US refund after 15 mins!

Why should anyone be insulted that someone else does not like what you like? I LOVE the MK, but I know several adults who think I am nuts for loving it as much as I do and view it as a "kid" park. To each their own, that's just one fewer person in front of me on line.

I haven't been to USF in around 10 years, but I remember enjoying it when I did go there. Since then we have spent a LOT of time at Disney, and I am personally glad that this thread was posted because now that a couple of people have expressed disappointment in this park, I have adjusted my expectations accordingly. I am still really looking forward to riding some old favorites, like back to the future, and trying out some of the new stuff, but if the place is not as well themed as I am used to at Disney, it's doubtful that I will be disappointed now that I expect that. I definately won't be getting up early to go there since I detest getting up early anyway, I would be made even MORE cranky by nothing being open. In spite of all of the negativity, I think this thread has been helpful.

As far as USF not having the "history" that Disney has, I think that when people talk about the Disney "history" they are pretty much referring to Walt. Especially with the whole "100 years of magic" celebration going on, people are especially aware of all of the wonderful innovations that Walt was responsible for. I've seen several documentaries and museum type exhibits about his life and I think his enthusiasm, charisma and sheer joy in what he had created still comes through in the parks today. People may argue about how much that has diminished or not, but the fact is that classic attractions like Pirates of the Caribbean hold tremendous nostalgia for people. My husband has this great picture of him with Mickey and Minnie 30 years ago. I think I'd be hard pressed to find someone who took a picture with a 6' rocky and bullwinkle during the same time frame.

I personally don't see what the big deal is about leaving after only 15 minutes. What difference does it make if you stay someplace 15 minutes or 3 hours? I personally trust my instincts about most things I do and if something doesn't feel right to me, it doesn't feel right period. It was great of US to refund her money, but if she had said "well, I was here for 3 hours and tried everything and didn't like it" they probably would've been much more reluctant to issue a refund (and with good reason). BTW, I have seen Disney do the same (refund based on a poor experience). I think it all depends on the individual that you deal with at either place.

People post negative stuff about Disney on the Disney boards all the time. Nothing is perfect and people will have negative experiences. A lot of people get personally offended by those comments but I bet even more people who don't post on a regular basis can glean something useful from them. I find them most useful to bring my sometimes sky-high expectations back down to reality, but also to figure out what to do if something does go wrong on my vacation.

Lisa

Its not so much dissing universal, people are trying to get their point across. Its the whole not give Universal a chance and the whole saying don't judge a book by it's cover. If I went to MK for the first time and only walk up MSUSA and think that this is the whole park and demand my money back, people would be b*tching me out. So people are angry at is that people wouldn't give Universal a chance. Yes, Walt had alot of good theories for WDW but everything start going down hill ever since Eisner got his sweet a*s involved. They lack in guest services, technology, caring to needs of diabled guests. With the technology two of their most recent rides with manufactured rides based upon Dumbo. If you keep adding low key attractions your going to lose guests. With the disabled guests, guests can remain in wheel chairs and still enjoy majority of the ries at UO. MIB got special cars. So does Cat in The Hat, Caro-seuss-el, one fish, jaws, ET, Blutos, Kong, Earthquake and I belive Ripsaw. Most of the rides at Disney are wheelchair accessible but even those that aren't they can still modify RVs so that they could acomadate those guests.

We went to IoA and Universal for the first time last summer and we loved it. We like thrill rides, so found a lot to do at IoA, but we also really enjoyed Universal, especially MIB. We plan to go back when our youngest child is old enough to ride most of the rides and probably concentrate more on the Universal parks than WDW.

I also don't understand how 15 minutes would be enough time to know if you will like it or not. Maybe I'm just a slow learner.

I also don't like AK, but didn't complain when we returned from there January 2001. As a matter of fact we even returned to AK last August for a few hours and I went back with my sister this last January and tried to keep an open mind. That wasn't easy when all I wanted to be doing was riding ToT and RnR at MGM. Even a park that I don't prefer took me longer than 15 minutes.

I can understand if the poster spent the day there and then wrote about her bad experience, but I don't see how a person could even walk through the park in that amount of time, much less form an opinion.

T&B

We were in Disney and Universal last week. Funny but we walked into MK, it was SOOOO crowded, with hour waits for everything, and we had to push our way through the crowds. We turned around, got our money back and left the park. This is the absolute truth. This was last Friday.

On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday we went to the Hard Rock, had FOTL, had no waits, no massive crowds and had a ball! What a difference! I didn't miss the "history" one bit. And anyone who has experienced rides like Terminator and Spiderman could hardly describe Universal as "lame". Terminator is the only attraction I have ever seen ANYWHERE, Disney included, that the audience clapped, whistled and cheered at the end. We saw it 3 times during our stay and it got the same reaction after each performance. Hardly the mark of a "lame" park.

We saw it 3 times during our stay and it got the same reaction after each performance. Hardly the mark of a "lame" park.

The term "lame" definitely lies in the eyes of the beholder...and I can't really imagine it with reference here!:rolleyes:

Karen

As a veteran of both Disney and US, I think I could honestly say that I have found faults in all of the parks - crowds, long lines, rides, etc. But this is sometimes expected or cannot be helped. And this is our choice to spend our vacation with the chances we take. And I choose to keep going back.

Now IMHO - put me on a park bench (sometimes) in any park at Disney or US and I am happy. I AM IN FLORIDA AND I AM ON VACATION. It is the fun you make out of it!!!!

The most frustrating thing is waiting for Disney to post their May hours!!!!!

I've never been to the MK when it hasn't been a least somewhat crowded, even the end of January when MGM was a ghost town. I still like the MK, but the touring has to be planned so much more than the other parks.

The sad part is Betty has spent more time on this message board posting about her 15 minute visit than she spent in the actual park.

Did you ever visit this message board before your trip? Have you purchased a guide book for Universal? Did you know that guest services will work with you to plan your entire day at the park? They do more than just issue refunds!!!

From 9am to noon you had the choice of experiencing ET, MIB, Twister, Back To The Future, Jaws, Kong, Animal Planet Live, and Beetlejuice.

You could have also gotten something to eat or just strolled around the park. You could have also strolled around CityWalk for a few hrs or visit the Hard Rock and Portofino Hotels. There is also Islands of Adventure, if you were so dissatisfied with Universal, you could have asked what attractions were open at IOA and went to that park instead.

You don't like Universal because you never really gave it a fair chance. It amazes me that you will spend money on tickets and transportation to the park and not even bother to research the attractions that you might be interested in. If you were truly interested in experiencing the park, you would not have left.

It's sad that you waste your time posting this nonsense and don't really give any justification for leaving the park other than you are a devout Disney fan who will not settle for anything but perfection from its competitors. Have you been to MGM Studios or Epcot when the park first opens? Not all of the attractions are open till a few hrs. later!!!

You should learn not to let minor annoyances get in the way of your ability to enjoy your vacation. So the attraction you wanted to visit would not open until noon, experience the rest of the park and then at noon come back to it!!! Don't let it bring you down and ruin your day.

If you want to waste your vacation time and money getting upset and throwing a fit over the fact that the Curious George area isn't open till noon, that's your perrogative. I'm sure you would enjoy yourself a lot more if you relaxed instead of leaving the park in a hissy fit after you found out the Curious George wasn't open yet.

Oh I am so glad someone kicked this dead horse ;).

During the MG Con so many of you were talking about Betty's post and because I had gone to Florida early, I hadn't read it and didn't know what you all were talking about. I felt like I was left out of a private joke. :(

Poor thing, she was so unhappy and imagine, being able to make up your mind so fast!

I have loved US since I first went years ago to USH - and I know this was before MGM and so I would assume what Disney meant to copy. I too have been very disappointed at a park - in 1995 when we did the tram tour at MGM expecting it to be the same as the tram tour at USH, HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! MGM tour is not even close to the original and a huge waste of time. We were so happy with USO even back in 1995 because it seemed to us the highlights of the USH tram tour were each made into an entire ride at USO. :bounce:

I have since forgiven MGM for their lame tram ride (which they have never improved) and enjoyed the park when Ohai and I visited last year. I still find it a mismash of themes and wish that it would rely more on the terrific MGM history.

I am very sad that Universal is giving up some of their history, specifically Kong, but that is another post. ;)

I personally prefer Disneyland to WDW and wish USH could be made more like UO. I would be very happy and save lots of money. :D

Donna

I am not sure what USH (Hollywood) has to do with US in Orlando. The Hollywood park is very classy and cool. US in Orlando is another story. I think people are missing some keys to her story.

Visiting first thing in the morning. There is something disturbing and undescribable about going there first thing. She may not be the type that is going to run on to MIB or BTF when the gates open. Most parks are set up to WARM the slower people up to enjoying the park first thing in the morning such as MK's Main Street (but MGM does not do a good job either).
I visited at the same time and I did not follow my instinct and a friend who traveled with me is still tramatized by that day (high expectations too early in the morning). I stuck it out. I sat through Terminator 2 while annoying people stuck their hands out to grab optical illusions. (My contacts do not seem to allow me to see 3-D and the suggestion from this board a few years ago to open my eyes really wide does not work for me either.) Got stuck on earthquack, walked by lame Jaws, sat with a bunch of little kids in the Nickelodeon stage (I clearly did not belong there), felt sick on the Hana Barbara simulator, looked for the "tram" ride that they advertised but never found it, saw more places serving burgers and fries than I could imagine. Then I noticed there was a water show sometime late that night, ugh! I couldn't make it. I did enjoy my $10 pasta and stuff buffet that I'm sure is no longer there anymore and left after a few hours. It pays to follow your instinct. . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter