Walking Place, for Wishers walking their races

Saturday - 30 minutes of dance
Monday - 20 minutes of zumba, 30 minutes of dance
Tuesday - 20 minutes of zumba/dance, 55 minutes walking (soccer field)

Walked the Cincinnati Half Marathon yesterday. Personal Best time of 3 hours 13 minutes. Pace was 14:44 mm. Very exciting. don't know if I will ever be that fast again!! Next Half is the Princess.

Great thread but where did everybody go?

I was wondering this also.:confused3 From reading the posts its seems that everybody is walk/running or just running so there are very few, just walkers.

DW and I are strickly walkers, however I am a much faster walker when on my own. Our main goal of 2011 was to walk the 5K and Donald together and then I would do Mickey by myself. Things worked out so well we are heading to DL in Sept. to get our C2C Medals.:cool1:

Already have reservations at FW for 2012 Marathon Weekend so we must be hooked.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I am still here.....

I am strictly a walker as well but do admit that I would like to be able to be a walker/jogger only to be able to be quicker on the course. I would like to do more marathons but being on the course for 7 hours is killer for me. Fortunatley the 2 years I walked the marathon it wasn't really hot and disney has a liberal time limit but most marathons I have looked at have 6 or 6.5 hour time limits and my best is about 6:50.

I continue to lurk on this thread but for the most part I've moved on the walk/run combination. After my Walking half marathon, it seemed like I was getting the biggest speed bang for the buck by doing the combination over working on improving walking alone.

Hockey Chic - If you don't mind a bit of a road trip, the Cleveland Marathon has a course limit of 8 hours. I did the half last year and the course is "mostly" flat. There one decent sized hill in Miles 11-12.

Is this the one in May? Thanks for the info. I am doing a 1/2 marathon that weekend and my son is doing a marathon but no always up for a road trip.:thumbsup2

I mostly walk with a wee bit of running. I'm trying to add Chi Running to my mix just to help get my pace up. I'm at a 14.5-15 min. pace without any running. I can't add too much running due to prior back issues. I really worry about the impact. I've looked at race walking and that looks like that would really throw the spine out of whack.

I walked a half last Oct. and will be doing one in June and October this year. I'm booked at WDW for the half next January and will sign up when the race becomes available. Would so love to get my pace up to 13.5 minute or even 12 if I added a bit of running.

Is this the one in May? Thanks for the info. I am doing a 1/2 marathon that weekend and my son is doing a marathon but no always up for a road trip.:thumbsup2

Right, that's the one in May. Ohio has some fall marathons with some longer time limits as well. Columbus in October is 7.5 hours and USAF (Dayton) is 7 Hours. Columbus has an actual walking division, USAF is just walker friendly.

Glad to see this forum active again. Maybe it is the long winter across the country and everyone is getting "antsy" to start walking again. I did a 10 mile training walk/run today. I am putting in a little bit of running but am not sure it is helpful. Sometimes I feel walking is faster for me and less taxing. other days, I feel like a bit of running. My next race is the Princess Half in 3 weeks. After that, the Cincinnati Heart Mini Marathon Half Marathon. In April, the Nashville Country Music Half Marathon. Most of every race will be walking for me.

Meg

Jeremy I did USAF just this past September. I loved alot of things about this event but there where parts of the course I really didn't like but seeing the soilders along the course and actually doing the race in full combat gear was very inspirational and LOVED the bling.

I'm a former walk/runner now just walker. Doing my first race at the Princess coming up!

I don't walk *that* much slower than my running, and it doesn't hurt my body nearly as much (legs, knees, ankles in particular) I switched to walking because I got myself pregnant during training- lol- and felt more comfortable walking. I might stick with more walking even after baby though- it just feels better for my knees!

Very excited for the half coming up! It's going to be fun. I hope. LOL

I did the 10K portion of the USAF in 2009. It was my first event longer than 5K. I went to college at Wright State University and I have family that live in the area. I didn't have any problems but I have read things especially about parking, and the long stretch in the full along the flight lines. This year I'm doing the ORRRC half marathon in Xenia. It's a smaller race with a 6:30 hour limit for the full and I think 4:00 for the half. That seems to be the trend around here expecially in the smaller races. Making the half marathon very walker friendly and the full marathon for fast walkers and runners.

I mostly walk with a wee bit of running. I'm trying to add Chi Running to my mix just to help get my pace up. I'm at a 14.5-15 min. pace without any running. I can't add too much running due to prior back issues. I really worry about the impact. I've looked at race walking and that looks like that would really throw the spine out of whack.

I walked a half last Oct. and will be doing one in June and October this year. I'm booked at WDW for the half next January and will sign up when the race becomes available. Would so love to get my pace up to 13.5 minute or even 12 if I added a bit of running.

My walking only effort in January for the Marathon portion of Goofy was completed in 4:56:28. I tried some Race Walking while training but it proved to be slower than Chi Walking and it did not feel as comfortable. Today, DW and I walked the 2nd Annual 5K Make A Wish Walk/Run in Sunrise, Fl. While walking with DW I decided to give a short burst of speed and held a 6:50mm pace for a short distance, again walking. We will be at WDW in Jan. 2012 for my 2nd marathon and Goofy with a goal of 4:30 or under.

I too can not run or even jog so rapid turn-over using Chi Walking following a year of more intense training will reduce my time. What better way to usher in the 62nd year of my life.

Be careful with the introduction of jogging into your training but rest assured, faster speeds and lower times can also be achieved by walking.

My walking only effort in January for the Marathon portion of Goofy was completed in 4:56:28. I tried some Race Walking while training but it proved to be slower than Chi Walking and it did not feel as comfortable. Today, DW and I walked the 2nd Annual 5K Make A Wish Walk/Run in Sunrise, Fl. While walking with DW I decided to give a short burst of speed and held a 6:50mm pace for a short distance, again walking. We will be at WDW in Jan. 2012 for my 2nd marathon and Goofy with a goal of 4:30 or under.

I too can not run or even jog so rapid turn-over using Chi Walking following a year of more intense training will reduce my time. What better way to usher in the 62nd year of my life.

Be careful with the introduction of jogging into your training but rest assured, faster speeds and lower times can also be achieved by walking.

:thumbsup2 Maybe I should be reading Chi Walking :idea:

I read Chi Walking, and while it was a good read, I just apparently am not coordinated enough to incorporate the 'lean' I need to. I'm all for using gravity to my advantage though! I need to read it again.

Thought I would bring this thread back to life. I was wondering how you-all are doing.

The weather has been good here in SW Fl. so training is enjoyable. I got out at 3:30AM today and walked a 10K just soaking up the peace and quiet. Returned to house and then left with DW for another 5 miles of walking. Will admit that the legs were a little tight from yesterday's 100 mile bicycle ride but on my 10K every mile got faster.

Personally I think road riding is an outstanding cross-training exercise. If you are able to get out on a bike and spend the time riding I feel that the benefits far surpass indoor biking or spinning. I love riding for hours on end and after all, walking a 1/2M or Full takes hours on end.:)

DW and I don't have anything cooking until the DL 1/2M so we are taking this time to improve our training methods compared to last year.

I hope things are going well for everybody.:thumbsup2

Hello John and other fellow walkers.

I've been out of pocket for a while with the flu and lots of life things going on but I'll be back training really soon.

Dave:hippie:

I just finished walking the Princess Half last weekend and had a great time! Now I'm gearing up for the DL1/2 in September. I do have another half scheduled in April, but I'm seriously considering skipping it. I just don't know if I'll enjoy it...I signed up for it on a whim because it was local and cheap at the time.

So, now I need some walking professionals' advice on how to speed up my walking. What should I do as step 1?? These 15:30 minute miles on the long distances just are not cutting it. I can do 14 on shorter 5K distances, but that's about it. Where to start?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter