Thinking of opening my own LSS - need your input

I just got the Scraparatus from HSN. I have checked Micheal, Joanns, and Hobby Lobby-none of them knew what I was talking about. Archivers has the tool but not the dies. I am looking for holiday dies to use with it. I'm a newbie to scrapping so I am looking for tools that serve more the one function. This is very wishful thinking, but I wonder if there is a secondary market outside of WDW for discontinued/limited quantity end of the year type kits, albums or supplies from theme parks.

Shauna the pail sounds really cute! That's the kind of thing I am looking for. I remeber seeing the crop-a-dial the first time on QVC or HSN and being amazed at what it could punch through. I want that wow factor.

I'll see if Sarah has a pic of the project. It was a kid project for 4th of July but was so cute that several adults wanted to make them also. I think she bought the pails at Target.

Yzerbear I am 30-45 min. north of Columbus, about an 1 1/2-2 hour drive from Toledo depending on construction. As long as you don't come in singing the Michigan fight song you're welcome ;)

Hmmm . . . I wonder when the Wings are playing the Blue Jackets. I've always wanted to go see the Wings on the road.

And don't worry about the Michigan fight song :scared: , I'm a Michigan State fan! ;) :) GO SPARTIES!!! :) :cheer2:

My LSS did a SUPER-CUTE metal pail that she punched with eyelets using the crop-a-dile. It made the pail look luminaria-ish. V. v. cute.

My favorite thing right now is punching eyelets through plastic slides. You can do so many cute things since it cuts through thick stuff.

If you tell me what you're leaning towards, I'll brainstorm for you.

that's what I was going to say. Highlight the different things it will cut, plastic, cork, metal, chipboard etc. Need some product testers??? :thumbsup2

And highlight the ease of the tool especially on the mickeyhead eyelets, those suckers are tough. Maybe do a before and after, one with a traditional eyelet setter (that sucker will mutilate the Mickey eyelet) vs. the crop-a-dile.

I'd like to be a product tester too!

By the way, DH gave the green light for the all night swap on the 22nd. :thumbsup2

ok, i started reading this and thought "wish that was close to me" then i realized, WE BOTH LIVE IN CENTRAL OHIO!! which town?? where? huh? huh?

i'm in Marysville, but shush! don't tell my DH i posted that online :rolleyes:

i would LOVE to come for a dis-scrap-meet!! me too! ME TOO!!!!

i can't really answer your questions, i don't shop at LSS b/c we don't have one! we did for awhile but it closed a couple years ago. I miss the variety but not the high prices. my closest is 30 mins away! will you be closer??

Hmmm . . . I checked the Red Wings schedule and they don't play the Blue Jackets in Columbus until November around Thanksgiving, so that won't work and don't play there again until later in the season. That would be the perfect excuse for driving down to Ohio. I know if I don't have a good reason my sister won't agree to this crazy idea. :scratchin I will have to put my thinking cap on.

ohMom I sent you a PM.

I remember those buckets. I think I have some mini buckets I bought on clearance last year in christmas colors from Walmart. I like the idea of comparing the old setter to the crop-a-dial.

Yzerbear Michigan State's ok. Come see the Blue Jackets lose. It's almost a sure thing.

Ok I was working on my orders, and I can't believe I am saying this, I'm hitting overload with all the great products available. I need your help with a couple of things.

1. Have you ever used provocraft cardstock? What did you think?
2. If you could only pick one what new product would you buy?
3. What 3 items would your dream LSS carry?
4. What's your favorite scrapbook line i.e. rusty pickle, bobunny, karen foster etc.

I haven't responded to this yet, because I've been thinking...but now I better post before I totally forget.

1. No, I'm a Bazzill girl. If I didn't like the texture, and the quality, the other thing that would put Bazzill over the edge is that it seems all the "big" paperlines have a list of Bazzill cardstock matches. I find them when I need them online, but I think it would be great to have a post-it-note size tear off right by the PP line with the list of matching colors. I know I get overwhelmed with trying to match stuff, but if I didn't have to think.

2. The products I have on the top of my wish list are the Making Memories paper trimmer (although I've decided I really need two trimmers. I need the old Fiskars type for cutting out insides of frames, and you can't do that with a guillotine cutter), the Basic Grey Magnetic Mat, probably a crop-a-dile and then I am falling for the cricut, even though I'd rather have a wishblade...darn Disney carts!

3. Complete line of EK Success/Sandylion Disney products (duh), Prima flowers, Bazzill paper, and TPCShauna's store's wall. Everyone has a good selection of basic brads, but I would like themed shape ones and while I know I can order online, I want to buy them in person too.

4. This is where I get stuck. I don't really have that much PP and what I do have was mostly bought for specific projects. In general, I think PP is too expensive. I buy some at M's and J's 4 or more for $1, so it's really hard for me to buy paper that is $.80 or $1, or $1.20 per sheet. I have some Basic Grey, but not a lot of it really works for me. I love the Oh, Baby Girl and Boy lines. I have recently fallen in love with Imaginisce's paper lines. But they are doublesided, so more expensive. I bought what I have on clearance. I know at my LSS, there are several less expensive lines that I like when I walk buy (closer to $.50 or $.60 a sheet) but I can't remember the names, I am going to the LSS next week, so I will try to remember to check. In addition to Ms and J's paper, I primarily buy my paper from the discount area in Recollections and my LSS has a section of discontinued stock that they sell for $.40 a sheet. The exception, is if I need something specific for a swap or gift project.

Yzerbear - you should have some great scrapping memories from your Salem trip - btw, did you look into the haunted house tours? Take you into downtownSalem, walking tour of houses and buildings with a "strange past," and through a great neighborhood of old homes and finally the cemetary. What a great time of year to be there- enjoy it! PS, you are definitely going to the Salem Witch Museum, right?????:teacher:

Bobcat - it sounds like you are truly a good planner! Wish i lived close enough to "stop on in!" I wish you great success and with all the assistance you're getting here, it is sure to be a success.

ummm.......foliage?

That won't work. Since we are going out east in October, that would be a better excuse for that trip. I have to think because if I tell her I want to go all the way down to Ohio to just go to a scrapbook store, she wouldn't agree to go. So I need a good cover story where we can just happen to stop by a scrapbook store on the way back home. ;) Stupid NHL schedule. Must keep thinking . . . :scratchin

Yzerbear Michigan State's ok. Come see the Blue Jackets lose. It's almost a sure thing.
The Blue Jackets losing would be perfect! ;) I'm such a bad fan. I didn't go see the Wings play at all last year and didn't watch many of the games. Though I have heard lots of good things about the arena in Columbus and games between them and the Wings are always fun. Of course the one year when I want them to play the Jackets early in the year is when they don't until the end of the year. Grrrr.

Yzerbear - you should have some great scrapping memories from your Salem trip - btw, did you look into the haunted house tours? Take you into downtownSalem, walking tour of houses and buildings with a "strange past," and through a great neighborhood of old homes and finally the cemetary. What a great time of year to be there- enjoy it! PS, you are definitely going to the Salem Witch Museum, right?????:teacher:
I don't have the list in front of me, but I know that the Witch Museum is on the list of places to see. Other sites I know are on the list are the House of Seven Gables, Witch Village, Pirate Museum, and Wax Museum. There is more, but I can't remember it all right now. I spent most of Friday working on the agenda for the trip, so you would think I could remember what was going on, but my brain takes weekends off. ;) I know my sister wants to do one of the ghost tour things, but I can't remember the name of it right now. We're going to be there for the parade to kick off the Halloween season, so that should be fun. Neither of us have ever been out East, so this is going to be really fun. We are also going to drive over to Concord to see Ralph Waldo Emerson's house since he is one of my favorite authors and see the Battleground there. And take the train down to Boston for a day and do the Freedom Trail. Its a jam packed trip with lots to see and do, but it will be fun. :) I already have ideas for scrapbook pages for the Emerson House and Battleground! ;) :rotfl: :lmao:

OK, back to the regularly scheduled thread. ;) :happytv:

GERMAN VILLAGE OKTOBERFEST Friday, September 28 - Sunday, September 30
Fri 12 Noon - 12 Midnight, Sat 12 Noon - 12 Midnight and Sun 12 Noon - 8 PM

Society Signature Event
Admission: $8.00 - Adults; Children twelve and under FREE!
Description: German Village Oktoberfest is a celebration that blends a time-honored German festival with the vitality and charm of a thriving urban neighborhood. Oktoberfest features traditional German polka as well as various other styles of music, a variety of authentic German food and other festival favorites. Don't miss Marketplatz filled with artisans and unique shops. Join us at McFerson Commons in the Arena District for "one of the top 100 events in North America!" Be sure to check our website for updates, price breaks, entertainment, and special offers. For more information on our great new festival location, go to Arena-District.org
Notes: Friday, September 28, 12 Noon- 12 Midnight, Saturday, September 29, 12:00N-12 Midnight, Sunday, September 30, 12:00N-8:00PM

I know at my LSS, there are several less expensive lines that I like when I walk buy (closer to $.50 or $.60 a sheet) but I can't remember the names, I am going to the LSS next week, so I will try to remember to check.

Made it to the LSS. The names I couldn't think of were Karen Foster, Bo Bunny and Making Memories.

It's been a busy week! The local paper interviewed me for an article on new business' and it was in the paper the next day, I placed my first radio ad, went and bought stock from my local suppliers so lots of hours in the car, continued work on the store to get it open in two weeks, and of course school and sports season is in full swing. I've got a raging cold this weekend and I am going to try and take it easy tonight and tomorrow so I can start it all again Monday. But you know what I haven't been this happy in a long time!

Things are moving along getting the shop ready. I should have my final coat of paint on Monday and carpets cleaned by Wednesday so I can start moving things in the end of the week.

Wow! somehow I got unsubscribed from this, you have really pulled everything together fast for your LSS, wish I would see the finished product, but OH is just a pick out of the way for me.

Wishing you the best with your grand opening.

Lisa

Sooo, tell us everything!!
How is it going?
Do you need us to come and help you get ready instead of coming and sleeping on your floor?
Be happy to help any way I can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter