell any friends or coworkers this as I don’t want to sound spoiled. But I know my fellow disboarders will get understand.

Definitely understand!!! I hate to complain too, because it's such a "first world issue". We missed our vacation last summer. We are going to miss our vacation this summer (which was supposed to be Disney), too. We had literally just decided to spend a few nights in a beach house on PEI in June, but we found out today that, thanks to Covid, our daughter's surgery is being delayed again, which means we'll probably have to cancel our "mini trip" this summer, too.

I'm trying to console myself by planning our 2022 trip, but even that is hard... because, honestly, unless things improve a lot (nighttime entertainment, character dining and character M&Gs come back and masks are no longer required), we won't be going.

we found out today that, thanks to Covid, our daughter's surgery is being delayed again, which means we'll probably have to cancel our "mini trip" this summer, too.
I am so sorry to hear this news. Can i just say here, COVID-19 SUCKS THE BIG ONE?!?! Not sure about the wording you're hearing in your province but here "medical treatments" are listed as "essential" and as such I can leave the house for them but DANG, not if the facility isn't open to provide said treatments. Same goes for you but it has to be a thousand times worse because you have to try to deal with watching your child suffer while trying to contain your own frustration, anger and fears. Again, I'm sorry :(

I am so sorry to hear this news. Can i just say here, COVID-19 SUCKS THE BIG ONE?!?! Not sure about the wording you're hearing in your province but here "medical treatments" are listed as "essential" and as such I can leave the house for them but DANG, not if the facility isn't open to provide said treatments. Same goes for you but it has to be a thousand times worse because you have to try to deal with watching your child suffer while trying to contain your own frustration, anger and fears. Again, I'm sorry :(
Wholeheartedly agree. My kid isn’t doing well emotionally and it’s tearing me apart. Online school is a mess, she never leaves her room. I think we are in the darkest part of this pandemic right now and we are all hurting. It’s one thirty in the morning here and I’m up because of my racing heart. The anxiety is real. As you say, the whole thing sucks! @mshanson3121, I’m sorry about the postponed surgery and likely cancelled trip.

At this point it’s all started to affect everyone in our households mental state. Not the not being able to go to WDW but the not being able to go anywhere in general.

In fact, that’s mostly why I started making plans to get back, to have it to look forward to. Not this year though. Aiming for 2022.

Wholeheartedly agree. My kid isn’t doing well emotionally and it’s tearing me apart. Online school is a mess, she never leaves her roo, m. I think we are in the darkest part of this pandemic right now and we are all hurting. It’s one thirty in the morning here and I’m up because of my racing heart. The anxiety is real. As you say, the whole thing sucks! @mshanson3121, I’m sorry about the postponed surgery and likely cancelled trip.
Nights are both my best and worst times of the day. Best because no one else is around to notice that i'm still awake and that means it's perfectly acceptable to do as little as I want to -- often just sitting on the couch pretending i might eventually fall asleep. Worst because no one else is around to notice that I'm still awake so I'm lonely :( I don't really want company because it's tiring to "be" Anxiety is my unwelcome companion both day and night, in the house and outside. It was even worse when i was caring for a teenager who was also going thru sleepless nights due to anxiety. Being a parent is really hard at times but when we're not our best person and needing to care for an aching child it's all that much harder.

It is comforting to know that we're not alone, removes that "no one get how hard this is" as well as the shame/blame we might place on ourselves. You're doing your best right now, remember that! It hurts, like physically hurts to watch your child suffer and if you need to reach out to someone who has walked that road (at times barely crawling myself) feel free. -- Notice it's now 2:38 and I'm still up

Yes, exactly. For our situation, the facility is still open, but because they've had to implement much stricter protocols (one example, having to allow time to "air out" and do extra cleaning in the OR before bringing in another case), everything is taking longer, and they are able to process less cases now. I know many places are swamped with cases so that is impacting things. Thankfully that's not happened here, yet, however what we are running into is that we now have so many of our doctors, nurses and other essential medical workers in isolation due to contracting or being exposed to the virus, that they're canceling tests, non-essential surgeries etc... because they just literally don't have anyone to do them.

Wholeheartedly agree. My kid isn’t doing well emotionally and it’s tearing me apart. Online school is a mess, she never leaves her room. I think we are in the darkest part of this pandemic right now and we are all hurting. It’s one thirty in the morning here and I’m up because of my racing heart. The anxiety is real. As you say, the whole thing sucks! @mshanson3121, I’m sorry about the postponed surgery and likely cancelled trip.

Agree. We're now (for all intents and purposes) a year into this thing. Their prediction of "second wave being worse" came true. Winter is normally the hardest time for us all anyways, but couple it with Covid...? The fatigue is real. My one hope is the saying, "The darkest hour comes just before the dawn." May this be our darkest hour, and may dawn be breaking on the horizon soon.

At this point it’s all started to affect everyone in our households mental state. Not the not being able to go to WDW but the not being able to go anywhere in general.

In fact, that’s mostly why I started making plans to get back, to have it to look forward to. Not this year though. Aiming for 2022.

Yes! I think I said this elsewhere a while ago, maybe even on this thread, LOL, but.. one day DH saw me looking at Disney trip stuff and said, "Why torture yourself when it's so far away?" And I told him, because it gives me something to look forward to; it gives me hope.

Nights are both my best and worst times of the day. Best because no one else is around to notice that i'm still awake and that means it's perfectly acceptable to do as little as I want to -- often just sitting on the couch pretending i might eventually fall asleep. Worst because no one else is around to notice that I'm still awake so I'm lonely :( I don't really want company because it's tiring to "be" Anxiety is my unwelcome companion both day and night, in the house and outside. It was even worse when i was caring for a teenager who was also going thru sleepless nights due to anxiety. Being a parent is really hard at times but when we're not our best person and needing to care for an aching child it's all that much harder.

It is comforting to know that we're not alone, removes that "no one get how hard this is" as well as the shame/blame we might place on ourselves. You're doing your best right now, remember that! It hurts, like physically hurts to watch your child suffer and if you need to reach out to someone who has walked that road (at times barely crawling myself) feel free. -- Notice it's now 2:38 and I'm still up

Wish I could give you a hug. Must have been something in the air last night - I had a hard time sleeping last night, too. For me, it was memories of my father. Sometimes, it's still so hard to fathom that he's gone, how much life has changed in just a year. A year ago we were teasing back and forth because we were going to be facing each other at Super Bowl. He was HEALTHY. Ate right, never smoked a day in his life, was fit... and 3.5 months later after some fluke dizziness we're being told he has stage 4 brain metastases and has months to live. And he didn't even get that. A few weeks later he was gone. It is sometimes so hard to wrap your mind around that. It's funny, we talk about the importance of making memories, how precious they'll be some day, and how much joy they'll bring us - but no one ever talks about how painful they will be, too. I know there will come a day when the memories will no longer hurt, and honestly, I'm starting to get there. There are definitely times now I can remember things, talk about my father, even laugh at certain memories, without the tears. But I'm not fully there yet. It's definitely a process.

I feel like we are all grieving. We may not all be grieving the loss of loved ones, but I think to varying degrees, we're all grieving the loss of our sense of normal, our sense of security, our sense of freedom, perhaps even our sense of faith in people (man has that been sorely tested this year), our sense of direction, our hope, our friendships and relationships, even the little things that might sustain us in hard times, like being able to go to a movie with a friend, or of course, go on a vacation. And yes, I fully acknowledge that even amidst this great trial, we are blessed. When we consider the 1918 pandemic, we have phones and email and Messenger and Face Time through which we can stay connected to loved ones. We have medical advancements that are keeping the losses, while still great, less than they would have been 100 years ago. We have economic response plans that are helping to minimize the financial impact on businesses and individuals alike - not saying the impact isn't still real and sometimes harsh, but less than it could have been. I think it's important to try and keep that perspective alive - but at the same time, it doesn't diminish the very real impact this is all still having. And, I also think that we became far more accustomed to, or reliant on things like external socialization, wider travel, being able to a store, than they were 100 years ago. Also, most women were still stay-at-home mothers then, so if the schools were shut down, it wasn't a big deal. For that matter, education wasn't even compulsory in all the states/provinces then so many children wouldn't have been in school anyways, or would have already been home-educated. So, there are certain ways in which we're better off, but in other ways, I think the pandemic has impacted us even more deeply than it would have in the past.

As you said, I find it so helpful to have a place where we can freely talk about how we're feeling, the struggles we're having, without being shamed for it, or it being turned into a contest of "Who has it worse?". It is nice to know we're not alone.

Thinking borders going to be closed/flights shut down?

Well borders are supposed to be closed for non essential already. But the US hasn’t been following that for flights. I have a feeling they may start that. And they could make people quarantine at a specific location like they did when this all started for people coming here from China

I have a trip booked for a week in December 2021. Have already cancelled July 2020 (for a family member), January 2021, May 2021...the only downside (for me) of being a DVC member is that it's tough to book a solid week on short notice. I lost only 23 (banked) points in this UY but I stand to lose another 70 if I can't travel before March 31, 2022. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter