Walking Place, for Wishers walking their races

Hello John and other fellow walkers.

I've been out of pocket for a while with the flu and lots of life things going on but I'll be back training really soon.

Dave:hippie:

Hope things get better for you real soon.:thumbsup2 Miss the Panda Ramblings. :)

I had the good fortune a couple of weeks ago to ride along with a group of racers from the McDonald's of Central & Southeastern Kentucky Cycling Team. Some fast younger riders. A great workout for the heart, lungs and legs.

I just finished walking the Princess Half last weekend and had a great time! Now I'm gearing up for the DL1/2 in September. I do have another half scheduled in April, but I'm seriously considering skipping it. I just don't know if I'll enjoy it...I signed up for it on a whim because it was local and cheap at the time.

So, now I need some walking professionals' advice on how to speed up my walking. What should I do as step 1?? These 15:30 minute miles on the long distances just are not cutting it. I can do 14 on shorter 5K distances, but that's about it. Where to start?

Bumping this to the next page in case it got lost. No advice. Sorry but hopefully someone will post some tips.

I've started adding running to the mix. I'm doing just the first few weeks of C25K since I have no intention of running alot. I would like to do Jeff Galloway's method of running 3 minutes followed by 1 minute recovery which should give me a 10 minute pace overall. If I was able to walk faster then I'd cut it down to 2 minutes of run. My walking alone is at a 14.5 minute pace which is good jump from last October's 16.5 minute pace.

Just thought I'd check in, and give this a bump. Was glad to see the thread become active again, as I had a 6 week lay off in my training and was having trouble finding the motivation to start up again. Seeing the activity here reminded me of what I was missing. So I'm back at it again. I'm training for the Hershey Half relay again in October, then I plan on taking the plunge and doing the Donald Half in January. I'm a little bit nervous about taking that step, but I've got over 9 months of training until then, and it IS what I was shooting for when I first starting doing some serious walking. And mine will be strictly walking. Now they've gone and introduced the Chip and Dale relay, so my husband is already talking about doing that one in 2013! And here I thought I was going to do one half marathon, just to be able to say I did it, and then back off a little. Silly me!! :lmao:
Anyway, anyone else doing the Donald in January? Do a lot of people walk this? My husband is planning to do this with me, but he's a bit slower than me and is worried about being at the back of the pack, or even getting swept. He wasn't that much slower than me at Hershey, and I was well above the pace requirement, so I really think he'll be fine. But any thoughts from those of you who have done this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Mindy

Just thought I'd check in, and give this a bump. Was glad to see the thread become active again, as I had a 6 week lay off in my training and was having trouble finding the motivation to start up again. Seeing the activity here reminded me of what I was missing. So I'm back at it again. I'm training for the Hershey Half relay again in October, then I plan on taking the plunge and doing the Donald Half in January. I'm a little bit nervous about taking that step, but I've got over 9 months of training until then, and it IS what I was shooting for when I first starting doing some serious walking. And mine will be strictly walking. Now they've gone and introduced the Chip and Dale relay, so my husband is already talking about doing that one in 2013! And here I thought I was going to do one half marathon, just to be able to say I did it, and then back off a little. Silly me!! :lmao:
Anyway, anyone else doing the Donald in January? Do a lot of people walk this? My husband is planning to do this with me, but he's a bit slower than me and is worried about being at the back of the pack, or even getting swept. He wasn't that much slower than me at Hershey, and I was well above the pace requirement, so I really think he'll be fine. But any thoughts from those of you who have done this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Mindy

Welcome back Mindy :cool1:

DW and I walked this year's Donald. We are registered for 2012 and will walk that together again. On Sunday I will compete in my 2nd Mickey for another Goofy. Plenty of people walking and the best thing to do is get to the coral early to start up front so there are lots of walkers behind.

BTW, there is a 2011 thread Dave started for us walkers so join in there...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2675855

Welcome back Mindy :cool1:

DW and I walked this year's Donald. We are registered for 2012 and will walk that together again. On Sunday I will compete in my 2nd Mickey for another Goofy. Plenty of people walking and the best thing to do is get to the coral early to start up front so there are lots of walkers behind.

BTW, there is a 2011 thread Dave started for us walkers so join in there...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2675855

Thanks for the info! I moved/quoted my post over there as well.

Mindy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter