When do you think you'll be back?

I just booked next Christmas as yesterday was my 11 months out and made the mistake of posting on FB and the warnings/ flak I got .. let’s say I’m taking a FB break. I reassured everyone I have cancelled 5 vacations previously and will again if needed and I’m not out running around maskless , kissing strangers and licking elevator buttons. That i am educated , and a HCP ..who is reminded daily by her employer that if I get covid they all die, while homeschooling two kiddos since September one with autism and trying to keep track of my two older kids and meet their increased mental health needs . The pressure is immense . I need something simply to look forward to and I’m starting to feel if by next Xmas that’s 2 years since the pandemic started , if we haven’t got it under control by then .. maybe it simply won’t go away .

I get it. The pressure is getting to me right now as well. We were supposed to be on a trip last March break and that's when everything locked down. I, like everyone, thought it would be over soon. Then it wasn't. Still it isn't. I have a cruise booked for this December, to replace the one we were supposed to be on last December. I want it to be a back to back but no one can say if that will be possible. I am tempted to book Disney or Universal for at least a week, as a back up. I really hope the vaccine will help improve things.

I can't stand facebook and all the self righteous know it all's and self proclaimed "scientists" and medical experts. I only go on there because I have to for work. And then I get distracted by all the idiot posts out there and just get in a bad mood. So I avoid it and definitely don't post really. I can't too much because of my job. I think it would be fun to have a fake FB account though tell everyone what I think. LOL I have blocked some people so I don't see their daily rants anymore when I scroll through.
Anyways... yes, I get needing something to look forward to. I think if we were told we can all travel by December 1, or January 1, or Feb 2022, we'd be fine with that. At least for me, it's the unknown. Here we are in January and last March we thought oh for sure we'd be in a better place by now, and here we are with stay at home orders, cases going up etc. Even if we do book something for next December I still don't think I'd get excited about going until possible this summer, after we see how things are going with vaccine, numbers going down, hopefully changes in border situation, etc.
It's just feels worse right now because it's January. It's cold. Kids are driving us crazy at home all the time. Can't even escape anywhere for a coffee or visit with a friend and getting excited to do something in -20 weather outside with the people you're stuck with all day long isn't appealing.

I can't stand facebook and all the self righteous know it all's and self proclaimed "scientists" and medical experts. I only go on there because I have to for work. And then I get distracted by all the idiot posts out there and just get in a bad mood. So I avoid it and definitely don't post really. I can't too much because of my job. I think it would be fun to have a fake FB account though tell everyone what I think. LOL I have blocked some people so I don't see their daily rants anymore when I scroll through.
Anyways... yes, I get needing something to look forward to. I think if we were told we can all travel by December 1, or January 1, or Feb 2022, we'd be fine with that. At least for me, it's the unknown. Here we are in January and last March we thought oh for sure we'd be in a better place by now, and here we are with stay at home orders, cases going up etc. Even if we do book something for next December I still don't think I'd get excited about going until possible this summer, after we see how things are going with vaccine, numbers going down, hopefully changes in border situation, etc.
It's just feels worse right now because it's January. It's cold. Kids are driving us crazy at home all the time. Can't even escape anywhere for a coffee or visit with a friend and getting excited to do something in -20 weather outside with the people you're stuck with all day long isn't appealing.
If I said it’s comforting to hear others are struggling as much as I am, is that awful. I’m having a really tough time right now and hearing similar stories makes me feel less alone, less troubled. So thank you everyone for telling your stories. We are hoping for November/December of this year. It’s booked, but I’m not able to get excited. I’ve been doing okay until this month. My eldest daughter, 16, is really struggling. It’s so difficult to see her stress. She misses her swimming and her friends. School is incredibly demanding and she just seems to have lost her sparkle. Nothing is tougher than seeing your child in pain. I’m trying to support her, but there is nothing I can do to fix any of this.

I did catch up with friends on the phone this weekend. It helped quite a bit. And I’m planning trips as best as I can.

Oh do I feel this. Normally we'd "survive" the winter by skiing and snowmobiling. Whelp... can't do either of those this year. Our summer drought has continued on into the winter and we've hardly had any snow, and the ski hills were just shut down anyways. It may sound trivial, but those were HUGE stress relievers for me. This year has been horrible, not just due to Covid, but due to several personal losses and trials, and... I'm ready for a break. But... hard to say when that will come - and THAT is what I find so hard.

And as far as the online issue - I get that too. And honestly, this site is not better (well the Canadian board is), but on the main boards right now, those same idiots are there. You know the ones - the ignorant, can't understand science folk, who probably imagine themselves dressing up as William Wallace screaming about their freedom and rights, leaving passive-aggressive laughing emojis on anyone who dares to agree with shut downs and lock downs etc... I have lost so much faith in humanity this year.

Oh do I feel this. Normally we'd "survive" the winter by skiing and snowmobiling. Whelp... can't do either of those this year. Our summer drought has continued on into the winter and we've hardly had any snow, and the ski hills were just shut down anyways. It may sound trivial, but those were HUGE stress relievers for me. This year has been horrible, not just due to Covid, but due to several personal losses and trials, and... I'm ready for a break. But... hard to say when that will come - and THAT is what I find so hard.

And as far as the online issue - I get that too. And honestly, this site is not better (well the Canadian board is), but on the main boards right now, those same idiots are there. You know the ones - the ignorant, can't understand science folk, who probably imagine themselves dressing up as William Wallace screaming about their freedom and rights, leaving passive-aggressive laughing emojis on anyone who dares to agree with shut downs and lock downs etc... I have lost so much faith in humanity this year.
Right there with you....

When do you think (realistically) your next trip will be? Are any worried that you may not get back?

To answer my own question - we're planning on June 2022. However, I am a bit worried about what the cost will be - between the dollar and then the inevitable Disney price increases. I'm afraid it may end up being too much. If that's the case, I am hoping to do a very short Christmas trip maybe November 2021 to use our comp tickets, if things are "back to normal".
I have already booked a hotel in Florida for 10 days in August 2021. As the situation becomes more clear and the border situation improves I will book some days at Disney.

Back in late March. I get it. The closures, less service, fewer hours, masks, less entertainment, less dining options, no fast passes (huge point for me as I despise lines). But the way I see it. You still get Disney, and with lower crowds, much cheaper (and easier to book) hotels, and hopefully emptier resorts and pool areas. And supposedly they’re opening Blizzard Beach by that time (fingers, fingers!!) May be completely off here but my kids are growing up fast and I ain’t staying home any more. If I end up wandering around the resorts for days and never step foot in the parks, still beats being stuck at home gaining weight at an alarming rate.

Agreed

So another blow... we just moved to red at midnight which means they closed the outdoor rink and sliding hill. So there goes that, too.

That’s annoying. We are under lockdown and a stay at home order but they’ve left outdoor rinks and tobogganing hills open. Just with limits. It’s the one thing the kids can do and have fun.

We are now looking at sometime in the fall. If our trip doesn’t happen then I don’t when it will. We have tickets and flight credits to use.

We plan on getting the vaccine as soon as we can. And I’m being hopefully as more and more people get the shot things will improve. We won’t go if there is still a quarantine etc

So another blow... we just moved to red at midnight which means they closed the outdoor rink and sliding hill. So there goes that, too.

Uggh oh no .. where are you ? I thought everyone’s numbers were kinda on rev downward slide. We are down to under 20 active here (kfla)

I’ve taken medication for depression/anxiety for most of my adult life. By this point it’s very well managed and very very rarely a concern . I’ve developed so many tools over my adult life to manage it that I know what to do and how to go about it . Not this year.

I was unaware of how critical hope ,and planning for a trip, hugging my relatives, poking around the mall with my sister, having a tea with a friend etc were . On their surface no one of those things is too big to sacrifice and I feel a strong pull to do what’s right so I gladly give them up to help fight this Covid beast and keep all of us safe . But I felt myself sinking lower and lower and feeling combative and angry and depressed by the news any time I turned it on . I was waking up with a pit in my stomach and had to use every trick in my mental health arsenal to fight it. I even thought of posting a number of times to ask if anyone was struggling as much as me . Our resident airmiles guru and friend Donald shared her struggles a week or two ago and it made me feel heard and human to know someone else was having such a rough go right now too . Made me feel less alone.

I have a good life and so much to be grateful for and I will most definitely be ok. But vacation planning was such a joy in my life and got me through hard days. It was no small thing . I need that long range planning and simple joy back in my life. I get it , and if anyone else is struggling I am only a pm away .:grouphug:

Last edited:
I’ve taken medication for depression/anxiety for most of my adult life. By this point it’s very well managed and very very rarely a concern . I’ve developed so many tools over my adult life to manage it that I know what to do and how to go about it . Not this year.

I was unaware of how critical hope ,and planning for a trip, hugging my relatives, poking around the mall with my sister, having a tea with a friend etc were . On their surface no one of those things is too big to sacrifice and I feel a strong pull to do what’s right so I gladly give them up to help fight this Covid beast and keep all of us safe . But I felt myself sinking lower and lower and feeling combative and angry and depressed by the news any time I turned it on . I was waking up with a pit in my stomach and had to use every trick in my mental health arsenal to fight it. I even thought of posting a number of times to ask if anyone was struggling as much as me . Our resident airmiles guru and friend Donald shared her struggles a week or two ago and it made me feel heard and human to know someone else was having such a rough go right now too . Made me feel less alone.

I have a good life and so much to be grateful for and I will most definitely be ok. But vacation planning was such a joy in my life and got me through hard days. It was no small thing . I need that long range planning and simple joy back in my life. I get it , and if anyone else is struggling I am only a pm away .:grouphug:
I think so many of us are struggling. I had bouts of anxiety on and off through my adult life, but ever since I figured out my own coping skills I have managed it without much difficulty. But this is so different, it has never been so bad for so long, and like you, so many of my coping strategies just aren't available. I have been doing some online coaching through my work's Employee Assistance Program but I have been debating whether I should reach out to my family doctor too. Also it doesn't help that physically, my anxiety causes breathing problems, which is not the best when I'm already worried about a killer respiratory virus going around!

We were supposed to be going to Disney next week. I am hopeful that this time next year might be a possibility, but I wish I could plan with more certainty!

I get it. I feel the same way about trip planning. Our trips are like a break from life so to speak, and planning them was yet another thing that got us through the dreary winters. To not have that is definitely sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter