Walking Place, for Wishers walking their races

windwalker

I need an Adventure
I thought I'd start a thread for those who were planning to walk thier races. We can post our daily training, help the ones who are going to walk their first race and talk training tips and training plans.

It's 6 mo till the January race weekend at WDW so it's time to get serious again about getting your walks in, getting your healthy habits started and time to drop the winter fluff.

I'm currently on my own mission to get back to my racing weight of 160 by cleaning up my diet. I've lost 8 lbs already and have 18 more to go.

Dave:hippie:

Walkers face some different issues than runners. Runners will normally be done quite a bit sooner than walkers so walkers must deal with being on the course longer. On a hot day that can mean 7 or more hours sweating in the sun, for a marathon walker.

A walker often must eat more on the course since they are there longer so it's very important to know how different energy foods react with your system. A cramping stomach in the middle of a long hot race is no fun. Know your reaction to different things ahead of time.

A walker is sweating just as much as a runner but sweating for often a lot longer. It's double important for a walker to begin drinking early and often. Waiting till you feel thirsty is to long, then your trying to play catch up.

Plan ahead of time for potty stops. Make sure you wear clothes that make that as easy as possible. If your walking a marathon in a Gumby costume you just might have some bad moments at the porta potty about 4 hours into the race and you are staying well hydrated.

It's also important to make sure your chaffing spots get attention, use a product like body glide on your chaffing areas. A marathon can be a nightmare if you have burning and chaffing for several hours.

Thanks for the great tips for us walkers.
I know for myself, when I'm training in the heat of summer I always use a fuel belt so that I have plenty of water with me.

Thanks for the great tips for us walkers.
I know for myself, when I'm training in the heat of summer I always use a fuel belt so that I have plenty of water with me.

Some of our walkers even carry an electro lyte replacement drink that they buy or make themselves. But it goes back to what I said before make sure you train with it before you race with it. Just as you do your self.

I don't know how I'm going to complete my next 1/2 marathon yet (probably Walk/run). But I completed my First half marathon as a walker and can attest to alot of what Dave said. On my long walks, I carried a fanny pack with a water bottle, a bottle of Gatorade, as well as a pack of powerbar gel blasts (they were free at CVS a couple of month ago and I had everyone I knew get me a pack). That gave me the fluid, electrolytes, and carbs needed to make it though. The time commitment is much greater than for runners of an equivalent distance. I did an 8 mile, two 9 mile, and a 10 mile long walk in training. All of those took between 2 and 3 hours to complete.

As a walker, you also need to be prepared to provide your own support. I've read stories of walker who were greeted by water stops that had already packed up and finish lines that were practically deserted. Fortunately, I haven't run in to this problem yet.

I try to research the races I'm planning on entering in before registering. I look to see if there is a pace requirement and if there is, do I think I can maintain that pace. As most of us know Disney requires a 16:00 mile pace for the marathon and half marathon. I would consider that walker friendly. Some race have more lenient pace requirement, some have more stringent. For example, here in Ohio where I love Cleveland has 18:30 for the half and full. Columbus has 17:00 for half and full. Akron on the other hand has 13:44 for the full and 18:30 for the half. Akron Obviously wants just runners and real race walkers entering the full marathon. Where pace requirement aren't set, I look at prior years results to see if the race attracts walkers. This is not always the best indicator because some smaller races don't report times over a certain time.

The invention of the timing chip was a God send for walkers. We can start toward the back where we are not in any one's way and still not get the time penalty we once did. Usually if we are determined and keep our pace we are passing other people the whole race if there is a big crowd.

Some of the things we don't wanna do are to get up in the front and be in the way of the faster runners. We don't want to earn that put down of being called "speed bumps". We don't want to walk more than 2 abreast, that one even goes for runners. Make room for passing. Another caution that new runners are often even more guilty of is to be running and stop to walk while they are in the middle of a group. Or even worse run till they get right in front of someone and then slow to a walk.

Running and walking are both sports but they are different sports that compliment each other. Run/walk is now one of the most common ways to finish a half or full marathon. With that new wave comes new responsibilities for the athlete to be a good race citizen.

I personally find that the best place to walk in a big race is close to the sides. Not right on the side because there will be runners that are working their way through the crowd by running on the very edges of the road.

Such great advice coming in! I will be doing the WDW 11 as my first 1/2. Right know I plan on walking but I am hoping that I will be able to run walk by Jan. I am doing good at keeping a 15 minute mile pace at the moment, pretty good for just starting.

I have seen people using fule belts. Where could I pick one up? More importantly, where can I get one for a plus size gal?

At what times should I start experimenting with different "fuel" for the course. I just finished week 2 of M4M....

Thanks for the great thread!

Chip timing is great, when it works. In Cleveland, my chip didn't work right and my timing is all messed up.

I was watching the start of the Cleveland Marathon, trying to spot me, but didn't get a shot of me at the start line. I was surprised how many walkers and slow runners were in the front to middle of the pack where they were "speed bumps". I also personally saw lots of runners who didn't get to the start line in time and are trying to weave in and out of a sea of walkers. Most races have pace teams for the runners, so you should be able to tell if you are too far up. For example, when I did the 10K at the USAF marathon last fall, I started way in the back but was over to the side where at the gun we were moving quicker than the middle but still walking to get the start line. After about a minute, I looker over to the side and noticed I was next to the 5 hour pace group for the marathon. So, instead of continuing to inch my way to the start, I slowed way down to get closer to the walkers.

Once the course thins out, I actually like staying close to the middle of one of the lanes. Often times roads can have a pronounced slant on the edges.

People also need to be aware of what division they need to enter in.

Casual Walking Division:100% walking but form does not need to meet official race walk standards.

Race Walking Division:100% walking Usually form must meet Olympic race walking standards. Form may be judged.

Walking Division: Could mean either Casual walking or Race Walking you need to check race information.

Running Division: People who don't meet the definition of the walking division in the race.

In running events, walking all the time is often on the honor system.

Nikki, there is a web site called Runningwarehouse.com they have the best prices I have found and if you enter the discount code WISHD up at the top right hand corner and hit enter you get an extra 15% off.

They Have everything you could possibly want.

Jeremy thanks for helping with the thread and yes most walk races are on the honor system. We try to police ourselves and explain to people who run in our races that we take our sport seriously.

A good time to test the gels, Gu and other electro lyte and calorie replacement is for a snack at home. If you can tolerate it for a snack then try it when your exercising close to your car or home in case it makes you cramp or sick. I learned that fried chicken is not tolerable for me before a race.:upsidedow

Always eat a little something before you take off on a training walk or before a race. I do a bagel and coffee in the morning before my training and a couple of hours before a race I eat a bagel and a bowl of cereal with skim milk and a banana.

If you don't eat a little something before your morning training your body will not release the energy you need to do your best. It's like when you diet and eat to few calories your body starts hording the calories and you feel listless and weak.

Staying well hydrated all the time is the best way to keep your body in balance. If you are not well hydrated going into a race or training you won't catch up by drinking during the race. Always drink a bottle of water in the evening before bed even though it means you will need the potty during the night, we lose a lot of water during sleep since that's when the body goes into healing overdrive.

Trail walking is a wonderful way to cross train for road walking. It takes more effort and you use your muscles a little differently. I got a lesson in that this morning when I did a trail race.

Another advantage of trail walking in a wooded park is how fresh the air is and how much better the air quality is. Trees and all plants breath in CO2 and breathes out oxygen. So the concentration of clean Oxygen is better. The plants filter the air also removing the high level of crap in it like car exhaust.

Some of our walkers even carry an electro lyte replacement drink that they buy or make themselves. But it goes back to what I said before make sure you train with it before you race with it. Just as you do your self.

Dave:hippie:[/QUOTE

I second that point Dave!

I learned very quickly during a race that Powerade makes me sick. It was a long, painful race after that. Now, I carry Gatorade with me. Since I travel to all of the races, I buy the powder and just throw it in my suitcase.

Today I want to address my opinion on a long time piece of advice that I believe is wrong.

We are told that because there is no wind resistance on the treadmill that to make it more like outside training you need to increase the incline to 1%.

The surface of a treadmill is soft like walking on grass or dirt. You walk by pushing off with your toes, the soft surface dampens your push requiring more effort for that push off and resulting forward motion. I strongly believe that more than over rides the tiny bit of wind resistance that you don't have indoors.

I have heard from many runners and walkers that they can go faster on the road than they could on the treadmill. They also say that the treadmill is more tiring.

Now my point here is that a treadmill is hard enough already without the 1% incline and most people will not continue with an activity that is to tiring. Exercise should energize you not tear you down.

Hey Dave, great advice as always. Been away from the boards for a bit not enough time to train and post:guilty:. Thank you as always for your great input and support.

Hey Dave, great advice as always. Been away from the boards for a bit not enough time to train and post:guilty:. Thank you as always for your great input and support.

I'm trying to get the walkers thread going here again. Walking is a big part of what WISH is all about. Running is wonderful but if the running isn't for you walking is perfectly fine and walkers are real athletes.

I want to talk a little about shoes today and ask those, long time WISH racers. who walk their races to help me out here. Please post what kind of arch you have and what shoe you have had good success with.

I have high arches and the rule of thumb for that is a cushion or light stability shoe with a low heel and plenty of padding. I normally wear a 9.5 D but for half and full marathons I wear a size 10 D. The larger size allows me to avoid the sore toes when my feet swell from hours on the road.

I like the Mizuno brand because I have duck feet and like a lot of toebox room. I don't like for my feet to feel squeezed. Your power as a walker comes from the toe push off and you need room in the toebox for a good stride.

Thanks for continuing this thread and adding advice, Dave!

I'm a run/walk interval person, but I'd like to learn more about walking.
And I'm also thinking of race walking a marathon.

I whole-heartedly agree about the treadmill! Adding the incline is unnecessary. It may help for going up small hills on a race course, but otherwise not needed. I am nearly a minute faster per mile outside, with the same perceived effort.

Thank you Nicole. Yep if someone has never walked a marathon they have no idea what a pleasent experience it is for a well trained walker. You get a longer and more vivid experience that when running. When I ran I was so focused on the effort that I missed a lot of what was going on around me.

I totally agree, I find it so much harder walking on the TM and my pace isn't nearly as fast. However, the funny thing is I find it easier to jog on the TM makes no sense at all I know.

I like being a walker, I just want to be a quicker walker. I don't like being so worried about being swept. Doing some serious training over the next 6 months to make sure that doens't happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter