VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Just checking in my Happy Place before heading out too work!
Sleepy, I agree on GP and the identity crisis. It could be such a great place. It seems they need someone to grab its reins and make it fly like Santa on a Christmas Eve!! But they keep trying to reinvent it and not sure thats the right thing to do. Our 1st and 2nd times there, we loved it, the feel, the vibe. Sitting by the waterside in the heat of the day whilst the breeze blew, nice. But after they started the podium thing and making it feel a little stuffy, well for us, the dream died. We found ourselves going back to the familiar "Territory" for a small meal or drinks.

DiznyDi & I also had a great time with Granny & Mrs. Granny at GP when it first opened. Nice atmosphere, good views, nice breeze (great company, too!). The podium went up and we still had an OK time, but it felt different, as we didn't feel we could leisurely enjoy the venue without feeling we were making others wait for dinner. I also was never really thrilled with the menu: stuff like oysters on artisan bread topped with mongo leaves, some obscure animal milk cheese sauce, and topped off with dinkies from the bottom of a fish tank. :crazy2: Just wasn't my kind of menu. Hot dogs are always good. Maybe some wings, onion rings, or other pub grub. Yeah, I'm that kind of guy. :confused3 And the thoughts of AP going character . . . . not going to go there this morning. Like Jimmy, I'm just getting my morning started and need to begin the day energized. Enough will happen throughout the day to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Just checking in my Happy Place before heading out too work!
Sleepy, I agree on GP and the identity crisis. It could be such a great place. It seems they need someone to grab its reins and make it fly like Santa on a Christmas Eve!! But they keep trying to reinvent it and not sure thats the right thing to do. Our 1st and 2nd times there, we loved it, the feel, the vibe. Sitting by the waterside in the heat of the day whilst the breeze blew, nice. But after they started the podium thing and making it feel a little stuffy, well for us, the dream died. We found ourselves going back to the familiar "Territory" for a small meal or drinks.
DiznyDi & I also had a great time with Granny & Mrs. Granny at GP when it first opened. Nice atmosphere, good views, nice breeze (great company, too!). The podium went up and we still had an OK time, but it felt different, as we didn't feel we could leisurely enjoy the venue without feeling we were making others wait for dinner. I also was never really thrilled with the menu: stuff like oysters on artisan bread topped with mongo leaves, some obscure animal milk cheese sauce, and topped off with dinkies from the bottom of a fish tank. :crazy2: Just wasn't my kind of menu. Hot dogs are always good. Maybe some wings, onion rings, or other pub grub. Yeah, I'm that kind of guy. :confused3 And the thoughts of AP going character . . . . not going to go there this morning. Like Jimmy, I'm just getting my morning started and need to begin the day energized. Enough will happen throughout the day to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
The whole notion for GP seemed rushed; someone(s) somewhere during the process didn't think through the identity thing. Of course, people from the pool areas were going to come there, grab a snack, and then grab seats. It's the first thing Luv and I thought when it was announced. So, now you have to wait to be seated like a TS. . .only it doesn't have enough menu items to truly be a TS. I enjoy alcohol, but who wants to sit at a bar at 11 a.m.? Offering an alternative to the new RF for breakfast was a great idea. . .only it's a fancy pool bar so not enough people went there, I guess. So, now we have two bars, one TS, one QS, and if well-sourced rumors are correct, no Signature after 28 Oct--in fact, no AP after that date for an undetermined length of time. I cannot fathom how they ever got into this mess.

Sound like someone at WL is trying to reinvent the wagon wheel, and the wheel wasn't broken, maybe just needed a bit of greasing to make it run a little smoother

Have faith fellow groupies! Geyser Point is still the new kid on the block and as such it is bound to have a few growing pains. Write to them and let them know your ideas, what you experienced in the past, the good, bad and ugly. Maybe they'll bring back some of what you loved such as open seating.

The worst case (and I really don't see this happening) would be they turn it into an event venue only, sort of what they have done with the was-to-be community hall area on the other side of the building.

GP has been an unmitigated mistake. It has had an identity crisis since opening. The official Disney site also lists nothing available for breakfast.
This. Shut the joke down, get rid of the fake drop ceiling "Reunion Station", gut the interior, and produce a REAL Restaurant.
Or not. WDWs choice.

I think it is a shame that they reduced or limited the menu at Roaring Fork and now close Geyser Point for breakfast.
I agree. Pretty bummed about this. December is the first time back at VWL in many years and we were so looking forward to AP. Also, I was glad that there was more than one option for breakfast. I don't eat red meat/pork and Roaring Fork doesn't give me a lot to choose from. We hadn't planned to "take breakfast" to have in our room this trip, but now we are having to reconsider our plans.

wow....I'm finally going to be staying here for the 1st time ever, and we do enjoy a nice QS meal or 2...This kinda puts a damper on things, and what I've heard about RF taking a while, just for coffee and a Danish...That can't/ doesn't sound promising....Either way. we'll make it work, for nothing usually gets me down once we are truly ) HOME :-)teeth:

OK, I’ll weigh in on GP. When we were there during Easter week we loved it! We had lunch once being seated (it was slow, easy in). Another time we scored seats at the bar around 8:00 PM for drinks and split a burger. We loved the atmosphere and location. Now, regarding breakfast I feel it’s really tough. We’re at Disney and many folks are heading to the parks. And, in the morning if you are going to have breakfast and get a late start many people will go to Whispering Canyon for the all you care to eat platter. Or, like me, go to Roaring Fork and grab stuff to go and bring it back to the family to eat in our villa before heading out for the days plans. So, the hang out and enjoy the GP atmosphere is probably not what people are looking for in the morning as much. When we were there at Easter they had cut breakfast to Fri, Sat, & Sun — wish I could have tried the Easter breakfast menu as it looked good but we were off to Blizzard Beach after a candy grab for the kids. I think the place is going to go through changes for awhile.
Maybe they should try a build your own Bloody Mary bar to attract morning folks....but irregardless the place is way too small to accommodate more than 10% of those staying at the lodge any given morning from 6-10 AM. For me, it’s meant to be a complimentary alternative to other solid offerings at the resort. Where Territory Lounge is a quiet lounge, GP takes on a bit of a sports bar feel — good to have both.
I will wait to pass judgement on the AP thing, but I take solace in knowing that the Contemporary is a lovely boat ride away from two very solid table service options (both very classy IMHO). Well, one signature and one regular anyways (and I don’t count Chef Mickey’s as that place was a one and done for me - ick)

We ate at GP a couple of times and loved it. It was very pleasant eating outside on a January afternoon, lol. I really like it.

Last October, it was awful though, there was some sort of bug infestation. We were told male mosquitoes, but I think they were midges. (look like mosquitoes, do not bite, attracted to light). They were swarming to the point that they were in your face, mouth, food, etc. (It was bizarre, we grabbed food to go one night, they closed early to spray.) I think this was a freak situation.

We've been to GP 4 or 5 times and my overall impression is that I enjoy it. It is probably too small to be anything more than a QS but the menu is a bit too esoteric for the average WDW QS customer (and I count myself a part of this illustrious group). The couch type seating, though comfortable, takes up too much valuable real estate within GP so it might be better to replace them with all table seating. A few more shaded areas along the lakefront outside of GP would be nice as well for those who just want to grab something quick and enjoy the view without sitting inside GP. As @Dizny Dad suggested, concentrating on pub grub and drinks might work better than the current offerings.

Anyway, I hope they figure it out. It's great place to kill an hour of so while the kids are swimming.

Last edited:
GP is dead meat. Hoping that I see demo crews, repairing this failed concept.....

1) Get rid of failed "Reunion Station".
2) Expand space into the SIG it should have been.
3) Address the issue of a REAL "Common Area" for CCV Owners.

GP is dead meat. Hoping that I see demo crews, repairing this failed concept.....

1) Get rid of failed "Reunion Station".
2) Expand space into the SIG it should have been.
3) Address the issue of a REAL "Common Area" for CCV Owners.

Aside from the Buffalo burger on the menu, I disagree with the notion “GP is dead meat”. Actually I think most folks like the space, and I know I like the bar. I think everyone is just debating on the menu. Thing is, I think it was always trying to be an upscale bar with upscale appetizers and a couple nice entrees. After all, you have RF, WC, AP, & TL (and the QS right next to it) on property. As a result they had to make the offerings unique and special and not copy offerings elsewhere on property. All that and keeping related to the whole WL theme. I mean, they couldn’t throw up a sushi bar and have it fit.

It's been a few weeks since our trip to DL, so I thought as a Wake Up Wednesday post, I'd post a few more pics and tell a tale or two.
Our first meal
Jazz%20Kitchen_zpsttfisr39.jpg

Boudoir balls--very good! (And two hidden Mickeys)
Jazz%203_zpsvzquhdtb.jpg

Most excellent bread pudding!
Jazz%205_zpsw6bk6ap8.jpg

Kitchen in our 1BR
1BR%201_zpss1czrs9z.jpg

View from our 1BR
Catal%205%20night%20view_zpsijgj0flr.jpg

More to come later, and happy hump day!

I am so excited and happy. This has nothing to do with Disney or our beloved lodge but I have to share anyway. Our oldest daughter is the newest member of the Carver Elementary Special Education Dept. It's not the exact job she wanted - but it is a big step closer and they said they will work with her and get her ready for the job she does want. She has been subbing for the school district the past two years. Finally she is full time.

Aside from the Buffalo burger on the menu, I disagree with the notion “GP is dead meat”. Actually I think most folks like the space, and I know I like the bar. I think everyone is just debating on the menu. Thing is, I think it was always trying to be an upscale bar with upscale appetizers and a couple nice entrees. After all, you have RF, WC, AP, & TL (and the QS right next to it) on property. As a result they had to make the offerings unique and special and not copy offerings elsewhere on property. All that and keeping related to the whole WL theme. I mean, they couldn’t throw up a sushi bar and have it fit.
So your family has BOOKED Reunion Station? Happy for you.

I am so excited and happy. This has nothing to do with Disney or our beloved lodge but I have to share anyway. Our oldest daughter is the newest member of the Carver Elementary Special Education Dept. It's not the exact job she wanted - but it is a big step closer and they said they will work with her and get her ready for the job she does want. She has been subbing for the school district the past two years. Finally she is full time.
Congrats! It's a foot in the door, and I'm sure she'll get what she wants before long.

Wonderful News!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter